• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S______L for PS5 to be revealed soon (The dedicated blueballs/Kojima 'conspiracy' thread)

Is this new Silent Hill real or fake?

• Real

Votes: 330 44.6%
  • Fake

Votes: 410 55.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bitbydeath

Gold Member
What delayed Sony event? People keep expecting a Sony event but they themselves haven’t mentioned squat.
The one that was supposed to occur in July.
Nobody believed it would be postponed in that thread either just because Abandoned was pushed back.

Last edited:

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
The one that was supposed to occur in July.
Nobody believed it would be postponed in that thread either just because Abandoned was pushed back.

Was that the one that was supposed to come after the last state of play, the one that everyone expected would be an extravaganza of announcements of new and remastered titles?

gmilh

Neo Member
This is absolutely nothing but a shitty indie dev grasping at straws.
Yeah no. Sorry but if you believe at this point that this is really an indie company, you're a very bad observant.
Just look at the Abandoned app, first thing you see is support for something like 7 languages, the order in which they are presented looks very industry standard, and if you try different languages in the following screen the translations for the only message in the app as of now, also read really professionally made.
Why is this important you ask? Well I'm myself an indie developer myself, looked at several indie games, and I know the workflow of several indie companies... you can tell this app was not made by indies.
Indies do not prioritise localisation in the slightest, if they did they'd prioritise the languages most known by the team members, and often they'd either google translate them or involve their community.
Now Blue Box is allegedly a dutch studio, if you look at games from the average dutch studio, they usually only have English or English and Dutch, but in the Abandoned app 'Nederlands' if listed 4th or 5th I think, which is more in line with the industry standard that you see in your average triple A game.
Now of course, they might have just copied the order from any triple A game, but then again why wouldn't any indie company do that then? Because actually localising the game for all those languages is expensive, and in an indie company you usually find only core game developers, rather than people with that kind of expertise. And since indie games are usually very niche and those companies can't afford global marketing in the first place, localising the game would almost always be a bad investment of money and time.

So if you take this, which I'm sure you'll call out as nitpicking, but being experience in this field I am sorry do disagree with you, but it's absolutely not, and combine facts like that Sony wouldn't give all this exposure (when I opened PS Store it was literally the 3rd game on the top bar) to an indie company which only released a broken prototype on Steam, that no indie company would have the manpower to create this kind of never seen before demo app just to promote their title, that they made a trailer using placeholder assets clearly to create an history for their project without giving away anything concrete about it, that the only person from this team we ever saw was that Kahrameran guy or however his name is spelled, that the Blue Box twitter account is giving hints upon hints, and all the other things surrounding this title. I am sorry but if after all of this you still believe into the narrative that this is just an indie, you're just fooling yourself.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
So how does a part of an interview "leak", exactly?
Allegedly the OP sent his recording of a private call to the mods of a Reddit forum to disprove all the rumours swirling around. Apparently one of them (who is no longer a mod btw) posted this snippet over the weekend.

Yeah no. Sorry but if you believe at this point that this is really an indie company, you're a very bad observant.
Just look at the Abandoned app, first thing you see is support for something like 7 languages, the order in which they are presented looks very industry standard, and if you try different languages in the following screen the translations for the only message in the app as of now, also read really professionally made.
Why is this important you ask? Well I'm myself an indie developer myself, looked at several indie games, and I know the workflow of several indie companies... you can tell this app was not made by indies.
Indies do not prioritise localisation in the slightest, if they did they'd prioritise the languages most known by the team members, and often they'd either google translate them or involve their community.
Now Blue Box is allegedly a dutch studio, if you look at games from the average dutch studio, they usually only have English or English and Dutch, but in the Abandoned app 'Nederlands' if listed 4th or 5th I think, which is more in line with the industry standard that you see in your average triple A game.
Now of course, they might have just copied the order from any triple A game, but then again why wouldn't any indie company do that then? Because actually localising the game for all those languages is expensive, and in an indie company you usually find only core game developers, rather than people with that kind of expertise. And since indie games are usually very niche and those companies can't afford global marketing in the first place, localising the game would almost always be a bad investment of money and time.

So if you take this, which I'm sure you'll call out as nitpicking, but being experience in this field I am sorry do disagree with you, but it's absolutely not, and combine facts like that Sony wouldn't give all this exposure (when I opened PS Store it was literally the 3rd game on the top bar) to an indie company which only released a broken prototype on Steam, that no indie company would have the manpower to create this kind of never seen before demo app just to promote their title, that they made a trailer using placeholder assets clearly to create an history for their project without giving away anything concrete about it, that the only person from this team we ever saw was that Kahrameran guy or however his name is spelled, that the Blue Box twitter account is giving hints upon hints, and all the other things surrounding this title. I am sorry but if after all of this you still believe into the narrative that this is just an indie, you're just fooling yourself.
Some people are just contrarians, others are dumb... finally some, are just overly careful and very pessimistic about things that could get them excited.
That's ok, things should get more clear by the end of next week :messenger_winking:
#teamreal4life

Is localization really that expensive? There are lots of outsourcing options that aren't that expensive, and if there isn't that much text in your trailer app, it shouldn't be that expensive overall.
If we're looking at a trailer app with a couple of pages of text - let's go high end at 1000 words, and high end of cost at 0.20 cents a word, and 7 languages.
That works out to $1400.00 USD.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Good lord, why is everything involving these guys so fucking stupid.
I guess they just want to believe.
A video was posted where a guy went through wayback machine to look at the wackiness that is the BB website. Someone asked in the comments how much it would take to get WB to put fake pages in to play along…and undermining any integrity that the site has! SMH.

WRT the leaked interview: This is just what I gathered lurking around the Reddit about it. If anyone wants to correct me feel free.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Is localization really that expensive? There are lots of outsourcing options that aren't that expensive, and if there isn't that much text in your trailer app, it shouldn't be that expensive overall.
If we're looking at a trailer app with a couple of pages of text - let's go high end at 1000 words, and high end of cost at 0.20 cents a word, and 7 languages.
That works out to $1400.00 USD.
I wouldn’t say high-end. Let’s not forget all the typos and weird grammatical stuff repeated across translations (rogue apostrophe). To me it looked like a Google translate job.

I wouldn’t say high-end. Let’s not forget all the typos and weird grammatical stuff repeated across translations (rogue apostrophe). To me it looked like a Google translate job.
Exactly. I chose the high end of amount of text and the high end of cost, even though I don't think that's what we're seeing here, to demonstrate that even then, it's not very expensive.

I don't see how translation and localization is the big tell for this to be some AAA gigantic game. It's not, and the translations they've done atm look auto translated through either google translate or cheap outsourcing without significant checking.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Or even Geoff’s response when asked about it.

He still is a kid journalist, he just keeps failing upward, dude is a hack and a clown.

He works in an industry that is so starved for anyone with even a quarter of a brain that they’ve allowed this mouth breather to become their hype man, sports journalists are smarter than game “hype machine“ journalists.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
By now I am convinced that we are all conteolled by the patriots.

La Li Lu Le Lo
Bill Belichick Binoculars GIF by Barstool Sports

GuinGuin

Banned

I also think Sony wouldn't allow for just any developer to start "polluting" the store with free "apps." The store is far more curated than something like Google Play and they've put a lot of work into it lately.

Javthusiast

Banned

They translated a couple of lines of text into multiple languages, not a whole fucking game, calm down. Even a shitty indie dev can do this.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
I also think Sony wouldn't allow for just any developer to start "polluting" the store with free "apps." The store is far more curated than something like Google Play and they've put a lot of work into it lately.
It’s very strange. Looking back over the history of the company with the chopping and changing of game names, viewpoints, graphic styles etc. at the drop of a hat , it seems very doubtful any publisher doing even the smallest amount of due diligence would touch them with a barge pole.
I‘ve got a pal who used to work in acquisitions and his reaction to the stuff prior to the “reveal” was; Nah! Crap demo, crap tech, flaky/sketchy company. Hard pass.

Last edited:

Kdad

👀
For those who don't like url shorteners
https://poptopic.com.au/news/sony-said-to-announce-metal-gear-solid-and-silent-hill-game-very-soon/

Personally didn't click on it as i'm imagining poptopic isn't a primary source but is just summarizing reddit/GAF

kyoji

He still is a kid journalist, he just keeps failing upward, dude is a hack and a clown.

He works in an industry that is so starved for anyone with even a quarter of a brain that they’ve allowed this mouth breather to become their hype man, sports journalists are smarter than game “hype machine“ journalists.
Bruh wtf… i got no words smh

They say they have a source close to Sony. However I couldn’t really find new infos expect that the Death Stranding Trailer is a teaser for the new MGS game. I guess they mean the announcement trailer since that had strong MGS vibes.

Faithless83

Banned
If it’s too good to be true that means it probably is.
Usually I agree, but we now live in a post FF7R world.
Sony is all in with the idea of PS5 being the Playstation console with the most exclusives, that adds fuel to the fire.
They have BluePoint (yeah, not confirmed, but wait and see), and nostalgia for "dead IPs" is on an all time high.
It's easier to greenlit such projects, considering the development cost and the almost certain profit behind it.

New IPs are hard to create, Silent Hills is an insta buy for most just for the story behind it.
Sony saving dead franchises is a great PR move.

Hugare

Eat your Snickers, dude

“Abandoned Realtime Experience” teaser/trailer is all that fans want it to be, plus a whole lot more.

eric andre cake GIF
Half Life 3 and Chrono Trigger remake confirmed

Thank you Kojimbo

Dabaus

Banned
Usually I agree, but we now live in a post FF7R world.
Sony is all in with the idea of PS5 being the Playstation console with the most exclusives, that adds fuel to the fire.
They have BluePoint (yeah, not confirmed, but wait and see), and nostalgia for "dead IPs" is on an all time high.
It's easier to greenlit such projects, considering the development cost and the almost certain profit behind it.

New IPs are hard to create, Silent Hills is an insta buy for most just for the story behind it.
Sony saving dead franchises is a great PR move.
Ff7 is episodic With no indication of how long, if ever they’ll finish it. That’s the definition of too good to be true.

Don’t get me wrong, I want these rumors to be true, I’m just trying to be realistic.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
“Abandoned Realtime Experience” teaser/trailer is all that fans want it to be, plus a whole lot more.

eric andre cake GIF
Duke Nukem Foreve 2001/2002 released ?!
Thje Darkness 2007 ported to pc ?!
Gears 2 and 3 on pc ?!!!!
Thank heavens

Faithless83

Banned
Ff7 is episodic With no indication of how long, if ever they’ll finish it. That’s the definition of too good to be true.

Don’t get me wrong, I want these rumors to be true, I’m just trying to be realistic.
FF7 on that level of quality demanded that. They'll finish it for sure. People who didn't buy it "because it's not complete" are missing out on a great game. I think it's a great balance. They are also releasing a more "traditional" remake on mobile (yeah I know, but see it being ported to consoles later on).

Back on topic, this has been rumored for a long time now. I seriously don't get the doubt about it, with everything pointing out to be true.

Last edited:
i always knew that death stranding metal gear tease had more to it. lets not forget that kojima worked at konami for a long time. they couldnt hold that grudge forever. especially when theres money to be made. sony probably helped it along too, as MGS is one of the core ip that built the PlayStation brand from the beginning. its one of the games that helped PlayStation take off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom