• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: WWE Network to include EVERY Raw/Smackdown/PPV ever, Netflix Style, $12/mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

No way they will put future PPVs on it. There are already monthly PPVs and why let people pay $10 with vastly more content than making them pay $50?

Ithil

No way they will put future PPVs on it. There are already monthly PPVs and why let people pay $10 with vastly more content than making them pay $50?

Because having a lot of subscribers for the Network would make them more than he monthly PPVs do at their current price.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

They already "give away" via a similar deal with SKY Sports most of the PPVs in their second biggest market (The United Kingdom)

The product as a whole is bad, I'll agree, but there is a lot of good wrestling from month to month. Both on TV and PPV. Shield, Punk, Daniel Bryan, Antonio Cesaro, and a number of guys on NXT are putting on excellent TV matches on a regular basis. Also, Cody Rhodes and Goldust are doing awesome stuff right now. There is enough good to filter through and watch, but I wouldn't recommend anyone sit and watch full shows right now.

The main difference between WCW and those shows is how vanilla the matches are in WWE right now. Especially NXT. They're all trained by the same people and follow the same formula. The upside is that you rarely see any bad matches like you do in WCW but it's dry as hell.

krae_man

A million people paying $12 is better then 200k paying $50, especially when the cable providers are getting a decent chunk of the $50.

smr00

Banned
I'll get it for every RAW/Smackdown so i can re-watch the attitude era but if they don't offer WCW/ECW and old territory stuff down the road i will cancel it and never come back.

I would subscribe to this. And now I only barely watch Raw, but to able to watch some old stuff would be fun. This model makes more sense, where you can watch whatever, whenever. A network would be dumb. What would you air during Raw or Smackdown? Cable Co's are becoming very cautious about their limited bandwidth for cable channels, especially HD.

I thought the majority of ppv sales were to bars and such, not much home impact aside from the big 4?

Actually, the sales to bars and such are a whole different metric. The 100,000 or so domestic buys that B PPV's get are from homes.

What would you air during Raw or Smackdown?

Something that doesn't appeal to current WWE fans, like an old episode of Nitro or Mid-South.

smr00

Banned
My wife is going to hate this. I will subscribe to this for sure. I've been wanting this forever.
My ISP (comcast) is going to love me because for the first few months i will destroy my monthly cap and they will charge me out the asshole for going over.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Wrestling is dead to me. Bryan is ruined and AJ has nowhere to go. I gave it a chance but it just wasn't satisfying. At least I got the SS Brock vs Punk match.

Might watch if we get AJ vs Paige fued in the future.

fwbsucd.jpg
Did WWE finally change their logo?

Tenumi

Banned
No WCW or ECW, don't care.

I agree exactly. I like that they'd have all the Raw, Smackdown, PPVs, but they have so much more footage available to them. They can do better than that. It doesn't matter about the quality of the product back then, its the historical significance that matters in this case.

I wonder what or how much would be edited. There's no way we'd get true, unaltered footage.

Attitude Era WWF logos and the words "double-u double-u eff" spoken aloud will certainly be no-gos, as they're pretty much not allowed, legally, to show them. Same with licensed music tracks. And Chris Benoit...well he has shown up on DVDs after the "incident" but the went to some insane lengths not to promote him, such as censoring any commentary mentioning his name.

WCW and ECW stuff would put me on board. I mean, they own literally all of that, why not?

I imagine they want to roll out content from their back catalogs in chunks, so they can keep feeding "new" content to subscribers after they had their fill of the Raw/Smackdown era of their choice. Kind of like Nintendo with the Virtual Console.

krae_man

First thing I'm going to do is seek out that Bret Hart-Hakushi match that was almost an entire Raw that one time. It was way better then their In Your House match.

I can't watch most of WWE's archive footage just due to entrance music being cut with new generic music and crowds being dubbed over it. It really bothers me with the ECW stuff, I know its because of the music license fees but it still bothers me. Im sure there are other edits im not aware of as well. Praise people who actively archive the live footage

strobogo

Banned
What really bothers me is when they over dub their own stuff. I get dubbing generic music over ECW entrance themes. But you'll find a number of 80s shows that have Boss Man's Attitude Era them and Demolition having generic metal. Both theme songs that WWE owns and have released on CD. And then other shows from the same period have the actual songs. THAT drives me crazy. Either do it all or not at all.

Attitude Era WWF logos and the words "double-u double-u eff" spoken aloud will certainly be no-gos, as they're pretty much not allowed, legally, to show them. Same with licensed music tracks. And Chris Benoit...well he has shown up on DVDs after the "incident" but the went to some insane lengths not to promote him, such as censoring any commentary mentioning his name.

WWE made a deal recently with the World Wildlife Foundation organization where they can now use the old scratch logo on archival footage. The recent Triple H documentary they released showed attitude era matches unblurred.

GQman2121

Banned
I can't watch most of WWE's archive footage just due to entrance music being cut with new generic music and crowds being dubbed over it. It really bothers me with the ECW stuff, I know its because of the music license fees but it still bothers me. Im sure there are other edits im not aware of as well. Praise people who actively archive the live footage

What really bothers me is when they over dub their own stuff. I get dubbing generic music over ECW entrance themes. But you'll find a number of 80s shows that have Boss Man's Attitude Era them and Demolition having generic metal. Both theme songs that WWE owns and have released on CD. And then other shows from the same period have the actual songs. THAT drives me crazy. Either do it all or not at all.

Do you really give that many shits about intros? They could cut the intros entirely for all I care. It's the actually matches and commentary that I would worry about. And then the altering history to scrub someone like Benoit out completely just seems wrong.

I imagine that the first few weeks following the service going live are going to be people combing through the archive looking to see how much censorship/editing/dubbing they've done to the shows. Personally, I'm willing to put up with the amount of censorship due to the amount of content I'm getting for that price, but that's just me.

WE made a deal recently with the World Wildlife Foundation organization where they can now use the old scratch logo on archival footage. The recent Triple H documentary they released showed attitude era matches unblurred.

Shows how far out of the loop I am. Have they been cleared for being able to say WWF too, or is that still off limits?

Do you really give that many shits about intros? They could cut the intros entirely for all I care. It's the actually matches and commentary that I would worry about. And then the altering history to scrub someone like Benoit out completely just seems wrong.

i was mad when they edited the song out of this entrance on the dvd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XnEnMuN-KJk#t=674

ruined the whole thing man

also sandmans entrances are usually better than his matches

It really depends on the match and who it is nothing worse than seeing Undertaker come out to generic jobber rock music. Crowd reactions to match endings can also be ruined as well if the licensed music plays right after the pin. They also do edit other things besides the music but nothing I can confirm

You occasionally do get gold like this Undertakers Katy Perry entrance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvTtv7f-DmI

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I might actually subscribe to this. The WWE library literally includes years of wrestling footage. All of WWE (going back to its days as CWC and the WWWF), ECW (both Extreme and Eastern Championship Wrestling), WCW, the AWA, GCW, MCW, OVW, WCCW, Stampede Wrestlng, all of Jim Crockett Promotions...

strobogo

Banned

It's mostly from crowd reactions. If I'm just watching matches, I don't care about the intros, but if I'm watching a whole show, having obviously different music/announcing/crowd is really distracting. What's really bad is that they've started editing out chokes, chair shots to the head, and general things too violent to be shown on WWE TV today. It's pretty hard to find shows without choking in any era and shots to the head in the Attitude Era. When they start editing shows like that, it gets really sketchy to me. How can you show any ECW when they edit Wrestlemania matches to make them less violent?

Nuklear

Banned
I might actually subscribe to this. The WWE library literally includes years of wrestling footage. All of WWE (going back to its days as CWC and the WWWF), ECW (both Extreme and Eastern Championship Wrestling), WCW, the AWA, GCW, MCW, OVW, WCCW, Stampede Wrestlng, all of Jim Crockett Promotions...

Don't forget about Smokey Mountain too.

I guess the won't cut Benoit since its their private thing.

They cut Benoit out of everything match-related on Classics on Demand, and have decided to take him out of the next HBK DVD as well. ET wasn't used for a Taker intro on a show - it was used for a music video version of WrestleMania on NBC.

GQman2121

Banned
It's mostly from crowd reactions. If I'm just watching matches, I don't care about the intros, but if I'm watching a whole show, having obviously different music/announcing/crowd is really distracting. What's really bad is that they've started editing out chokes, chair shots to the head, and general things too violent to be shown on WWE TV today. It's pretty hard to find shows without choking in any era and shots to the head in the Attitude Era. When they start editing shows like that, it gets really sketchy to me. How can you show any ECW when they edit Wrestlemania matches to make them less violent?

Huh? They what now? Why would they do any of that?

strobogo

Banned
I understand and don't really begrudge WWE for trying to erase Chris Benoit, but they still promote and market guys who were gangsters (Dino Bravo, who was murdered gangland style for his cigarette smuggling in Canada), possible/probable murderers (Jimmy Snuka, Scott Hall (who admits to killing a man in self defense that is still pretty questionable), New Jack), possible sexual predators (Pat Patterson, Jerry Lawler), and tons of full on drug addicts.

Huh? They what now? Why would they do any of that?

Because it's not family friendly to what kind of content they put out now. In the last year or so, they've been editing matches for violence, even things that have been released on DVD since the PG era started.

Will commentary be edited to remove any mention of wwf?

What about censoring the turnbuckles, ring aprons and crowd signs to cover up the old logo?

I'd love to relive the attitude era, but that censorship shit would make it unwatchable for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom