• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

I think differently, Ms has a thing for letting info go in small tidbits to keep the hype flowing... If they left Ryse for last they must be very confident in it...

One thing's certain: I will never grant reviewers the power to dictate which games I'll like or dislike.

This game in reviews will come down to 2 very simple things, but in reality, one thing. How enjoyable the base combat system is, which is, of course, a given. The second and probably most important thing will be how satisfying the people playing feel the executions are. As much as you can play the game without performing executions, it heavily relies on the user actually finding them pretty badass and satisfying to pull off. Setting them up and flowing in and out of executions in conjunction with the core of the combat will make or break this game for some people. So the executions are very key to reviews, because they're designed to be a natural extension and big payoff of the combat system, in more ways than one. They are even the primary means by which you gain damage bonuses, health restoration, focus gain, and extra experience. The higher your combo counter, the more impressive the execution.

It's because I'm already so totally sold on this aspect of the game that I feel confidently that, as long as the enemy variety is good, and I come away finding the story enjoyable, I won't be disappointed with this game. So, for reviews, it really and truly does all come down to whether or not a reviewer likes and enjoys the executions, and happens to think they work well with the combat system. The game will get reviewed well, or not, solely on those grounds, and their reception to the story will more or less hinge entirely on how well they receive the executions and combat. If they hate the combat and executions, don't expect much positive impressions of the game's story. If they like the executions and combat, expect them to be more receptive to the story being told.

nynt9

One thing's certain: I will never grant reviewers the power to dictate which games I'll like or dislike.

This game in reviews will come down to 2 very simple things, but in reality, one thing. How enjoyable the base combat system is, which is, of course, a given. The second and probably most important thing will be how satisfying the people playing feel the executions are. As much as you can play the game without performing executions, it heavily relies on the user actually finding them pretty badass and satisfying to pull off. Setting them up and flowing in and out of executions in conjunction with the core of the combat will make or break this game for some people. So the executions are very key to reviews, because they're designed to be a natural extension and big payoff of the combat system, in more ways than one. They are even the primary means by which you gain damage bonuses, health restoration, focus gain, and extra experience. The higher your combo counter, the more impressive the execution.

It's because I'm already so totally sold on this aspect of the game that I feel confidently that, as long as the enemy variety is good, and I come away finding the story enjoyable, I won't be disappointed with this game. So, for reviews, it really and truly does all come down to whether or not a reviewer likes and enjoys the executions, and happens to think they work well with the combat system. The game will get reviewed well, or not, solely on those grounds, and their reception to the story will more or less hinge entirely on how well they receive the executions and combat. If they hate the combat and executions, don't expect much positive impressions of the game's story. If they like the executions and combat, expect them to be more receptive to the story being told.

I disagree. A game can have very solid combat, but end up being extremely repetitive and unfun in the long run if the game doesn't build on it. Or the game can be way too short. There are many factors to this, it's not as simple as you say.

Previously I was only interested in the game because it was really pretty, but after playing the multiplayer demo I gotta say that I really liked the core gameplay and combat mechanics. The animations in combat might look clumsy if you are watching, but when you are playing you love that they did that because it makes the controls really responsive.

What worries me about the game now is that they might have focused only in combats and end up having little to no variety...

But then again, if the campaign is short enough so it wont get dragged down or repetitive that might not even be a problem...

But I hope it sells well and we are granted a sequel. With enough time they can put so much stuff in this game, that I would hate to see all that potential wasted.

Haluko

I wasnt very hyped in general for either system, but this game has changed my mind. This is what next gen is supposed to look like. The animations are fucking stellar, and the faces, just wow. Best looking launch title.

I hope it plays as good as it looks.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I am impressed about how much performance Crytek is getting out of Xbox One.

I apologize if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it.. Does Ryse support rumble triggers?

Yes

r14_by_mpackart-d6uqzv3.gif

r15_by_mpackart-d6ur1r1.gif

dat AI count

daedalius

After watching the Gamespot playthrough of the first two levels, I'll definitely be getting the game, regardless of the reviews.

TehWhite

Neo Member
wasn't really crazy about this game untill tonight. going to play Spartacus Legends to get ready for this game =) .

TehWhite

Neo Member
Totally just wasted a 7 day xbox live gold trial. Apparently you cant play Spartacus Legends with a trial -____- . Now I have to sit here and wait till I can play ryse.

madmackem

First disc that goes into my machine, i cant wait to crack it open smell the new game smell and watch that slot suck the disc out of my hands. Sit back and enjoy.

And keep it that way. I don't even read reviews and I don't care about scores either. I know what I like and I know what I want to play ;)

I read reviews after I beat a game to see which review, if any, I most agree with, and then I pay attention to them in the future, but there are certain reviewers I can or can't trust for specific kinds of games. It's far from perfect.

KKRT00

Why are there no shadows at 11m?

Because they are already in shadow and there are no light sources nearby?

At 11:17 You can see fire that cast shadows, but its far away from player.

There are also small point of light at 11:14 for example, coming through the windows/roof and they cast shadows.

zoukka

Because they are already in shadow and there are no light sources nearby?

At 11:17 You can see fire that cast shadows, but its far away from player.

There are also small point of light at 11:14 for example, coming through the windows/roof and they cast shadows.

There should definitely be shadows/reflections under the dudes in that scene. Might be work in progress or a glitch.

Holy shit. The overall gameplay looks like it might get a bit tiresome, but DANG at those visuals and the executions. Looks phenomenal. As a Roman history nerd this is so far up my alley it's not funny.

as a roman history nerd I cringe at this glaive and scutum design...

Nemesis_

So I am buying this - I like the prospect of multiplayer and I am especially intrigued about the rumours that the story kind of goes in a
supernatural kind of
direction.

But are the rumours true about the game length?

zoukka

Why should there be shadows? They are in ambient light, not direct light.

And there are reflections.

Shadows don't magically disappear, they gradually fade the more ambient your light is. The light on the characters and the enviroments clearly communicate that there should be soft shadows on the floor or hard reflections because they are on a very reflective surface. It just looks wrong.

Top Bottom