• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Bikkun

Neo Member
mangas storyline
Daisuke Kishio as Jadiete

the characters personality

A couple grammar hiccups you may wanna fix, but very good opening post, Mike. :) Though, do you need to specify Luna as a cat? ^^;; There's no other Luna and I imagine she'll have the same voice if they ever get to her human form...

MikeMyers

mangas storyline
Daisuke Kishio as Jadiete

the characters personality

A couple grammar hiccups you may wanna fix, but very good opening post, Mike. :) Though, do you need to specify Luna as a cat? ^^;; There's no other Luna and I imagine she'll have the same voice if they ever get to her human form...

What's wrong with the Jadiete one?

Luna works, but I put Luna the cat because the name seems so short compared to everyone else.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!

Note: As this adaptation aims to be closer to the manga's storyline, please spoiler tag any major manga events. Major events from other series, such as the original anime, are fair game

Flh2oCL.png

Sailor Moon Crystal is a 2014 Anime made by Toei Animation, that is adapted from the 1992 manga Sailor Moon by Naoko Takeuchi. The series follows the adventures of Usagi Tsukino, a clumsy crybaby who transforms into the titular character Sailor Moon. Sailor Moon battles the forces of evil while gaining new allies in her journey. The main difference between this series and the original 1992 cartoon is that Sailor Moon Crystal aims to be closer to manga's storyline, while the original anime did its own thing. The series will air biweekly starting from July 5th, and will be available to legally watch on websites such as Crunchyroll and Hulu.

10313645_10202397243112119_6808588692216144701_n.jpg

Cast & Crew
Company: Toei Animation
Director: Munehisa Sakai
Composer: Yasuharu Takanashi
Art Directors: Takashi Kurahashi, Yumi Hosaka
Kotono Mitsuishi as Usagi Tsukino
Hisako Kanemoto as Ami Mizuno
Rina Satou as Rei Hino
Ami Koshimizu as Makoto Kino
Shizuka Itou as Minako Aino
Kenji Nojima as Mamoru Chiba
Ryou Hirohashi as Luna
Daisuke Kishio as Jadeite
Kousuke Toriumi as Nephrite
Masaya Matsukaze as Zoisite
Eiji Takemoto as Kunzite
Misa Watanabe as Queen Beryl
See more of the Cast and Crew at Anime News Network

With the exception of Usagi, every character has received a recast. A lot of people (including me) were upset that Toru Furuya and Keiko Han did not return to reprise their roles as Yamcha Mamoru and Luna, but lets give the new voice actors a chance. Remember, the characters personalities vary per adaptation, so perhaps the recasts are for the best. Our composer is Yasuharu Takanashi (Naruto Shippuden, Fairy Tail) and director is Munehisa Sakai (Suite Precure).

Character Profiles:

Usagi Tsukino
4lvSS7g.jpg

Usagi Tsukino is Sailor Moon, a klutzy crybaby forced to fight after the revelation that she is the super heroine Sailor Moon.

Ami Mizuno
l2mH3JS.jpg

Ami Mizuno is Sailor Mercury, a genius bookworm who fights with Water.

Rei Hino
TpLwm6s.jpg

Rei Hino is Sailor Mars, a shrine maiden who fights with with Fire.

Makoto Kino
9jdBnlU.jpg

Makoto Kino is Sailor Jupiter, a tomboy who fights with Thunder Thighs.

Minako Aino
9LtpBLK.jpg

Minako is Sailor Venus, an extroverted romantic who fights with the power of love.

Mamoru Chiba
pfl7XUN.jpg

Mamoru is Tuxedo Kamen, a mysterious man who appears during times of danger.

On Our Composer: (by forum member R_thanatos)

I think that the ambient music of fairy tail is well done and suit what the show needs. I don't like the first music themes but they get better afterwards. I especially like the use of violins in many of the music as it give FT a widely different feeling that other Shonen. I say this as whole because i don't have a particular track that i think is the best but IMO the music overall quality is FT strong points.

On Our Director: (by forum member madp)

Munehisa Sakai is a relatively new director with Toei, but he's exhibited a considerable amount of improvement in a short time. His first and only series direction credit was in 2011 with Suite Precure, the eighth season of Toei's magical girl franchise Pretty Cure. While the season received little positive critical reception, this was partially due to hasty writing changes to make the show "happier" in the aftermath of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami that prevented Sakai from executing his vision to completion.

Since then, Sakai has gone on to prove in smaller projects that he is equally capable of orchestrating entertaining action and producing high-quality individual episodes with dramatic themes that far exceed expectations for content in young demographic programming. His single film credit is One Piece: Strong World, which received praise for its stylish, energetic approach to typically-bland original films of shounen anime. His three episodes in Smile Precure (2012) are the best in the season and contain such evocative, atmospheric cinematography and storyboarding in addition to emotionally-mature, poignant stories about family, loss, and uncertainty that it's easy to forget that you're watching a show that sells plastic toys to five-year-old girls.

Sakai has proven himself as both a film director and as an episode director, so will he finally manage to succeed as a series director? Even at a time at which Toei Animation seems to be limiting its creative talent's freedom more than it ever has, Sakai is still the best person Toei has to faithfully adapt a magical girl franchise with a colossal legacy.

t1404554400z0.png

Also, feel free to visit the Sailor Moon Community Thread to talk about the franchise in general.

Contributors: Ayumi, Bikkun, Bladenic, Box of Bunnies, cj_iwakura, Hitokage, Hours Left, KDash31987, lazybones18, Lord Ghirahim, madp, MikeHattsu, Pluto, ReXXXSoprano, R_thanatos, shadowkat, SpikedGunner, Syrinx, Zoe

Ayumi

Hey Mike, that looks like an awesome introduction! Thanks for al the work, guys.

Here's some quick new info on Momoiro Clover's Sailor Moon Crystal single:
(Sorry in advance for the long post!)

709010ee-s.jpg

Momoiro Clover Z
Anime "Sailor Moon Crystal" theme song single "MOON PRIDE"
Release Date: July 30, 2014 (Wed)

"Sailor Moon Edition (CD+Blu-ray)"
Price: 1,714 Yen (+tax)
Track List:
[CD]
1. "MOON PRIDE"(Sailor Moon Crystal Anime Opening)
Lyrics, composition, arrangement: Revo
2. "月虹" (Sailor Moon Crystal Anime Ending)
Lyrics: 白薔薇 (white rose) sumire, composition & arrangement: Akiko Kosaka
3. "MOON PRIDE (off vocal ver.)"
4. "月虹" (off vocal ver.)
[Blu-ray]
Produced by Toei Animation
"Sailor Moon Crystal" music video (original animation in Blu-ray)

"Momorio Edition (CD)"
Price: ¥1,143 (+tax)
Track List:
[CD]
1. "MOON PRIDE"(Sailor Moon Crystal Opening)
Lyrics, composition, arrangement: Revo
2. "月虹" (Sailor Moon Crystal Ending)
Lyrics: White rose sumire, composition & arrangement: Akiko Kosaka
3. "Moon Revenge"
Lyrics: Fuyumori Hanadaiko, composition: Akiko Kosaka, arrangement: Yukari Hashimoto
4. "MOON PRIDE (off vocal ver.)"
5. "月虹" (off vocal ver.)
6. "Moon Revenge (off vocal ver.)"

A few additional facts:

- Track number two, "月虹", translates to "Moon Rainbow".

- Akiko Kosana (Sailor Moon Crystal Ending) also composed the following song for the original anime:
  • Tuxedo Mirage
  • Moon Revenge
  • Sailor Team no Theme
  • Various original Sera Myu songs
- Yukari Hashimoto (Sailor Moon Crystal's "Moon Revenge") have composed a lot of anime theme songs, here are some of them:
  • Mawaru Penguindrum
  • Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
  • The iDOLM@STER
  • Toradora!

MikeMyers

Interesting cover they got there.

I might not be online tomorrow, so the OT is getting posted somewhere in the next two hours. So if there are any objections, speak now or forever hold your peace. I did add in some notable credits for the voice actors, but I felt the character profiles looked better without it, so I removed it.

Ayumi

Oh, thank you! I've never heard of a moonbow before. It does translate to "Moon Rainbow", but it seems that it's also used as moonbow. I'm not really convinced it's meant to be "moonbow" in this case though, if you look at the name of the other tracks.

More Girls Memories figures! Venus, Mars and Mercury. http://sailormoon-official.com/goods/

Edit: Could someone please tell me the difference between the new thread and this one? Is the new one only for Crystal related things?
How about the classics, new merchandise, etc? Where should I post what?

MikeMyers

Could someone please tell me the difference between the new thread and this one? Is the new one only for Crystal related things?
How about the classics, new merchandise, etc? Where should I post what?

The new thread is mainly just for Crystal talk.

Everything else discussed here.

Nice avatar, by the way.

Zoe

Oh, thank you! I've never heard of a moonbow before. It does translate to "Moon Rainbow", but it seems that it's also used as moonbow. I'm not really convinced it's meant to be "moonbow" in this case though, if you look at the name of the other tracks.

げっこうgekkou 【月虹】
noun:
moonbow;  lunar rainbow;  whitish rainbow cast by moonlight;  lunar bow;  space rainbow

Ayumi

げっこうgekkou 【月虹】
noun:
moonbow;  lunar rainbow;  whitish rainbow cast by moonlight;  lunar bow;  space rainbow

Yeah, I know the Romaji, just never heard of a moonbow, so my translation was literal.. Does it even matter?

MikeMyers

Just caught up on the Hulu Episodes.

By the way, Kdash and the other Buffy fans here, what did you guys think of Season 5? It used to be one of my favourites, but it isn't holding up on a rewatch. Way too melodramatic so far, the previous seasons had more of a balance.

UberTag

I missed out on the Crystal footage leaks on YouTube. Going to reserve judgment 'til I actually see the first couple episodes.

We can expect new dub VA announcements for Sailor Moon Classic (and presumably Crystal as well) on Saturday, correct?

By the way, Kdash and the other Buffy fans here, what did you guys think of Season 5? It used to be one of my favourites, but it isn't holding up on a rewatch. Way too melodramatic so far, the previous seasons had more of a balance.

I don't know. I haven't seen it in years. I've always liked all of the seasons, though. I plan to rewatch all of Buffy and Angel again at some point. Not sure when, though.

Anyway:

MikeMyers

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

So can I still watch SM and Crystal on regular Hulu? Need to cancel my subscription to Plus, financial issues.

MikeMyers

But is Crystal going to be there?

Jeez, I never thought of connecting my TV and laptop together for Hulu despite being able to. Thanks for the idea!

Ayumi

ONE. MORE. DAY.

Can you believe it?!

Tomorrow, it's been exactly two years minus 1 day since the reboot was announced.

Oh man. There's that 7 days Sailor Moon Crystal bargain at Shibuya 109 starting tomorrow, and I'm planning on waking up unreasonably early to grab the limited goods.

Koriandrr

GUYS!!! It's a disaster >.<

UK here, where can I watch the first episode? All the places I can think of it's all region blocked D: WHAT THE HELL

I finally decided to continue reading the manga. I just read volumes 2 and 3. I bought volume 1 and 2 back in 2011, but only finally got around to reading the first one a few months ago. Anyway, I finished the Dark Kingdom storyline, and now really I can't freaking wait to see it animated!

MikeMyers

Crystal aside, I'm curious to hear the dub at least. Isn't it just the first episode they are showing tomorrow? Well at least we'll hear Usagi and Mamoru in English.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon Classic Redub Cast Revealed:

Stephanie Sheh as Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon
Kate Higgins as Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury
Cristina Vee as Rei Hino/Sailor Mars
Amanda C. Miller as Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter
Cherami Leigh as Minako Aino/Sailor Venus
Robbie Daymond as Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask

Michelle Ruff as Luna
Johnny Yong Bosch as Artemis
Danielle Nicole as Naru Osaka
Ben Diskin as Gurio Umino
Tara Platt as Ikuko Tsukino
Keith Silverstein as Kenji Tsukino
Nicolas Roye as Shingo Tsukino
Cindy Robinson as Queen Beryl
Todd Haberkorn as Jadeite
Liam O'Brien as Nephrite
Lucien Dodge as Zoicite
Patrick Seitz as Kunzite

Source

Damn it, Mike, I was literally about to post that! :(

Besides Cristina Vee who I think did the English voice of Tekken's Alisa in the Blood Vengeance movie, I don't know who those people are, but I'm looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

I wonder if they'll use the same cast for Crystal...

Edit: Oh, yeah, that Johnny Yong Bosch guy was in Power Rangers...though I never watched much of that.

Conan-san

Funny things;

The two vets in the inners are Usagi and Ami being, amoungst others Erueka and Haruko

Rei = Homura

Artemis & Luna = Ichigo & Rukia

Todd Haberkorn gets his second sexist asshole who gets a vehicle in the face in so many months (the badguy in SAO Fairy Dance being the other).

Just was about to post that too. It took me a minute to actually understand what I was looking at because some of these choices I would've never guessed in a million years but after thinking about those actors and what they bring to those roles is that it'll work out.

Most sensible choice in that whole list is Michelle Ruff as Luna. She always does great in roles that call for a sage-like voice which is perfect for Luna.

Would've never in a billion years ever called Stephanie Sheh as Sailor Moon. Sure money would've been on Ami given the roles she's more known for like Hinata & Orihime.

Kate Higgins can do anything in a booth so I'm interested in hearing her take on Ami.

I would've bet money that Cristina Vee would've been Chibi-Usa and been sure of the free money I was going to make. She has a vocal range that we don't hear a lot of so her Rei is going to be another voice I'm interested in hearing.

I went to listen to Amanda Miller's voice reel and her pool is deep. I heard maybe 3 ways she could approach Makoto.

I've heard enough of Cherami Leigh to know that she can handle Minako.

This is an interesting cast. Congrats to everybody!

Top Bottom