• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

So (LTTP) thanks in part to the Viz announcement, watching the new subs on Monday, and a few of my friends talking about it: I decided to watch PGSM from start to finish this week (including the Special, Act Zero, and the mini-Acts) and I've got to say...I loved it. Quickly became one of my favorites.

I wasn't a big Sailor Moon fan, best way you could say I wasn't interested for the most part outside of maybe a casual viewing and possibly being slightly dismissive waaaaay back then (and I'm talking about the days when the dub first aired). In other words it wasn't my cup of tea...Until now, which has my interest and I'm excited for this opportunity to watch the rest of the original anime (might even take a look at the manga, though I'm a little broke at the moment) even if I know it's a bit of a slow start.

So I'm subscribed to this thread and I'm looking forward to seeing Crystal as well.

MikeMyers

Hey there! PGSM is actually my favourite version as well. The production value are somewhat cheap, but I love how strong the characterization was there. They certainly seemed more conflicted there and had enjoyable character arcs, well at least to me.

In terms of the manga and anime, they are kind of polar opposites. The manga is more plot-driven, while the anime is more character-driven. I'd say give both of them a shot. Another thing I'd like to tell you is that the characters personalities may vary per adaption. For example, you'll find Minako is a lot less serious and stubborn in the anime than she was in the live-action.

Hey there! PGSM is actually my favourite version as well. The production value are somewhat cheap, but I love how strong the characterization was there. They certainly seemed more conflicted there and had enjoyable character arcs, well at least to me.

Oh I'm quite aware of Toei's cheapness at times particularly with their CGI (this coming from early 2000s), especially being a fan of Sentai/KR/Toku. Part of why I gave PGSM a shot was because a friend told me the main writer for this version was Yasuko Kobayashi, fresh off her work from Kamen Rider Ryuki, which is also one of my favorite series.

The characterizations and interactions is what sold me and kept me hooked throughout my view of the show. Even if the production values weren't always there, the show's heart was certainly in the right place.

That being said, I actually liked the idea of Luna and Artemis being plushies as any other method would have been weird, though the CGI for them was decent for the most part. They were charming and I felt we got some good comedy moments from them (such as the manager kissing both of them, general shocked moments, and Minako just pranking Artemis whenever she had a present for him)

In terms of the manga and anime, they are kind of polar opposites. The manga is more plot-driven, while the anime is more character-driven. I'd say give both of them a shot. Another thing I'd like to tell you is that the characters personalities may vary per adaption. For example, you'll find Minako is a lot less serious and stubborn in the anime than she was in the live-action.

I'm also aware of this, as I've discussed with my friends about the different versions and did some general research (even peeked at the OP). Right now, I'm sticking with the subbed anime, if I manage to get some income going, I'll look into picking up the manga including Codename Sailor V. I will say that I look forward to seeing
a version of Minako that is more of a team-player (and comedic) throughout the series, rather than just at the end right before dying and the special act. Though her characterization was pretty good considering the changes, I'm a little disappointed she didn't have much interaction with Ami.

Also, I know she was PGSM-exclusive but Princess Sailor Moon kicks ass, she gave no fucks and collateral damage be damned. I really liked the design of her costume.

MikeMyers

Viz Media has announced that they will be putting EP5 and EP6 up on Monday. Episode 6 is one of my favourites, and features Norio Wakamoto, the voice actor for Cell from DBZ and M. Bison in SF. Well, in Japan M. Bison is actually called Vega, but I digress.

Oh I'm quite aware of Toei's cheapness at times particularly with their CGI (this coming from early 2000s), especially being a fan of Sentai/KR/Toku. Part of why I gave PGSM a shot was because a friend told me the main writer for this version was Yasuko Kobayashi, fresh off her work from Kamen Rider Ryuki, which is also one of my favorite series.

Ah okay, looks like you know your Toku! I've seen a few Super Sentais and Kamen Rider here and there, but PGSM is the one that sticks with me the most. Oh, if it counts I also was a big MMPR fan back in the day. Didn't see past Lost Galaxy, except for random episodes like when Johnny Yong Bosch returned.

Speaking of, I wouldn't be surprised if Bosch found his way in the SM Re-Dub one way or another.

The characterizations and interactions is what sold me and kept me hooked throughout my view of the show. Even if the production values weren't always there, the show's heart was certainly in the right place.

Then I'd think you'd like the anime since it has really fun character interaction, especially when Rei debuts in Episode #10.

I'm also aware of this, as I've discussed with my friends about the different versions and did some general research (even peeked at the OP). Right now, I'm sticking with the subbed anime, if I manage to get some income going, I'll look into picking up the manga including Codename Sailor V. I will say that I look forward to seeing
a version of Minako that is more of a team-player (and comedic) throughout the series, rather than just at the end right before dying and the special act. Though her characterization was pretty good considering the changes, I'm a little disappointed she didn't have much interaction with Ami.

What, people actually read the OP? Haha. Yeah Sailor V is a fun comic, it's mostly monster of the week stuff from what I remember.

Also, I know she was PGSM-exclusive but Princess Sailor Moon kicks ass, she gave no fucks and collateral damage be damned. I really liked the design of her costume.

psm_019.jpg

I thought I had a GIF Version of this, but I cannot find it. Kdash, where are you?

o hai yourself ;)

Finally off work, time to watch some Hulu Moon :D

Your avatar makes me happy, KDash

Howdy, caped crusader! We don't see enough of you these day! Too busy fighting crime, I guess?

Have fun! I've still only watched the first episode on Hulu myself. I might watch it later, though I also plan to watch Supernatural, Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure tonight. @_@

I'm happy that it makes you happy! :D

Who's your favorite, by the way? I mostly went with Kimber 'cause she had the cutest fan art of the bunch. Haha. I like them all, though. Except Pizzazz. Her songs are cool, but she is crazy (and has no eyebrows! Universal appeal my ass!).

Syrinx

Viz Media has announced that they will be putting EP5 and EP6 up on Monday. Episode 6 is one of my favourites, and features Norio Wakamoto, the voice actor for Cell from DBZ and M. Bison in SF. Well, in Japan M. Bison is actually called Vega, but I digress.

Just the next two? Thought they were releasing them in increments of four. That's kinda disappointing.

Ah okay, looks like you know your Toku! I've seen a few Super Sentais and Kamen Rider here and there, but PGSM is the one that sticks with me the most. Oh, if it counts I also was a big MMPR fan back in the day. Didn't see past Lost Galaxy, except for random episodes like when Johnny Yong Bosch returned.

You missed some good seasons, and some stinkers...but that's whole other story. Johnny only came back twice, once in the previous season (in Space) and another in the Disney era (Operation Overdrive's Once a Ranger 2 parter).

Speaking of, I wouldn't be surprised if Bosch found his way in the SM Re-Dub one way or another.

Neither would I, odds are that they'll probably make him Tuxedo Mask.

Ugh. Well I've been a beggar for this for a long long time so I guess I can't be too stingy about their release schedule .But it's still a tad disappointing. Maybe they'll mix doing four and two and whatever else between weeks.

Yea, the whole 4 episodes was just to start, It'll be consistent at least...though maybe if it does well enough, Viz might increase their output?

MikeMyers

You missed some good seasons, and some stinkers...but that's whole other story. Johnny only came back twice, once in the previous season (in Space) and another in the Disney era (Operation Overdrive's Once a Ranger 2 parter).
Really? I could have sworn there was at least one more. I do remember watching one where every Red Ranger (except Rocky, who was my favourite) teamed up, and one where a much older Tommy was confronted by his older Ranger forms. I heard they are rebooting MMPR in a movie or something.

Neither would I, odds are that they'll probably make him Tuxedo Mask.
Viz is running out of Bleach episodes to dub (where he plays the lead), so imagine they'll give him a role in SM to make up for it.

Yea, the whole 4 episodes was just to start, It'll be consistent at least...though maybe if it does well enough, Viz might increase their output?

Hmm, it looks like it'll take 21 weeks to do all of Season 1 if they 2 a week now. I'm just mostly concerned about the home release, that's what I want.

Conan-san

Really as long as Laura Bailey gets one more swing as Shin Chan from that one S episode this whole endeavour will be worth it.

Actually if were talling voice speculation, Todd Haberkorn as Umimo, Kyle Hebert as Tomoe.

I kinda want Laira Jill Miller as ChibiUsa but one wonders she still does va work.

MikeMyers

Miller's last voice acting credit was doing some voices in a FFXIII game released last year.

Those are some good choices. Heh, I wonder if FUNimation did get the voices, everybody except the main character would be would voiced by Christopher Sabat in his "voices."

MikeMyers

Everyone will sing about how cat loves food, yeah yeah yeah.

Laura Bailey is awesome, I agree. I'm pretty sure she's worked with Viz before. What about Cristina Valenzuela? I'm pretty sure she is an associate of Johnny Yong Bosch.

EDIT: Speaking of Digimon, you know Adventure had the same composer as original 1992 anime? I didn't know that until recently, where I heard Stars music in an episode of Adventure 02.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon R 85
tumblr_mf91opF2Sq1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

Wiseman playing up his tricks again, this time manipulated Chibiusa against the Senshi and turns her into Black Lady. Everyone should have celebrated Chibiusa's birthday, damnit!

I guess I'm gonna gather criticisms for saying this but does anyone else find this to be somewhat of a retread of Mamoru turning evil in the first season? Even the whole "Usagi comes to the verge purifying Chibiusa until the villain interferes" felt similar to what happened in Episode 41.

I think with a lot of the concerns I don't get overly nitpicky, primarily since when I first watched the show it was off of 2nd-3rd generation tapes either recorded off of Japanese television as they aired, or through fansubs.. I was getting them at the same time I was getting tokusatsu shows sent from my penpal back in the 90s. So any quality better than that has been really nice.

It only really makes a difference to me when they blatantly screw up, like Funi.

Midonin

So it's just Crunchyroll? I heard it was also on Hulu and Viz's own website.
It's on Hulu/Viz, NicoVideo and Crunchyroll. Multiple website simulcasting is extremely common. Like this season's Mekaku City Actors, which goes live on Hulu, Crunchyroll and Daisuki at the same time.

MikeMyers

No idea, but I have a Hulu Plus subscription.

Also, since Hulu is streaming bout Classic & Crystal around the same time. We should probably call the 1992 Dark Kingdom Storyline "Sailor Moon Classic" and the 2014 Dark Kingdom Storyline "Sailor Moon Crystal" to avoid confusion.

Pluto

I really hope Crystal will be on regular hulu, not hulu plus. It will make my life much easier if I don't have to try to navigate nicovideo, if I have to I hope someone puts up a tutorial.

MikeMyers

I'm pretty sure there's a RoboCop reference in Stars.

Also, I think they played Street Fighter at one point?

There's an episode of Stars where they go to meet Rei's cousin and the Starlights are filming some Super Sentai-type film and there is some Texas Chainsaw Massacre-type monster in it.

The RoboCop reference was in episode 9 of the first season.

It wasn't Street Fighter they were playing in episode 191, but some spoof of a bunch of fighting games mixed together. The look of the character select screen was straight out of Street Fighter Alpha 2, though. Ken is also obviously in there. Most of the game was based on Fighting Vipers, though. Most, if not all, of the stages are practically ripped straight from it, and two of the characters resemble Honey/Candy and Raxel. The rest of the characters are fairly generic.

People who are also into the fighting game scene might enjoy this video based on that episode.

183 is the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" one, by the way.

MikeMyers

As someone who plays fighting games, that was awesome. Also, episode 183 is indeed the Texas Chainsaw Massacre episode:

iKuoS8BuSGNBq.png

Also, we get the Starlights as Super Sentai.

itdLsFu1fyP77.png

On a flip note, Episode 89 is just a recap right? That means I'm closer to being done than I thought.

MikeMyers

SAILOR MOON CLASSIC EPISODE 5 AND 6 NOW ON HULU

Now that we got that out of the way, almost done with R:

Sailor Moon R 86
tumblr_mfcz1rRMQF1ro8ba4o1_500.png

"Can't have Serenity? I'll have her daughter"
Wiseman's mind game continues with his next target being Saphir, who meets his demise here. We even see the Four Phantom Sisters return in this episode, as Petz apparently loved Saphir. While its interesting to see a villain centric episode, it didn't really come off as emotional since we weren't really as invested in Saphir. Speaking of which, since this episode focused on the baddies mostly, I don't know who to count it for in my "most appearances list" but I guess I'll just count it for everyone since it was equal here.

Some GIFs from this episode:
tumblr_mfd03hlxbm1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

tumblr_mfdczn7aAd1ro8ba4o1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_mfdeohC4d21ro8ba4o1_400.gif

Also, for you Rei/Usagi shippers out there. :p

SAILOR MOON CLASSIC EPISODE 5 AND 6 NOW ON HULU

Yup. I wonder if they'll keep updating their front page every time? Hah.

I still haven't watched any more on Hulu. Heh.

As someone who plays fighting games, that was awesome. Also, episode 183 is indeed the Texas Chainsaw Massacre episode:

Well, yeah. I know everything! ;)

On a flip note, Episode 89 is just a recap right? That means I'm closer to being done than I thought.

A recap and a preview!

Hopefully, the show deserves it.

Yup. Plus it's nice to see Sailor Moon show up as the first thing on Hulu every Monday. It brings a smile to my face. :)

I'm currently off until June 16th, so I have lots of free time now.

I'm pretty much always free, but I'm lazy. :(

The air conditioner upstairs being broken and the incredible heat up here have largely kept me offline outside of my phone sometimes, too, so that doesn't help. I pretty much only use my computer during the late night/early morning, as it's the only time it's tolerable to be up here. I really wish I had a fully working laptop again...or better yet, air conditioning! Someone's supposed to come check it on Tuesday or Wednesday, and hopefully it's get fixed shortly after.

Even the manga? ;)

That's a low blow. :'(

Sad to say I've watched very little Sailor Moon in my life. I never caught the series' beginning on Toonami as a kid, but really wanted to get into it. Really excited that this is getting a new dub and looking forward to watching this soon!

MikeMyers

Sad to say I've watched very little Sailor Moon in my life. I never caught the series' beginning on Toonami as a kid, but really wanted to get into it. Really excited that this is getting a new dub and looking forward to watching this soon!

The original anime is on Hulu, they put new episodes every Monday.

Yup. Plus it's nice to see Sailor Moon show up as the first thing on Hulu every Monday. It brings a smile to my face. :)

I'm pretty much always free, but I'm lazy. :(

The air conditioner upstairs being broken and the incredible heat up here have largely kept me offline outside of my phone sometimes, too, so that doesn't help. I pretty much only use my computer during the late night/early morning, as it's the only time it's tolerable to be up here. I really wish I had a fully working laptop again...or better yet, air conditioning! Someone's supposed to come check it on Tuesday or Wednesday, and hopefully it's get fixed shortly after.

That's a low blow. :'(

Sorry about the Air Conditioner, and I was expecting a Gif response to that low blow for some reason. How about the one where she has her head on the bed and looks scared?

Link don't work. :/

It worked for me, but then I tried it in another browser and it didn't show up. It's been on my Minus account for weeks. Heh.

I uploaded it to Imgur now. I guess that Minus is having problems or going through maintenance or something. I tried uploading some fan art to post here earlier, but it kept saying "This file does not exist or is not available!" every time it finished uploading. Heh.

I prefer to use Minus because it's not extremely limited in space like Imgur. Imgur's upload size limits are almost as disgusting as Tumblr's. Imgur also compresses stuff heavily...while Minus does not.

Thanks! Those are in Japanese, correct? I was waiting for the dub, but may start watching subbed soon (if new dub is unavailable), because... I really need to get on that!

Yup, just Japanese with subtitles for now. They're still recording the dub right now. It should be up on Hulu some time this Fall.

MikeMyers

Top Bottom