• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: WWE Network to include EVERY Raw/Smackdown/PPV ever, Netflix Style, $12/mo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention the fact that that those million people would be more loyal to the brand being able to see every event instead of getting frustrated by having to miss every single big match.

Unfortunately I expect at least every PPV to be time delayed 24 hours hulu style cause this is still the WWE we're talking about, maybe even every Raw delayed 24 hours as well.

But, hey, if you can't wait 24 hours to see Cena vs Orton, there's going to be 1000 other Cena vs Orton feuds you can boot up instead with this thing.

You guys aren't getting Raw live or even on tape delay until atleast a week after it airs on USA. It's the most idiotic thing they could do at this point. You are encouraging your viewers to not watch USA, which in turn gives the live show lower ratings, which hurts contract negotiations when renewal comes up. Even with something like Total Divas, WWE would need 400k new subscribers every month to make up what E pays them for that and Raw is even bigger.

rrs

I never understood how that worked, it's archival footage, not new material, they shouldn't have to change shit that already happened due to a rights thing, they had the rights when it was made. Eon don't go back and remove brands form previous Bond films.

WWF got removed/censored due to a lawsuit from a similar named charity fund, but now they allow the use in archive material only. Song rights were more or less short term licenses (as with most TV shows) and WWE can't be bothered/would lose money from license renewals vs EON having longer use rights (or ownership) and renewing them.

As only a casual fan of wrestling with no concept of things like "heel turn", yes, I would be in for this. I work from home would absolutely love this on in the background.

johncenasheelturn_af2l3jbx.gif

You guys aren't getting Raw live or even on tape delay until atleast a week after it airs on USA. It's the most idiotic thing they could do at this point. You are encouraging your viewers to not watch USA, which in turn gives the live show lower ratings, which hurts contract negotiations when renewal comes up. Even with something like Total Divas, WWE would need 400k new subscribers every month to make up what E pays them for that and Raw is even bigger.

Yup. RAW and Smackdown will be delayed.

Here's a great post on what the WWE needs to do to make up lost revenue - http://indeedwrestling.blogspot.com/2013/12/lets-play-predict-wwe-network-revenue.html.

ZoddGutts

LOL at all you people wanting WCW stuff up there.

legitshook.com

Read the 1998/1999 reviews and think really hard if that's something you want to see. Look at the 1998/1999 gif threads and think about paying to watch that.

No. I watched and reviewed every show from 1998-2001 over the past year and half or so. Despite many fewer great wrestlers, you'll get more good-great matches on Raw and NXT than WCW at it's peak. All the great wrestlers in the world can't do much in 6 minutes every week. Occasionally you'd get a really good 10 minute match. Usually you'd get 5-6 minutes and a few good ones on PPV. And you wouldn't get shit on Thunder. Thunder was a joke the entire time it was on TV.

Uh people want 96-98 WCW, those years are still worth watching. Sorry that you watch the shitty years post 98 years. But 96-98 is definitely worth putting onto this service.

Dead Man

WWF got removed/censored due to a lawsuit from a similar named charity fund, but now they allow the use in archive material only. Song rights were more or less short term licenses (as with most TV shows) and WWE can't be bothered/would lose money from license renewals vs EON having longer use rights (or ownership) and renewing them.

Ah, I knew about the WWF stuff, but the short term license thing just seems like you are shooting yourself in the foot these days, with people expecting long term access to archival material.

Savitar

I really debate how much cenorship or changes they might do with this, they try to be squeaky clean these days, won't allow blood or anything if that happens. Didn't their Attitude set they put out a few months ago also be laughable skipping much of what made it popular.

In the end wouldn't pay for it either way due to the product they put out now being sub par.

Anth0ny

WWE to make groundbreaking announcement this Wednesday night on WWE.com

20140103_light_ground55kn8.jpg

WWE Universe, come to WWE.com this Wednesday (Jan. 8) at 9:30 p.m. ET for a groundbreaking announcement.

Join WWE Chairman & CEO Vince McMahon — along with WWE COO Triple H, 11-time WWE Champion John Cena, and WWE Hall of Famers "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and Shawn Michaels — for the announcement, which will be streamed LIVE from Las Vegas.

Watch LIVE this Wednesday at 9:30 p.m. ET on WWE.com, the WWE App, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo!, Google+, Pinterest and Pheed. Mark your calendar and get ready for the biggest revolution in sports-entertainment history.

Stay with WWE.com for more regarding this blockbuster announcement that will change WWE forever.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/groundbreaking-announcement-january-8

itshappening.gif

BFIB

Do this right, WWE. I want to see the classic Aldo Montoya vs. Bastion Booger and 1-2-3 Kid vs. the Goon matches.

krae_man

I read somewhere that all their TV contracts are expiring very soon at the same time. I hope that means I can watch Raw Live through the service.

Anth0ny

Also, some stuff regarding how Benoit will be handled on the network:

F4Wonline.com reports that WWE has sent out a memo stating that Chris Benoit footage will be allowed on its new Network broadcasts. There will be an advisory played before every show he appears on.

WWE is expected to announce the Network in Las Vegas next week.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/0102/568862/wwe-to-air-chris-benoit-footage-on-the-wwe-network-with-advisory/

Warning: The following footage contains language and content that may be offensive to some viewers. Also, Chris Benoit. Viewer discretion is advised.

MC Safety

I would pay for an entire month's worth of viewing if I could relive the classic moment where Sergeant Slaughter (as an Iraqi sympathizer) made a guy use his nose to push a Hulk Hogan vitamin down a long hallway.

Make it happen, Vince.

Aiii

So not worth it
I read somewhere that all their TV contracts are expiring very soon at the same time. I hope that means I can watch Raw Live through the service.

I've hear some talk that next day streaming is included in the package deal they're trying to sell (they're putting all their shows including Total Divas up in one big package first, and if that fails they'll sell per show individually).

Also, the rumor is to break even they'll need 1 million subscribers. Shouldn't be too hard if they launch it worldwide. If they restrict to US or NA only, that might be a bit of a stretch. Though including all the PPV's except WrestleMania (and maybe Rumble/SummerSlam) will help.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member

The last thing keeping my cable subscription in place... if I can watch Raw live (with as many damn commercials about Snicker and Castrol that you want), I will be the happiest guy in the world.

jmdajr

I've hear some talk that next day streaming is included in the package deal they're trying to sell (they're putting all their shows including Total Divas up in one big package first, and if that fails they'll sell per show individually).

Also, the rumor is to break even they'll need 1 million subscribers. Shouldn't be too hard if they launch it worldwide. If they restrict to US or NA only, that might be a bit of a stretch. Though including all the PPV's except WrestleMania (and maybe Rumble/SummerSlam) will help.

hhgif_zps46a1840a.gif

ElRenoRaven

Also, some stuff regarding how Benoit will be handled on the network:

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/0102/568862/wwe-to-air-chris-benoit-footage-on-the-wwe-network-with-advisory/

Warning: The following footage may contain language and content that may be offensive to some viewers. Also, Chris Benoit. Viewer discretion is advised.

I admit I laughed. It's sad though. Yea the guy did some horrible things but he should not be erased from existence. Hell research into his brain even revealed that he was extremely screwed up from concussions. Again not saying we should honor the man or anything but just allow what he did in the ring to exist. So I'm glad they're going to not try and edit him out of everything.

Also the rumblings are Wednesday evening they're going to make the announcement.

bigkrev

1 Million subscribers is a crazy high number. Raw does about 4 million a week- you will be lucky to get 10% of them to sign up for your network. Sure, there are people that don't watch the current stuff and just want the old stuff, but the current classics on demand service they have is well below 100k.

450,000 would be the highest i'd be willing to predict.

Anth0ny

Now months of "King, this is how you get the WWE Network on your smartphone or tablet device. Follow along as I demonstrate with my iPhone 5S."

See King, I can download the app from the App Store on my iPhone device (demonstrates)

King, I noticed you have an Android device, you can download the app from Google Play (demonstrates)

JBL, If you have a Playstation 3 or 4, you can download the app from the PSN (demonstrates)

Hey Booker! If you have an Xbox 360 or One, you can download the app from XBL Store (demonstrates)

i wish i was joking

The last thing keeping my cable subscription in place... if I can watch Raw live (with as many damn commercials about Snicker and Castrol that you want), I will be the happiest guy in the world.

Yeah, they're not going to give up hundreds of million dollars in TV rights fees to put RAW on the service when they're already going to lose millions of dollars in PPV fees as a result of putting all their PPV's but Wrestlemania on the service.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, they're not going to give up hundreds of million dollars in TV rights fees to put RAW on the service when they're already going to lose millions of dollars in PPV fees as a result of putting all their PPV's but Wrestlemania on the service.

A boy can dream... a boy can dream...

I would love to see the math behind what they would actually lose. I'm sure smart folks have looked at every angle to see what's feasible... but I would hope that some day we could get to a rev-share place between the network (USA or whoever) and WWE.

Mentok

Banned
The only PPV I watch is Mania, and I doubt that'll be covered...so unless the subscription fee goes lower, I won't be getting this.

blurrygil

If this includes every new PPV and I can watch Raw live every week. Hook it into my veins. They should have done this years ago.

This.

I'm in like swimwear. Hunting for eps online sucks. Especially when I'm picky over the quality.

*grabs RC Cola & Wrestling Buddies*

Let's do this, Vinnie Mac.

USA have the rights to RAW, and the various PPV Carriers have the rights to the PPVs. Not sure how it's different, hopefully it doesn't work like that, as well... I'll cry.

It's different in the UK. Sky have an exclusive deal on all TV and ppvs go through Sky's ppv service. Don't know if that deal extends to vod, but I would not be surprised.

A boy can dream... a boy can dream...

I would love to see the math behind what they would actually lose. I'm sure smart folks have looked at every angle to see what's feasible... but I would hope that some day we could get to a rev-share place between the network (USA or whoever) and WWE.

Actually, somebody did look at the revenue the WWE would have to make to account for the PPV losses and some other numbers are there as well.

I linked it above - indeedwrestling.blogspot.com/2013/12/lets-play-predict-wwe-network-revenue.html

TxdoHawk

Pleeeeeeeeease don't eff this up, WWE. I am in there like swimwear if the rumors are true (aside from the idea that $12 a month will get you PPVs day and date, which is just ridiculous.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom