• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: WWE Network to include EVERY Raw/Smackdown/PPV ever, Netflix Style, $12/mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

daycru

I understand and don't really begrudge WWE for trying to erase Chris Benoit, but they still promote and market guys who were gangsters (Dino Bravo, who was murdered gangland style for his cigarette smuggling in Canada), possible/probable murderers (Jimmy Snuka, Scott Hall (who admits to killing a man in self defense that is still pretty questionable), New Jack), possible sexual predators (Pat Patterson, Jerry Lawler), and tons of full on drug addicts.

WWE doesn't give a fuck about morality, it's PR. Benoit caused the biggest media shitstorm in the history of wrestling.

i was mad when they edited the song out of this entrance on the dvd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XnEnMuN-KJk#t=674

ruined the whole thing man

also sandmans entrances are usually better than his matches

Yeah almost every Wrestlemania dvd that gets put out gets edited as well somebody always gets a special intro song. Its regularly HHH recently, whats odd is they don't replace it with his regular the game theme but some royalty free song

Will commentary be edited to remove any mention of wwf?

What about censoring the turnbuckles, ring aprons and crowd signs to cover up the old logo?

I'd love to relive the attitude era, but that censorship shit would make it unwatchable for me
Nah they don't have to do that anymore

BigDug13

I think the problem with this model is how crappy wrestling is now, they won't keep subscribers. People will subscribe long enough to rewatch their favorites from years ago, then they'll cancel because the new content will be garbage.

Once you've seen all the past stuff, why would you want to pay $12 when current WWE episodes are on regular ass TV?

strobogo

Banned
I think the problem with this model is how crappy wrestling is now, they won't keep subscribers. People will subscribe long enough to rewatch their favorites from years ago, then they'll cancel because the new content will be garbage.

Once you've seen all the past stuff, why would you want to pay $12 when current WWE episodes are on regular ass TV?

I'm sure that's a big reason why they're rolling stuff out instead of giving it all out at once. Does anyone remember when WWE.com had a subscription services years ago (2008 or earlier)? It was way better than the cable version. It had a huge selection of matches that were available at all times, plus their own shows that weren't on the cable version.

Nuklear

Banned

One could hope they realize this but if history has taught us anything it won't. The only reason the WWE is still around is because they really are the only option.

Anth0ny

What about censoring the turnbuckles, ring aprons and crowd signs to cover up the old logo?

I'd love to relive the attitude era, but that censorship shit would make it unwatchable for me

They recently cut a deal specifically for the network that allows them to use the unblurred WWF scratch logo and say WWF without having to censor it.

The things that are up in the air right now are:

1. Music. They have probably lost the rights to stuff like Limp Bizkit, which ruins Biker Taker, and the greatest hype video of all time, Rock vs. Austin Wrestlemania 17.

2. Benoit. I can't fucking imagine they're going to go through all the work of editing him/his entrances/mentions of his name out of hundreds of Raws, Smackdowns, and PPVs.

One thing I can confirm, though... there will be an episode of Raw not included with this whole deal, and that would be the June 25, 2007 episode. For obvious reasons...

As expected, looks like the majority of people in this thread are former fans who are willing to check this out for some incredible nostalgia. I'm sure the marketing will try to take advantage of this, nostalgia for the Attitude Era/NWO WCW era seems to be at an all time high right now.

I'll be on it day one if this is real. I've always wanted to watch old Monday night wrestling. I watched alot of the old wcw shows on YouTube.

This is something I'd be interested in for a month or two when I have the desire to watch this stuff. I can't imagine subscribing for a long period of time though.

They recently cut a deal specifically for the network that allows them to use the unblurred WWF scratch logo and say WWF without having to censor it.

The things that are up in the air right now are:

1. Music. They have probably lost the rights to stuff like Limp Bizkit, which ruins Biker Taker, and the greatest hype video of all time, Rock vs. Austin Wrestlemania 17.

2. Benoit. I can't fucking imagine they're going to go through all the work of editing him/his entrances/mentions of his name out of hundreds of Raws, Smackdowns, and PPVs.

One thing I can confirm, though... there will be an episode of Raw not included with this whole deal, and that would be the June 25, 2007 episode. For obvious reasons...

As expected, looks like the majority of people in this thread are former fans who are willing to check this out for some incredible nostalgia. I'm sure the marketing will try to take advantage of this, nostalgia for the Attitude Era/NWO WCW era seems to be at an all time high right now.

Limited music rights is disappointing. That rock Austin wm promo video was incredible.

June 25th???

jakncoke

Banned
If they including the orgs too. I think I might sub for a few months for nostalgia reasons when characters were interesting and booming. Thats why I dont watch wrestling now

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hence why they shouldn't use regular old radio songs as themes and should have original music. Gotta go with the Jimmy Hart version.

My ISP (comcast) is going to love me because for the first few months i will destroy my monthly cap and they will charge me out the asshole for going over.

Most of the old content would (probably) be in SD (Before 2008) so I could see this as a non-issue unless you want to watch alot of the recent stuff.

Every raw and smackdown? Holy shit, watch the attitude era start to finish? Hell yes! Smackdown 2006? Sign me the fuck up! I wonder what wcw/ecw content will be available though? And the 80s stuff. This sounds potentially amazing.

Striker

Every raw and smackdown? Holy shit, watch the attitude era start to finish? Hell yes! Smackdown 2006? Sign me the fuck up! I wonder what wcw/ecw content will be available though? And the 80s stuff. This sounds potentially amazing.
Probably just WWE themed ECW lol.

But yeah if they got in both WCW and ECW as well it would be a steal of a package. There would be tons of quality to watch assuming all the information is correct.

pkJvxT7.jpg

Soon.

Lothar

Banned
I would get it for the Attitude Era but would most likely never watch a second of current PPVs. I'll wait to see how censored the theme music is though. If they are censored, well you can find sites online that will sell you DVD sets online of any wrestling year.

I might actually subscribe to this. The WWE library literally includes years of wrestling footage. All of WWE (going back to its days as CWC and the WWWF), ECW (both Extreme and Eastern Championship Wrestling), WCW, the AWA, GCW, MCW, OVW, WCCW, Stampede Wrestlng, all of Jim Crockett Promotions...
If they go all in then I'll go all in.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have no doubt that the initial plan is just WWE's flagship shows - as those are already converted and ready. The other content will trickle in, and that's what I'm MOST excited for.

Even on entry though I can finally see the golden years of Smackdown when they had DAVE BATIIIIISTAAAAAH

Penguin

I already pay 8 bucks a month for WWE Classics on Demand and that has a much more limited (and timed) content so I would upgrade to this

TxdoHawk

The only part of TV watching I remotely miss, so count me in. There is no way they are going to give new PPVs day and date for $10 a month, though. I bet there will be something like a 3-month delay, or a premium subscription plan.

LOL at all you people wanting WCW stuff up there.
legitshook.com
Read the 1998/1999 reviews and think really hard if that's something you want to see. Look at the 1998/1999 gif threads and think about paying to watch that.

Quantity, not quality. This kind of service is going to attract the kind of people who just want wrestling thrown up on a TV with some button pushes. Besides, this format is going to be a boon to the crappy eras of wrestling. Don't like the plot line of the episode you are watching? Skip ahead ten minutes, a week, a month, go watch WWE instead of WCW or vice versa, etc.

You say that like people will rip through this stuff in a month of casual watching. Even if they "only" launch with every Raw, every Smackdown, and every WWE PPV to date, that is going to be an insane amount of footage, no?

ElRenoRaven

You know. 12 bucks a month and every Raw, Smackdown and past PPV. That's not a bad deal. More so if they start including the monthly PPVs. In fact that would be a steal. Then if they can eventually get all of their ECW and WCW footage on there. That would be a must have.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
A million people paying $12 is better then 200k paying $50, especially when the cable providers are getting a decent chunk of the $50.

Not to mention the fact that that those million people would be more loyal to the brand being able to see every event instead of getting frustrated by having to miss every single big match.

Unfortunately I expect at least every PPV to be time delayed 24 hours hulu style cause this is still the WWE we're talking about, maybe even every Raw delayed 24 hours as well.

But, hey, if you can't wait 24 hours to see Cena vs Orton, there's going to be 1000 other Cena vs Orton feuds you can boot up instead with this thing.

PaulLFC

I doubt this will be launched here in the UK, but if it was something like £40 for 6 months' access and WrestleMania, I'm interested. It'd probably be £60 though if it launches.

strobogo

Banned
Hmm.. may be interested in this.

lol! When did that happen?

Earlier this year. I don't remember if it was during a promo or at the start of Daniel Bryan/Kane/Undertaker vs Shield. May have even been a promo with Punk, but I'm pretty sure it was a match and the only TV matches he's had were the 6 man tag and a singles match with Dean Ambrose on Smackdown.

turnbuckle

-Former Wrestling fans/non-Wrestling fans: Does this interest you?

Nope

haven't cared about wrestling much since the late 90's. if this manages to eventually include wcw and the wwf from the 70s-80s and in order, I'd be so interested. seeing feuds play out and culminate into ppv events would be incredible.

but I don't expect that to happen so I don't care

bndadm

As only a casual fan of wrestling with no concept of things like "heel turn", yes, I would be in for this. I work from home would absolutely love this on in the background.

remnant

Banned
10/12 is kind of pushing it. That's the price I expect for a premium drama channel like HBO.

However $7-9 or that $60 bundle, i would be down for. Yeah i'm excited.

Dead Man

Attitude Era WWF logos and the words "double-u double-u eff" spoken aloud will certainly be no-gos, as they're pretty much not allowed, legally, to show them. Same with licensed music tracks. And Chris Benoit...well he has shown up on DVDs after the "incident" but the went to some insane lengths not to promote him, such as censoring any commentary mentioning his name.

I never understood how that worked, it's archival footage, not new material, they shouldn't have to change shit that already happened due to a rights thing, they had the rights when it was made. Eon don't go back and remove brands form previous Bond films.

They haven't had that for a year - they paid the Fund to nix the blurring. It's been fixed for DVD and Classics on Demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom