• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
KvrBHv7.gif
This is from SMC's ep 47, isn't it?

This is from SMC's ep 47, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure it's from the first episode of the series...unless there was a recap I don't remember, and there's some sort of tiny difference in the animation in it that I don't know about?

Anyway, I didn't make the gif, so I don't know what the video source is. It might be SMC, or it might just be someone else who messed around with the picture settings too much. Tumblr is known for that, and I think the gif originates from their. Most of my gifs are from PGSM. I only made maybe...two gifs from the anime? If even that.

I got the gif from some post by Man Puncher in a 3DO thread ages ago when I was searching for opinions on the 3DO here, since I've been thinking about getting one. I have no idea how I remembered that, though.

I've never watched the SMC versions, by the way. Just the ADV/Pioneer ones...and the first episode of Viz's version on Hulu.

MikeMyers

I recall seeing that intimidated Usagi animation when I watched the first four episodes on Hulu. Although it wouldn't be surprising if that exact same animation appeared later on in the series. This is Toei Animation, after all.

Saw this on Facebook and it made me laugh. It's a reference to how in early Season 1 Usagi had a swimsuit with holes in it, and then in a later episode she uses the swimsuit and tries to cover the holes.

Noob question here, don't know if anyone has an answer for this, but anyway...I saw half of the first (what I assume are the original, old episodes) episode on Hulu, but I had a hard time reading the sub because the words are in yellow and they blend in too much with the background sometimes. So then I watched half of the first episode dubbed on youtube...and what the characters were saying in the dubbed version was COMPLETELY different than what they were saying in the subbed version. Is the youtube dub the official dub, or some sort of weird fan dub? Is there an official dub? Or should I just forget about a dub and watch the sub, even if it's not ideal?

but I had a hard time reading the sub because the words are in yellow and they blend in too much with the background sometimes.

You can change the color, size, font, and other settings of the subtitles in the little video menu.

Is the youtube dub the official dub, or some sort of weird fan dub? Is there an official dub? Or should I just forget about a dub and watch the sub, even if it's not ideal?

The old official dub is practically a completely different (and very dumbed down) show, at least during the first two seasons. The new dub that'll be available this Fall is supposed to be accurate, though.

MikeMyers

That is the original dub you are watching, but it is not really faithful. The first two seasons are DiC, whose dub consists of episodes being edited or just completely skipped. The script is altered and the acting is pretty bad. The dub for the Season 3 and 4 is more faithful and not edited, but the acting is still poor in my opinion. The final season has no dub.

When you are on Hulu watching Sailor Moon, next to the audio there should be a little circle thing. Click it and hit options for Closed Captions, and it'll let you change the subtitle color and font.

You can change the color, size, font, and other settings of the subtitles in the little video menu.

The old official dub is practically a completely different (and very dumbed down) show, at least during the first two seasons. The new dub that'll be available this Fall is supposed to be accurate, though.

That is the original dub you are watching, but it is not really faithful. The first two seasons are DiC, whose dub consists of episodes being edited or just completely skipped. The script is altered and the acting is pretty bad. The dub for the Season 3 and 4 is more faithful and not edited, but the acting is still poor in my opinion. The final season has no dub.

When you are on Hulu watching Sailor Moon, next to the audio there should be a little circle thing. Click it and hit options for Closed Captions, and it'll let you change the subtitle color and font.

Holy crap, I didn't know you could change the color and font on the subtitles. Thank you! As for the dub, sounds pretty bad. I'll stick to the sub.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon R 87
tumblr_mfjz5ayDms1ro8ba4o4_250.png

INCEST! Okay all jokes aside, Wiseman is continuing his trolling by killing of Diamande, another character the audience isn't really invested in. He tries to manipulate Usagi, but fails and the whole gang is here to fight him. A decent set-up for the climax.

Random Gif moment:
tumblr_mfjwxqcUvF1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

Fun Fact: I was born between the release dates of Episode 87 and 88, see if you can guess which exact day it was.

Pluto

Crikes. That does make me feel old.
Me too ... I was born in 1980.

I like the fanart above except for Chibiusa, I don't think I'll ever be a fan. When I hear inner senshi I think of Sailor Moon and her guardians, somehow Chibimoon never felt like she was really part of the group, she was always some kind of guest (who overstayed her welcome) in my mind.

Me too ... I was born in 1980.

I like the fanart above except for Chibiusa, I don't think I'll ever be a fan. When I hear inner senshi I think of Sailor Moon and her guardians, somehow Chibimoon never felt like she was really part of the group, she was always some kind of guest (who overstayed her welcome) in my mind.

late '79 here.. As for Chibiusa, she's ok enough, I always felt she was better in the manga though.

MikeMyers

If you like Usagi there isn't much reason to not like Chibiusa. Give her a chance!

While I like Chibiusa I agree that she felt more like an Outer Senshi more than an Inner because of her connection with Pluto and Saturn.

Starting 88 now. Since 89 is merely a recap/preview, I'll use that to reveal the screentime rankings of the Senshi.

Pluto

If you like Usagi there isn't much reason to not like Chibiusa. Give her a chance!
I've given her more than one chance, I still despise her.
There are many reasons to dislike Chibiusa, Usagi started kind hearted and naive, she had a selfish and mischievous side but that was always good for a laugh. Chibiusa was introduced as a deceptive intruder who hypnotized and manipulated Usagi's family, she was disrespectful, mean and plain annoying, she didn't make me laugh, she made me want to slap her, she was nothing like Usagi! She was introduced in the worst possible way.

She got better during Sailor Moon S and I admit I almost started liking her, especially her friendship with Hotaru but as soon as SuperS started I was back on the hate hate train because it seemed like she was taking over as the main character and I couldn't care less about her constant heart to heart talks with Pegasus.

I don't mind her in the manga, she's not my favourite and her introduction is just as annoying but overall she's handled much better.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon R 88
tumblr_mfpi0phrhF1ro8ba4o1_250.png
tumblr_mfpi0phrhF1ro8ba4o2_250.png
tumblr_mfpi0phrhF1ro8ba4o3_250.png
tumblr_mfpi0phrhF1ro8ba4o4_250.png

Final Episode! The Senshi confront Black Lady, and later Wiseman. While I didn't really care for the Black Lady storyline, I did like the final confrontation with Wiseman. Also, "La Soldier" is an awesome song.

As for the overall season, I like it a lot. It may not be as iconic as the first season, but I like the overall feel that the gang is finally all together. Some people don't like Chibiusa, which is a turn off, but I don't mind her. I probably wont watch S though, since Viz is now putting the first season on Hulu I'll be watching that. I also want to re-read the first arc in the manga before Crystal is released.

Now for the screen time rankings:

BLACK MOON ARC SCREEN TIME RANKINGS:
Episodes
Usagi: 60, 61, 64, 66, 68, 69, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 79*, 82, 84, 86, 87, 88
Chibiusa: 60, 64, 66, 67, 68, 73, 74, 75, 76, 81, 82, 85, 86, 88
Ami: 62, 71, 72, 76, 80, 82, 84, 86, 88
Rei: 63, 70, 72, 76, 82, 84, 86, 88
Makoto: 65, 72, 76, 82, 84, 86, 88
Minako: 65, 72, 76, 78, 79*, 82, 84, 86, 88
Mamoru: 61, 64, 66, 69, 76, 77, 82, 83, 84, 86, 88

Tally:
1.) Usagi: 16.5
2.) Chibiusa: 14
3.) Mamoru: 11
4.) Ami: 9
5.) Minako: 8.5
6.) Rei: 8
7.) Makoto: 7

I know, I should have included the Ali & En arc, but I forgot to keep track there. Well, the asterisk for 79 is because it was mostly about the cats, but I counted it as half a point as Usagi and Minako do get a bit more screen time than everyone else there. For episode where no one is the primary focus and they are all given around similar screentime, I gave it as a point to everyone.

And that's a wrap, folks!

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Pluto: So you got jealous in Supers? That's not really fair as Chibiusa didn't determine how Supers was made. She got good in S and then you saw a reason to dump on her still!

By the way, Chibiusa's self-insertion into Usagi's family is almost certainly a reference to Minky Momo.

MikeMyers

Hey, Hitokage, in the recap episode they show the Usagi head on the bed scared gif and it looks like it comes from when Luna first talks to Usagi.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mike: I saw!

Anyway, Chibiusa's entire character might be one big Minky Momo reference.

- Pink haired
- Come from an actual set of parents to a foster set of parents, obtained by brainwashing in both cases
- Preoccupied with dreams
- Their own dream is to grow up

1994 related.. I just found my encoded copy of Music Station - Super Live '94.... it has a live performance of Ryoko Shinohara's song from the Street Fighter anime movie among other things.

MikeMyers

In addition to being a March birth, the anime debuted on March 7th and Princess Naoko Takeuchi was born on March 15th. The Godfather also came out on March 15th, but now I'm going off topic.

Haven't heard of Minky Momo before, but I do recall seeing clips of a Toku where the girl looked very similar to Sailor V. I think it might have been Brazilian.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Minky Momo is an 80's magical girl show where the girl's main power was to transform into an adult of any desired profession with that skillset. Pretty much what they're doing in HapCha with mirrors taken from Himitsu no Akko-chan (who could transform into anything with her magic mirror).

There was also a second series made in the early 90's with Megumi Hayashibara instead of Mami Koyama as Momo.

Pluto

Pluto: So you got jealous in Supers? That's not really fair as Chibiusa didn't determine how Supers was made.
It's not about fairness, I simply disliked her character and all the focus she got. She's a fictional character, of course she didn't determine anything about the series but that's meaningless when it comes to my enjoymemt of her scenes.

She got good in S and then you saw a reason to dump on her still!
Not still, again because she got bad again.

cj_iwakura

Sailor Moon R 88
tumblr_mfpi0phrhF1ro8ba4o1_250.png
tumblr_mfpi0phrhF1ro8ba4o2_250.png
tumblr_mfpi0phrhF1ro8ba4o3_250.png
tumblr_mfpi0phrhF1ro8ba4o4_250.png

Final Episode! The Senshi confront Black Lady, and later Wiseman. While I didn't really care for the Black Lady storyline, I did like the final confrontation with Wiseman. Also, "La Soldier" is an awesome song.

And yet you show Wiseman no love. :( My favorite villain, because he is pure evil. No attempt at redemption.

MikeMyers

I like Wiseman, but he's not exactly the most photogenic character.

tumblr_mf5a3h96nr1ro8ba4o3_500.png

Have you played Altered Beast for the Sega Mega Drive? I like to pretend that is him saying WISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.

MikeMyers

Hey wait a second, I just watched Episode 6 on Hulu, and Usagi says "You'll Be Punished" instead of "I'll Punish You" that I'm used to seeing. Which one is the correct one?

On a flip note I really like that episode, and it features Usagis coolest look ever:

BojKqmCIAAAcRKJ.png

It also features Norio Wakamoto, voice actor of one my favorite video game characters, M. Bison (I think he's actually called Vega in Japan though). Oh yeah, he was Cell in DBZ too.

BojHu1RIcAAJ155.png

Tomorrow I start my rewatch of PGSM, and re-read of the manga. Really excited to see a new adaptation of the Dark Kingdom storyline.

@cj_iwakura: Perhaps you should make a tribute post to him. ;)

MikeMyers

Sorry to double post so much in this thread, but I did some research on I'll Punish You and You'll Be Punished and I found this. Looks like Viz made a mistake there. I'm not one of those pessimistic fans of this release, but jeez how do you screw up such an iconic line?

Episode 6 is one of my all-time favorite episode, the whole theme is so eerie and dark, feels amazing. Usagi is a lot more mature and smart in the battle than in previous and coming episodes though, but I like it. :)

It's even my favorite dubbed episode in Swedish as well, I hope the new English dub tops it. The waiter scene is awesome in Swedish.

Japanese:
"Have you decided what you would like?"
"Um, a cream soda."
"What!? I'm sorry, we don't have that here."
"Oh, nothing then."

Swedish:
"You may want to order, miss?"
"Oh, um, a milkshake then."
"Uh? I'm sorry, miss, we don't have any milkshake."
"Oh. Too bad, no tip for you."

The waiter's reaction fits better with the Swedish one, lol.

MikeMyers

I can't really decide what my favourite episode of the first season which I find weird since it is easy for the other seasons.

Season 2: The one where the girls join a Snow White Play.
Season 3: The one where Minako tries to prove she has a pure heart
Season 4: The one where Rei has a kid who idolizes her
Season 5: The one where everyone is at Usagi's house

SM: Episode 6 or 46, kinda tied.
R: Episode 86, Safir's death and Petz reacton gives me chills.
S: Don't really have a favorite, the two-part episode with the talismans or ep 125 with Mistress 9 and Pharaoh 90 battles.
SuperS: Episode 149 (Amazon Trio's final) and the finale, episode 166.
Stars: Episode 172, though the sad scene with Usagi and Rei in 195 is the best in all of Stars.

So yeah, can't pick one, lol.

kingkitty

Sorry to double post so much in this thread, but I did some research on I'll Punish You and You'll Be Punished and I found this. Looks like Viz made a mistake there. I'm not one of those pessimistic fans of this release, but jeez how do you screw up such an iconic line?

You should point out this issue on Viz Media's FB page.

MikeMyers

Yeah Viz seems to respond more on Facebook than Twitter.

Nice list King Endymion, do you have a favourite for PGSM? I just got done re-watching up to Rei's debut. Still as enjoyable as ever:

tumblr_mg72vgiZVB1ro8ba4o1_500.png

Best Scene So far: Luna putting Usagi against Ami in a game-show contest. Yeesh, Luna is one meanie to Usagi.

Also, I randomly read the first chapter of the manga as I'm hoping to reread the story before the new anime is out (perhaps you should too, Kdash). Takeuchi does a good job of establishing the characters personalities, especially Usagis. There's also enough action to hook the viewers interest without giving too much away. The major difference between this and the first episode of the anime is Tuxedo Kamen's debut. Although the rose-throwing from the first anime is iconic, I do like how it was portrayed in the manga.

Wait, is Usagi's mother hair purple or blonde? It looks like a saturated-blonde in the manga I have.

Also, I randomly read the first chapter of the manga as I'm hoping to reread the story before the new anime is out (perhaps you should too, Kdash).

I'd have to read something a first time before I can reread it. :p

I really should get around to it, though. Maybe after my air conditioner gets fixed. I don't want to get my manga sweaty!

MikeMyers

Yeah you mentioned the air conditioner before, hope that goes well. Yeah, very protective of my manga too. I guess you could say they're....precious.

I'm currently on break from both college and work so I'm trying to get everyone done while I have free time.

Cheerilee

Wait, is Usagi's mother hair purple or blonde? It looks like a saturated-blonde in the manga I have.

Usagi's mom (Ikuko Tsukino) has blue hair in the anime, and it changes in the manga, depending on Naoko Takeuchi's mood. In colored artbook stuff, sometimes it's pink, sometimes it's blue.

lX1PNgS.jpg

CbMA0Wq.jpg

In the initial color pages of the Kodansha manga, her hair is light brown, distinctly not the same sort of blonde as Usagi (colored in basic yellow on the same page), perhaps the same as Shingo's brown hair, but as you can see above, another page has Shingo with brown and Ikuko with blue, so those two probably don't share a hair color, even when they're both brown. Naoko would probably break out two different shades of brown if it came to that.

MikeMyers

@Cheerilee: Oh wow, informative read. Never noticed the hair color changes until recently. Although I doubt anyone really pays much attention to Usagi's brother and mother.

@King Endymion: Yeah I liked Rei and Minako's relationship in the live-action. They seemed to be like a stand in for the Outers, even if Rei is just acting closer to her manga personality.

@RoryDropkick: Awesome, have fun with that!

Got to Makoto's debut in PGSM, which is the episode that initially made me realize that this series is going to be awesome. This gif that KDash31987 used on the first page is enough of a testimonial.

i3bkVQ1wFcEPz.gif

I also read up Ami's debut in the manga today. The major difference is that they seem to think Ami is an ally straight away here, where as in the anime they were more suspicious. When it's revealed that she has an IQ of 300, they wonder if she is even human. From what I heard, Takeuchi originally wanted Ami to be a robot. Any truth to this?

Top Bottom