• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Omg, I can't view that video from Japan? How ironic is that? MAKE IT PLAY OR GIVE US OUR ANIME BACK. :mad:

Now I have to resort to downloading it to view, but at least that will work.. Does it have anything worth seeing, like new animation scenes?

It's the same as the Japanese trailer, but with English text and subtitles.

Sailor Moon Crystal now has a page on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/sailor-moon-crystal

Just the trailer for now, of course...

iwMRIUO.jpg

Based on Naoko Takeuchi’s legendary manga series, Sailor Moon Crystal retells the story of Sailor Moon as she searches for her fellow Sailor Guardians and the Legendary Silver Crystal to stop the dark forces of Queen Beryl.

MikeMyers

PGSM 24: Minako tricks Rei into singing Karaoke for a bunch of kids. Do you guys think she did a good job?

Also, I checked out a few episodes of Saint Seiya. Seiya, voiced by Mamoru, serves Athena, voiced by Queen Beryl. My head canon is that this is actually a universe where Queen Beryl succeeded and got what she wanted.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sakura Fubuki is basically the best vocal song from PGSM, followed by Promise. However, PGSM music is clearly a step down from the old anime in general when it comes to this, even considering that vocal songs didn't really become good until the Mirai e Mukatte album for Sailor Moon R.

MikeMyers

Sakura Fubuki is basically the best vocal song from PGSM, followed by Promise. However, PGSM music is clearly a step down from the old anime in general when it comes to this, even considering that vocal songs didn't really become good until the Mirai e Mukatte album for Sailor Moon R.

Yeah, I agree that the anime songs were much better, but I like "Sakura Fubuki" quite a bit.

Also, someone asked me today about the Sailor Moon Crystal OT, so I claimed it. Anyone can help if they want to, well maybe not cj iwakura. :p

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I agree that the anime songs were much better, but I like "Sakura Fubuki" quite a bit.

Also, someone asked me today about the Sailor Moon Crystal OT, so I claimed it. Anyone can help if they want to, well maybe not cj iwakura. :p

I'm allowed to help, I just can't do the entire thing without someone else being involved. I helped on the Drakengard 3 OT.

So I'd like to if I could.

Syrinx

I would help, but I really don't know what I could contribute. I can't do banners or fancy graphics or anything like that.

MikeMyers

I guess we can use this picture for the main page?

A who / what / when / why / how description paragraph:

Who - 2014 anime by Toei adapted from manga
What - the plot
When - Biweekly Saturday
Why - Aim is to be accurate to the manga
How - watch on Hulu/Crunchyroll.

Then a list of cast/crew.

That work?

I guess we can use this picture for the main page?

You'd obviously want to get a much higher quality image than that. Hah.

Anyway, I guess that the rest is fine, yeah...though I'm not entirely sure what the guidelines for official threads are. Or how anything on NeoGAF would be "official." But, yeah! Sounds good.

MikeMyers

Yeah we need a better version of that picture.

For the cast/crew - I guess we can add director, composer, voice actors. Anything else we need to note?

Also a policy that manga events should be spoiler tagged as some haven't read the manga.

Yeah we need a better version of that picture.

For the cast/crew - I guess we can add director, composer, voice actors. Anything else we need to note?

Also a policy that manga events should be spoiler tagged as some haven't read the manga.

I've posted two much better versions, so that won't be hard. Hah.

Yeah, cast and crew should definitely be in there. And spoiler tags, too, for lazy manga readers like me. Hah.

Ayumi

I've posted two much better versions, so that won't be hard. Hah.

Yeah, cast and crew should definitely be in there. And spoiler tags, too, for lazy manga readers like me. Hah.

Is there a dimension limit for images posted on the forums, or do you always put them in quotes, so the size doesn't matter anyway?

I really love these two.. I think they both deserve a spot on the first post.
(I know they were posted earlier, just quoting so we don't miss it.)

Is there a dimension limit for images posted on the forums, or do you always put them in quotes, so the size doesn't matter anyway?

I think the quotes are more so that people don't keep quoting images over and over again.

Anyway, here's something I made real quick:

Thinking about changing the "Official Thread" font, but I'm not sure yet.

MikeMyers

I like it.

So here is the cast list. I guess we can add voice actors, director, and composer? Not sure if anyone cares about the rest being listed.

Also we need a subtitle, like how this threads is "Now licensed by Viz Media"

MikeMyers

That works.

Wait, isn't Japan actually a day ahead? So would it be best to post the thread on July 3rd?

Cast & Crew
Company: Toei Animation
Director: Munehisa Sakai
Composer: Yasuharu Takanashi
Kotono Mitsuishi as Usagi Tsukino
Hisako Kanemoto as Ami Mizuno
Rina Satou as Rei Hino
Ami Koshimizu as Makoto Kino
Shizuka Itou as Minako Ain
Kenji Nojima as Mamoru Chiba
Ryou Hirohashi as Luna the Cat
Source: Anime News Network

Anything else to add on? I plan on doing a paragraph on this, but I need to know if anything else should be listed.

Ayumi

Wouldn't it be better to focus on the fact that it's a reboot inspired by the old manga, instead of writing it's not a remake from the old anime?
If you add "Not an anime remake", then people might just question what it is. If you actually add the fact directly with the proper keywords related to the manga reboot, then the answer is right there.

Also, I just saw this on Viz Media's Twitter, and their website!
Put the first one in quotes since the resolution is large. [1600x600]

nN5dRPA.jpg

Zoe

Wouldn't it be better to focus on the fact that it's a reboot inspired by the old manga, instead of writing it's not a remake from the old anime?
If you add "Not an anime remake", then people might just question what it is. If you actually add the fact directly with the proper keywords related to the manga reboot, then the answer is right there.

We've tried that approach before...

MikeMyers

No need to apologize, it's all cool.

There's gonna be a description in the first post covering what Crystal is about, so it shouldn't be too confusing unless people don't read the opening post...which is very likely. Oh well, we shall see what happens.

Hulu uploading two new episodes and I really like that banner picture they have now, anyone got an image of that without the text over it? Also, is it me or do the subtitles move way too fast on these Hulu videos?

Did you know that you can actually buy official wallscrolls of both of those images?

Sailor Senshi on top of a building, everyone and Tuxedo Mask in front of the Moon Kingdom. And here's a bunch more.

As usual with any recent official merchandise, they all feature art by Marco Albiero. He's one busy dude.

Oh, yeah, he recently posted these on his page:

He should be posting Zoicite and Kunzite soon.

I've been uploading a lot of his art to a Minus album, if anyone is interested.

Pluto

Marco Albiero is a genius.
He can draw but all his Sailor Moon and Jem stuff is in the style established by other people, there's zero creativity on his part, I don't think he's a genius unless he's hiding some great original pieces.

That doesn't mean his pieces aren't pretty or that he doesn't have technical skills but many people can do what he does, it's nothing special.

He can draw but all his Sailor Moon and Jem stuff is in the style established by other people, there's zero creativity on his part, I don't think he's a genius unless he's hiding some great original pieces.

That doesn't mean his pieces aren't pretty or that he doesn't have technical skills but many people can do what he does, it's nothing special.

He's really good at copying styles, yeah. Most of what he does is that, since it's his job. There is some original work on his website, though, such as this Italian flag girl:

Sailor Moon 14

A new enemy races onto the scene.

Usagi have problems fighting a monster, but gets rescued by Tuxedo Mask not only once, but twice here. And Tuxedo Mask suddenly experience some kind of problem too.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| Not a remake of the original anime
Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| Not the same anime. Not the same content.
Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| Moon Prism Power...Make Up!

Note: As this adaptation aims to be closer to the mangas storyline, please spoiler tag any major manga events. Major events from other series, such as the original anime, are fair game (Is it possible to get this in Red Text?)

Flh2oCL.png

Sailor Moon Crystal is a 2014 Anime made by Toei Animation, that is adapted from the 1992 manga Sailor Moon by Naoko Takeuchi. The series follows the adventures of Usagi Tsukino, a clumsy crybaby who battles the forces of evil while gaining a group of comrades during her journey. The main difference between this series and the original 1992 cartoon is that Sailor Moon Crystal aims to be closer to mangas storyline, while the original anime did its own thing. The series will air biweekly starting from July 5th, and will be available to legally watch on websites such as Crunchyroll and Hulu.

haQZpne.png

Cast & Crew
Company: Toei Animation
Director: Munehisa Sakai
Composer: Yasuharu Takanashi
Kotono Mitsuishi as Usagi Tsukino
Hisako Kanemoto as Ami Mizuno
Rina Satou as Rei Hino
Ami Koshimizu as Makoto Kino
Shizuka Itou as Minako Aino
Kenji Nojima as Mamoru Chiba
Ryou Hirohashi as Luna the Cat
Source: Anime News Network

With the exception of Usagi Tsukino, every character has received a recast. A lot of people (including me) were upset that Toru Furuya and Keiko Han did not return to reprise their roles as Yamcha Mamoru and Luna, but lets give the new voice actors a chance. Remember, the characters personality vary per adaptation, so perhaps the recasts are for the best. Our composer is Yasuharu Takanashi (Naruto Shippuden) and director is Munehisa Sakai (Suite Precure).

Also, feel free to visit the Sailor Moon Community Thread to talk about the franchise in general.

That work?

It seems a bit...short? Maybe I'm just used to reading official threads for video games, which can be pretty long sometimes. Hah.

Anyway, maybe add a characters section and/or a short story synopsis? I feel like the crybaby who battles evil with her friends is too short. Also, maybe space things out a bit more?

Also, I'm not sure if that...Trollei?...thing belongs there. It seems really out of place.

Oh, and make sure to credit any contributors!

MikeMyers

Someone suggested "Biweekly Anime Adaptation of the Original Manga" - thoughts?

Also, we should probably do more cast credits for the new VA's. Does anyone know career highlights for these girls?

Maybe use a regular Toei image there? I thought it would benefit from having some form of image there.

Oh yeah, we'll all be credited. :)

MikeMyers

I guess a character profiles section could work. Make sure we all keep the characterization description similar to the manga counterparts, as that will probably be the more accurate one. I'll probably rewrite a lot of the contributions, but it will stay in tone.

We still don't have any info on the villains, heck, we don't even have a voice actor for Artemis yet!

EDIT: Also I need a plot description that doesn't really spoil things.

MikeMyers

Frame of reference:

Kotono Mitsuishi = Sailor Moon (old anime), Misato Katsuragi (Evangelion), Boa Hancock (One Piece)
Hisako Kanemoto = Ika Musume (Squid Girl), Yayoi/Cure Peace (Smile Precure), Amy (Gargantia)
Rina Satou = Mikoto Misaka (Index/Railgun), Kiyoh (Gurren Lagann), Punie (Punie-chan)
Ami Koshimizu = Ryuuko (KLK), Holo (Spice and Wolf), Kallen (Code Geass), Nadja (Ashita no Nadja), Hibiki/Cure Melody (Suite PreC)
Shizuka Itou = Himawari (xxxHOLiC), Wilhelmina (Shakugan no Shana), Darry (Gurren Lagann), Tamaki (Aquapazza game)
Kenji Nojima = Fumito (Blood-C), Keisaku (Shakugan no Shana), Pell (One Piece), Tohno Shiki (Melty Blood game)
Ryou Hirohashi = Chane (Baccano), Saya (Seirei no Moribito), Rakka (Haibane Remmei)
Art directors Takashi Kurahashi, Yumi Hosaka = Gatchaman Crowds, Tsuritama

I found this clip from High School DxD that apparently features the new Mamoru. He sounds like Furuya, I guess.

Ayumi

"Biweekly Anime Adaptation of the Original Manga" sounds good, but consider the facts, wouldn't it be better with:

"Biweekly Anime Reboot of the Original Manga"

Just a suggestion, don't kill me!

Someone said the intro looks a bit short. How about putting some humour into it with a few more images? Nothing too bad, nothing too much.

What I was thinking, is maybe a funny written synopsis (although nothing that comes off as ~there are trolls in this thread~ kinda type, if you know what I mean.

And how about a resized merged character design/concept art as an horizontal image?

Pluto

Note: As this adaptation aims to be closer to the mangas storyline, please spoiler tag any major manga events. Major events from other series, such as the original anime, are fair game (Is it possible to get this in Red Text?)
I think spoilers from all version should be spoiler tagged or nothing at all, Usagi being the moon princess, Mamoru turning evil and the heroes being killed and revived at the end of the Dark Kingdom arc happens in both the manga and the anime for example, what's the point if we spoiler tag it as manga information and then blurt it out when talking about the original anime?
On the other hand, talking about Mercury turning evil in PGSM could easily spoil that she doesn't in the manga.

If we want a spoiler free environment I would prefer a "pretend other versions don't exist" thread dor Crystal, the community thread can still be used for comparisons and franchise discussion.

Zoe

I don't know, there are always going to be points that are constant. Mamoru is Tuxedo Mask. Usagi is the Princess. Chibi-Usa is their daughter.

But is a non-manga reader going to know that
Mamoru figures out Sailor Moon's identity in the third chapter
? That
all of the generals die gruesome deaths
? Or how about
Usagi committing suicide after killing Mamoru
?

Bladenic

I kind of think everything should be spoiled. Could be lots of people watching the show as their first exposure to Sailor Moon, and you don't know what the creators may keep the same or change. And moreover, some people watching for the first time may want to then expose themselves to the original anime (which is now being made much more readily available) and manga, and it wouldn't be cool if they already know everything that happens because people were freely discussing either or both.

MikeMyers

Eh I don't think we'll get much Sailor Moon Classic and PGSM talk that much in that thread anyway, and it'll be noted that this thread can be used to talk about SM in general. It's just manga spoilers are a definitive no-no there.

So cj_iwakura is doing a write up on characters and madp on the director. I'll be adding some tidbits about the voice actors in the character section. I guess someone can add to the plot description since it was rather brief?

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I like these two:

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| Not a remake of the original anime
Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| Moon Prism Power...Make Up!

Top Bottom