• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Nvidia plans to end production of RTX 4090 in October

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
By the time the 60X0 series launch, theyll be so rare people will have to fight in arenas to death for them.

the warriors play GIF

the warriors :

kip-napoleon.gif

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Given their history, it's probably a move to maximize profits. Also given their history, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a decent performance increase. 2000 -> 3000 -> 4000 has been pretty consistently good.

It's possible that they could get lazy for the 5000 series, but they're not as stupid as Intel.
Please tell me you are fucking joking. Aside from the 4090, there was a much smaller performance improvement from this generation. The 60 and 70 series improvements were downright awful. Basically, you buy those cards to access DLSS 3 and framegen. The power consumption was MUCH better for the 4000 series.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Nah. I bet the 5090 will be $1,599 again. But they will have a 5090 ti or a Titan that will be $2,000 and will come out months later.
nvidia has NO reason or incentive to sell the 5090 for $1600. when it had it's "shortage" people were paying close to $2000 for it.

nvidia has complete control of the high end. complete control. They can charge what they want.

However, I am not sure they will price the 5080 as high as the original 4080. I expect $1000 for that one.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Please tell me you are fucking joking. Aside from the 4090, there was a much smaller performance improvement from this generation. The 60 and 70 series improvements were downright awful. Basically, you buy those cards to access DLSS 3 and framegen. The power consumption was MUCH better for the 4000 series.

It sounds like you're also agreeing that they were better too. And better enough to dominate the market. And not just at the top tier either.

ap_puff

Nah. I bet the 5090 will be $1,599 again. But they will have a 5090 ti or a Titan that will be $2,000 and will come out months later.
If you paid attention to what the 5090 is... No chance it's $1600 again. They're gluing 2 big dies together with advanced packaging. I'm betting $2500.

Nvidia have already heavily reduced production. Take a look at the stock on various retailers. So many 4090 models out of stock.

The question is… will Nvidia surprise everyone by launching the 5000 series cards this year?

Three

Time to order a nuclear reactor to power that 5090.
It's going to be funny if the rumour of it requiring a mandatory 16 pin power connector and 500W TDP is true. Wonder if we're going to see people listing RTX 5000 series card prices as "RTX 5000 price + New PSU price" in the same vein. Probably not.

//DEVIL//

Nvidia have already heavily reduced production. Take a look at the stock on various retailers. So many 4090 models out of stock.

The question is… will Nvidia surprise everyone by launching the 5000 series cards this year?
Unless they announce / have a conference between now and mid Oct withal a release window in. nov, I don’t see it happening.

There is no even leaks of either nvidia or any :rd party in terms of hardware leak. It means it most likely didn’t even go into production.

If there is going to be a release this year, it’s 100% paper release.

Also . Where are the games that require this hardware ? Hardware design is so far advance the software is not catching up. There is absolutely nothing you can’t play max graphics max settings 4K 60 fps with ray tracing in a 4080. Let alone 4090 and above .

Buying a premium gpu this year is kinda useless to be honest. Will I bite ? Maybe because I am an idiot. But in theory ? Someone is better off buying a used 4090 when they flood the market for cheap so people can buy a 5090 is a much better buy

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's not really about having money though. If you just silently support price gauging then the sky is the limit in the long run and the value proposition just gets worse and worse with every iteration.

Idk.., if you have money it's too much work to be concerned about such issues. A 4090 is not essential foods. It's more like a luxury item. Thus, supply and demand can safely be left to regulate itself out without harming anyone. FTC should keep an eye on Nvidia just in case though :D

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Where are the games that require this hardware ? Hardware design is so far advance the software is not catching up. There is absolutely nothing you can’t play max graphics max settings 4K 60 fps with ray tracing in a 4080. Let alone 4090 and above .

This is not even remotely close to being true. There's a bunch of games that you can't play native 4k w/ max settings and ray tracing w/ a locked 60fps on the 4090, let-alone a 4080.

night13x

I mean....it checks out.

5090 is set to be released at end of the year / beginning 2025 so Nvidia would not want a surplus of 4090 when they want to push the next gen of card sales on the enthusiest level. They pretty much do this every round.

Bulletzen72

I hate this shit! Nvidia has a total monopoly on the high end GPU market and are frankly taking the piss out of their customers. I'm just going to stop thinking about high end GPU's and go for mid range. At least AMD will be some competition for Nvidia in that range and prices will be more realistic.

Pagusas

Elden Member
God I stlil need to sell my 3090, and now need to get my 4090 ready for selling. Why does selling stuff have to be such a PITA.

YCoCg

Nvidia: Luckily we have a product for those who want a 4090, it's called the 5080 Ti Super and it's only a small price increase.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Given their history, it's probably a move to maximize profits. Also given their history, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a decent performance increase. 2000 -> 3000 -> 4000 has been pretty consistently good.

It's possible that they could get lazy for the 5000 series, but they're not as stupid as Intel.

So what do you think the starting price will be for a 5090 next year?

Nvidia does this every generation LMAO

They aren't dumb and don't need old cards sitting on shelves

Be you'd agree that "old" cards sitting on shelves is good for gamers right?

Hohenheim

Time to order a nuclear reactor to power that 5090.
Maybe when they produce cards that surpass general space heaters. A general space heater uses between 1500-1800 watts, so Nvidia is still producing rookie numbers while removing my need for a heater in my gaming room during winter. Very nice!

During summer on the other hand.. not quite so nice!

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's going to be funny if the rumour of it requiring a mandatory 16 pin power connector and 500W TDP is true. Wonder if we're going to see people listing RTX 5000 series card prices as "RTX 5000 price + New PSU price" in the same vein. Probably not.
I think you're right, probably not.

//DEVIL//

This is not even remotely close to being true. There's a bunch of games that you can't play native 4k w/ max settings and ray tracing w/ a locked 60fps on the 4090, let-alone a 4080.
Which game ? Because even wukong will get you high frames unless you want path tracing on then yeah not even the 5090 will get u a 100 frames native

Dr.D00p

Hopefully the 4090 retains some value.

Of course it will, it's not suddenly a bad card. How much depends on the performance and price of the 5080 and how much VRAM is on it.

Many people will still prefer a 4090 that's only a little bit slower than a 5080 but has 8GB more VRAM, especially production focused users.

kiphalfton

mostly because in the case of Nvidia the older product would have a better value proposition than the new one

Price : Performance has seemingly remained the same between 3000 and 4000 series.

Doesn't feel good knowing you could have bought a similar performing card years ago for the same price (or if you already did buy a card and are hoping to upgrade, you now have to pay more for a better performing card than you previously did), but that's current state of Nvidia business practice.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I mean, you said one yourself. Wukong. A few more off the top of my head:

• Alan Wake II
  • Hellblade II
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Star Wars: Outlaws
None of the hardware is good enough for path tracing native . Not even the 5090 with its double the performance will give you that at 4K.
I remember you getting 30 fps in wukong and cyber punk with path tracing on native with severe frame drops too.

Assuming the 5090 twice its performance of 4090( which never was ) you will be barely getting 60 fps native give or take .

This is not an ideal solution. Path tracing is not really designed for games in mind . And it’s an expensive technology as well.

You will need DLSS with 5090 if you want path tracing on . Which default back to the same point . No game has technical graphical need outside of path tracing that a 4080 can’t handle at max settings

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
None of the hardware is good enough for path tracing native . Not even the 5090 with its double the performance will give you that at 4K.
I remember you getting 30 fps in wukong and cyber punk with path tracing on native with severe frame drops too.

Assuming the 5090 twice its performance of 4090( which never was ) you will be barely getting 60 fps native give or take .

This is not an ideal solution. Path tracing is not really designed for games in mind . And it’s expensive technology as well.

You will need an upscaler 5090 or not if you want path tracing on . Which default back to the same point . No game has technical graphical need outside of path tracing that a 4080 can’t handle at max settings

I guess that's my point though. There's always more desirable performance to be gained when upgrading to new hardware. Whether that means you are able to run at Native 4K rather than DLSS, or DLSS Quality instead of DLSS Performance, or that you no longer need to use DLSS Frame Generation to reach your desire performance, etc.. etc.. And for more performant games that might mean you now can use DLAA for an even more pristine image, or DLDSR, or you can play emulated games like Ryujinx Switch games or RPCS3 PS3 games at higher frames/resolutions, etc.. etc..

It all depends on what your wants/needs are.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

I didn't have to give up any organs to save up for the 5090. Giving up nicotine was enough! One year of saving the money I usually spend on nicotine is enough for getting both a 5090 and the upcoming 9-series x3d cpu. I keep my organs, and they're probably even in quite a bit better shape!

Top Bottom