• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Bishoujo.Senshi.Sailor.Moon.600.1029001.jpg

"Hosted on zerochan.net Use the share links provided instead!"

That's why I never direct link to images. :/

That sucks, but I believe you that the meme is yours!

Thanks~ :3

Can't you just use Preview Post to check beforehand?

His browser cache probably made him think that it worked. It happens all of the time. I always upload images elsewhere (Imgur, Minus, etcetera) before posting them, so I know that they should work, and I don't steal someone else's bandwidth.

Cheerilee

Wonder why Jadiete never got the chance to interact with the other Devas in the anime?

Standard threat escalation. You've got Beryl sitting on her butt ruling some sort of useless zombie population, and Jadeite is set up as the most direct threat but he's mostly throwing even lesser threats at our group of heroes.

Heroes win one. They work their way up, and Jadeite is defeated. Life should get easier for our heroes. But no, it turns out Jadeite was useless and easily replaced with someone even stronger.

The anime producers can't pull that trick twice. If Nephrite is simply defeated next, there will be no surprise when he's easily replaced. That means the show can go deeper and show the infighting in the enemy camp, and use it as story material. If they had showed the infighting earlier, it would have undermined the "victory" of Jadeite's defeat, and spoiled the reveal that the battle wasn't nearly over.

MikeMyers

So what you are trying to say is:

Jadiete = Raditz
Nephrite = Nappa
Zoisite = Dodoria
Kunzite = Zarbon
Endymion = Vegeta
D-Girls = Ginyu Force
Queen Beryl = Freeza

Well, all jokes aside, I felt like PGSM did a good job of establishing him as part of the team and making him look lower in status to the others. Wasn't really a fan of the actor who played him though.

MikeMyers

I'll have to look into that

I'm still curious to how the covers will be handled for the Viz releases. If they do go in order, then Mirchiru and Haruka will appear on the cover of SuperS, a season they weren't even in!

Garcia

I just watched SM:Crystal's trailer. Amazing that they're staying loyal to the manga character design! It would just be perfect had it returned in celluloid rather than digital, though I suppose I'm asking too much since digital is the new trend, right?

We're getting close to its release.

Bladenic

Sailor Moon 12

Looking for love in all the wrong places.

Some problems with the subs in this episode. 3-4 lines that were untranslated as far as I could tell.

Yeah I noticed that too.

Jadeite looks a lot like Mamoru in that pic you posted haha, maybe that's why Usagi wants him so badly.

MikeMyers

Just out of curiosity, how do I pronounce Kunihiko Ikuhara's name correctly?

Usagi and Rei sure argue a lot.

Haha yeah, you'll see.

Wish they would upgrade from 2 episodes a week to 4. It's gonna be forever before they're all up.

Yeah, I wonder when the Bluray releases are? I think sometime in the fall.

Good...good...

i3EdZPwVoA7wY.gif

Dark Mercury! She was awesome, but it felt like the writers didn't know what to do with her. She kind of just appeared, then disappeared, and then came back to end that arc.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Just out of curiosity, how do I pronounce Kunihiko Ikuhara's name correctly?
First rule of Japanese pronunciation is that all syllables have equal emphasis and all five vowels are said the same.

Ku-ni-hi-ko I-ku-ha-ra

(Koo-nee-hee-koh Ee-koo-hah-rah)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Usagi chewing out Mamoru on the train is so much more cutting in the Japanese version. The dub made it a weak "well you're a dork!"

Pluto

Went ahead and ordered the Mercury S.H. Figurart.
Good choice. :)

I watched the second episode of Jem (yeah, I'm slow, I blame my job), how many crimes have the misfits commited so far? It's getting almost ridiculous but I guess that'y why the term cartoon villain exists. Despite all the ridiculousness I like them, although it was kinda low even for them to demand that the homeless orphans are not allowed to live in the mansion temporarily.

Not a fan of the honor jar plot, the blonde girl who tried to steal has to put $30 in as punishment, fine. But then she risks her life to save the jar and those bitches still demand 30 bucks from her? Cut her some slack, as stupid as running into a burning house is, she had a point, without her actions there would be no jar and no money at all, so technically she's responsible for every single cent they have.

The second R DVD set is released here at the end of the month and Black Lady is on the cover, great choice. The villains don't get enough attention and Black Lady was the only version of Chibiusa i genuinely enjoyed.

MikeMyers

First rule of Japanese pronunciation is that all syllables have equal emphasis and all five vowels are said the same.

Ku-ni-hi-ko I-ku-ha-ra

(Koo-nee-hee-koh Ee-koo-hah-rah)

Yeah, that's what I thought, thanks. After I get done with PGSM I'll watch Utena. Speaking of PGSM, I just got to Dark Mercury that I was talking about earlier lol.

They do, lol.

It's been YEARS since I've watched these. And I've never seen in Japanese before. They should upload more than 2 at a time. :/

Yeah, it's like a completely different show haha.

The second R DVD set is released here at the end of the month and Black Lady is on the cover, great choice. The villains don't get enough attention and Black Lady was the only version of Chibiusa i genuinely enjoyed.

Really? I don't mind Chibiusa but I was really disengaged with Black Lady, because I found it mostly a retread of Evil King Endymion in the first season.

Pluto

Really? I don't mind Chibiusa but I was really disengaged with Black Lady, because I found it mostly a retread of Evil King Endymion in the first season.
While it was similar I thought Black Lady was evil Endymion done right. Instead of dark energy = evil Endymion we saw how Chibiusa was influenced, how her memories of her parents were twisted and manipulated, it made her attacks on Sailor Moon much more personal, she wanted revenge.

I watched the second episode of Jem (yeah, I'm slow, I blame my job), how many crimes have the misfits commited so far? It's getting almost ridiculous but I guess that'y why the term cartoon villain exists. Despite all the ridiculousness I like them, although it was kinda low even for them to demand that the homeless orphans are not allowed to live in the mansion temporarily.

Not a fan of the honor jar plot, the blonde girl who tried to steal has to put $30 in as punishment, fine. But then she risks her life to save the jar and those bitches still demand 30 bucks from her? Cut her some slack, as stupid as running into a burning house is, she had a point, without her actions there would be no jar and no money at all, so technically she's responsible for every single cent they have.

I was wondering about this! Haha.

The Misfits (or at least Pizzazz, anyway) may actually get crazier, by the way. But then they sorta calm down a bit later on and commit less crimes after the first season. They're barely in the last season, though. I don't think they did anything illegal in that one, but I'm not sure.

I forgot all about the honor jar thing. Heh. Ashley's her name, by the way. I sorta forget that she's there, along with the other orphan girls. They're mostly just there after the first few episodes. There are a few episodes that focus on them, though, but very few...I think. I marathoned the whole series in like a week, so I might be forgetting some things.

Oh, yeah, and since I mentioned that the animation quality changes a lot after the first five episodes, I figured I'd post an example of the difference. Here's the first Misfits song in the first episode, and here's their first song in episode 6. Big difference, huh? Getting upgraded from a series of shorts to full series status really helped a lot. Hah.
Though, there are a few episodes that weren't done by Toei (11 or so, I think) that have a noticeably different artstyle, and look more like some old Scooby-Doo episodes or something...hell, one of them even has similar running away from something animation! I think most of those are in the second season. I have no idea what the other studio is, though, but I did read that it was a Korean one...but some think it was another section of Toei. No one knows for sure, since they were never credited.

Here's another Misfits video just because I really like the animation in it.

Oh, the person who uploaded those videos posted a very nice review of the series on Amazon. Worth a read for those interested in the series.

I've been really tempted to order the complete series on DVD. I wanna rewatch it all already. Hah.
I'm also tempted to buy the new dolls from Integrity Toys, and I don't know why! :/

Anyway, maybe I'll finally start work on that '80s cartoon thread I mentioned before. It'd certainly be a more appropriate place for this conversation. I'm still not sure if it should just be '80s or also include the '90s, too.

This one?

Oh, yeah, my air conditioner finally got fixed yesterday after being broken for 9 or so months, so now it's quite cool and comfortable around here, so I might continue reading the Sailor Moon manga soon! Maybe even today! Maybe!

Also, here's another Princess Sailor Moon piece from Marco Albiero. I think this one is better, since the other one was too "happy" to match the Princess.

Oh, and since I posted about both Jem and Marco Albiero in this post...he did a Jem "style guide" that he's been slowly posting to his Facebook page. He posts like a page a day. He also posts like one Sailor Moon image a day, too. Occasionally he'll post Saint Saiya art or something else, too.

Ayumi

Mercury Figuart came today. Pretty nice. Didn't do much with it yet other than attach the visor though.

Got any cute/cool stuff to pose her with? Would love to see it.

I actually never unboxed my Mercury, because I have no idea where to put her.
Put these in the living room though, they look so adorable together.

BDmELXY.png

I posed my Sailor Moon figure with Batman for a silly Valentine's Day picture. Does that count as cute?

Edit: I started writing down a list of '80s and '90s shows for that possible community thread. Gotta figure out if I should limit mine to just the '80s (since that was my original idea), include the '90s in there too, or let someone else make a separate '90s one. I also gotta figure out how the heck I'd go about writing the opening post, because there'd be an insane amount of shows to cover in a post either way I'd go.

MikeMyers

Viz reveals what they have in store for Anime Expo

Saturday, July 5th, 10:00am SAILOR MOON OFFICIAL PANEL
Room LP1 (Petree Hall)
Join Charlene Ingram, VIZ Media’s Senior Manager, Animation Marketing, and Joshua Lopez, Associate Producer, for the exclusive world premiere of the all-new, uncut English language premiere of the legendary anime series, SAILOR MOON! The session also will introduce the cast and screen the entire first two dubbed episodes of the newly re-mastered anime series. Immediately following the premiere, there will be a very special Q & A session with the animation team and the cast and a special premium poster for attendees, while supplies last!

Saturday, July 5th, 1:00pm SAILOR MOON CAST AUTOGRAPH SESSION
Anime Expo Autograph Area
Stop by the VIZ Media booth and pick up your very own SAILOR MOON full-color poster, personally signed by the new Official English voice cast!

Saturday, July 5th, 2:45pm SAILOR MOON CAST PHOTO OPPORTUNITY
VIZ Media Booth #1601
Fans can take photos of the talented new Official English voice cast for SAILOR MOON with the Sailor Guardian cosplayers from American Cosplay Paradise in a special session!

Saturday, July 5th, 3:30pm SAILOR MOON Cosplay Gathering
Room LP1 (Petree Hall)
Bring your Sailor Guardian finest and be a part of North America’s largest SAILOR MOON cosplay and fan gathering!

I think the old English Cast was planning on going before Viz even licensed the series, but I can't say I'm really a big fan of the old dub. I'd love to meet the original voice actors and the PGSM cast though.

Ayumi

^ Never watched the dub, but I'm happy for the fans going to Anime Expo.

@KDash31987 - I bet Usagi only likes him because he has a robe!

MikeMyers

While it was similar I thought Black Lady was evil Endymion done right. Instead of dark energy = evil Endymion we saw how Chibiusa was influenced, how her memories of her parents were twisted and manipulated, it made her attacks on Sailor Moon much more personal, she wanted revenge.

Speaking of which, I just got to Dark Mercury in PGSM. Is a Senshi turning bad something that is in like every version?

Mercury Figuart came today. Pretty nice. Didn't do much with it yet other than attach the visor though.

Very cool, any pictures?

Aha, that's cute!

I posed my Sailor Moon figure with Batman for a silly Valentine's Day picture. Does that count as cute?

Speaking of which, apparently the Batman comics even had a Sailor Mars reference once.

^ Never watched the dub

Probably for the best.

It's a little bit weird that they're using the cast as a draw without anyone knowing who they are. I wouldn't make time on my schedule to meet people I have never heard in their roles.

I don't care about the new japanese cast either at this point and we at least know who they are, it's just too early in my opinion.

Yeah I'm gonna check out the Viz dub out of curiosity but that is it. The original actors will be what I associate the characters with. As for Crystal, it's gonna be weird hearing old Usagi interact with a bunch of new voices but we shall see. I was mostly dissapointed at the lack of Amuro Ray, but then again, we were fine with Jouji Shibue, right?

Looks good and I'm glad that the orphans don't get much focus later on, I'm not a fan so far. The rivalry between the Holograms and the Misfits seems to have more potential and they have catchy (and kinda cheesy) 80s songs.

They still get some episodes, but yeah, they don't get much focus after the first parts of the story are done. Mostly it's just one girl, Ba Nee, who gets attention later on. She gets at least two episodes focusing on her.

You haven't even heard some of the best songs yet, I think. :)

@KDash31987 - I bet Usagi only likes him because he has a robe!

Robes and capes are sexy, yo. I should get one. Hah.

Speaking of which, apparently the Batman comics even had a Sailor Mars reference once.

Yup: http://sailormoonnews.com/2012/12/28/did-batman-read-sailor-moon/

P.S. Hooray for NeoGAF working again!

Oh, yeah, I saw a Buffy thread here, Mike. Figured you might be interested. Not sure if you saw it before.

MikeMyers

I checked that Buffy thread, very cool.

On PGSM 22. I love how despite being evil, Ami is still obsessively into her school work. She even brain washes the entire school against Usagi. Wonder how she pulled that off? Magic, or just flat out manipulation?

Ayumi

If you guys enjoy Sailor Moon fanart as much as I do, there's a lot of them being RTed by Sketch Dailies (international art community) on Twitter today! They do different themes every day where artists can tweet art at them, and today is Sailor Moon day~

I'd link a few in here but I don't wanna unintentionally break any rules so I try to be careful with posting media on NeoGAF.

I saw some Facebook fanpage mention that earlier, but I didn't look into it. Here's their Twitter page, and their official site

Some cool stuff in there. And there's a TON of images, too. I keep scrolling, but they won't stop! I think I saw some of them months ago, though.

I like that Jem is on their Twitter header image. ♥

Ayumi

Omg, I can't view that video from Japan? How ironic is that? MAKE IT PLAY OR GIVE US OUR ANIME BACK. :mad:

Now I have to resort to downloading it to view, but at least that will work.. Does it have anything worth seeing, like new animation scenes?

Edit: "New" meaning new aside from the first trailer.

Top Bottom