• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Ayumi

You don't need a Crunchyroll account to view news articles on their site...whatever is giving you a 404 message is completely unrelated to having an account..

Just assumed, really. Btw, I edited my post in the previous page with a camrip leak of the opening of Sailor Moon Crystal + Usagi's first transformation scene.

Just assumed, really. Btw, I edited my post in the previous page with a camrip leak of the opening of Sailor Moon Crystal + Usagi's first transformation scene.

Yeah, I saw it. Not sure if it's okay to post that, but I'm not a mod here, so I don't know for sure. Someone else also just did it on the Crystal trailer thread.

Anyway, besides the slightly odd CG at parts (might look better when watching it regularly and not through leaked footage), they looked pretty cool. I was wondering if any footage leaked from the Sailor Moon ViVi party.

Ayumi

Yeah, I saw it. Not sure if it's okay to post that, but I'm not a mod here, so I don't know for sure. Someone else also just did it on the Crystal trailer thread.

Anyway, besides the slightly odd CG at parts (might look better when watching it regularly and not through leaked footage), they looked pretty cool. I was wondering if any footage leaked from the Sailor Moon ViVi party.

Okay. Should I just leave it and wait for Mike's opinion? It's already everywhere on the internet by now, but I don't want to be breaking any rules.

(I think the CG part was good, actually. Probably gonna look even nicer in a proper quality!)

Okay. Should I just leave it and wait for Mike's opinion? It's already everywhere on the internet by now, but I don't want to be breaking any rules.

(I think the CG part was good, actually. Probably gonna look even nicer in a proper quality!)

Don't ask me, I'm no mod! Neither is Mike. Only people with red names are mods.

Anyway, the transformation CG looked okay enough, but the parts in the opening looked odd. Better than the old video game CG stuff, though.

ibmcPVu7aeTCSy.gif

i3p1sEmR8FoRX.gif

Syrinx

Edit: The first half of season one of the original series is now available on Amazon Instant Video and iTunes!

HD on Amazon is $35 for the whole first half. Based off of this and Viz's previous BD releases, how much can I reasonably expect the BD release to cost?

Also man, kinda surreal that Crystal is less than a week away. Shame I won't be able to watch the first episode until some time next week maybe.

Sailor Moon 15

When butterflies attack

Both Usagi and Rei goes on dates! Poor Umino though, just getting used by Usagi. And then Sailor Moon gets her catchphrase stolen which is funny.

You want 3D, eh? Well, pre-rendered 3D sprites, but still.

3DO was better off with the 2D sprites. Neither is very good, though. Only the SNES/Super Famicom fighting games are any good.

Haha, no.

I got one of the SNES games. The one that was released in France.

Something I find interesting about this reboot is the majority of female staff working on the projecg and how the characters have changed. I wonder if that has anything to do with it, considering the staff themselves recognize some of the problems of having a majority male staff for the original series. From just the leaked opening,
the girls seemed to be portrayed as more powerful and less pretty, which I'm excited about. They actually looked badass. Also Mamoru actually looks cool. The CGI though.... :[

MOON PRIDE lyrics

Moon Pride 
あなたの力になりたい 
涙は頬を伝い 瞳は紅く燃える 
稲妻のように激しく 誰かが愛を叫ぶ 
例えどんな 暗闇でも 一人じゃないよね? 
私達を 照らす Moonlight 
嗚呼 
女の子にも譲れぬ矜持がある 
それは 王子様に運命投げず 
自らたたかう意志 
Shiny Make-up 輝くよ 星空を集めて 
ただ護られるだけの か弱い存在じゃないわ 
―だから 
Shiny Make-up 戦うよ 星空を纏って 
新しい伝説が 今ここから始まる 
La La Pretty Guardian SAILOR MOON

MikeMyers

Luna sounds good, Usagi sounds off, opening was good, but the transformation was whatever. Mixed reaction.

I'm not a mod, but it was posted in another thread. So I guess its okay?

Seeing Tuxedo Mamoru was enough for me. Think I'm gonna go dark from herer!

Still need to hear his voice, no more Tuxedo Yamcha.

Normally I wouldn't be bothered with a recast, but it's Furuya. ;_;

#butthurt.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
MikeMyers:

for the OT:

Munehisa Sakai is a relatively new director with Toei, but he's exhibited a considerable amount of improvement in a short time. His first and only series direction credit was in 2011 with Suite Precure, the eighth season of Toei's magical girl franchise Pretty Cure. While the season received little positive critical reception, this was partially due to hasty writing changes to make the show "happier" in the aftermath of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami that prevented Sakai from executing his vision to completion.

Since then, Sakai has gone on to prove in smaller projects that he is equally capable of orchestrating entertaining action and producing high-quality individual episodes with dramatic themes that far exceed expectations for content in young demographic programming. His single film credit is One Piece: Strong World, which received praise for its stylish, energetic approach to typically-bland original films of shounen anime. His three episodes in Smile Precure (2012) are the best in the season and contain such evocative, atmospheric cinematography and storyboarding in addition to emotionally-mature, poignant stories about family, loss, and uncertainty that it's easy to forget that you're watching a show that sells plastic toys to five-year-old girls.

Sakai has proven himself as both a film director and as an episode director, so will he finally manage to succeed as a series director? Even at a time at which Toei Animation seems to be limiting its creative talent's freedom more than it ever has, Sakai is still the best person Toei has to faithfully adapt a magical girl franchise with a colossal legacy.

It might have gotten a little too long.

OP was fine, didn't care for the song. Something was off about the transformation, maybe too long or I don't know. Just can't put my finger on it.

MikeMyers

Timing it with the debut?

And what title was decided on?

After reading GAF posts/Twitter messages etc. and thinking about it; I decided on:

"In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!"

I'll probably upset someone regardless of what title I picked, but I felt that one was for the best.

Cheerilee

OP was fine, didn't care for the song. Something was off about the transformation, maybe too long or I don't know. Just can't put my finger on it.

Too much nonstop movement (in a show that otherwise seems lacking in animation).

The 90's henshin was all... graceful movement, camera stops for focus, boom, graceful movement, camera stops for focus, boom.

This one is all moving, all the time. Character, camera, background, all moving all over the place. Speeding up, slowing down, tilt up, tilt down, twist sideways, pull back out, crash the camera into the figure... the movement is free (because it's CG), so they're getting their money's worth out of it, instead of making deliberate moves that have purpose and meaning.

After reading GAF posts/Twitter messages etc. and thinking about it; I decided on:

"In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!"

I'll probably upset someone regardless of what title I picked, but I felt that one was for the best.
I'm pretty sure nobody would get upset, regardless of what you picked.

And besides, a mod is probably just going to edit it to be about Tekken or something.

Too much nonstop movement (in a show that otherwise seems lacking in animation).

The 90's henshin was all... graceful movement, camera stops for focus, boom, graceful movement, camera stops for focus, boom.

This one is all moving, all the time. Character, camera, background, all moving all over the place. Speeding up, slowing down, tilt up, tilt down, twist sideways, pull back out, crash the camera into the figure... the movement is free (because it's CG), so they're getting their money's worth out of it, instead of making deliberate moves that have purpose and meaning.

That's a brilliant breakdown of everything, thank you!

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
You know what? I'm kind of digging the new transformation sequence! Why isn't the whole show in that same 3D cel-shaded style? This new art style comes off FAR better imo that way and it would have made the Crystal series feel even more like "something new". In 2D, the new art style doesn't look so great :/

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!

Note: As this adaptation aims to be closer to the mangas storyline, please spoiler tag any major manga events. Major events from other series, such as the original anime, are fair game

Flh2oCL.png

Sailor Moon Crystal is a 2014 Anime made by Toei Animation, that is adapted from the 1992 manga Sailor Moon by Naoko Takeuchi. The series follows the adventures of Usagi Tsukino, a clumsy crybaby who transforms into the titular character Sailor Moon. Sailor Moon battles the forces of evil while gaining new allies in her journey. The main difference between this series and the original 1992 cartoon is that Sailor Moon Crystal aims to be closer to mangas storyline, while the original anime did its own thing. The series will air biweekly starting from July 5th, and will be available to legally watch on websites such as Crunchyroll and Hulu.

10313645_10202397243112119_6808588692216144701_n.jpg

Cast & Crew
Company: Toei Animation
Director: Munehisa Sakai
Composer: Yasuharu Takanashi
Art Directors: Takashi Kurahashi, Yumi Hosaka
Kotono Mitsuishi as Usagi Tsukino
Hisako Kanemoto as Ami Mizuno
Rina Satou as Rei Hino
Ami Koshimizu as Makoto Kino
Shizuka Itou as Minako Aino
Kenji Nojima as Mamoru Chiba
Ryou Hirohashi as Luna the Cat
Daisuke Kishio as Jadiete
Kousuke Toriumi as Nephrite
Masaya Matsukaze as Zoisite
Eiji Takemoto as Kunzite
Misa Watanabe as Queen Beryl
See more of the Cast and Crew at Anime News Network

With the exception of Usagi Tsukino, every character has received a recast. A lot of people (including me) were upset that Toru Furuya and Keiko Han did not return to reprise their roles as Yamcha Mamoru and Luna, but lets give the new voice actors a chance. Remember, the characters personality vary per adaptation, so perhaps the recasts are for the best. Our composer is Yasuharu Takanashi (Naruto Shippuden, Fairy Tail) and director is Munehisa Sakai (Suite Precure). More about our director, from fellow GAF user madp:

Munehisa Sakai is a relatively new director with Toei, but he's exhibited a considerable amount of improvement in a short time. His first and only series direction credit was in 2011 with Suite Precure, the eighth season of Toei's magical girl franchise Pretty Cure. While the season received little positive critical reception, this was partially due to hasty writing changes to make the show "happier" in the aftermath of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami that prevented Sakai from executing his vision to completion.

Since then, Sakai has gone on to prove in smaller projects that he is equally capable of orchestrating entertaining action and producing high-quality individual episodes with dramatic themes that far exceed expectations for content in young demographic programming. His single film credit is One Piece: Strong World, which received praise for its stylish, energetic approach to typically-bland original films of shounen anime. His three episodes in Smile Precure (2012) are the best in the season and contain such evocative, atmospheric cinematography and storyboarding in addition to emotionally-mature, poignant stories about family, loss, and uncertainty that it's easy to forget that you're watching a show that sells plastic toys to five-year-old girls.

Sakai has proven himself as both a film director and as an episode director, so will he finally manage to succeed as a series director? Even at a time at which Toei Animation seems to be limiting its creative talent's freedom more than it ever has, Sakai is still the best person Toei has to faithfully adapt a magical girl franchise with a colossal legacy.

Also, feel free to visit the Sailor Moon Community Thread to talk about the franchise in general.

Contributors: Ayumi, Bladenic, Cheerilee, cj_iwakura (we need those character profiles!), Hitokage, Hours Left, KDash31987, lazybones18, madp, MikeHattsu, Pluto, ReXXXSoprano, R_thanatos, shadowkat, SpikedGunner, Syrinx, Zoe

Cheerilee

I counted anyone who took place in the poll, since it helped influence my decision for the title.

Very nice gesture, but I would actually prefer if you took my name off. I just don't feel like I deserve credit.

(Note: I'm not saying that anyone else should remove their name, or that they don't deserve it, this is my personal preference only.)

Top Bottom