• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

I see, perhaps I should have read actual article instead of @VizMedia tweets.

Is anyone going to re-read the Dark Kingdom portion of the manga before Crystal comes out? I plan on doing so.

I still have yet to read-read it. :(

I should really get around to that. I've got up to volume six and I only read the first one (2 years after I bought it). I'm a really lazy reader...

Conan-san

I'm really glad ANN called them out for it, because they're such good journalists... oh wait.
Zac Butchy is a pretentious art snob clown of the highest order who'd throw every anime made under the bus to get a season two of Aku no Hana.

Journalistic integrity is a far off second to him.

MikeMyers

I still have yet to read-read it. :(

I should really get around to that. I've got up to volume six and I only read the first one (2 years after I bought it). I'm a really lazy reader...

I'm a lazy reader too. Still going through the new Ranma 1/2 manga release, just got to Shampoo's debut today.

MikeMyers

Shampoo and Kodachi are my favourite characters.

Well I generally read a chapter of manga before I go to bed, it helps me get to bed.

My legs help me get to bed. I didn't know that manga could carry people somehow, though.

Anyway, I just remembered that I watched the first episode of Pretty Cure a few weeks ago. I never got around to watching any more, though. I was too distracted by other shows, and I...guess I wasn't really "feeling" Pretty Cure at the moment, but I might watch the second episode in a bit and give it another try.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
My legs help me get to bed. I didn't know that manga could carry people somehow, though.

Anyway, I just remembered that I watched the first episode of Pretty Cure a few weeks ago. I never got around to watching any more, though. I was too distracted by other shows, and I...guess I wasn't really "feeling" Pretty Cure at the moment, but I might watch the second episode in a bit and give it another try.
Start with Happiness Charge or Heartcatch.

MikeMyers

Get to bed is another expression for "fall asleep" you know.

As for PreCure, I've been watching the current one, which reminds me a LOT of Sailor Moon. I'm probably not going to watch the rest due to how time consuming that would be, but I'm kinda interested in Futari Wa since apparently Daisuke Nishio directed it and I really like how Nishio directed Dragon Ball's action scenes.

Get to bed is another expression for "fall asleep" you know.

782Jffq.gif

I wish there was a Sailor Moon gif for this.

Cheerilee

Still so many grumpy grumpy people..

Not so much grumpy as worried and disappointed.

Sailor Moon being back is amazing. All 200 episodes (that means Stars, and no missing episodes)! Plus the movies, and all the specials! A month ago, I would have said this was impossible. In fact, I probably did.

But the BluRays are going to be FakeRays. They got me excited for a few minutes there, but the BluRays are going to be useless novelties included with the Limited Edition versions of the DVD sets. CD soundtracks would actually have been way more useful.

And if this is just a DVD set, then it's kind of ten years late to the party. Why is it ten years late? Don't ask. I suppose it's better late than never, but it's kind of hard to stay excited about it. Especially if you already have four seasons and the movies on DVD.

But these DVDs are going to be better quality than those earlier ones. But then again, they won't be as good as they can be. It appears that they won't be as good as the Japanese Remaster, which is somehow not even as good as the Italian release of the Japanese Remaster. How is that possible? And it just feels like a stab in the heart, because BluRay had the potential to deliver the Sailor Moon anime in essentially it's maximum limit of quality, putting both the Japanese and Italian releases to rest. But no, we have to be happy with third-best. Remember, it's still better than ADV's mangled release. At least this way, Japanese fans aren't going to reverse-import or pirate the cheaper North American version, and that's the most important thing, right?

And all we have to put up with is tweaked colors and overuse of filters. Which is exactly what we've had for years thanks to fansubs. All 200 episodes, the movies and specials, all free, if you're willing to ignore the rights of a rights-holder who ignores you.

But now it's legal. That seems to be all we're left with. *sigh*

Best to let it out of your system now, that way you'll feel better in a few months when it's time to pay. And I will pay. I'll pay for the clean audio. I'll pay for the (mostly) clean picture. I'll pay for the new dub. I'll pay for Stars.

New Sailor Moon's Premiere Event Excludes Men — Unless Accompanied by Women

The official website for the 20th anniversary of the Sailor Moon franchise announced on Friday that there will be an advance premiere screening event for the Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal anime series. The women's fashion magazine ViVi is collaborating on the June 30 event to celebrate the heroine Usagi's birthday.

The "birthday party" will feature ViVi models and "secret guests." The Zepp Diver City facility in Tokyo will host the screening of the new anime's first episode on June 30 at 7:00 p.m. However, the staff caution that the time is subject to change. Moreover, male attendees will not be allowed — unless accompanied by a female attendee.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I would think that given capacity concerns they wanted to make sure their female audience had a place instead of it getting flooded by otaku.

Pluto

I would think that given capacity concerns they wanted to make sure their female audience had a place instead of it getting flooded by otaku.
Maybe, but it's Sailor Moon, they're going to het flooded by otaku no matter what and I think to some degree they want that, considering the series will be streamed. I don't know about Japan but internationally kids probably won't flock to a japanese streaming site to watch Crystal. The series targets otaku at least to some degree, they want them just not front and center with no females in sight.

Conan-san

Not the ideal solution (not that I could pull one out of my arse) but it is what will separate it from the precure events where there's like 8 year old girls and 20-35 year old men who are clearly not their fathers.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon R 84
tumblr_mf5bu9H9LC1ro8ba4o1_500.png

Wiseman is pulling mad mind games, including manipulating Esmeraude and turning her into a Dragon who battles the Senshi. I gotta say, in addition to this arc giving me a new-found appreciation of Chibiusa, it also really gave me more appreciation of the bad guys here.

And yes, Shampoo is the best character in Ranma 1/2:
tumblr_muy5g75Sk41rkdga9o1_500.gif

Sailor Moon R 84
tumblr_mf5bu9H9LC1ro8ba4o1_500.png

Wiseman is pulling mad mind games, including manipulating Esmeraude and turning her into a Dragon who battles the Senshi. I gotta say, in addition to this arc giving me a new-found appreciation of Chibiusa, it also really gave me more appreciation of the bad guys here.

And yes, Shampoo is the best character in Ranma 1/2:
tumblr_muy5g75Sk41rkdga9o1_500.gif

Shampoo's the best female born a female. ;3

Gonna watch more Sailor Hulu today. Damn commercials...

Zoe

People are actually raging over this? Female-only events are pretty common in Japan. I'm surprised they're allowing accompanied men at all.

MikeMyers

So I got a summer internship, which will hopefully pay me enough to afford the Sailor Moon Blu-Rays. Don't think it will be appropriate show up to work in my Tuxedo Kamen outfit, but I did show up to my college a few times as Tuxedo Kamen as well as my senior prom.

One day I wanna cosplay as Fisheye too.

EDIT: Since we are on the subject on Shampoo, I was gonna say her design reminds a lot of Lum from Urusei Yatsura. On the other hand, Kodachi Kuno the other character I really like, reminds me of Kagura from Inuyasha. Makes sense since they are all Takahashi.

Pluto

Kodansha has released the covers for the new edition of Sailor V.

v11lulu.jpg
v2czuzv.jpg

I have to say I'm a little bit disappointed, I'm not sure what I expected but they're not nearly as nice as the Sailor Moon covers

cj_iwakura

I was more a Lum person than a Ranma person. More potential for shit to get whacky with the setup Lum had.

Lum's insanity is great, but I think Ranma has the better core cast and plot. Ranma and Akane are likable people. Ataru is pretty much scum, though he redeems himself pretty well in movie 5(?).

cj_iwakura

Interesting Bluray controversy, would it have been better if FUNi did the Blurays?

I think it's down to sheer nitpicking, personally. I hate when resolution debates get this meticulous. It looks great, IMO.

Besides, all I want is Stars. My ADV/Pioneer sets of 1-4 are okay by me.

Cheerilee

I think it's down to sheer nitpicking, personally. I hate when resolution debates get this meticulous. It looks great, IMO.

Besides, all I want is Stars. My ADV/Pioneer sets of 1-4 are okay by me.

Comparing the Japanese>Italian>USA DVDs is nitpicking.

But the BluRays are being made with DVD source, and are apparently going to be technically inferior to DVDs that already exist (in Italy). That's just unacceptable.

When you buy the Limited Edition (and I'm going to buy the Limited Edition), the only reason to put the BluRay into your player instead of the DVD (the LE comes with both) is if you're one of those people who likes to play SNES games in an emulator with an "HD filter" turned on (although Viz's HD filter is just trying to take the edge off the pixels, and nowhere near as obnoxious as Funi's HD filter).

Interesting Bluray controversy, would it have been better if FUNi did the Blurays?
Part of the issue seems to be that Viz is limited to working with the source that Toei provided (they've already used that line on twitter). Viz is spending actual money on these upconverting filters, so if Toei isn't letting Viz get access to a real HD source (film), then they probably wouldn't be letting Funi touch that either.

cj_iwakura

Comparing the Japanese>Italian>USA DVDs is nitpicking.

But the BluRays are being made with DVD source, and are apparently going to be technically inferior to DVDs that already exist (in Italy). That's just unacceptable.

When you buy the Limited Edition (and I'm going to buy the Limited Edition), the only reason to put the BluRay into your player instead of the DVD (the LE comes with both) is if you're one of those people who likes to play SNES games in an emulator with an "HD filter" turned on (although Viz's HD filter is just trying to take the edge off the pixels, and nowhere near as obnoxious as Funi's HD filter).

I have a TV that makes it hard to tell the difference between blu-ray and DVD, so maybe that's why I don't really care.

MikeMyers

I enjoy Ranma 1/2 quite a bit, it has a lot of fun characters and antics. Although after the second season I just started skipping episodes and watching the ones where the plot interested me. Still need to check out the OVAs.

Found this on google search, haha.

cj_iwakura

I enjoy Ranma 1/2 quite a bit, it has a lot of fun characters and antics. Although after the second season I just started skipping episodes and watching the ones where the plot interested me. Still need to check out the OVAs.

Found this on google search, haha.

The OVAs are fantastic. An Akane To Remember > Desperately Seeking Shampoo > any order. The orochi duology has my favorite just-kiss-dammit moment in the series.

Top Bottom