• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Ayumi

It will not be the same. But I want it to continue, and I'm sure that Hito would love for us to keep it alive!

Is it too much, or maybe we can honor him in the thread title?

Edit: MikeHattsu has been absent. Dunno why (maybe vacation?), but I really hope he's doing well despite the awful news.

MikeMyers

I suppose, but what subtitle would we use? Something like "Charmander's flame still burns on in our hearts?"

(Frame of reference: Hitokage is the name for Charmander in Japan)

Ayumi

I suppose, but what subtitle would we use? Something like "Charmander's flame still burns on in our hearts?"

That sounds great, lol.

How about a great Sailor Mercury quote?
She's the Soldier of Wisdom. It fits Hito so well. ; ~ ;

"A future is something that you make yourself. You have to believe in it." (from episode 27)

It's a nice quote that reminds us to keep going, no matter how hard it gets. We can do many things as long as we believe in ourselves and don't lose hope! (Sorry for sounding super cheesy.)

cj_iwakura

'Hitokage Fire, Ignite!" came to mind.

I don't think he and I saw eye to eye much, but we certainly shared a love for the best senshi. I'll carry that torch, for whatever it's worth. RIP.

Narag

The Charmander thing aggravated him since he got the name from a dictionary and not Pokemon lol

Well, I'm at Otakon right now, and there was a Sailor Moon cosplay photoshoot an hour ago. Here's a picture:
BumfoVEIcAASFeK.jpg:large

That's the Viz Media cosplayers at the front. They were also recording footage of this and was talking about possibly adding it to the Blu-Ray release.

Ayumi

I'm here. Just on vacation right now.

RIP Hito. :(

Actually, I looked up your Twitter the same day since you hadn't posted after the awful thread, saw that you were on your way to Otakon, and had clearly not figured it out.. so I was just sitting here praying for you to finish your vacation before you checked NeoGAF. :(

The Charmander thing aggravated him since he got the name from a dictionary and not Pokemon lol

人影 (ひとかげ Hitokage) means "A person's (one person) shadow" or sometimes just "human figure", usually referring to silhouettes (but only of one person). http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/人影

Just in case someone wonders where his nick is from, since it's not Pokemon.
Maybe he just liked the sound of it. :3

Well, I'm at Otakon right now, and there was a Sailor Moon cosplay photoshoot an hour ago.

That's a lot of them! There aren't many Sailor Moon cosplayers at events here (Comiket/Wonfes), as Japan tends to aim for what's popular, and not what's in their heart/their childhood.
Nothing wrong with that, of course!

Nafe

Hello. I had been reading the NeoGaf forum fairly frequently starting around the new years of 2010. I mainly stuck to the gaming section and very very rarely took a look at the off topic section. In the Winter of 2011 I happened to decide to look at the section and found the Madoka Magica OT. I kept looking and discovered the general AnimeGaf thread.

It was nice to find out about so many shows I hadn't heard about or learning about different staff or production notes. It was also nice to see so many interested in Sailor Moon. One of those posters whose comments I started paying more attention to was Hitokage. I originally thought about joining the forum in Summer 2011 but wasn't sure and then decided I did in Spring 2012 and was accepted in Summer 2012.

I was given a warm welcome and Hitokage seemed to be the one I started talking to the most initially with Sailor Moon. Over the couple years being here I believe I talked to him the most even starting to chat with him in general through PM's and the odd time I visited the AnimeGaf IRC channel. Whenever I had a question he was there to help.

Like many here I'm really going to miss him and his knowledge and enthusiasm for the games and anime,like Sailor Moon, that he liked. I won't be able to replace him nor would I want to try but maybe I can add to the community through some discussion or sharing some trivia from time to time like he did.

---

Sailor Moon 25
tumblr_mc4bt0wB3F1ro8ba4o3_1280.png

Makoto, an aggressive romantic, debuts as Sailor Jupiter. Meanwhile Zoisite, the best Shitennou member, takes over as the villain. I fucking love Zoisite; so cold, cunning, and frighteningly competent.

tumblr_mc4c38CdIr1ro8ba4o1_1280.png

During this arc we learn of Seven Great Youma who are now humans, and Zoisite works to bring them back.

tumblr_mp8qyrmZjS1ro8ba4o1_1280.png

Target #1: Joe Crane the Troll...according to these Viz Subtitles.

tumblr_mc4evaLgEu1ro8ba4o1_1280.png

Makoto fights with electricity, but....

tumblr_mc4evaLgEu1ro8ba4o2_1280.png

...Usagi thinks she fights with Ice Cream. Usagi got a nifty upgrade with the Moon Stick that can heal the youma-humans.

Also watche Utena Episode 3. I was thinking we could do a write-up on shows that are connected to SM in some ways and add it to the OP. For example, for Utena, we could mention that Ikuhara worked on both and watching Utena is a good way to see what of the SM anime was influenced by Ikuhara. Thoughts?

Sailor Moon 25

And here's Makoto.

Lots of new stuff. New sailor guardian, new enemies to fight and new evil plans. Usagi is the same as always though :p

I've gotten more interested over the last few years with things like which seiyuu's were involved in which shows I found it interesting that while this is Makoto's premiere episode it is not for her seiyuu, Emi Shinohara.

The monster or youma from episode 6, directed by Ikuhara even, is actually the first character she voices. The doll monster in episode 18 I believe it is is also voiced by her.

Sailor Moon 26

Poor Luna, having to convince everybody that Usagi should be the team leader.

New friends in the previous episode and then helping out old friends in this one. A bit of a strange monster too. That final shot with the rainbow bridge was neat.

The sound quality on Hulu hit a new low though, now it's not only sounding like it's playing in a tin can at times, but there's also audio popping all the time.

Good News Everyone!
I watched Episode 26 on Hulu and the subtitle said I'll Punish You, thank Princess Serenity that Viz finally got the subtitle right.

Sailor Moon 26
boxy.jpg

Naru is depressed from Nephrite's death, so Usagi and Umino try to cheer her up, but they bump into a priest who is turned into a youma by Zoisite. Meanwhile, Luna tries to convince the other Senshi that Usagi is their leader. Funny episode that has a hilarious Boxing Youma who speaks in Engrish as if he was Mike Tyson. This episode also develops between Naru and Umino's relationship, and finally setting up the feud between Zoisite and Tuxedo Mask.

Talking about Ikuhara again and I found out he directed this episode as well. Maybe it was because of the story at this point but this is one of the episodes I remembered when first watching the show. Maybe it was something about Ikuhara though as I mentioned to Hitokage that I found out that the episodes he directed in this first part or season of the show were some of the ones that I really remembered.

MikeMyers

Rumor has it there is an "OVER 9000" joke in the new dub. Viz Media, please do not insert DBZ Meme jokes in an official dub for Sailor Moon, thank you.

That being said, I'd laugh if they did added in my joke about how Mamoru, Yamcha, and Pegasus Seiya are all the same character at this point.

Is it too much, or maybe we can honor him in the thread title?

I spoke to a few people who were close to Hitokage privately and they didn't think it was a good idea. Don't worry, Ayumi, his legacy will live on through out thoughts and mentions of him.

Huh, never knew that. I just assumed he used to be a Pokemon fan back in the day.

Well, I'm at Otakon right now, and there was a Sailor Moon cosplay photoshoot an hour ago. Here's a picture:.

Get me one of those free posters. >.>

Hello. I had been reading the NeoGaf forum fairly frequently starting around the new years of 2010. I mainly stuck to the gaming section and very very rarely took a look at the off topic section. In the Winter of 2011 I happened to decide to look at the section and found the Madoka Magica OT. I kept looking and discovered the general AnimeGaf thread.

It was nice to find out about so many shows I hadn't heard about or learning about different staff or production notes. It was also nice to see so many interested in Sailor Moon. One of those posters whose comments I started paying more attention to was Hitokage. I originally thought about joining the forum in Summer 2011 but wasn't sure and then decided I did in Spring 2012 and was accepted in Summer 2012.

I was given a warm welcome and Hitokage seemed to be the one I started talking to the most initially with Sailor Moon. Over the couple years being here I believe I talked to him the most even starting to chat with him in general through PM's and the odd time I visited the AnimeGaf IRC channel. Whenever I had a question he was there to help.

Like many here I'm really going to miss him and his knowledge and enthusiasm for the games and anime,like Sailor Moon, that he liked. I won't be able to replace him nor would I want to try but maybe I can add to the community through some discussion or sharing some trivia from time to time like he did

Welcome, nice to see you here!

I've gotten more interested over the last few years with things like which seiyuu's were involved in which shows I found it interesting that while this is Makoto's premiere episode it is not for her seiyuu, Emi Shinohara.

I've seen Usagi and Mamoru's VA in a fair share of shows, and they're among my favourites. I don't really see the others in much, but I don't watch that much anime.

Interesting about Emi Shinohara. This reminds that I recently learned Megumi Ogata didn't debut as Haruka, as she was both Kid Mamoru and Petz in R.

The monster or youma from episode 6, directed by Ikuhara even, is actually the first character she voices. The doll monster in episode 18 I believe it is is also voiced by her.

Very cool! Episode 6 also features the legendary Norio Wakamoto, and is one of my favourites.

Talking about Ikuhara again and I found out he directed this episode as well. Maybe it was because of the story at this point but this is one of the episodes I remembered when first watching the show. Maybe it was something about Ikuhara though as I mentioned to Hitokage that I found out that the episodes he directed in this first part or season of the show were some of the ones that I really remembered.

Haha yeah! Anytime I mentioned an episode I really like, Hitokage would usually respond by saying "Ikuhara episode!"

eastx

I started watching the live-action series with the family recently. I really love the faithful but unique interpretation of the characters and story. The music and costumes are great as well.

What I don't love is the fight choreography and editing. It's mostly very bad, well below Super Sentai and Kamen Rider standards. I guess the target female audience doesn't mind, but the show would have been even better had they put more care into the action.

MikeMyers

Yeah, I have always felt like the live-action had superior writing, but it could have had better production values. As you said, even for Toku standards, it felt bad. Speaking of which though...

PGSM 36
tumblr_mijyhrCIz91rlhu3ko1_500.gif

Queen Beryl uses the Shitennou as bait to capture Mamoru, but this rages Usagi to the extent she transforms into Princess Serenity. Serenity easily overwhelms Beryl, but when Beryl kills Nephrite, Mamoru is forced to intervene and side with Beryl. I really enjoyed this episode, mainly for finally getting to see Usagi kick ass. It also just occurred to me that Nephrite isn't even killed by a protagonist in both TV Shows.

Oh, and I totally forgot this song even existed, talk about nostalgia!

Nafe

Welcome, nice to see you here!

Sure. :)

I've seen Usagi and Mamoru's VA in a fair share of shows, and they're among my favourites. I don't really see the others in much, but I don't watch that much anime.

Yeah, Kotono Mitsuishi, who did the voice for Usagi, and Toru Furuya, who did the voice for Mamoru, have been in a lot of shows doing some big name characters and still do voice work today. Aya Hisakawa, who did the voice for Ami, was also in a bunch of shows and is still active today.

I'm not as familiar with the other senshi. I think they were maybe more prevalent in the 90's or possibly early 2000's and there's still enough shows from that time that I have to watch. Michie Tomizawa, who did the voice for Rei, mostly retired from voice acting in the early 2000's though only coming back to do the odd thing I think for franchises she was already a part of, like Sailor Moon for example.

I personally also really like Rica Fukami, the seiyuu for Minako, but the only other bigger role I've seen her do is the awesome character Admiral Spoor from the Crest/Banner of the Stars series. Personally I'd recommend those shows. The art isn't as good at times in Crest but I think it's an interesting world with interesting characters. The last thing I know of was voicing Ringo's mother in Mawaru Penguindrum.

I think I really only know Emi Shinohara as Makoto. The last small role I can think of for her is I think she did the voice for Reika's mother in Smile PreCure!

Interesting about Emi Shinohara. This reminds that I recently learned Megumi Ogata didn't debut as Haruka, as she was both Kid Mamoru and Petz in R.

Yeah, she another example. Another interesting one is around the end of the first part of Sailor Moon I noticed Usagi's voice was a little different and thought maybe Mitsuishi had a cold or something. Then I was sure her voice was different. It turns out it is and for the last few episodes of Sailor Moon and for the first few episodes of Sailor Moon R Kae Araki provided the voice for Usagi. Not long after she would become part of the show doing the voice for Chibiusa. Mitsuishi was out at the time having her appendix removed.

Did Hitokage ever really mention the show Goldfish Warning! here or to you personally? It's not quite fully subbed yet but it was a show done by Toei just before Sailor Moon where a few of the key staff moved from one show to the other. Junichi Sato was the head director of Goldfish Warning and then went on to be head director of the first part of Sailor Moon. The music was done by Takanori Arisawa who went on to do either all or at least a lot of the music to Sailor Moon. Ikuhara even directed some episodes but I'm not sure how many as I haven't actually watched the the show yet myself. There was some other staff that moved on to Sailor Moon and if they didn't then they would be involved with Toei's magical girl show Doremi which Hitokage also quite liked and wanted more people to watch.

Well, the first part or season to Sailor Moon has quite a few little cameos or references to that show. When Regulus Tera was watching he was pointing out some of them so I'll just use his pictures.

On Rei's bag here you can see Gyopi the goldfish from the show.

I believe this is from episode 25 which you recently watched where the guy is running away from the monster and drops some of his arcade winnings. The little doll is of Wapiko, one of the main girls from GW.

This is from the episode where Jadeite lures people onto the cruise ship and Ami and Rei go together. Amongst the people there you can see Chitose, another of the main girls from GW, with I think one of the male characters from GW.

Very cool! Episode 6 also features the legendary Norio Wakamoto, and is one of my favourites.

That's right. I think I became more familiar with his voice after watching this episode and thus forgot about that.

Haha yeah! Anytime I mentioned an episode I really like, Hitokage would usually respond by saying "Ikuhara episode!"

I've found myself doing this as well now that I'm more aware of which episodes he directed,haha.

I started watching the live-action series with the family recently. I really love the faithful but unique interpretation of the characters and story. The music and costumes are great as well.

What I don't love is the fight choreography and editing. It's mostly very bad, well below Super Sentai and Kamen Rider standards. I guess the target female audience doesn't mind, but the show would have been even better had they put more care into the action.

Yeah, I thought its interpretation of the characters and story were somewhat interesting but the fights really aren't that great many times and it certainly does come across as low budget oftentimes.

Bladenic

Makoto's actress voiced Agate in Tales of Rebirth, but that was a decade ago.

And I know I'm being blasphemous, but I loved the "other" Usagi. In many respects, I preferred her to the original (and current) Usagi. But both are great.

Cheerilee

Rumor has it there is an "OVER 9000" joke in the new dub. Viz Media, please do not insert DBZ Meme jokes in an official dub for Sailor Moon, thank you.

That being said, I'd laugh if they did added in my joke about how Mamoru, Yamcha, and Pegasus Seiya are all the same character at this point.

The first dub clip Viz released included a crack about Mamoru's purple pants.

We should probably brace ourselves for the new dub to be laced with all sorts of "unfaithful" content. It might be a more faithful dub than the original dub, but that won't be saying much.

Ayumi

Comiket is coming, and so are the Sailor Moon Crystal wallscrolls!

T-shirt, wallscroll, microfiber mini-towel, shopping bag and a tote bag.

If you're not in Japan for Comiket and want these stuff, they'll be up on Premium Bandai (minus the shopping bag - limited for Comiket only) at the end of August (pre-order). You can use a deputy service to order from there. :3

0324a000292fc77d1942d3012ea78ee4.jpg

MikeMyers

PGSM 37
jNRUhMXB34IZ9.png

A (blurry) insight to Kid Beryl! Anyway, Usagi has disappeared while Ami and Makoto try to cover up so her mother doesn't realize. Meanwhile, Kunzite doesn't approve of Mamoru being at the Dark Kingdom and Rei meets up with Minako. Pretty funny episode with its character interaction.

Hm... I got myself one :p

Got the stamp rally coin as well:

I'm jealous!

The first dub clip Viz released included a crack about Mamoru's purple pants.

We should probably brace ourselves for the new dub to be laced with all sorts of "unfaithful" content. It might be a more faithful dub than the original dub, but that won't be saying much.

Heh, I could live with the pants line, but adding in a DBZ meme seems rather out of place.

Comiket is coming, and so are the Sailor Moon Crystal wallscrolls!

T-shirt, wallscroll, microfiber mini-towel, shopping bag and a tote bag.

If you're not in Japan for Comiket and want these stuff, they'll be up on Premium Bandai (minus the shopping bag - limited for Comiket only) at the end of August (pre-order). You can use a deputy service to order from there. :3

Very cool!

Bladenic

Is Ami's First Love basically episode 27 except instead of being happy she got #2 in the scores Ami decided she wants to kill whoever beat her?

MikeMyers

Hmm, that is an interesting way to look at it.

Yeah, Kotono Mitsuishi, who did the voice for Usagi, and Toru Furuya, who did the voice for Mamoru, have been in a lot of shows doing some big name characters and still do voice work today. Aya Hisakawa, who did the voice for Ami, was also in a bunch of shows and is still active today.

I'm not as familiar with the other senshi. I think they were maybe more prevalent in the 90's or possibly early 2000's and there's still enough shows from that time that I have to watch. Michie Tomizawa, who did the voice for Rei, mostly retired from voice acting in the early 2000's though only coming back to do the odd thing I think for franchises she was already a part of, like Sailor Moon for example.

I personally also really like Rica Fukami, the seiyuu for Minako, but the only other bigger role I've seen her do is the awesome character Admiral Spoor from the Crest/Banner of the Stars series. Personally I'd recommend those shows. The art isn't as good at times in Crest but I think it's an interesting world with interesting characters. The last thing I know of was voicing Ringo's mother in Mawaru Penguindrum.

I think I really only know Emi Shinohara as Makoto. The last small role I can think of for her is I think she did the voice for Reika's mother in Smile PreCure!
Maybe we should do a notable roles list for the voice actors? For example:

Kotono Mitsuishi (Usagi): Neon Genesis Evangelion, One Piece, Sailor Moon Crystal.
Toru Furuya (Mamoru): Dragon Ball, Kimagure Orange Road, Mobile Suit Gundam, Saint Seiya, Star of the Giants.

Something like that

Yeah, she another example. Another interesting one is around the end of the first part of Sailor Moon I noticed Usagi's voice was a little different and thought maybe Mitsuishi had a cold or something. Then I was sure her voice was different. It turns out it is and for the last few episodes of Sailor Moon and for the first few episodes of Sailor Moon R Kae Araki provided the voice for Usagi. Not long after she would become part of the show doing the voice for Chibiusa. Mitsuishi was out at the time having her appendix removed.
Actually, I do remember thinking her voice sounded different, and thus researched it to find what you just said.

Did Hitokage ever really mention the show Goldfish Warning! here or to you personally? It's not quite fully subbed yet but it was a show done by Toei just before Sailor Moon where a few of the key staff moved from one show to the other. Junichi Sato was the head director of Goldfish Warning and then went on to be head director of the first part of Sailor Moon. The music was done by Takanori Arisawa who went on to do either all or at least a lot of the music to Sailor Moon. Ikuhara even directed some episodes but I'm not sure how many as I haven't actually watched the the show yet myself. There was some other staff that moved on to Sailor Moon and if they didn't then they would be involved with Toei's magical girl show Doremi which Hitokage also quite liked and wanted more people to watch.
Yeah, I posted that image of Rei where she has the bag to mock her fashion sense, and he responded by talking about Goldfish Warning.

That's right. I think I became more familiar with his voice after watching this episode and thus forgot about that.
He's Vicious in Cowboy Bebop, and plays a big bad in DBZ. He's kind of a big deal, even if he is just a cameo here.

Nafe

Maybe we should do a notable roles list for the voice actors? For example:

Kotono Mitsuishi (Usagi): Neon Genesis Evangelion, One Piece, Sailor Moon Crystal.
Toru Furuya (Mamoru): Dragon Ball, Kimagure Orange Road, Mobile Suit Gundam, Saint Seiya, Star of the Giants.

Something like that

Those two have been in so many shows that there's probably a few notable roles I don't know about. Kotono Mitsuishi for example did the voice for Murrue Ramius in Gundam Seed and this was referenced in the more recent Gundam Build Fighters as she does the voice for the protagonist, Sei's, mother.

I'm not sure how far you are into Utena but she does the voice for Juri in that show as well. Aya Hisakawa is also in the show doing the voice for Miki.

Actually, I do remember thinking her voice sounded different, and thus researched it to find what you just said.

Okay. It's a neat bit of trivia anyway I think.

Yeah, I posted that image of Rei where she has the bag to mock her fashion sense, and he responded by talking about Goldfish Warning.

Okay. It's another show I'd like to go through personally.

He's Vicious in Cowboy Bebop, and plays a big bad in DBZ. He's kind of a big deal, even if he is just a cameo here.

I'm not sure what all he's had for work recently but he does the voice for one of the Gamilan generals in Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

I've heard him more recently myself due to watching some "older" anime from the 80's and early 90's. He does the voice for Coach in Gunbuster. He also does the voice for the captain of the girls flight squad in the OVA's 801 T.T.S. Airbats. He also does the voice for a character in the OVA Plastic Little.

He's been in quite a few shows but those are some of the roles I've heard recently or found out about.

Narag

One of his most recent roles was a frog familiar in Wizard Barristers. The show is bad and he's really creepy in it so best to not watch it.

MikeMyers

PGSM 38 & 39
jbhX0M6k0dxLnB.png

First episode is a recap of Usagi and Mamoru's relationship, while the latter features Minako's manager filming the Tsukino family in a commercial. Watching Usagi in a Full Metal Jacket scene makes my life complete.

Those two have been in so many shows that there's probably a few notable roles I don't know about. Kotono Mitsuishi for example did the voice for Murrue Ramius in Gundam Seed and this was referenced in the more recent Gundam Build Fighters as she does the voice for the protagonist, Sei's, mother.
The Furuya list was actually from a "Top 6 essential roles" list he made himself. There's also the fact that he voiced the video game character Mario in the anime. Did you know Furuya made an album dedicated to various characters he played, including Mamoru?

Also, Hitokage DID make a list for essential roles of the VA's, but I think I only saved the list he made for Crystal's VAs. If I find it I'll let you know.

I'm not sure how far you are into Utena but she does the voice for Juri in that show as well. Aya Hisakawa is also in the show doing the voice for Miki.
I was watching it alongside PGSM but now that Hitokage isn't here I don't know if I should post impressions or not. I just decided to marathon PGSM anyway and watch Utena after.

Okay. It's another show I'd like to go through personally.
That being said, I would like a write-up done on recommended shows that have a connection to SM (Goldfish, Utena, etc).

I'm not sure what all he's had for work recently but he does the voice for one of the Gamilan generals in Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

I've heard him more recently myself due to watching some "older" anime from the 80's and early 90's. He does the voice for Coach in Gunbuster. He also does the voice for the captain of the girls flight squad in the OVA's 801 T.T.S. Airbats. He also does the voice for a character in the OVA Plastic Little.

He's been in quite a few shows but those are some of the roles I've heard recently or found out about.

Hmmm, these days I just know him as M. Bison from Street Fighter. Or Vega, since Japan has a different naming order for the characters in Japan.

MikeMyers

PGSM 40
jeGL0ZwvSe3or.png

Minako wants to give up singing so she can focus on being Sailor Venus, but when she discovers that Rei has become an idol, her superiority complex nerve is hit. Rei and Minako later kick it off in a game show content where Rei's team (Rei, Ami, and Makoto) defeat Minako's team (Minako, Usagi, and Luna). Meanwhile, Nephrite returns in human form and his employed by Motoki, with Mamoru's consent. Really funny episode with hilarious gags and good character development for Minako as this is the first time she is wiling to spend time with the Senshi outside of battling the Dark Kingdom.

Also, I'd like to note in the gameshow Ami defeats Luna in a battle. PGSM Ami defeated Usagi, Minako, and Luna! Yet some people say Ami is weak, pfft.

And wait a minute. Queen Beryl let Mamoru visit Motoki? That's odd.

PGSM 41
jbgBslKihzg8wV.jpg

Usagi, Makoto, Naru, and Ami are required to help preschool kids as a Summer School assignment. During this a child goes missing leading Makoto and Mototoki to go look for him. Later a youma comes to fight Usagi & Naru and another one to fight Makoto & Motoki, thus causing the girls to reveal their identities when they transform. As Usagi appears to be losing, she transforms into Serenity and accidentally attacks Naru, and thus begin to realize that Usagi might actually destroy the world after all. An okay episode I guess. Didn't really stand out to me, but I didn't hate it.

PGSM 42
putties1.jpg

Jadeite infects Mamoru with a special poison that drains his life force energy when he thinks of Usagi, while Usagi is forced to battle the same crystal youma from the previous. Usagi eventually transforms into Serenity again, but manages to detransform and scare off the youma with help from Ami and Luna. Another decent episode. Also, I haven't adressed it before, but the mooks in this series appear to be the same mooks from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Zyuranger, hence why I put that image there.

One of his most recent roles was a frog familiar in Wizard Barristers. The show is bad and he's really creepy in it so best to not watch it.

Hmm, haven't heard much on that.

Kotono also did Katherine in the JP version of Atlus' Catherine. Part of the reason I imported it. She was phenomenal.
Actually I've been meaning to get that game. Is it only available in English unless I import it?

And wait a minute. Queen Beryl let Mamoru visit Motoki? That's odd.

Anything for her Mamoru.

thus causing the gils to reveal their identities when they transform.

I'm now picturing fish people like the ones in Slayers wearing sailor outfits...

Also, I haven't dressed it before, but the mooks in this series appear to be the same mooks from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers/Zyuranger, hence why I put that image there

You let them run around naked? You monster! :(

...anyway, thanks guys for reminding me that I still need to get Catherine. I really enjoyed the demo a few years ago, but still haven't gotten around to getting the full game. Heh.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Well, the first part or season to Sailor Moon has quite a few little cameos or references to that show. When Regulus Tera was watching he was pointing out some of them so I'll just use his pictures.
...do you have all my Sailor Moon posts archived or something?

MikeMyers

PGSM 43
jhFrXPbbn4wE7.jpg

Queen Beryl allows Mamoru to visit Usagi so he can help her suppress Serenity, while the Inner Senshi battle a youma. Afterwards, Rei confronts Minako if she has awakened or not. Kind of a slow episode, seems like they slowed down things towards the end. Episode 44 is one of my favourites, though.

We'll have to wait for KDash's review to see if I made any spelling or grammar errors, though!

From what I remember and understood, there is no dual audio on either the NA nor Euro release. So you'd probably have to import it.
What's the best place to import legally?

Hey, that'd be pretty cool if he did! I kinda wish I achieved my write-ups.

eastx

I'd like to get some Sailormoon toys for my daughter, but it looks like the current run of Japanese ones are really expensive. And the vintage US toys like the wand also sell for quite a lot on eBay. Any recommendations for more affordable toys?

Ayumi

What's the best place to import legally?

I have no idea really, since I live in Japan. If you can't really find anything online, I'll be more than happy to send you the game, if you want (assuming I can find it faster/cheaper than you).

I'd like to get some Sailormoon toys for my daughter, but it looks like the current run of Japanese ones are really expensive. And the vintage US toys like the wand also sell for quite a lot on eBay. Any recommendations for more affordable toys?

Most Sailor Moon items (especially RPG toys) on eBay are bootlegs and fakes. But that should be fine for your daughter, right? I think they still look nice and I'm sure she will love them a lot!

eastx

Most Sailor Moon items (especially RPG toys) on eBay are bootlegs and fakes. But that should be fine for your daughter, right? I think they still look nice and I'm sure she will love them a lot!

Yeah, she wouldn't know the difference. Role-playing toys would be best since the vintage US figures are terrible and the Japanese figures look small and easy to break/lose pieces. I guess I need to comb through eBay more, if there's not a particular online retailer with a great selection/prices or whatever.

MikeMyers

I have no idea really, since I live in Japan. If you can't really find anything online, I'll be more than happy to send you the game, if you want (assuming I can find it faster/cheaper than you).!

I'll PM cj_iwakura then.

Oh, you live in Japan? I'm actually kind of curious to know what the reception for Crystal is like there, if you don't mind me asking.

Ayumi

Yeah, she wouldn't know the difference. Role-playing toys would be best since the vintage US figures are terrible and the Japanese figures look small and easy to break/lose pieces. I guess I need to comb through eBay more, if there's not a particular online retailer with a great selection/prices or whatever.

The thing about them though (the cheap ones), is that they're usually sent from China. It means it will take like 4-5 weeks to arrive, sometimes less, sometimes longer.
So if I were you, I would just order from the same seller.
I'll PM cj_iwakura then.

Oh, you live in Japan? I'm actually kind of curious to know what the reception for Crystal is like there, if you don't mind me asking.
It's received very well (mostly among girls). But it's still the same as with international fans, you can put the fans into different categories. Japan has less critical fans about Sailor Moon, but there are still people who will bash on it. 2ch made a lot of fun of the animation as well, but those are mostly people who watch a lot of anime and have more knowledge of the anime industry beyond the typical 「かわいい!」

I never really saw other people wearing Sailor Moon clothes (or carrying items) before the anime came. It was so rare that if I did, I'd walk up to the person and compliment it. Not many people commented on mine either. but some did (mostly just friends who already knew me as the Sailor Moon obsessed person). It's insane how fast it has changed! I get so many compliments on whatever they notice (my t-shirt, wallpaper, purse charms, etc). It's always girls who do, and wow, a lot of them also carry it around. It's so much fun when someone comes up to me to show me their Sailor Moon phone case and other things, only because they see me wearing a Sailor Moon t-shirt/something. :3

Anyway, sorry for writing so much. Japan doesn't really show their hate that publicly (unless you go to 2ch like websites). The girls don't generally care about a slippery animation. They just got their childhood back and couldn't be more happy.

Nafe

The Furuya list was actually from a "Top 6 essential roles" list he made himself. There's also the fact that he voiced the video game character Mario in the anime. Did you know Furuya made an album dedicated to various characters he played, including Mamoru?

I don't think I knew that. If I did then I had since forgotten.

Also, Hitokage DID make a list for essential roles of the VA's, but I think I only saved the list he made for Crystal's VAs. If I find it I'll let you know.

Ah, okay. I don't have anything like that.

I was watching it alongside PGSM but now that Hitokage isn't here I don't know if I should post impressions or not. I just decided to marathon PGSM anyway and watch Utena after.

If you want, you could post your Utena comments in the general anime thread. It would probably get a lot more views and there's more people there who like the show and might talk to you about it.

That being said, I would like a write-up done on recommended shows that have a connection to SM (Goldfish, Utena, etc).

Hmm, unfortunately I'm not as familiar with some of the other shows. I'd say Goldfish Warning! because it aired just before Sailor Moon so you could get to see some of the staffs work just before as well as all the silly reaction faces,haha.

Utena also for staff like Ikuhara and his style or theme's he likes to explore. It's also just a good show in general.

I haven't gone through it yet but I would add Doremi. It's another magical girl show from Toei that has some staff from Sailor Moon as well as explores some more mature themes despite being intended for a more younger audience. Hitokage mentioned the main girl Doremi reminded him of Usagi in different ways and I believe she has a younger sister who he said reminded him of Chibiusa.

Pretty Cure possibly but that's also a bit of a tricky one. It's Toei's current magical girl series but unlike Sailor Moon or Doremi in doesn't build on the previous characters adventures. Not all but most of the series are standalone with new characters and have some similar ideas or themes they explore. Kind of like Final Fantasy or something say. It's also been airing for much longer now, about twice as long as the others or longer if you watched every series.

There's one called Heartcatch who has Umakoshi on staff for character designs and animation and he also worked a little on Doremi. Most shows have new staff though I believe. Ones most people think to take a look at are the first and Suite, I think, along with Heartcatch and Smile PreCure. We'll see how it goes but the current Happiness Charge could be another one.

While I think it's shows are fun I don't know if it would really be required viewing though. You could maybe just see this is where Toei and how their magical girl franchises are at this point.

Hey, that'd be pretty cool if he did! I kinda wish I achieved my write-ups.

No, I don't have anything saved. I remembered you posting about Goldfish Warning as you watched it and then pointing out the little cameos as you went through the first part of Sailor Moon. I went to Google and typed in something like "NeoGaf Regulus Tera Goldfish Warning!". I went through Google images to make it quicker and easier and those are some of the images that were displayed.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon 27
tumblr_mc4oenNeBl1ro8ba4o1_500.png

A boy with psychic powers has a crush on Ami and is targeted by Zoisite. Much like most things that focus on Ami, very cute episode and it is nice to see some Ami focus. Also, is it me, or does that youma look like a Spiderman villain? One more thing, these Hulu subtitles go by so fast that sometimes I miss what they are saying. I've never had this problem before. Urgh.

It's received very well (mostly among girls). But it's still the same as with international fans, you can put the fans into different categories. Japan has less critical fans about Sailor Moon, but there are still people who will bash on it. 2ch made a lot of fun of the animation as well, but those are mostly people who watch a lot of anime and have more knowledge of the anime industry beyond the typical 「かわいい!」

I never really saw other people wearing Sailor Moon clothes (or carrying items) before the anime came. It was so rare that if I did, I'd walk up to the person and compliment it. Not many people commented on mine either. but some did (mostly just friends who already knew me as the Sailor Moon obsessed person). It's insane how fast it has changed! I get so many compliments on whatever they notice (my t-shirt, wallpaper, purse charms, etc). It's always girls who do, and wow, a lot of them also carry it around. It's so much fun when someone comes up to me to show me their Sailor Moon phone case and other things, only because they see me wearing a Sailor Moon t-shirt/something. :3

Anyway, sorry for writing so much. Japan doesn't really show their hate that publicly (unless you go to 2ch like websites). The girls don't generally care about a slippery animation. They just got their childhood back and couldn't be more happy.
Thanks for writing! I'm in California, and it seems casual anime fans like it but the Sailor Moons find it disappointing, or at least that is what I get from talking to people outside the internet.

I have a few SM clothes myself. Actually a lot of my friends cosplay as Sailor Soldiers, but I don't think they'd approve if I posted pictures on a public internet forum.

I don't think I knew that. If I did then I had since forgotten.
The album is called Heroes ~ to my Treasure ~ and here is the track list:

01. Nemuttamama dewa (Theme of Mobile Suit Gundam's Amuro Ray)
02. Only One Shining Star (Theme of Saint Seiya's Seiya)
03. Reckless Throw (Theme of Star of the Giants's Hyuma Hoshi)
04. Ookami (Theme of Dragon Ball's Yamcha)
05. Everlasting My Love (Theme of Sailor Moon's Tuxedo Mask)
06. Who is No. 1 (Theme of Kimagure Orange Road's Kyōsuke Kasuga)
07. Lalah no Yasoukyoku Nocturne (Theme of Mobile Suit Gundam's Amuro Ray)

You can listen to Mamoru's song here.

Ah, okay. I don't have anything like that.
Yeah I'd like to make a list for the Senshi, cats, and Mamoru's VA history.

If you want, you could post your Utena comments in the general anime thread. It would probably get a lot more views and there's more people there who like the show and might talk to you about it.
You've seen it right? I guess we can just discuss it here.

Hmm, unfortunately I'm not as familiar with some of the other shows. I'd say Goldfish Warning! because it aired just before Sailor Moon so you could get to see some of the staffs work just before as well as all the silly reaction faces,haha.

Utena also for staff like Ikuhara and his style or theme's he likes to explore. It's also just a good show in general.

I haven't gone through it yet but I would add Doremi. It's another magical girl show from Toei that has some staff from Sailor Moon as well as explores some more mature themes despite being intended for a more younger audience. Hitokage mentioned the main girl Doremi reminded him of Usagi in different ways and I believe she has a younger sister who he said reminded him of Chibiusa.

Pretty Cure possibly but that's also a bit of a tricky one. It's Toei's current magical girl series but unlike Sailor Moon or Doremi in doesn't build on the previous characters adventures. Not all but most of the series are standalone with new characters and have some similar ideas or themes they explore. Kind of like Final Fantasy or something say. It's also been airing for much longer now, about twice as long as the others or longer if you watched every series.

There's one called Heartcatch who has Umakoshi on staff for character designs and animation and he also worked a little on Doremi. Most shows have new staff though I believe. Ones most people think to take a look at are the first and Suite, I think, along with Heartcatch and Smile PreCure. We'll see how it goes but the current Happiness Charge could be another one.
I think Utena, Goldfish Warning, and Doremi is good enough. Something like this:

1. Goldfish Warning

Paragraph on what the show's plot is.

Paragraph on how this ties into Sailor Moon and why we should watch it.

We just need people to do write-ups. As for PreCure, I feel like most SM fans are aware of PreCure anyway, so I guess we can add that, but it isn't needed.

New Blu-ray/DVD combo pack images:
Awesome, but I'm not sure if I'll get them as of now, they're expensive. :/

I guess it does make sense, since they had to redub the series.

I liked ADV's packaging much more.

51QAPXGNY6L.jpg

Sorry Viz.
I remember back in 2011 seeing those sets available for $40 but not buying them because I didn't realize that they were OOP. >.<

ANNCast interviewed the ADR director of the DIC dub of Sailor Moon on this week's podcast. Perfect time for the guy to cash in on the SM relaunch, since he apparently has a SM book out as well.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2014-08-14/.77636

Wow, very cool, I didn't know about this!

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon 28
tumblr_mc6d9fDukz1ro8ba4o1_400.gif

Usagi and Mamoru meet an artist who draws paintings that resemble Serenity and Endymion, and she's also the next target of Zoisite. Really good episode that shows Usagi starting to become a leader, as she begins to call the shots. Also helps develop the relationship of Usagi and Mamoru, oh and even Naru and Umino. Oh and there was some nifty action scenes too, including Tuxedo Mask battling Zoisite. I always felt like the action was best between late-S1/S2.

Usagi and Mamoru:
tumblr_mc6ctcN3GJ1ro8ba4o1_1280.png
tumblr_mc6ctcN3GJ1ro8ba4o2_1280.png

Usagi and the Inners:
tumblr_mc6c9l4Px81ro8ba4o1_1280.png
tumblr_mc6c9l4Px81ro8ba4o3_1280.png

Awesome, but I'm not sure if I'll get them as of now, they're expensive. :/

I guess it does make sense, since they had to redub the series.

Yeah, I'm not sure that I'll be getting them any time soon, either, but we'll see...

The fact that there's a bunch of video games that I really want to get, some coming out around the same time (and same day!), isn't helping, either. I don't think I can afford all of this. I'll add it to my Christmas list, though, I guess.

Anyway, less than 30 minutes until the next Sailor Moon Crystal episode. I almost forgot about it, until I saw new posts in the Sailor Moon threads. I was gonna go back so sleep, but I'll stay up watch it.

Bikkun

Neo Member
- Yay, Luna introduction
- That arcade sequence between Rei and Ami is too adorable, wtf
- WAIT, HE'S ALIVE?
- On that note, Kunzite~
- Ohai manga-style Silver Crystal
- KENJI-PAPA
- Oh hey, the disguise pen gets an actual sequence this week.
- Vaguely foreign country does not appreciate your cat
- Let's dancing
- I love how Usagi basically went "oooh shiny" but Ami and Rei stayed on point
- NEW TIARA GET. +1 SP ATK
- Wow, Mako's voice is kinda hot, no lie.

MikeMyers

- Yay, Luna introduction
- That arcade sequence between Rei and Ami is too adorable, wtf
- WAIT, HE'S ALIVE?
- On that note, Kunzite~
- Ohai manga-style Silver Crystal
- KENJI-PAPA
- Oh hey, the disguise pen gets an actual sequence this week.
- Vaguely foreign country does not appreciate your cat
- Let's dancing
- I love how Usagi basically went "oooh shiny" but Ami and Rei stayed on point
- NEW TIARA GET. +1 SP ATK
- Wow, Mako's voice is kinda hot, no lie.

There's a thread dedicated to sharing Crystal reactions, but feel free to post them here too. :)

Ayumi

Bleh. I pre-ordered a really cool looking Sailor Moon oppaipad from Storenvy a while back. It said that it would take about 4 weeks to arrive. 4 weeks later, the item wasn't even marked as shipped. I contacted the seller, and he/she said that it had been returned to them. So I checked my address.. it was correct. They said it was their fault or something, tl;dr I never heard back and just filed for a refund on my PayPal.

It really sucks. I was looking forward to receiving this so I could show you guys. Now I don't care to show because the seller doesn't deserve it, lol.

Bleh. I pre-ordered a really cool looking Sailor Moon oppaipad from Storenvy a while back. It said that it would take about 4 weeks to arrive. 4 weeks later, the item wasn't even marked as shipped. I contacted the seller, and he/she said that it had been returned to them. So I checked my address.. it was correct. They said it was their fault or something, tl;dr I never heard back and just filed for a refund on my PayPal.

It really sucks. I was looking forward to receiving this so I could show you guys. Now I don't care to show because the seller doesn't deserve it, lol.

That would have been nice to see.. :(

Bladenic

Episode 29:

"Usagi, you look very good in an apron. Would you be my bride?"

Of course it was Usagi's imagination but I still found it funny.

Also why is it that the original anime has youma translated as monster but for some reason Crystal uses "Evil" of all things

Ayumi

Also why is it that the original anime has youma translated as monster but for some reason Crystal uses "Evil" of all things

I guess because she's....

&#9734;&#9733;&#9734; &#65318;&#65353;&#65351;&#65352;&#65364;&#65358;&#65353;&#65358;&#65351;&#12288;&#65317;&#65366;&#65353;&#65356;&#12288;&#65346;&#65369;&#12288;&#65325;&#65359;&#65359;&#65358;&#65356;&#65353;&#65351;&#65352;&#65364; &#9734;&#9733;&#9734;

Top Bottom