• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

MikeMyers

Stephanie Sheh: Sailor Moon, Orihime (Bleach), Hinata (Naruto)
Kate Higgins as Sailor Mercury, Tails (Sonic), Sakura (Naruto)
Cristina Vee as Sailor Mercury, Mio (K-ON!)
Amanda C. Miller as Sailor Jupiter - Kate Bishop (Marvel Heroes), Sully & Cherche (Fire Emblem), Junko & Toko (Dangan Ronpa)
Cherami Leigh as Sailor Venus, Lucy (Fairy Tail), Asuna (SAO)
Robbie Daymond as Tuxedo Mask - ???
Michelle Ruff as Luna, Rukia (Bleach), Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Johnny Yong Bosch as Artemis, Vash (Trigun), Ichigo (Bleach)

MikeMyers

BrzGPSRCcAAAXS-.jpg

$80??? ;_;

The Dream is Dead

$80??? ;_;

Well...umm...damn. Maybe the non-combo pack (if that really does exist) will cost less? $80 for 23 episodes is ridiculous. I don't even think prices like 10+ years ago were that crazy...or maybe they were? I remember anime being stupidly expensive, which is why I didn't buy much besides movies.

I'll get Sailor Moon eventually, but I'm not sure if it's a day one anymore, especially when there are a bunch of video games I'd rather use that money on instead.

Well...umm...damn. Maybe the non-combo pack (if that really does exist) will cost less? $80 for 23 episodes is ridiculous. I don't even think prices like 10+ years ago were that crazy...or maybe they were? I remember anime being stupidly expensive, which is why I didn't buy much besides movies.

Cheaper than Aniplex prices today :p

cj_iwakura

Akihiko as Nephrite and Ragna as Kunzite should be... interesting.

Figures Tara Platt is Ikuko, she's the PC's mom in Soul Hackers.

No Amazon? I searched but cant find it.

I'd much rather get it on Amazon, too, since I get a lot of credit there from rewards programs and stuff. Hopefully the prices are similar.

It's coming out the same day as Halo: The Master Chief Collection, though, so I might pass on it until Christmas time or something.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Stephanie Sheh: Sailor Moon, Orihime (Bleach), Hinata (Naruto)
Kate Higgins as Sailor Mercury, Tails (Sonic), Sakura (Naruto)
Cristina Vee as Sailor Mercury, Mio (K-ON!)
Amanda C. Miller as Sailor Jupiter - ???
Cherami Leigh as Sailor Venus, Lucy (Fairy Tail), Asuna (SAO)
Robbie Daymond as Tuxedo Mask - ???
Michelle Ruff as Luna, Rukia (Bleach), Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Johnny Yong Bosch as Artemis, Vash (Trigun), Ichigo (Bleach)

That sure looks like a Viz dub cast!

cj_iwakura

Tell me about it...

I was at the PVC booth at AX a little bit ago and both Fate Zero dvds were "on sale" for $70.

As for the dub, it took some getting used to for the eps previewed but I thought Stephanie did a good job of it.

Not to justify, but at least FZ is a fairly new show, and in HD.

Not a going on 30 year old classic. If a live action DVD tried to charge that price for anything, they'd be laughed out of the market. Only HBO can get away with it, and even they can be reasonably priced on sale.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Not a going on 30 year old classic. If a live action DVD tried to charge that price for anything, they'd be laughed out of the market. Only HBO can get away with it, and even they can be reasonably priced on sale.

If the Sailor Moon BDs had been actual brand new high definition transfers from the original masters, intact grain and everything, no price would have been too high :(

Zoe

Resisting the urge to figure out Tumblr to complain about people complaining about Crystal not having anime-only change #26159.

Yeah, Tumblr is terrible. I just go there for images and gifs sometimes. Everything else there gives me a headache.

I have some Tumblr pages, but I don't update them often. I just post some gifs I make when I'm bored...but the small file size limit there just keeps turning me off from wanting to post anything at all.

Zoe

I think the stupidest comment I've seen so far is that by not using Moonlight Densetsu as the OP, they can't use it for the locket's music :lol

Zoe: You should watch the old anime sometime.

I am watching it. It's hard to sit through, TBH.

Zoe

Episode 15 was pretty bad. Rei's hatred of men is more interesting than her obsession with Mamoru, and they actually admitted they were being ultra creepy by making him so old.

cajunator

Banned

I'll get Sailor Moon eventually, but I'm not sure if it's a day one anymore, especially when there are a bunch of video games I'd rather use that money on instead.

It used to be 30$ for 4 episodes on a DVD. Sometimes 3.

I'd agree if I didn't find the booth after purchasing High School DxD and both seasons of Haganai for $50 each. And all three of those were Blu Ray/dvd combo packs. The FZ one's were dvd only.

I've been out of the loop, is there any hope that the Blu-ray release will be better than what is on Hulu in terms of image quality? :(

Cheerilee

I've been out of the loop, is there any hope that the Blu-ray release will be better than what is on Hulu in terms of image quality? :(
Going back to Japan for a real HD remaster to replace the upscale they just paid for would cost a fortune and take a long time, and there's no indications that their plans have changed. Seems unlikely.

The Bluray will have higher bitrate/less compression than the stream, which might not matter, since it's an upscaled SD picture. A smudged lens doesn't really matter when your camera is still completely capable of capturing every detail in front of it, even with a smudged lens.

Bluray is for people who are made of money.
Stream is for people who want to watch it for free.
DVD is for people who insist on owning physical media.

Cheerilee

I'm no expert on this but is the BR just going to be a blow up of the DVD?

Yep. They make it bigger, then use a filter to round off the jaggies.

The stream has the same blown-up source, and it looks nice, until you put it next to the Japanese DVD and see that it adds nothing to the picture.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I stated reading the manga and I had no idea it was so different compared to the original anime. It's a lot better than I thought it would be.
The live action version is different from either of those, as well!

It took 20 years for purism to mean anything to the Sailor Moon franchise.

Going back to Japan for a real HD remaster to replace the upscale they just paid for would cost a fortune and take a long time, and there's no indications that their plans have changed. Seems unlikely.

The Bluray will have higher bitrate/less compression than the stream, which might not matter, since it's an upscaled SD picture. A smudged lens doesn't really matter when your camera is still completely capable of capturing every detail in front of it, even with a smudged lens.

Bluray is for people who are made of money.
Stream is for people who want to watch it for free.
DVD is for people who insist on owning physical media.
I know it will look marginally to significantly better without streaming compression.

Top Bottom