• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia begins Invasion of Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAÏSanÏa

ar3un5u8moj81.jpg
UnOrthodox

Reactions: Gp1

Meh, we had WW3 talk already 2014 when Russia annexed Crimea and nothing happened.

I just read that the parts of Ukraine being ivaded now were anything but peaceful and that there have armend conficts since 2014. So yeah.... Kinda puts things into perspective.

Tams

This.

One thing I'm afraid of is that Putin could start the narration that economic sanctions are like a declaration of war against Russia and that he needs to act further to secure Russia's safety.
Hasn't he pretty much already stated that?

Fucking bizzaroland that his mind lives in. Or rather, we naïvely though we were mostly past those days.

Mato

I like to daydream that this would cause USA and EU/Europe to forge some kind a newfound bond, even setting the foundations for a distant future union. But that is obviously not going to happen, not when even EU alone can't get it together. Unfortunately world balance is tilting rapidly.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I think the majority does not support it, not out of any love for Ukraine mind you, but just for the reasons I mentioned - economy is gonna take a nosedive.
Wasnt talking and not really concerned about your economic

Im talking about human rights violation

Lots of Ukrainian citizen could get slaughtered right now by artilery bombardment of your goverement and it seems like theres very litle effort is being done there to stop these attack

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Hasn't he pretty much already stated that?

Fucking bizzaroland that his mind lives in. Or rather, we naïvely though we were mostly past those days.

Kinda, that's what they said about cutting Russia off from Swift so far:

And in 2019 Putin said that Russia has right to preventively destroy NATO facilities that they see as a threat, like US anti-missile shields in Poland and Romania.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Good thing we did not move to modern cheap nuclear power years ago and spent billions to finance Russia’s army buying gas and oil from them. That was a green victory, Vlad laughed when he saw nuclear power research stop (if they did not finance the opposition to it).

The plan has been on the long game for a while (green). Nuclear power has a stigma attached to it, deserved or not, and produces lots of waste. It also doesn't create all that many jobs compared to renewable resources like solar and wind, which is obviously important to local-level politicians.

The US produces so much oil because we consume so much (top producer, top consumer), but we don't want it to become some kind of linchpin of our economy - even local state economies - like other nations did and suffer from the fickle winds of the market and geopolitical events because of it. Why produce more than we need as we are moving towards green energy? Let various OPEC member nations play that game as the rest of the world transitions. When we're mostly green we can then transition to mostly exporting our oil at even greater returns to less advanced nations as they stumble towards renewable resources.

An unfortunate side effect was, yes, buying energy from Russia. Nations trade with one another even when their interests don't align - it's just the way of the world. Look at China vs practically the entire world aside from Russia and North Korea.

In any event, longterm this will only hurt Russia the most. Other nations will adjust, continue to migrate to green energy, and Russia will decline even more - precisely because they rely on oil so much.

Ivory Blood

Im talking about human rights

Lots of Ukrainian citizen could get slaughtered right now by artilery bombardment of your goverement and it seems like theres very litle effort is being done there to stop these attack
You asked, and I answered. You gotta understand that people live their daily lives with their heads in the sand, and they don't want to hear, feel or think about anything that does not concern them directly - so no, I don't think many care about human rights or ukranian lives. For the majority of russians the conflict is happening somewhere out there, on the border, and the only thing that matters is how much the bread will cost tomorrow.

Airbus Jr

Banned
You asked, and I answered. You gotta understand that people live their daily lives with their heads in the sand, and they don't want to hear, feel or think about anything that does not concern them directly - so no, I don't think many care about human rights or ukranian lives. For the majority of russians the conflict is happening somewhere out there, on the border, and the only thing that matters is how much the bread will cost tomorrow.
I find the lack of humanity is apalling here

So many people there are apathetic and doesnt really care about your government bombing another country? Is that true? ( that is the impression i get from your answer)

Just burried their heads in the sands and pretend nothing happens like you describe?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The plan has been on the long game for a while (green). Nuclear power has a stigma attached to it, deserved or not, and produces lots of waste. It also doesn't create all that many jobs compared to renewable resources like solar and wind, which is obviously important to local-level politicians.

The US produces so much oil because we consume so much (top producer, top consumer), but we don't want it to become some kind of linchpin of our economy - even local state economies - like other nations did and suffer from the fickle winds of the market and geopolitical events because of it. Why produce more than we need as we are moving towards green energy? Let various OPEC member nations play that game as the rest of the world transitions. When we're mostly green we can then transition to mostly exporting our oil at even greater returns to less advanced nations as they stumble towards renewable resources.

An unfortunate side effect was, yes, buying energy from Russia. Nations trade with one another even when their interests don't align - it's just the way of the world. Look at China vs practically the entire world aside from Russia and North Korea.

In any event, longterm this will only hurt Russia the most. Other nations will adjust, continue to migrate to green energy, and Russia will decline even more - precisely because they rely on oil so much.
I always understood nuclear energy as cheap, clean, efficient, you dont get wild swings in prices.

Only downside is the event of a nuclear plant blowing up and then everyone talks about it being Chernobyl V2 for the rest of history. And it costs a lot of money and time to get the plant up and running.

But I forgot about the jobs part you brought up. No wonder politicians pump up other energy options. You never hear about them promoting nuclear.

Last edited:

Tams

It's an invasion now, so I hope the Ukrainians can send enough young Russian men in bodybags/zinc-lined coffins. Perhaps that would change their opinions.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It is not about jobs creation, it is actually overall potentially quite clean and efficient (waste management difficulties aside) energy independence that would have still pushed people away from oil, co-existed with renewable energy sources (and their peak / off peak production and storage issues). Still, do not disagree with your analysis just that the shift away from oil and gas is slow and may allow Russia to profit, make use of this profit, and move to some other alternatives in time… because the green energy approach has been over sold and abused and costs to people mostly hidden, we are nowhere near ready to move off gas unless we tolerate more people living without heating or with reduced heating nor we are ready to move off oil for similar reasons.

The shift off oil and gas (and coal) was not as pragmatic as it should have been and idealist and politicised and greatly helped recreate the west old enemy’s power.

MadAnon

Are they actually attacking from Belarus too? There was some video of russian troops supposedly crossing border, but nothing seems to be progressing there. Seems like they hit important military objects across the whole country with missiles but the actual crossing and attack is only in the eastern part.

Last edited:

Fluo

Im talking about human rights violation

You do not understand the conditioning russians've been through the last 20 or so years. 2014 hurt everyday russian in a way you can not imagine. Asking random russian for majority opinion and then condemning lack of humanity is not a cool thing to do. We're processing this as it happens and a lot of us are appalled.

Airbus Jr

Banned
You do not understand the conditioning russians've been through the last 20 or so years. 2014 hurt everyday russian in a way you can not imagine. Asking random russian for majority opinion and then condemning lack of humanity is not a cool thing to do. We're processing this as it happens and a lot of us are appalled.
Nonono...

We are not disscussing about the events happened 20 years ago..or 2014..or god knows when..

Were here disscussing about Rusia invasion on Ukraine...

Whatever events happened in the past cant justified this action....

Stick to the current topic my friend....

Last edited:

Fluo

Nonono...

I wasnt talking about the events happened 20 years ago..or 2014..or god knows when..

Then it looks to me you're not looking for an honest opinion, you just want to take out whatever grievances you have with Putin on russians.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Nonono...

I wasnt talking about the events happened 20 years ago..or 2014..or god knows when..

Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014 and annexed Crimea, leading to some strong sanctions against them from most notably the US - sanctions that hurt the common Russian far more than it did their elite oligarch class. That was the poster's point, if I understand them. This second invasion is directly connected. And it was only eight years ago. I think it's perfectly germane to the conversation.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Then it looks to me you're not looking for an honest opinion, you just want to take out whatever grievances you have with Putin on russians.
Im actually looking for an honest opinion

Honest opinion such as people like you my friend

You are russian right?

Whats your opinion on this attack? Do you support this ?

Last edited:
Are they actually attacking from Belarus too? There was some video of russian troops supposedly crossing border, but nothing seems to be progressing there. Seems like they hit important military objects across the whole country with missiles but the actual crossing and attack is only in the eastern part.

Yes Belarus troops has entered Ukraine from the North

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Russia invaded Ukraine in 2014 and annexed Crimea, leading to some strong sanctions against them from most notably the US - sanctions that hurt the common Russian far more than it did their elite oligarch class. That was the poster's point, if I understand them. This second invasion is directly connected. And it was only eight years ago. I think it's perfectly germane to the conversation.
I had to google what "germane" meant. lol

jufonuk

not tag worthy

And in 2019 Putin said that Russia has right to preventively destroy NATO facilities that they see as a threat, like US anti-missile shields in Poland and Romania.
What if the west decided they had the right to destroy Russian facilities they see as a threat ? I swear one day putin will declare something so blatantly insane that Russia will look silly supporting him. But they will.

Ivory Blood

I find the lack of humanity is apalling here

So many people there are apathetic and doesnt really care about your government bombing another country? Is that true? ( that is the impression i get from your answer)

Just burried their heads in the sands and pretend nothing happens like you describe?
Yeah, pretty much.
It's an invasion now, so I hope the Ukrainians can send enough young Russian men in bodybags/zinc-lined coffins. Perhaps that would change their opinions.
I don't think that wishing death on anyone is a good thing, even if it's in the 'wake up sheeple' cause.

FunkMiller

Do many of you believe the shit being spouted by the Kremlin, or is the general consensus that you realise it’s all propaganda lies?

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
What if the west decided they had the right to destroy Russian facilities they see as a threat ? I swear one day putin will declare something so blatantly insane that Russia will look silly supporting him. But they will.
Yes, they will go down with Putin if they have to, he has built that country around himself, imagine if FOX News was the only news channel in the country and 75% of the nation was hardcore Trump supporters. That's what you are looking at in Russia. I'm really curious as to the level of support this invasion is getting, I suspect it's very high.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A few last things to say before I head back to bed.

1. War sucks for all

2. You can never trust Russia. And some people wonder why Russia is always scapegoated in video games as an oppressor

3. I'm crossing my fingers other countries help out Ukraine

4. As unrelated and selfish as this sounds, I'm happy were neighbours with the US. If the US wanted to, they could squash us overnight and hoard our giant land mass but they dont. Dont act like an asshole to the US and they dont act like an asshole back. At worst the governments bicker about shit like lumber and steel tariff rates. Pretty sure the average Canuck and Yank sees each other as friendlies across their borders.

A few people above were trying to agitate trying to compare US and Russia in wars. US might be in a lot of wars, but they sure seem to be involved as global protectors. Not global land grabbers like it's a game of Risk.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Next looking at putin funny is declared an act of war

YyDVN8M.png
Why has no one just stumped up $1200 for this gal, dropped her off in Finland to move in to russia from the north, and let her just cause havoc?
Bonus points for having Hell March on the cd player in the helicopter dropping her off

MadAnon

AMcPTCY.jpg

one of my friend lives in Kyiv and she says the army has entered.
I'm sure the reports of russian army actually entering Kyiv would be all over the news. Currently there seems to be no reports or indications of some massive russian troop advances inside Ukraine's territory/taking over cities.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Do many of you believe the shit being spouted by the Kremlin, or is the general consensus that you realise it’s all propaganda lies?
A lot of the sentiments in places like Russia and China are built upon feelings that the U.S. is using NATO as a means to bully nations and that this attack is "standing up" to America and NATO.

Toots

Gold Member
your meme sucks there a war going on no time for silly memes
I don't even know what the meme was for but seriously lighten up dude...
It's human to try to find laughter in a terrible situation.
Getting your panties in a bunch will change exactly nothing you know.
We all feel stuff and it's okay, but we are all powerless, posting on a videogame forum, so apart from virtue signaling (which is worse than laughing about a tragedy, or even doing nothing) your post amount to nothing.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Not caring or at least not openly opposing anything our government does.
I have observe ( no offense)

That many russian people seems to share these same lethargic responses ( doesnt give a crap about bloodsht about to happens in other country caused by your government)

2 russian poster here ( you and ivory) and i see similar pattern

Last edited:

FunkMiller

A lot of the sentiments in places like Russia and China are built upon feelings that the U.S. is using NATO as a means to bully nations and that this attack is "standing up" to America and NATO.

Seems that way. All bare faced lies of course, but it’s 2022, so people will quite happily believe them if it suits their own bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom