• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 7 |OT| Did you not or did you not come for me today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well, the winner's crown doesn't mean much aside from that delicious $100k prize money. Looking back at the past winners, most of them have fallen into obscurity while their runner ups have gotten more popular. Bianca and Raja are the only one who seems to have capitalized on their victories.

True. I think the exposure the show provides can be even more valuable, especially if you're a fan favorite. Katya will be fine because she's great, but I will be so pressed if Kennedy or Pearl is in the top three instead of her.

Vitanimus

the top 5 was essentially spoiled a couple months ago thanks to a certain party poster that usually books the top 4 + ms. congeniality for the the past 2 years, I think?

I think katya will get a dela edit :(

Did they play a track from Realness during the entrance to the workroom? I remember back in the first episode being disappointed it was still 'Sissy That Walk' during the runway because there's some 90s rave/house choons on Realness. I guess because it's filmed so far in advance it's all locked and loaded before the new album came out?

zeopower6

Did they play a track from Realness during the entrance to the workroom? I remember back in the first episode being disappointed it was still 'Sissy That Walk' during the runway because there's some 90s rave/house choons on Realness. I guess because it's filmed so far in advance it's all locked and loaded before the new album came out?

Realness will probably get tracks next season. That is how it usually works, anyway.

Also I feel like Realness doesn't have too many bops on it, sadly. :(

Wilsongt

the top 5 was essentially spoiled a couple months ago thanks to a certain party poster that usually books the top 4 + ms. congeniality for the the past 2 years, I think?

I think katya will get a dela edit :(

Yep. I need to stop reading Reddit because their thirsty detectives are better than GAF a out finding out information... It was hard to get excite about the return-a-queen challenge because it was teased out who it was a looooong time ago. Same with the top 5 now... We know who goes next week. All that is left is who are thr next 2 to go.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I don't know who goes next week
y'all best keep it that way and not post it here

KiN0

Yep. I need to stop reading Reddit because their thirsty detectives are better than GAF a out finding out information... It was hard to get excite about the return-a-queen challenge because it was teased out who it was a looooong time ago. Same with the top 5 now... We know who goes next week. All that is left is who are thr next 2 to go.

You don't need to be a detective to know who's going next week

Bye Trixie

zeopower6

Well, it's more that certain gigs book the top queens. I think they got it wrong-ish this year though.

However, as far as Trixie's return went, she telegraphed it the moment she was eliminated, lol.

kirblar

Well, it's more that certain gigs book the top queens. I think they got it wrong-ish this year though.

However, as far as Trixie's return went, she telegraphed it the moment she was eliminated, lol.
The show kinda did as well, based on how the editing didn't bother to protect RuPaul and create a narrative that made sense.

royalan

Rewatching this episode...I have to say this was another one I thought Kennedy should have won.

Ginger did ok, don't get me wrong. But Kennedy was working it and was surprisingly funny. Every time she did that cha cha dance I was cracking up. The only queen who made me laugh again on second viewing.

Vitanimus

I'm kinda passed hating on Kennedy because she has earned her place, it's just the unrelenting bias towards her and ginger 🚮 like OK we get it

Rayis

The one thing I can say about Kennedy is that she seems very professional, in that one podcast someone linked earlier where Violet mentioned she was genderfluid, Violet and Pearl were acting the fool while Kennedy stayed composed and answered questions in a very professional manner, she also got interrupted a lot.

I like Kennedy. Her Southern drawl enchants me.

I've come around to most everyone, actually. Even Violet and Ginger.

I still can't stand Trixie, though.

I feel like Pearl and Violet are too similar conceptually to both be in the top 4. Who do you guys prefer and why?

Pearl is rougher around the edges but I'm obsessed with every little thing she does. Her fuck-ups are hilarious to me. Soooooooo chill.

Violet's been more consistent I guess but she's been a B- across the board while Pearl's performance has been all over the map.

I feel like Pearl and Violet are too similar conceptually to both be in the top 4. Who do you guys prefer and why?
I don't think they occupy the same lane at all. If anything, Miss Fame was the redundant one (she and Violet were both the studied fashionistas of the bunch, but Violet executed her looks better).

Pearl, on the other hand, embodies the busted, washed-out child former pageant princess persona. She's the opposite of Violet's calculated polish.

I don't think they occupy the same lane at all. If anything, Miss Fame was the redundant one (she and Violet were both the studied fashionistas of the bunch, but Violet executed her looks better).

Pearl, on the other hand, embodies the busted, washed-out child former pageant princess persona. She's the opposite of Violet's calculated polish.

I mean in the sense that their talents lie in the runway presentations and not humor or performance. Though I know that Violet is a ridiculously fierce performer while Pearl is more attitude/sultry than high energy.

I just want them to be in the ball challenge coz I'd love to see them make shit.

Yeah, Pearl is much more of that busted, punky, downtown club drag aesthetic. Violet falls more on the fashion side of things, but I do think there's an edge to both of their looks that maybe has some overlap.

I don't hate any of the queens at this point (I really don't think there's a villain character this season), I just get annoyed with how telegraphed Ginger's ascent to the top three seems. Ginger is really talented and funny, but the show over sells her and it kind of undermines her. Also I think her runway looks are boring, but the runway doesn't seem to matter at all anymore, so who cares.

royalan

I feel like Pearl is a lot like Alyssa Edwards, in that how much you like her is dependent on how much your into her personality, because she has absolutely nothing else (whereas even Alyssa was a talented dancer and performer).

Pearl has no talent, her drag is incredibly simple outside of an interesting face every now and then, she's practically comatose on the main stage and one of the worst lipsyncers the show has ever seen, but she has that stoner personality that a lot of people seem to love.

I don't like Violet much, either, but I have to give the bitch credit on her aesthetic. She came into the show establishing herself as the "look" queen, and she's delivered on that every week. Her polish is on the level that it does count as a positive for her, even if she has absolutely no other redeeming qualities.

I'd go with Violet. At least she's really good at SOMETHING, whereas I just don't find Pearl leading the pack in any specific area. She's floating on that stoner vibe.

Ginger, take your crown gurl.

Seasons over. She's getting the edit, bitch.

Keep watching. She hasn't even begun to show what she has.

Ru cast some terribly untalented pretty girls this go round.

This was coming from someone who has seen her put on a different weekly Broadway Brunch at Hamburger Mary's for years. She HAS the goods. I'm just glad she's shown them nationally.

If you hate her for too good of an edit, it's because she's that damn good. ;)

Yeah Ginger is an amazing talent, definitely the strongest queen this season even though her runway looks are pretty one dimensional. Bianca was the same way, except Ginger's abrasiveness comes off more bitter than tongue-in-cheek or humorous.

The only reason I think we roll our eyes at her succeeding is because she seems really cut throat in a way we haven't seen since the season 3 or 4 queens who were all about "the competition." Now it's become such a sisterhood that we get turned off seeing people be two-faced or shit talking. She absolutely deserves to win as it stands now, I just hope the next two episodes position someone else as a legitimate threat, Katya's super close.

Katya is Alaska levels of iconic though. She'll be bigger than anyone else this season once it's all said and done.

zeopower6

This was coming from someone who has seen her put on a different weekly Broadway Brunch at Hamburger Mary's for years. She HAS the goods. I'm just glad she's shown them nationally.

If you hate her for too good of an edit, it's because she's that damn good. ;)

Ew.

I think even though she's successful in the competition so far (with all the challenges being catered toward her aside from the makeover challenge, really... >_>) people still don't like her. A Ginger win at this point would be unwise for RuPaul imo.

And as far as winners taking advantage of the 'crown', I think all the winners since Raja have done pretty big things within a year or so of their win other than maybe Chad.

Wilsongt

I love Katya and I really wish she would make top 3. Kennedy has earned her place. I am still stanning for Ginger. Trixie is okay. She has a bit more talent than Violet, but Violet owns the runway. Just a shame she doesn't have anything else going for her. She's fairly boring.

I like Pearl. She's cute.

Rayis

Ginger looks are so boring that she can't be one of my favorites tbh, especially how bitter she seems to be towards Violet who's arguably one of the best look queens the show's ever had.

I could accept Ginger's plain looks if they were at least Bianca levels of polished and finessed.

But she consistently looks a damn mess who is deprived of a mirror the moment she has to apply anything to her six-head.

mantidor

I think this awful scripted acting challenges have hurt the season and the queens as a whole. Maybe Ginger or Kennedy or Trixie are good actresses, maybe, but this skits are so freaking bad I simply haven't seen it. I love John Waters, that whole thing was awful and so not John Waters. I have seen no one being that good of a performer, but we only have this ridiculously bad written crap to judge them with. The only time I saw someone shine in that department was in a freaking runway challenge, the conjoined twins Pearl and Trixie, they sold a story and it was great, why they don't let these girls create their own material is beyond me.

Yado

tumblr_nnlbccSpmL1tzo6dgo1_540.png

KuGsj.gif

zeopower6

As far as social media goes, Pearl is getting the overall spread of #1 ranked in all of them (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) and highest overall increase in followers/likes/whatever.

We'll see how the top 3 ends up but I think Pearl may be the one to beat unless for w/e reason they want to eliminate her in the coming weeks.

Seeing as how they did the quad-elimination filming at top 4 last year, I wonder if they'll do that again to keep things exciting up until the finale.

Pearl is one of the more interesting queens to be on the show tbh. If you really wanna put her assets on a spreadsheet then yeah, she's not exactly an industry leader in any specific facet. But for some reason she's just iconic. You don't really see that stoner kind of persona in a drag queen, everyone thinks if they're in drag they need to have outrageous personalities, but Pearl makes it work with her give no fucks attitude.

She's just really fucking cool. And I find her mug and fashions to be amazing.

Between Katya's "addicted to anxiety" frantics, Miss Fame's never-ending mental breakdowns, Ginger's hyper-competitive neurosis, etc. etc., Pearl is simply a breath of fresh air.

It doesn't hurt, either, that she's the the only queen with whom I want to both ki-ki and kai-kai XD

Monocle

Pearl is one of the more interesting queens to be on the show tbh. If you really wanna put her assets on a spreadsheet then yeah, she's not exactly an industry leader in any specific facet. But for some reason she's just iconic. You don't really see that stoner kind of persona in a drag queen, everyone thinks if they're in drag they need to have outrageous personalities, but Pearl makes it work with her give no fucks attitude.

She's just really fucking cool. And I find her mug and fashions to be amazing.
Couldn't agree more. I thought she was an absolute mess in her Meet the Queens video, but the hotness of boy Pearl and her utterly unbothered attitude have really made her grow on me. She just cruises along doing her thing with no pretense and it's hilarious next to the other queens who are on the edge of a meltdown.

royalan

Couldn't agree more. I thought she was an absolute mess in her Meet the Queens video, but the hotness of boy Pearl and her utterly unbothered attitude have really made her grow on me. She just cruises along doing her thing with no pretense and it's hilarious next to the other queens who are on the edge of a meltdown.

...so she's good because she's hot out of drag?

At least you're honest about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom