• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: WWE Network to include EVERY Raw/Smackdown/PPV ever, Netflix Style, $12/mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee-Row

Banned
Is it going to be app based or do you still have to have cable to subscribe? Going Netflix and this would be hella cheap for me without the cable subscription.

Haven't seen any wrestling since the Stone Cold/The Rock rivalry, if its available in the uk I'd sub and rewatch the Attitude ara again.

strobogo

Banned
Imagine WBF shows. All in stunning HD so you can see all the musculature, striations, and power! I'm in for that.

Nekofrog

Banned
LOL at all you people wanting WCW stuff up there.

legitshook.com

Read the 1998/1999 reviews and think really hard if that's something you want to see. Look at the 1998/1999 gif threads and think about paying to watch that.

WCW had, hands down, the singlebest under and midcard in the US. And a healthy portion of airtime was dedicated to it. If you're a Jericho fan, you'll never see him better than when he was in WCW.

krae_man

If this includes every new PPV and I can watch Raw live every week. Hook it into my veins. They should have done this years ago.

Trust me on this, WCW doesn't hold up nearly as well as you think it does, even with the great mid card.

It really does depending on what years you're thinking of. 95-98 was a great run imo, I've watched some on youtube but it would be great to have them all in order. Jericho, Malenko, Juvie, Kidman, Ultimo Dragon, Eddie, etc all put on excellent shows even for regular Nitro/Thunder matches.

If this includes every new PPV and I can watch Raw live every week. Hook it into my veins. They should have done this years ago.

They aren't going to put live shows on this. That would conflict with their tv contracts. There is going to be a stipulation of some type of delay.

strobogo

Banned
It really does depending on what years you're thinking of. 95-98 was a great run imo, I've watched some on youtube but it would be great to have them all in order. Jericho, Malenko, Juvie, Kidman, Ultimo Dragon, Eddie, etc all put on excellent shows even for regular Nitro/Thunder matches.

No. I watched and reviewed every show from 1998-2001 over the past year and half or so. Despite many fewer great wrestlers, you'll get more good-great matches on Raw and NXT than WCW at it's peak. All the great wrestlers in the world can't do much in 6 minutes every week. Occasionally you'd get a really good 10 minute match. Usually you'd get 5-6 minutes and a few good ones on PPV. And you wouldn't get shit on Thunder. Thunder was a joke the entire time it was on TV.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Depends on the catalog of footage. I spend $12 a month in worse ways than this, so it isn't really that, but if the archive footage is weak then they shouldn't bother. It should be all the digitized footage they own (WCW, ECW, WWF) at least and I'd be down. Even if the older footage doesn't hold up well, being able to watch it again and decide for myself is a good enough way to spend 12 bucks.

krae_man

They aren't going to put live shows on this. That would conflict with their tv contracts. There is going to be a stipulation of some type of delay.

Iive stream the cable feed through the app. Sell Raw to USA like normal, let them count the eyeballs in the app when they sell ad space.

Either cut the cord completely, or make it a cable channel. This in between stuff is dumb.

Holy shit can't believe it took them this long to get a reality check. Cable companies are greedy fucks it's best to do your own thing. It's best for business!

With that said, include monthly PPV's in the sub and i'll drop $15-$20 easily.

RyudBoy

Pretty cool if it turns out to be true. Would definitely sign up for the first 6 months just so I could get Wrestlemania 30 and catch up on some attitude era Raws and Smackdowns.

Iive stream the cable feed through the app. Sell Raw to USA like normal, let them count the eyeballs in the app when they sell ad space.

Either cut the cord completely, or make it a cable channel. This in between stuff is dumb.

They make the majority of their income off tv contracts. They wanted this as a cable channel, but cable networks didn't want anything to do with it. That's why you are seeing this years later as an online only option. They will try to spin it as them being innovative though.

Snaku

Banned
They make the majority of their income off tv contracts. They wanted this as a cable channel, but cable networks didn't want anything to do with it. That's why you are seeing this years later as an online only option. They will try to spin it as them being innovative though.

Except now that it has been years since it was first proposed, cable is on the way out, and streaming subscriptions are the future. So it's actually a good thing that cable companies jerked them around for so long.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Unless plans have changed it will also give you every new ppv live except for wrestlemania.

If you get it for six months though when it launches next year you will get Wrestlemania 30, a deal which basically pays for those six months right there.

Linkhero1

Would be great if they include all of WCW and ECW. Maybe all their other shows including Sunday Night Heat and NXT. I would totally sign up for this.

Except now that it has been years since it was first proposed, cable is on the way out, and streaming subscriptions are the future. So it's actually a good thing that cable companies jerked them around for so long.

It's going to be a long time before cable is on it's way out. I'd say WWE will be out of business before cable is gone as a viable source of getting entertainment. There are still 103 million cable subscribers in the US and under 30 million netflix subscribers. Obviously there is quite a bit of crossover between those two numbers as well. From 2005 to 2013 paid cable subscribers is down by about 10%. So roughly they are losing a little over 1% of their customers per year. Are you saying Vince wouldn't want access to 103 million people compared to the 500k or less that will sign up for this?

legitshook.com

Read the 1998/1999 reviews and think really hard if that's something you want to see. Look at the 1998/1999 gif threads and think about paying to watch that.

It's all nostalgia. I tried to watch Raw from that era too and it's really hard to make it all the way through. Rock and Austin are still great but The Headbangers vs The Godwins was not.

slit

I used to be a huge fan but I don't really watch anymore, especially since I cut cable. However, if this also has live PPVs and Raw. I have to say that is a good deal.

They should've done this years ago.

Shit I'll sub just to rewatch WWF again. Tired of scrapping through YouTube just to find PPVs and old Raw/Smackdown shows in order

No. I watched and reviewed every show from 1998-2001 over the past year and half or so. Despite many fewer great wrestlers, you'll get more good-great matches on Raw and NXT than WCW at it's peak. All the great wrestlers in the world can't do much in 6 minutes every week. Occasionally you'd get a really good 10 minute match. Usually you'd get 5-6 minutes and a few good ones on PPV. And you wouldn't get shit on Thunder. Thunder was a joke the entire time it was on TV.

I can understand why you hated doing those reviews: You treated it as a job, while you were bitter and jobless in real life. Your reviews reflect that. You focused on the negative and highlighted botches, mistakes etc, then moved on to the next match. Your website is kinda funny, but it's more of a joke site than a place where you can find extensive match reviews.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Will do one month free trial, watch a few Raws and PPVs from the 90s, cancel immediately.

Fox Mulder

I would love a service that lets me watch all the past stuff, even ECW, WCW, and Benoit.

I doubt they would go all the way, but I'd pay to relive my childhood even if I don't watch anymore.

ksdixon

No WCW or ECW, don't care.
Me either. I'd also like to see some classic AWA and NWA-WCW era too.

If this happened though, I could clear-off an entire 1TB hardrive which has all WCW Nitro/Thunder/PPV from 95-2001, and every WWE RAW/SD/PPV from 2001-2004's WM, and then 2006's RAW/SD/ECW/PPVs.

strobogo

Banned
I can understand why you hated doing those reviews: You treated it as a job, while you were bitter and jobless in real life. Your reviews reflect that. You focused on the negative and highlighted botches, mistakes etc, then moved on to the next match. Your website is kinda funny, but it's more of a joke site than a place where you can find extensive match reviews.

1. True, but most of it was really bad. When it was good, I praised it as good. There just isn't much to praise in the last 2-3 years of WCW.

2. Harsh.

3. Not my site.

fwbsucd.jpg

- WWE will be looking to hook people at launch with a $60 for 6 month subscription that ALSO includes Wrestlemania 30.

If this is true, I'll bite on the 60 bones deal. Some friends and I usually go in together on Wrestlemania so that was probably gonna happen regardless. Then 6 months to see if it's worth keeping seems like a fine deal.

elektrixx

Banned
I'll subscribe just for easy access to RAW & SmackDown alone. Hopefully it's not some BS where only the US can subscribe.

Nuklear

Banned
I don't watch wrestling anymore(product is terrible) but to be able to watch Ric Flair's matches from the NWA/WCW days will make this worth every penny.

strobogo

Banned
I don't watch wrestling anymore(product is terrible) but to be able to watch Ric Flair's matches from the NWA/WCW days will make this worth every penny.

The product as a whole is bad, I'll agree, but there is a lot of good wrestling from month to month. Both on TV and PPV. Shield, Punk, Daniel Bryan, Antonio Cesaro, and a number of guys on NXT are putting on excellent TV matches on a regular basis. Also, Cody Rhodes and Goldust are doing awesome stuff right now. There is enough good to filter through and watch, but I wouldn't recommend anyone sit and watch full shows right now.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

legitshook.com

Uh, I'd rather pay 12-15$ a month to watch Attitude era WWF and NWO WCW in order than watch shitty torrents.

strobogo

Banned
The video quality wouldn't make the shows be booked better, though. The shows are a lot more enjoyable when you're just watching them instead of detailing everything. But everyone should stay way from the Summer of 1999 in WCW and really all of 2000 that didn't involved Kanyon or Norman Smiley. And Scott Steiner near the end of the year when he was walking out with tigers and mowing down lines of security guards.

TheBear

I would love to be able to watch ecw ppv's and tv in chronological order. The rest doesn't really interest me

bigkrev

As long as you weren't forced into a long term commitment, I would subscribe instantly. They really need to launch it in time for No Way Out at the latest in order to test out the PPV load- Wrestlemania is going to be huge for this.

I'm also curious how they would handle the censorship- will this also be locked at TV-PG?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Might check it out for a few months to watch 90s stuff. If they included WCW I would definitely check it out.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The video quality wouldn't make the shows be booked better, though. The shows are a lot more enjoyable when you're just watching them instead of detailing everything. But everyone should stay way from the Summer of 1999 in WCW and really all of 2000 that didn't involved Kanyon or Norman Smiley. And Scott Steiner near the end of the year when he was walking out with tigers and mowing down lines of security guards.
I want to watch the Monday night wars at their peak? Who cares if the last few years of WcW sucked? As far as pure number of episodes to not watch, it pales in comparison to the last decade of WWE.

I will so sub for this.

I've been saying the last few years that they would be so much smarter just launching thereown app.

Let's hope it's true!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom