• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

MikeMyers

Come on, dude. Some of us are still working our way through the series for the first time. :-\
Sorry dude, I kind of figured that no one cares since I've been pretty spoilerish with all my entries. From now I'll spoiler tag everything for people who are still new to the series (since Corvo is watching the anime for the first time too).

Ayumi

Hi guys, I'm back from vacation! Time to watch more Classics~

These things really freak me out.
At least Mercury looks less weird than Usagi. I'm guessing she's easier to design due to her hair, which is the most easy of the Inner Senshi. Usagi just looked like a doll cosplaying Sailor Moon, while Mercury looks more like.. Mercury. =3=

MikeMyers

Welcome back!

Sailor Moon 32
tumblr_mc84xxJgC21ro8ba4o1_400.gif

Umino poses as Tuxedo Kamen in order to woo Naru, while Zoisite strikes again. Funny episode, and I guess you can say this is the point where Naru and Umino are officially together.

Ayumi

Welcome back!

Sailor Moon 32
tumblr_mc84xxJgC21ro8ba4o1_400.gif

Umino poses as Tuxedo Kamen in order to woo Naru, while Zoisite strikes again. Funny episode, and I guess you can say this is the point where
Naru and Umino are officially together

Thank you!

This is so cute.. poor Umino. I almost forgot how much more creepy he is in the manga. He's pretty cute in the anime though. :3

Sailor Moon 33

It's Sailor Fake.

So the Dark Kingdom guys finally comes up with a pretty good plan. Too bad for them Sailor Venus and Artemis shows up and spoils their plans. And the Sailor Guardians team is finally complete.

Pluto

Come on, dude. Some of us are still working our way through the series for the first time. :-\
The manga and anime are 20 years old, the live action series a decade, there comes a point where spoiler tags aren't necessary anymore.

Sorry dude, I kind of figured that no one cares since I've been pretty spoilerish with all my entries. From now I'll spoiler tag everything for people who are still new to the series (since Corvo is watching the anime for the first time too).
I don't agree with that, this is the Sailor Moon Community thread, I think fans should be allowed to talk openly about the franchise. Of course we shouldn't directly address someone new and spoil him or her by quoting or by PMs but in regular conversation or in reviews no spoiler tags should be used at all, it is the new fan's responsibility to try to avoid spoilers, don't read the thread or skim it. You don't want to be spoiled? Skip the post that's clearly marked as being about PGSM 47.

I understand that being spoiled can be annoying (and I have been annoyed by it myself) but a community of long time fans cannot and should not be expected to censor itself constantly because someone new might wander into this thread. Not being able to openly talk about Sailor Moon in this thread of all places is borderline ridiculous.

Cheerilee

The manga and anime are 20 years old, the live action series a decade, there comes a point where spoiler tags aren't necessary anymore.

I don't agree with that, this is the Sailor Moon Community thread, I think fans should be allowed to talk openly about the franchise. Of course we shouldn't directly address someone new and spoil him or her by quoting or by PMs but in regular conversation or in reviews no spoiler tags should be used at all, it is the new fan's responsibility to try to avoid spoilers, don't read the thread or skim it. You don't want to be spoiled? Skip the post that's clearly marked as being about PGSM 47.

I understand that being spoiled can be annoying (and I have been annoyed by it myself) but a community of long time fans cannot and should not be expected to censor itself constantly because someone new might wander into this thread. Not being able to openly talk about Sailor Moon in this thread of all places is borderline ridiculous.

Minako dies
is a pretty big plot point which was added to PGSM, and has no roots in the manga or anime.

At a time when the manga has just been re-released and the anime is just starting it's re-release, and the fandom has been re-energized and new people are coming into it... you're basically asking anyone with any intention of watching PGSM to GTFO. If this was exclusively a community of longtime fans, this thread would have been created in the 90's, not 2013.

I've seen a lot of talk recently about how spoilerphobia limits discussion, and how it's immature because "true" artistic discussion cares not for minor details like "plot", but can't people see how badly it limits discussion or how immature it is to talk down to people and kick them out of threads?

I don't think Mike was right when he said he was going to "spoiler tag everything", although I think part of what he meant was that he was going to increase his use of spoiler tags in his impressions of the anime, in addition to his impressions of PGSM.

I don't think that people should limit what they say. I think that, as a matter of courtesy, before you hit "post" you should take a moment to read what you just wrote (that's always a good idea), and if you see that you're spoiling something, it's a simple matter to swipe-and-click and make it disappear.

One click to reveal a hidden detail is not the end of intelligent discussion on the internet. When spoiler tags are properly used, people who know what you're talking about should have a pretty good idea what words have been hidden before they even click (which is more true than the nonsense I've seen from the anti-spoilerphobes, saying that anyone who knows anything about movies should pretty much be able to predict the entire plot of a movie before watching it). If spoilers aren't easy to manage because of cell phones, then it's cell phones that are killing intelligent discussion on the internet, not spoilerphobes.

People need to use common sense to determine what is a spoiler and what isn't, as well as "read the room" to determine what level of courtesy is appropriate. I know I'm sensitive to spoilers (ever since some asshole dropped massive spoiler bombs on something I really wanted to watch, which almost-completely ruined my enjoyment of it, and that was before the time-shifted issue of internet-TV became a big thing), but I know I've also spoiled things for other people (by accident). It's okay to make mistakes, but it just seems like a dick move to give up on the entire concept.

To Mike, I would say that you probably didn't need to spoiler tag
Naru/Umino
, but I could be wrong. My common sense says that's not a spoiler, but feedback is required to properly feel out the boundaries.

MikeMyers

Hmm, well I thought about this a lot today. So I can agree that, in discussions, MAJOR plot points should be tagged, especially for PGSM and the manga since a lot of people are unfamiliar with them. Generic stuff like Mamoru being Tuxedo Mask and the Naru/Umino relationship doesn't need to be spoiler tagged. The latter is just a superfluous plot point anyway.

The one thing I was cautious was the pictures used during impressions, but I can't imagine they'd be spoilers unless there was context. Like if I just post a picture of Black Lady, surely that doesn't spoil
that she is an evil grown-up Chibiusa
...right?

Oh, and for Ayumi, what is creepy about Umino in the manga? He never made an impression to me in the manga, I just found him forgettable.

Pluto

Minako dies
is a pretty big plot point which was added to PGSM, and has no roots in the manga or anime.
It's still a series that's a decade old. This specific thing can be spoiler tagged but it doesn't have to be imo

At a time when the manga has just been re-released and the anime is just starting it's re-release, and the fandom has been re-energized and new people are coming into it... you're basically asking anyone with any intention of watching PGSM to GTFO
Not anyone, long time fans can be considerate and spoiler tag some things but at the same time I think it is also the responsibilty of the new fan to try to avoid spoilers to some degree if they don't want them. You cannot come into a thread about an old series and expect everyone to bend over backwards to accomodate you (which hasn't happened here so I'm not pointing fingers at new fans in this thread but it has happened in other places).
There are several levels of spoilerphobia of course and the fans suffering from the worst kind, not wanting to know anything, really should GTFO and make their own thread.

I've seen a lot of talk recently about how spoilerphobia limits discussion, and how it's immature because "true" artistic discussion cares not for minor details like "plot", but can't people see how badly it limits discussion or how immature it is to talk down to people and kick them out of threads?
That really depends on the thread, doesn't it? Sometimes spoilerphobia really does limit discussions, if a thread is made about Walter White's character development, actions and fate for example no spoiler tags should be used because it is a very specific topic.
If the topic is broader like this thread covering an entire franchise with several installments, then I can see spoiler tags being useful.

When spoiler tags are properly used, ...
Then I have no problem with them, I think I went a litte bit overboard with my "no spoiler tags" demand. They can be useful but too many people use them wrong by tagging things that aren't spoilers, I sometimes click spoilers and spoil myself accidentally because ten people before the actual spoiler used the tags to hide theories or jokes, it makes the tags kinda pointless if they're used too much, sometimes it feels like you have to click a spoiler tag to know if it's actually a spoiler.

Hmm, well I thought about this a lot today. So I can agree that, in discussions, MAJOR plot points should be tagged, especially for PGSM and the manga since a lot of people are unfamiliar with them. Generic stuff like Mamoru being Tuxedo Mask and the Naru/Umino relationship doesn't need to be spoiler tagged. The latter is just a superfluous plot point anyway.
That I can agree with, although I didn't quote it, it was actually the spoiler tagged Naru/Umino thing that made me freak out and I went back to quote the "MD" thing because it started it.

CorvoSol

Episode 5

So is Usagi's dad an actual human being or just an elaborate prank? Because if he's a real guy he's a pretty oblivious parent. Or apathetic. Like "Oh sure you can both adopt pets that isn't a big responsibility, no sir!" and then "Oh your pet doesn't ever eat? HOW COST EFFECTIVE, JUNIOR!" and then "WE ARE A FAMILY OF FIVE" (totally ignoring the sudden departure of Shingo's pet.

Also Usagi has to hide her face from Shingo when she's Sailor Moon but not from Naru. I guess Clark Kent can't fool them all!

MikeMyers

PGSM 48
jeHWTF6ttqoHY.jpg

Having absorbed Metaria
, Mamoru challenges Kunzite to a duel so
he can die with Metaria inside of him
, but Queen Beryl has other plans. Ultimately
Kunzite dies due to Beryl/Jadeite's interference, which means Mamoru doesn't die and he becomes Metaria.

Okay, I don't plan to be this spoiler-tagged heavy from now on, but this episode (and the one after it) are pretty plot-heavy. Anyway, I think it is amusing that I am finishing up in September, when I started this rewatch in May. The old anime coming to Hulu and Crystal really delayed this watch.

Probably! Ever seen Ore no Imouto? Saori is so pretty without her @_@ glasses~
Don't think I have heard of that, are you referring to this series?

Episode 5

So is Usagi's dad an actual human being or just an elaborate prank? Because if he's a real guy he's a pretty oblivious parent. Or apathetic. Like "Oh sure you can both adopt pets that isn't a big responsibility, no sir!" and then "Oh your pet doesn't ever eat? HOW COST EFFECTIVE, JUNIOR!" and then "WE ARE A FAMILY OF FIVE" (totally ignoring the sudden departure of Shingo's pet.

Also Usagi has to hide her face from Shingo when she's Sailor Moon but not from Naru. I guess Clark Kent can't fool them all!
Yeah, Usagi's father is mostly just there for comic relief.

MikeMyers

Hmm, would need a picture of her without the glasses to compare? :p

EDIT: Ironically, Ayaka Komatsu (PGSM Minako) just posted this onto Facebook:

10514529_778562658833501_8175343875130516833_n.jpg

eastx

Thanks Mike. That's the best solution.

Not anyone, long time fans can be considerate and spoiler tag some things but at the same time I think it is also the responsibilty of the new fan to try to avoid spoilers to some degree if they don't want them. You cannot come into a thread about an old series and expect everyone to bend over backwards to accomodate you (which hasn't happened here so I'm not pointing fingers at new fans in this thread but it has happened in other places).
There are several levels of spoilerphobia of course and the fans suffering from the worst kind, not wanting to know anything, really should GTFO and make their own thread.

I just don't see why you want people who are less familiar with the various Sailor Moon properties as a whole to not be able to enjoy this thread. Cheerilee already explained (correctly) why there would be new people coming to this thread. It sounds like to your mind, people who are new to one or more of the shows should just stay away instead of thread users doing the bare minimum to keep the thread inclusive. Empathy is a good thing to have.

Pluto

Empathy is a good thing to have.
I have it, I just don't care that much how you feel because I find your attitude to be off-putting.
Expecting everyone here to change their posting habits after 60+ pages because YOU don't want to be spoiled is selfish. You want it so we have to do it ... sorry, that's not how it works.

You're not the first person who hasn't seen everything Sailor Moon, others post here knowing that there's a chance they run into spoilers because that tends to happen if you come into a thread like this. It's not everyone else's job to hold your hand and make sure you're not getting spoiled on Sailor Moon in the Sailor Moon thread.

I ultimately even agreed with Cheerilee and MikeMyers that big stuff could be tagged but you cannot expect it from everyone, so if you get spoiled, suck it up! It happened once and it will happen again, it's inevitable.

MikeMyers

Don't quote me on this, but I think Episode #6 is the first one that Ikuhara was involved with. Also, I saw that TV thing done in an old WWF (now WWE) game I used to own.

PGSM Act 49
jHpDdKzugc7RC.png

Usagi kills Mamoru, Queen Beryl loses will to live, Planet is destroyed, Usagi destroys her powers to restore planet, and it's a happy ending!

I didn't write much here because I plan on doing the Special Act tomorrow, and thus will give my overall thoughts on this TV Adaptation here. I will say, today I thought about how much SM I've consumed this year. The remake, Sailor Moon R, Dark Kingdom on Hulu, re-reading the manga, etc. I was planning on watching S after I finished R, but then the Viz licenses happened and I find myself watching the first season on Hulu. :/

Ayumi

Ohh.. I just realized. :(

Gonna have to watch the next episode on Sunday, since I'm going on some GAF meeting on Saturday from 19:00. lol

MikeMyers

So Viz is legally streaming the first four episodes of the redub here. So I guess we'll just post reactions here, kind of like what we do for new Crystal episodes in the Crystal thread? There isn't anything too spoilery about the first four episodes anyway.

Oh, and new Crystal this week. Sorry you'll have to wait to see that Ayumi, but let us now what you think!

Christopher

In Crystal Clear Destiny why didn't Darken transform and save them? If Serena didn't revel herself as sailor moon they would have been bbq

MikeMyers

PGSM Act 50: The Finale!
i3xHC4faylje4.gif

GIF may or may not have been stolen from Kdash
It's been four years since the previous episode, and everyone seems to be doing their own thing. Ami is in America, Rei in isolation, and Minako is in England. Makoto is still hanging around with Usagi and Mamoru, but the couple are in despair as
they are getting married but are having arrangement issues

ibbcNEYFTbmect.gif

Meanwhile, Mio is in a predicament of her own as she
wants to rule the world, but needs a King by her side. As a result, she targets Usagi and Mamoru so she can make Mamoru her King.

ibgVraYzn9NWPA.gif

The Insane Clown Posses make their debut to this franchise by being
Mio's mooks
. But hey, at least it gave us awesome Minako moments. Anyway, Minako and co. join together to
gather the sword posted earlier so they can use it to temporarily gain their powers back.

imFkulcXMJBI8.gif

After Usagi, with the help of her friends, finally
defeats Mio who has transformed into some Hentai monster
, she finally gets her Happy Ending with Mamoru.

ib0aDDSCNDl7QC.gif

The other girls say goodbye to Usagi as she leaves. Also, Makoto gets a nice bone thrown to her as
Usagi throws the flowers and Motoki catches it, implying he and Makoto will marry next

Overall, despite some cheap production values, I enjoyed PGSM a lot. The characterization and development felt stronger here than it did in other incarnations. Now that I finished this, I can resume my watch of Revolutionary Girl Utena.

MikeMyers

Get ready!

Oh yeah, this Utena Episode #6 I watched totally reminded me of Sailor Moon here:

iBfRZXXkWg1YW.gif

There was also a Tekken-type scene of
a guy fighting a Kangaroo

EDIT: Huh? Does Minus not work anymore?

Hmm, apparently it is on Hulu too?

I wish they did the Senshi debut episodes, and not just the first four.

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/sailor-m...-dub-to-premiere-on-friday-with-special-event

check out Viz’s schedule for this upcoming week:

FRIDAY, 9/5/14 – 8:00 pm PST: Sailor Moon Dub, Episodes 1-4

SATURDAY, 9/6/14 – 3:00 am PST: Sailor Moon Crystal Sub, Episode 5, featuring the debut of the shockingly awesome Sailor Jupiter!

SUNDAY, 9/7/14 – 12:00 am PST: Sailor Moon dub, Episodes 5-23

MONDAY, 9/8/14 – 12:00 am PST: Sailor Moon sub, Episodes 35-36, feauting the fully assembled Sailor Team as well as the revelation of the Moon Princess.

All I see are two dub teaser videos. :/

Damn, the stream won't load on my Xbox One, so I guess I'll have to watch it on my computer..

MikeMyers

Hulu keeps crashing.

Oh, and I got an ad of two kids making out to the Dawsons Creek theme song. I remember when everyone used to do that back in the day.

Top Bottom