• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

jbug617

Banned
Sailor Moon R Part 1 coming to DVD/Bluray on July 14th
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKV6I31WL6c

Nhrm4M8.png

Ayumi

I'm sorry for how immature this sounds but "uncut" makes me laugh every time I read it.

English is fun.

Conan-san

Sandy Fox's ChibiUsa sounds absolutely fine even if all I can think about is "This is what Flone would sound like if she was PO'd"

Cheerilee

Sailor Moon R Part 1 coming to DVD/Bluray on July 14th
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKV6I31WL6c

Nhrm4M8.png

Sailor Moon trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lUnzJ30jDA
- presented in 720p
- detail has been scrubbed away along with the film grain
- has interlacing issues (which nobody was looking for)

Sailor Moon R trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKV6I31WL6c
- presented in 480p
- film grain is visible (look at the pattern in the white around the exclamation marks)
- no apparent interlacing issues

Did Viz learn their lesson? I'm cautiously optimistic. Not optimistic enough to put down money, since my trust is mostly gone because of the way Viz handled things earlier, but still, I'm optimistic.

cj_iwakura

Wouldn't the player you were watching it on, or just your settings, change the look of the subtitles? Unless they're hardcoded to the video, that is.

I always gathered those were hardcoded.

As for Viz's SMR, blech. The cover is just so... generic.

At least ADV's had character.

51QAPXGNY6L.jpg

Cheerilee

I always gathered those were hardcoded.

VKLL (and Studio C for the early stuff) was laserdisc-based hardsubbed VHS.

SenshiTV ripped VHS tapes to crappy RealMedia.

SMC re-ripped them to superior DivX AVI.

Then SMC re-encoded everything as softsubbed OGM. Not sure what their Japanese video source was (probably a fresh laserdisc rip). I think they kept VKLL's translation to use as at least a base for their translation.

Around the time the R2 DVDs came out, they re-encoded everything again with high-quality R2 DVD rips as the video base (although they still boosted colors because they felt it looked nicer), and put it in a modern MKV container. This version's been around for years, and is definitely the most common Sailor Moon fansub.

Edit: Corvo seems to be watching the SMC version, possibly through a streaming web-based player, because one of his previous screenshots had black bars for widescreen. That could cause player issues relating to subtitle fonts.

MikeMyers

Just a heads up, Viz confirmed on their Sailor Moon account that they are now dubbing Crystal on the Blu-Ray version of Crystal.

I don't think that gif will really mean anything for Sailor Moon Crystal. The show is already HD, so they don't need to make any fake HD version of it like they did with the first season of the original anime, which is the main issue with their release. The other big issue was the the DVDs were just downsampled versions of their weird fake HD version instead of the original source material, and that the first volume was set to anamorphic widescreen...

Cheerilee

Yes, but:

2lbEAqq.gif

That's another good sign. They had previously said they were going all-out on 90's Sailor Moon, and didn't have time to dub Crystal, and would dub Crystal when they finished with 90's Sailor Moon.

If they're taking their time to get 90's Sailor Moon done right, that means they've freed up some space for the VA's to dub Crystal.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Now back to the REAL topic.
I dug up the Script Crypt entry for episode 72. Groups like VKLL dropped their translations there for everyone to use.

It says... "We saw the true nature of the Black Moon."

cj_iwakura

Any recommendations?

I actually have played the Sailor Moon fighter for the Saturn. Wasn't too big on it.

Heh, pretty sure I've mentioned that I still own that. It was the first game I ever imported, in the height of my SM obsession. It's worthless to anyone but me, so I'm keeping it.

The cutscenes and music are neat, so there's that.
(No really, Pluto's theme is dynamite.)

Depends on what you're into, but if that includes RPGs, Dragon Force and Magic Knight Rayearth are must-plays. Panzer Dragoon Saga is overrated, IMO. On the cheap, Shining The Holy Ark is solid.

Conan-san

If they're taking their time to get 90's Sailor Moon done right, that means they've freed up some space for the VA's to dub Crystal.

I'm cautiously optimistic.
Let's not kid ourselves though, Crystal is a complete and utter disaster and no dub outside of a samurai pizza cats gag dub will save it.

Ayumi

It is! I'll watch it and report back. I dunno if fansubbers have paid attention to Sailor Moon news at all but they might catch on eventually and sub the show for you guys.

MikeMyers

It is! I'll watch it and report back. I dunno if fansubbers have paid attention to Sailor Moon news at all but they might catch on eventually and sub the show for you guys.

Really looking forward to your response. I hope Toei wouldn't sink so level to use Viz's "remaster" as opposed to doing their own.

Ayumi

Really looking forward to your response. I hope Toei wouldn't sink so level to use Viz's "remaster" as opposed to doing their own.
Dunno know if the difference will be *that* great. And I probably won't watch it every time it airs (I loooove the music but oh god I'm so sick of the OP) because I'e seen the anime so many times, it's not even funny.

The 90s Sailor Moon BGM is insanely good though. I love it so much!

Ayumi

Sailor Moon HD Remaster:

I liked it! It looks very nice on my TV at least. (Though it was too hard to take pictures.)
You can call it a good looking upscale. I suppose.
Honestly I don't give a shit about the technical anime side so I can't say much, I'm not a turbonerd.
People asked me if it was a remaster or upscale, I don't really care? I enjoyed it.

Never watched VIZ' shit, but people say it's way better than that.

Either way, it was very enjoyable.

Sailor Moon S 05

Guess he doesn't want to talk about that time he kissed her while she was sleeping :p

We get to see what happens when a person without a pure heart wakes up and Mamoru can't even give somebody a ride without Usagi getting jealous.

Zoe

This week's S episode really highlights the difference between UsaMamo's relationship in the manga and anime :lol

MikeMyers

Ikuhara wasn't really big on the Usagi/Mamoru dynamic. Probably why the anime seemed to keep Usagi/Haruka and ignore Mamoru/Michiru.

CorvoSol

Sailor Moon R

Finished the series. Probably gonna take some time to compose my thoughts later on, but on the whole I enjoyed it much more than the first season.

I enjoyed the way the show explored love in a romantic as well as familial and friendly sense. I appreciated that they brought Naru back for the finale to remind the audience that Usagi once had friends who didn't have funny colored shoes. I liked that the villains this season were less "LOL WE THE DARK KINGDOM BITCHES WE DO THIS SHIT CUZ IT'S EVIL AND EVIL IS SO COOL" and more motivated. The Black Moon clan's motivations took a long time to become clear, and I don't feel they were as on point as characters as the Space Elves, but they worked out well enough.

I confess I enjoyed Chibi-Usa more when they played her as a frightened child and less as a huge bitch in a tiny body. She'd grown on me by the end, but I still am wary of her power to usurp attention from other characters.

Usagi is kind of the best part of the show for me, though. I really enjoy the moments where she becomes serious. I like the contrast with her flighty self. There's a moment before Rubeus' confrontation where Usagi is getting reading to face him alone and she mocks how afraid of regular old Youma she was when all this began, and I loved that scene. It was just very human for her, and a good way to show the audience how far she's come.

Neo Queen Serenity kind of works well, too, because she displays a sort of end result of Usagi. How the whole experience matures her. It has to, given she eventually becomes God-Queen of Earth.

That said the time travel shit has me confused as fuck.

Ayumi

You guys, especially Corvo, is making me wanna watch again and write reviews.. But perhaps I could do the manga instead. Won't be able to post any pics though, I guess..

Wish I could post the original Naoko artbook works too... So beautiful! But they weren't released officially as digital files so I suppose anything but screenshots and fanart is forbidden?

Yazuka

Now with the new dub is out and all and have been for some time.
Did they translate any of the songs in the old anime?

Cheerilee

Now with the new dub is out and all and have been for some time.
Did they translate any of the songs in the old anime?

These days, anime dubs don't translate songs. That's seen as blasphemy by both the Japanese rights holders and the hardcore American otaku, and seen as expensive by the American dubbing studio. The openings and endings of the new dub are in their original Japanese, with English subtitles. Certain "background music" songs will likely also remain Japanese (and have subtitles which you can turn on or off), because so far the background music is being kept entirely as it was in the Japanese original.

But the new voice actors were specifically mentioned to have been chosen partly based on their singing talent, and there are occasions when the characters sing during the episodes, so it's almost certain that those parts will be sung, in English, by the new voice actors. There has already been at least one instance of this (Usagi and Naru go to a talent audition, and sing badly).

Cheerilee

It's a shame, because some companies(Working Designs back in the day, Disney as of recent) are damn good at it.

And consider, pretty much every anime DVD and Blu-ray nowadays is dual-audio. If you want English, click on English. If you want Japanese, click on Japanese. An English song shouldn't really offend anyone, but I guess it all comes down to money.

Bladenic

So in episode 94, shouldn't Uranus and Neptune have figured out that Sailor moon is Usagi since she said Unazuki's name while transformed?

Yazuka

These days, anime dubs don't translate songs. That's seen as blasphemy by both the Japanese rights holders and the hardcore American otaku.

Bummer. I was actually hoping for some English dubbed songs. Just to hear how they would turn out. One of the reasons I enjoyed watching German dubbed anime in the past. They did good covers of both Sailor Moon, Dragonball and Digimon songs among others. Bus I guess I'm in the minority with this the.

Top Bottom