• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

I drew some fanurt because I got bit by the Sailor Moon nostalgia bug.....so uh, enjoy?

Tmn1YOm.png

EDIT:
Eww, imgur resize made it blurry as ASS. http://dice9633.deviantart.com/art/Sailorstickers-470092250

Great job! Super cute.

DORNE PRISM POWER! MAKE UP!

YH7qXG0.png

I had to look up who this is. Pedro Pascal, apparently? No clue who he is, but I see that he's in season four of Game of Thrones. I'm only up to episode 2 of season three. :/

I should really finish season three. It's been weeks since I watched the first two episodes. Heh.

MikeMyers

PGSM Act 30

ji3dexP8nCmQB.png

The great trolling of Mio continues with her telling Usagi that Minako is hosting a concert, but Minako wasn't alerted. Thankfully, Minako realized Mio's trick in time and showed up the concert, making Usagi not look like a liar. I love how Minako doesn't take any of Mio's garbage, she kind of reminds me of the Outers in the anime.

Individual character art from the cover of the Moon Pride single:

Moon: http://i.minus.com/ibXnjIGAevG8S.png
Mercury: http://i.minus.com/i2hNnEaO80IEQ.png
Mars: http://i.minus.com/iWEHxXBlDDgVN.png
Jupiter: http://i.minus.com/ikkBnMs9aZxVD.png
Venus: http://i.minus.com/i1kQrwOBEakm0.png

Also, someone made a version of the first episode of Crystal that uses the DiC audio from the first episode of the dub. It's pretty hilarious, and totally doesn't match with all of the differences there are in some scenes. Not to mention how out of sync the audio is with the video. Hah. It's pretty funny.

Sailor Moon 24

Well, it's the end of
Nephrite
and it's actually pretty sad. Poor Naru...

The sound quality of this episode on Hulu is awful though. Sounded like it played through a tin can at times.

Zoe

I've been seeing these Petit Chara things everywhere. How overpriced are they to import?

6WtZVWe.jpg

Princess info coming 8/1.

Narag

Sailor Stars 184

Possibly the peak of the series' brand of humor, bringing the clever scenarios and visual humor together into something that had me laughing hard. The bonus was that delicious Seiya/Haruka tension as the show nails the disdain that exists between them.

MikeMyers

That was my favourite episode of Stars. I also like the Nehelenia arc and the episode with Rei's cousin. The final battle had a good ending but I hated how
Hotaru was shafted, especially since she kicked so much ass in the beginning

Sailor Moon 23
usagi-ballbash2.gif

Oh hey, it's the episode where the ball gif is from! Tensions reach a new level as Usagi discovers that Naru is in love with a villain, and I like how we see Usagi go to Mamoru/Motoki for advice as it helps develop their connection more.

Time to watch the next episode...as a fan of villains, I know it will be an emotional one for me.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon 24
tumblr_n5i0duEgFn1ro8ba4o1_500.jpg

This picture isn't actually from the episode, but he deserves an awesome picture as his swan song

This episode was supposed to be tragic but from what I've read on the internet it has pretty much turned into a giant running gag within the fandom. I still cry when Nephrite dies if for no other reason than everybody else’s grief is absolutely touching, especially Narus.

I really enjoyed Nephrite's character arc, but now we move onto my favourite Four Devas member, Zoisite! Oh yeah, and Makoto debuts too.

cj_iwakura

Sailor Stars 184

Possibly the peak of the series' brand of humor, bringing the clever scenarios and visual humor together into something that had me laughing hard. The bonus was that delicious Seiya/Haruka tension as the show nails the disdain that exists between them.

That and Nezu leaving during Usagi's speech nails Stars for me.

Narag

Sailor Stars 185

I was actually dreading this one after the preview as it seemed excessively melodramatic. It delivered on a really nice character piece for Taiki which surprised me as he's been rather unlikable thus far.

MikeMyers

More of an adaptation than a straight translation.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it seemed more literal in the beginning.

I've been wary of their subtitles since "You'll Be Punished" which I find especially strange since she says "I'll Punish You" in the new dub.

Cheerilee

More of an adaptation than a straight translation.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it seemed more literal in the beginning.

I think Viz said their plan was to speedsub the series just to get it streaming ASAP, but that they were going to go back and clean up the translation later, and the DVD/Blu was going to have the cleaned-up version.

Some time has passed and the DVDs are getting closer to release, so maybe the translations are done, and now we're able to see the finished product, not the speedsubs?

Bladenic

Sailor Moon 24
tumblr_n5i0duEgFn1ro8ba4o1_500.jpg

This picture isn't actually from the episode, but he deserves an awesome picture as his swan song

This episode was supposed to be tragic but from what I've read on the internet it has pretty much turned into a giant running gag within the fandom. I still cry when Nephrite dies if for no other reason than everybody else’s grief is absolutely touching, especially Narus.

I really enjoyed Nephrite's character arc, but now we move onto my favourite Four Devas member, Zoisite! Oh yeah, and Makoto debuts too.

It always reminds of Sailor Moon Abridged making fun of the original dub's Sailor Moon Says or whatever. Something about Naru saying how she felt, and SMA was like "see what that got her, stupid bitch should've kept her mouth shut" haha

MikeMyers

The above post reminds me that I neglected to mention I watched the first two episodes of Utena over the weekend. I can see some similarities to Sailor Moon already; like the scene in Episode 2 where the main protagonist is trying to put her luggage in the wardrobe, turns around to talk to her roommate, and the luggage falls into her without her verbally responding to the incident. Chu-Chu though? That's my baby-cousins nickname.

Also, maybe there should be a write-up on "recommended shows and why are they are recommended" added to the OP?

I miss her so much. Had more fun watching her go about her work than the actual protagonists doing things.

I generally prefer antagonists over protagonists, really. My three favourites are Zoisite, Esmeraude, and Fisheye.

Narag

I generally prefer antagonists over protagonists, really. My three favourites are Zoisite, Esmeraude, and Fisheye.

I gushed over the Amazon Trio just hanging out and shooting the shit so often when watching SuperS as it gave them personality and made them so likable.

MikeMyers

I found this on the keyofnik tumblr; it is hilarious:

Nephrite's Car in Sailor Moon:
tumblr_inline_n8qh39V1Oa1r6uc34.png

Mamoru's Car in Sailor Moon R:
tumblr_inline_n8qhbuHnRl1r6uc34.png

Mamoru's Car in Sailor Moon S:
tumblr_inline_n8qhcwVkXO1r6uc34.png

Mamoru's Car in Sailor Moon SuperS:
tumblr_inline_n8qheuUvaX1r6uc34.png

Tuxedo Mask really is a thief!!!

MikeMyers

For anyone in Vancouner; Megumi Ogata, the voice of Sailor Uranus, will be attending Anime Revolution.

Other roles include (watch me forget something important here): Kurama in Yu Yu Hakusho, Shinji in Evangelion, Yugi in Toei's Yugioh, and Yukito Tsukishiro in Cardcaptor Sakura.

I'm jealous. I'd love to meet her and see her do WORLD SHAKING in person.

Christopher

So due to Sailor Moon Crystal, I came to ask: Is the original series still worth watching? I remember watching a few episodes a year or so back and having to stop myself from cringing. It was really childish. Should I just stick to watching Crystal, or should I go back and watch the original show?

Also, if so... sub or dub?

The dub is fucking awesome, it's so bad and hokey that it's good. The Japanese one is actually very corny in it's own way as well...people take it way too seriously. The dub one is at least a good time. The songs are pretty catchy too.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The dub is fucking awesome, it's so bad and hokey that it's good. The Japanese one is actually very corny in it's own way as well...people take it way too seriously. The dub one is at least a good time. The songs are pretty catchy too.
This misses the point of the show, removing the original humor and replacing it with an inferior substitute.

eastx

I always enjoyed the English songs too. People look down on the dub now (we never liked the censorship), but at the time of release it was great and very unusual getting to watch the show on US TV.

Christopher

This misses the point of the show, removing the original humor and replacing it with an inferior substitute.

the original humor is just as corny - get off the high horse.
I always enjoyed the English songs too. People look down on the dub now (we never liked the censorship), but at the time of release it was great and very unusual getting to watch the show on US TV.

Agreed. I would get up and watch this before pokemon every morning.

Christopher

I don't support butchery or butchering denial.

eh and I don't support taking an anime with an outrageous idea that was brought to America and changed to be scrutinized to the Japanese version...you have the Japanese version, watch it. I think the music is better, the voices are ON POINT, and it tried it's hardest to get on TV at the time when anime wasn't a thing here.

Hitokage needs to agree that having a different opinion is ok, and that things can be different - and not everything has to be reverted back to the Japanese as a point of reference when it's an adaption not a translation people can agree to disagree - Sailor Moon Says.

eastx

I don't support butchery or butchering denial.

Do you support time machines then? The Dic show is a product of its time. Statements like that completely fail to take into account the state of anime in the US in the early-mid ninteties. There is nothing to support because the Dic version already exists and will forever be a product of that time period.

Sneering at the edited version of the show and people who like it is completely unproductive. Shows like the Dic Sailor Moon helped anime rise to popularity in the US. They are one small piece of why so many people know about anime and enjoy it now. Disrespecting the pre-2000s English TV anime (of which there are a fair number of series, most of which continue to have fans) is awfully shortsighted. Nobody says you have to *like* the versions that came before your time, but there is no need to be dismissive and rude.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
No, I understand that in the early days of anime localization that they didn't believe that titles could be sold on their own merits, so they had to create versions that could be more easily greenlit. However, that was in the past, and we don't need to put up with such crutches anymore.

After all, it's the era of localization that brought us this:

PyiyeVc.jpg

When we could have this:

2xYvHxF.jpg

I grew up in that era. Like rewinding VHS tapes and dialup modems, some things are better left in the past.

Top Bottom