• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

The bitrate is too low to handle the transformation sequence without macroblocking, but again, while there are other flaws in the picture it's mostly out of being a stream encode.

c3LfS56.jpg

Yeah, those sequences could look better...but this is streaming internet video, so, you can't expect it to be flawless!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I was more looking for color balance and detail preservation, and both seem to be OK. Colors are a bit amped but nothing excessive so it remains pleasant to look at.

Edit: Ah yeah, the ED1 backdrop is fully visible at the start.

Regardless of anything, this is still easily the best I've seen Sailor Moon look. And the sound...it's actually clear now! I've only ever watched the old DVD versions, and those sounded pretty bad.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Regardless of anything, this is still easily the best I've seen Sailor Moon look. And the sound...it's actually clear now! I've only ever watched the old DVD versions, and those sounded pretty bad.
KAA had a decent s1 encode from the R2 DVDs only crushing a little detail, but their subs were laughably horrible as they had varying color and font for every character as well as incredibly dumb TL notes for the most obvious things (like "Beryl is a bad guy").

Edit: Oh yeah, the subs on Hulu are bigger for me than they are for you. Dunno if it's a browser or platform thing.

I feel stupid. You need Hulu Plus to access the HD stream.

Edit: Hold the phone, there might not even be an HD stream.
Subscribe to Hulu Plus to watch this show on your TV and mobile devices.
Compare to Ranma 1/2.
Subscribe to Hulu Plus to watch this show in HD on your TV, mobile and computer.

It's nice to see Sailor Moon as the first thing that pops up on the front page of Hulu. :)

9lZeQpU.jpg

KAA had a decent s1 encode from the R2 DVDs only crushing a little detail, but their subs were laughably horrible as they had varying color and font for every character as well as incredibly dumb TL notes for the most obvious things (like "Beryl is a bad guy").

Those notes sound hilarious. Now I almost feel like watching that. Haha.

Edit: Oh yeah, the subs on Hulu are bigger for me than they are for you. Dunno if it's a browser or platform thing.

So, it's just me? Weird...

I'm using FireFox to watch it. The tiny subtitles are making it kinda hard to read while trying to pay attention to what's going on.

Oh, yeah, speaking of Hulu Plus...I have a one-month code that I can't use, so if anyone here wants it, let me know.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
QUESTION: So given that there's a regular stream broadcast of old Sailor Moon that's going to largely coincide with the stream broadcast of new Sailor Moon for the foreseeable future, how is this going to be handled thread-wise?

MikeMyers

QUESTION: So given that there's a regular stream broadcast of old Sailor Moon that's going to largely coincide with the stream broadcast of new Sailor Moon for the foreseeable future. How is this going to be handled thread-wise?

I guess every Saturday and Monday will have a different set or reactions?

I mean:

Mondays:
Sailor Moon Classic 1
Whoa, Usagi is Sailor Moon

Saturdays:
Sailor Moon Crystal 1
Whoa, Usagi is Sailor Moon

Something like that. Not to mention Crystal is only bi-weekly anyway

Since the first chapter of the manga and the first episode of the original show are nearly identical, will we essentially be watching the same thing we just did but with new animation come July 5th? I wonder...

Oh, and in case anyone missed this in my previous post:
Oh, yeah, speaking of Hulu Plus...I have a one-month code that I can't use, so if anyone here wants it, let me know.

I just realized that there are options for the size of the subtitles among other things, so I just adjusted that. I never watched anything with subtitles/closed captioning on Hulu before, I think.

MikeMyers

I already have Hulu Plus, but thanks for the offer. Perhaps Hitokage can take it?

Yeah, I imagine the first episode wont be changed much in Crystal.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'll take it!

There are a few things that will change in the first episode. One involves Tuxedo Mask's introduction, and another involves how exactly Usagi and Luna meet.

I'll take it!

Sent! Hopefully it works for you. I got it when I signed up for GameFly just to rent Titanfall, but it I couldn't activate the Hulu Plus code since my account already used several trials in the past. Heh.

There are a few things that will change in the first episode. One involves Tuxedo Mask's introduction, and another involves how exactly Usagi and Luna meet.

Oh, yeah, that's true. Heh.

MikeMyers

Oh right, no more rose-throwing spam.

But hey, at least there is La Smoking Bom-ba later on.

Oh yeah, you can use your Hulu Plus to watch SM on TV via smart TV or consoles.

Pluto

Hmm...I don't remember ever seeing this version of the opening, where the girls don't remove the veils over them as they pass by the screen. And here I thought that only the later seasons made little changes like that to the opening as time passed!
This version of the opening was use for the first five or six episodes, Toei never provided a credit less version of it that's why all international versions used the slightly changed second version.

The quality is good enough for a stream but I don't think I'll watch more episodes, the ads are annoying.

MikeMyers

Don't mean to disrupt the discussion but...

Sailor Moon R 80
tumblr_mesurduQGN1ro8ba4o1_500.png

Ami's not in the best emotional state as school kids are accusing her of cheating, and then the latest baddie is trying to manipulate Ami against her friends! What's more amazing about this episode, is that now my list "when characters get screentime" no longer has any ties. Can't wait to finish it and post the list. As for the episode, it was okay but the taunting was really corny. Like Mars mocking Mercurys outfit was just goofy, but seeing Makoto beat up the bullies was awesome.

Okay, back to Hulu.

I think I might keep watching the subtitled version online, and then watch the new dub when I get the Blu-ray/DVD combo packs later on.

I'm REALLY curious to hear the dub voices.

When I read the manga the DiC voices come back to haunt me. *Shivers*

Haha! Yeah, the same thing happens to me. It probably didn't help that I recently watched every single episode of the dubbed version just a few month ago, just to see what it was like. Heh.

I'm never doing that again, though!

MikeMyers

I can't even remember Uranus and Neptune's dub voices, so Viz will be the only dub voice I remember.

Although I'll probably keep to the original version as the one I listen to most of the time.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I have the voices of Kotono Mitsuishi, Aya Hisakawa, Tomoe Michizawa, Emi Shinohara, Rika Fukami, Tooru Furuya, and Keiko Han burned into my mind so much that the dub voices no longer come to mind when I think of them speaking.

Except Koan. I can still hear her raspy dub voice.

BBboy20

You know, I actually think the same VO who did Dr. Birkin in Resident Evil 2. did the voice of that mad scientist later in the series.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Apparently Minako and Makoto's VAs had the exact same birthday.

Burned into your mind eh? Curious to see if Crystal changes that! ;)
Well, for PGSM they're different versions of the characters so they have different voices for that. I expect it'll be the same for Crystal.

MikeMyers

Man, great to see Sailor Moon on Hulu today. I'm really excited for the box sets :D

I'm kind of hoping for a different Senshi on the cover of each release, like the new manga.

Classic Set 1 - Usagi
Classic Set 2 - Ami

R Set 1 - Rei
R Set 2 - Makoto

S Set 1 - Minako
S Set 2 - Hotaru

SuperS Set 1 - Chibiusa
SuperS Set 2 - Mamoru

Stars Set 1 - Setsuna, Michiru, Haruka
Stars Set 2 - Seiya, Taiki, Yaten

Conan-san

I'm kind of hoping for a different Senshi on the cover of each release, like the new manga.

Classic Set 1 - Usagi
Classic Set 2 - Ami

R Set 1 - Rei
R Set 2 - Makoto

S Set 1 - Minako
S Set 2 - Hotaru

SuperS Set 1 - Chibiusa
SuperS Set 2 - Mamoru

Stars Set 1 - Setsuna, Michiru, Haruka
Stars Set 2 - Seiya, Taiki, Yaten

Honestly I expect them to use localised versions the first and last covers of the Japanese Remastered dvds for each season.

It's too good art to not at least take a swing for it.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon R 81
tumblr_meu6wqYEbV1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

"That's where the damn GIF is from"
So we find out Chibiusa has a friend who looks and acts like a Chibi Makoto while her name Mamo sounds very similar to Mamo-chan. Then these two villains who are probably related to Kunzite turn everyone at Chibiusas school evil. At one point when Chibiusa is proved she unleashes her powers which gives the bad guys a new agenda. First time we see Wiseman, I think. Also I wonder why they made a mini version of Makoto to be Chibiusas friend?

Overall I liked the episode for the horror-type themes it had, and the sense of mystery with what is going on with the villains.

Pluto

I think all of the recent releases outside of Japan have been using Marco Albiero's art, but I do wonder if the U.S. release will use those, original Japanese art, or something new.
Yup, Italy, Mexico, Germany and France (and probably others) all used his art, I'm pretty sure Viz will use it too, it seems to come packaged with the dvd license.

MikeMyers

Haha, perhaps one day Viz will release a nostalgia set of the old dub. Not that I'd buy it

Random but this scene always makes me laugh:

LET'S DANCING!

Hmm, what episode is this from? My favourite MOTW is the Boxing Priest.

I AM THE CHAMPION WOW

New images of the Sailor Moon Pullip doll:

It looks a lot better now than I remember it looking a few months ago. I don't know anything about Pullip dolls, though. Or dolls in general.

I love that scene.

By the way, been meaning to tell you that since you have tumblr you can follow the blog dedicated to the PGSM girls.

Hmm, what episode is this from? My favourite MOTW is the Boxing Priest.

I AM THE CHAMPION WOW

Best villain of all time.

By the way, been meaning to tell you that since you have tumblr you can follow the blog dedicated to the PGSM girls.

I don't really use Tumblr much besides to post stuff I make on my Sailor Moon and Jem and the Holograms pages, but...I'll consider following it after I look through their posts for a bit.

I did follow you and a few of the others here that followed my Sailor Moon one, though. If you saw this recently show up as a follower, then that's me. All of my pages are linked under one login, so my original account is the one that "follows" everything, like the creepy stalker that it is. Hah.

Top Bottom