• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Nvidia plans to end production of RTX 4090 in October

sono

Gold Member
Pauls Hardware is suggesting that Nvidia plans to end production of RTX 4090 and RTX 4090D in October a mere 2 years after their launch.

Idea is to clear the shelves prior to the 50 series cards launch.

So an end of life price reduction seems unlikely..

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Could this mean that it's not a big increase in performance?

Given their history, it's probably a move to maximize profits. Also given their history, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a decent performance increase. 2000 -> 3000 -> 4000 has been pretty consistently good.

It's possible that they could get lazy for the 5000 series, but they're not as stupid as Intel.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Does this mean they will be making 5090 chips for well after release too? I want to make a road trip to a microcenter and put it into a case.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I heard the 50 series is also gonna need a new PSU? If that is indeed true, the older models should not be discontinued.

Akuji

NVidia will have prices even more insane then what we currently have ...

I hope AMD 8800XT leak is real.
Will insta buy if Performance and price is correct. But i doubt it ... why would amd sell a gpu so "cheap".

Dr.D00p

Could this mean that it's not a big increase in performance?

The 5090 will be on a different level, it has to be in order to draw in the FOMO sucker, e-peen obsessed contingent of the PC Gamer crowd, who might otherwise stick with their 4090s until the 6090 in 2026/27.

Everything below the 5090 will be the usual incremental upgrade, 30-40%, to keep the poor people happy.

TBH, When you only have one contender in the market, performance is all but irrelevant, only price matters.

You either stump up the cash for the full fat, real deal 90 class or accept that everything below that is going to be a compromised, 2nd rate experience and learn to be grateful with what they're giving you.

Hohenheim

You either stump up the cash for the full fat, real deal 90 class or accept that everything below that is going to be a compromised, 2nd rate experience and learn to be grateful with what they're giving you.
This is me.. I got some serious fomo when getting the 3080 instead of 3090 back in the day, and changed to 3090 within weeks. Sold my 4090 in the summer, and been saving since january for the 5090.
I'm a mofo with serious fomo.. it's kinda stupid, I know.
Maybe one day i'll snap out of it, but not before the launch of the 5090😅

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
You can’t help but post in every PC thread you can find just to post shit, huh?
0Sw9gSh.jpeg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The initial plans were to launch 50 series in October, so this makes sense. Internally delaying until Jan/CES 2025 also allows them to clear out inventory and create a desire for spending with those who cant get a 4080 Super / 4090

Puscifer

NVidia will have prices even more insane then what we currently have ...

I hope AMD 8800XT leak is real.
Will insta buy if Performance and price is correct. But i doubt it ... why would amd sell a gpu so "cheap".
AMD said it in a conference call recently that playing the game they've been playing is a losing one. The new plan going forward is to price aggressively vs Nvidia and flood the market with cheaper options to get more people using AMD. FWIW it's worked with their CPU lineup, I'm hoping this new bold move is like the 7950/7970ghz update that embarrassed the shit out of Nvidia.

Granted I only came about 500 out of pocket for my 4080 but what the fuck was I thinking supporting that crap. I'm rooting for AMD in the GPU space no matter what at this point, Nvidias dominance is horrible for PC gaming

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I mean they can’t really afford to keep the already in-demand silicon and TSMC production hours for an old gen product. They used to, in a very different market where they weren’t paying insane amounts to book a capacity at TSMC

//DEVIL//

That doesn’t bond will for the 5080. If it’s true then Nvidia doesn’t want the 4090 to compete with the 5080.

But …. It could also mean the next gen is so powerful they want to make sure no 4090 in stock otherwise no one will buy them

Hot5pur

I play games at 60-90. Really tried to see the benefit in 120 fps or higher but maybe that's just shooters (and usually those aren't that resource hungry).

Like the 40xx series was needed for true 40k60 gaming. I have a hard time seeing something in the horizon in the next 1-2 years that will tangibly benefit from a 50% increase over the 40xx cards.

My guess is that they might get the 5080 to 4090 levels and give it the same $1200 so people think they are getting a deal. And push people to accept the new normal of paying $1k+ for video cards.

The 5090 might still be a crazy card for $2k, too many enthusiasts out there to no take advantage of.

daninthemix

As a PS fanboi, I’m not sure if I should be afraid or excited for the 5090.

Afraid because the gulf between PS and PC power will get even bigger.

Excited because when Nvidia invent new features, I end up getting those features in PS hardware (about 5 years later)

:pie_thinking:

ap_puff

AMD said it in a conference call recently that playing the game they've been playing is a losing one. The new plan going forward is to price aggressively vs Nvidia and flood the market with cheaper options to get more people using AMD. FWIW it's worked with their CPU lineup, I'm hoping this new bold move is like the 7950/7970ghz update that embarrassed the shit out of Nvidia.

Granted I only came about 500 out of pocket for my 4080 but what the fuck was I thinking supporting that crap. I'm rooting for AMD in the GPU space no matter what at this point, Nvidias dominance is horrible for PC gaming
It will really depend on whether the rumored rdna4 ML upscaling is any good. Based on their progress with FSR I'm not that optimistic but we'll see. They need separate RT cores as well, keeping them integrated with the shaders is holding them back big time

Top Bottom