• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
If something doesn't happen, then the world will be overran with Russian and Chinese interest. Its insane.

Can the west just completely annex them? Stop all foreign trade, shutdown all services including access to our banks, block all internet access from Russia etc to western servers. Gas and oil prices would skyrocket but Russia would be completely fucked.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

lq6Ei5M.jpg
Jesus 🙄

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Can the west just completely annex them? Stop all foreign trade, shutdown all services including access to our banks, block all internet access from Russia etc to western servers. Gas and oil prices would skyrocket but Russia would be completely fucked.
Yes to all of those. That's what the sanctions could be.

Not sure if the tech corps would allow it

CGiRanger

Banned
Isn't Germany dependent on Russia for a good portion of its energy supplies? Like the whole thing with that Pipeline and how they didn't even sanction it until like yesterday or such.

How much of Europe can afford to do much of anything without energy independence?

Sadly the US at the moment also sucks on that regard too... (on both oil and natural gas. Since ya know, fracking and oil explorations were decreased recently)

Also didn't Germany shutter all their Nuclear Power plants as well? Talk about cutting off ones nose...

Last edited:

Rykan

It's certainly possible. Depends how far Putin goes. If Putin doesn't stop at the rebel held areas of Donbas and carries on into Ukraine, I can't see the rest of the world just standing by and watch.
There's no benefit for either the US or the European Union to intervene. This isn't an Iraq or a bunch of terrorists in Afghanistan. This is Russia: A country with one of the largest militaries in the world and the largest supply of nuclear warheads to boot. Nobody is going to risk war with Russia over Ukraine. The amount of casualties, both in terms of military and civilian, would be catastrophic. There's no way it's going to happen. If NATO was going to intervene, they would have already done so prior to the invasion happening.

Isn't Germany dependent on Russia for a good portion of its energy supplies? Like the whole thing with that Pipeline and how they didn't even sanction it until like yesterday or such.

How much of Europe can afford to do much of anything without energy independence?

Sadly the US at the moment also sucks on that regard too... (on both oil and natural gas. Since ya know, fracking and oil explorations were decreased recently)

Also didn't Germany shutter all their Nuclear Power plants as well? Talk about cutting off ones nose...
Yep, idiots. Same for my Belgian government. Pathetic bunch of losers they are. Why do you think Germany was still kissing Russia's ass when this started to go down weeks ago.

Last edited:

Ionian

While I agree with you, you definitely have to admit that this is certainly a Crack in global stability.

A definite precursor to possible nukes. Putin flat out said it. This hasn't ever been said as a threat before prior to war. He threatened everyone and the west must be scrambling over it.

RAÏSanÏa

There's no benefit for either the US or the European Union to intervene. This isn't an Iraq or a bunch of terrorists in Afghanistan. This is Russia: A country with one of the largest militaries in the world and the largest supply of nuclear warheads to boot. Nobody is going to risk war with Russia over Ukraine. The amount of casualties, both in terms of military and civilian, would be catastrophic. There's no way it's going to happen. If NATO was going to intervene, they would have already done so prior to the invasion happening.
NATO could only get involved as NATO if Ukraine was a NATO nation. It's a defense pact between nations, not invasion.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

At last check the United States is still the top oil-producing nation on the planet. It's more of an issue of demand, concerns over the economy, and refinement that makes it look like the US is as susceptible to major impacts in the oil market like other nations are. We could build more refineries and increase supply of oil even more if we really had to.

And yes, Germany imports something like a third of their oil from Russia. I know don't know the reasoning behind it, probably one part cost, one part diplomatic, but I do know it's a motivator for Germany going as green as possible as soon as they can. Well, like most other EU members.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

I agree. War would be too costly. Putin already knows this, plus I would assume has already considered all possible sanctions the west can throw at him. In which case, nothing will stop him.

He said in an address to the Russian people this morning that he has no interest in invading the whole of Ukraine, but does anybody believe that?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
What if putin wakes up one day and is like fuck these guys and decides to preemptively nuke us. He seems like he is losing his mind and going really paranoid. Or was he always this way. So why now has he just gone fuck it.

Last edited:

Rykan

NATO could only get involved as NATO if Ukraine was a NATO nation. It's a defense pact between nations, not invasion.
Ukraine is an aspiring member for NATO and is part of its Partnership for Peace. They could justify a defensive option if deemed necessary. Regardless, as NATO or seperately as the United States or European Union, my point remains the same: Absolutely nobody is going to go to war with Russia over Ukraine.

Ionian

What if putin wakes up one day and is like fuck these guys and decides to preemptively nuke us. He seems like he is losing his mind and going really paranoid. Or was he always this way. So why now has he just gone fuck it.

Not 100% sure, read it as "iasydbusybduasybdusavgdfasv", which was great but it may have been another dialect which would be "idsfubhisdhyfsudhybfdushygvbdfs" which basically insults farm animals and is quite rude, I did laugh too but I made sure no woman was in the room.

RAÏSanÏa

What if putin wakes up one day and is like fuck these guys and decides to preemptively nuke us. He seems like he is losing his mind and going really paranoid
Seems that's Vova's track and it's a matter of mitigating at this point.

Ukraine is an aspiring member for NATO and is part of its Partnership for Peace. They could justify a defensive option if deemed necessary. Regardless, as NATO or seperately as the United States or European Union, my point remains the same: Absolutely nobody is going to go to war with Russia over Ukraine.
It's important to make that distinction about NATO so there isn't any confusion when talking about possible responses.

Diddy X

That would harm the west big time, also in such extreme case China would get involved and fuck the west even more.

Rykan

Guys, I can inform from Poland
We dont hear any explosions,
Tension is really high,
Out idiot gov saying "russia wouldnt dare to attack us, we are strong".... lol
edit "I am scared as fuck anyway"
Your government is right.

Poland is a member of both the European Union and Nato. Zero chance Russia will invade Poland.

zomboden

Banned
Tension is really high,
I guess if Russia wants to start WW3 Poland is the next target to be honest. Will they? Doubt it.
Not trying to incite panic or anything. Could be Moldova too. Or one of the non-nato countries nearby.
Also Zepla US streamer that went to western ukraine for safety in case of invasion (she used to be in kyiv) posted some stuff tonight.

Hope she gets over to Poland safely. Hopefully borders not closed.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Putin is a massive cunt.

I understand the chess game at play here. But he’s a massive cunt.

Heart goes out to Ukraine.

NATO better be arming Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia to the back teeth. Cuck nations like Germany and my own Britain better stop playing nice for gas and cash. Don’t even get me started on the pussy Macron who thinks he’s an alpha male.

If Putin senses weakness here we might see more land grabs.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Tension is really high,

My man, I have family in Poland and some of them are worried that they're the next target, but if Russia did invade Poland then we would be looking at a full scale war with all of NATO backing Poland.

I think Poland is safe.

Mato

The goal probably is to incapacitate Ukraine's military and install a puppet government in order for Ukraine to become a Russian satellite state again.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

The goal probably is to incapacitate Ukraine's military and install a puppet government, hence for Ukraine to become Russia's satellite state again.

This.

One thing I'm afraid of is that Putin could start the narration that economic sanctions are like a declaration of war against Russia and that he needs to act further to secure Russia's safety.

Fluo

Putin is just going to laugh his ass off with all these Western sanction. He got China for all his economic needs
Russian here. No, he's not gonna laugh his ass off, his ratings been crumbling for the past few years, with new sanctions and ruble hitting the new low it's gonna crumble even more, but it's very clear he's way past caring. He's just going to name every dissenter a traitor and be done with it. I'm equally terrified, disgusted and ashamed.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Russian here. No, he's not gonna laugh his ass off, his ratings been crumbling for the past few years, with new sanctions and ruble hitting the new low it's gonna crumble even more, but it's very clear he's way past caring. He's just going to name every dissenter a traitor and be done with it. I'm equally terrified, disgusted and ashamed.
You are russian? What is the majority russian people opinion regarding this attack by putin?

The goal probably is to incapacitate Ukraine's military and install a puppet government in order for Ukraine to become a Russian satellite state again.

Putin wants to rebuild USSR back to its glory days. Moldova is next, that's almost a guarantee

Ecotic

I feel Putin will eventually lose this gamble. Russia's economy is pretty meager and I don't think it can withstand both the sanctions and with maintaining an occupation of a country nearly the size of Texas and with 44 million hostile people. Russia might even get bogged down militarily if Ukraine's army can get dug in and hold its largest cities, or later tie Russia down with an insurgency. With the pandemic still going on and choking the world economy, it's a bad time for military adventurism. I know it seems like Putin is winning tonight but he has pot-committed his country in the face of world opposition and it's easy to envision a dozen ways this could backfire.

You are russian? What is the majority russian people opinion regarding this attack by putin?

People's opinion don't matter, he's the president for life

Ivory Blood

Some are for, some are against it, most just go about their business as usual and don't care. People in my circles are worried about sanctions and the economic hit we are going to take. Stock market stopped trading early in the morning when dollar hit 86+ rubles.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
At last check the United States is still the top oil-producing nation on the planet. It's more of an issue of demand, concerns over the economy, and refinement that makes it look like the US is as susceptible to major impacts in the oil market like other nations are. We could build more refineries and increase supply of oil even more if we really had to.

And yes, Germany imports something like a third of their oil from Russia. I know don't know the reasoning behind it, probably one part cost, one part diplomatic, but I do know it's a motivator for Germany going as green as possible as soon as they can. Well, like most other EU members.
Good thing we did not move to modern cheap nuclear power years ago and spent billions to finance Russia’s army buying gas and oil from them. That was a green victory, Vlad laughed when he saw nuclear power research stop (if they did not finance the opposition to it).

Airbus Jr

Banned
Some are for, some are against it, most just go about their business as usual and don't care. People in my circles are worried about sanctions and the economic hit we are going to take. Stock market stopped trading early in the morning when dollar hit 86+ rubles.
How many ( of your citizen) are supporting this attack? Estimate majority agree or disagree?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom