• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

tumblr_inline_msw7omFZ0B1qiw26m.gif

So I got my little sisters who are 5 and 7 Sailor Moon S1 P1 from Viz on DVD for Xmas when I saw them in Florida. Today I just talked to them and they told me not only had they seen every single episode, they watched it twice once in English and once in Japanese and it's their new favorite show. Apparently it's all they've watched non stop for the past 2 weeks. My sister and I first watched the show on Toonami when we were around that age and now I've been able to pass down the joy to the next generation.

Hehe. How fun.

MikeMyers

So in the manga, Minako mentions that it is well known that Ami posts on message boards.

Which one of you is secretry Sailor Mercury?

MikeMyers

Sailor Stars 196
jbsXdBEXWT1OQr.png

The Inner Senshi
die for the Starlights
which is a huge reach for me, since Moon has always been their top priority. Oh, and Saturn finally returns after being absent for so long.

MikeMyers

Sailor Stars 197-200
ibdmFtBkRDGnyv.gif

So Pluto & Saturn get shafted again, Uranus & Neptune still don't realize their ideology always backfires, and Moon spends over 10 minutes swinging a sword around only to
heal Galaxia instead
. At least the actual ending it self was well done.

Overall thoughts on 90s anime: The 90s anime brings a lot of visual charisma, voice acting, and music to the table. I enjoyed R the best because it had my favorite villains and didn't constantly focus on stealing something from anyone. The characterization was inconsistent at times, and by S I was starting to get really annoyed by the resetting of Usagi's personality. It also bothered me that the villains were mostly just getting redemption in the later parts, but I think the latter seasons still had their moments. I'm gonna take about a week break, then start up Golfdish Warning. Could be an interesting watch, since the directorial flair is similar to the 90s SM anime from what I have seen.

Ayumi

Alright!

My absolute favorite is of course Nardack.
She's Korean and has the most amount of top Sailor Moon illustrations on pixiv.
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=341433

Second favorite: Sami
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=1234667

And then others, in random order:
(Not all of them draw SM only, so you might have to browse their gallery to find it)

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=735155
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=220294
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=1014350
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=3767645
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=764051&tag=セーラームーン
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=189135&tag=セーラームーン

A lot of them use Twitter to upload super cute sketches that they don't put on Twitter too, like many artists do. There are more I'd link too, but a lot of them have only done like 1-2 amazing Sailor Moon ones. The ones I listed (most of them) draw Sailor Moon regularly/sometimes.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I thought it was really neat reading through Sailor V for the first time (I bought the new English versions of the mangas volume 1-12, both volumes of Sailor V and both volumes of Short Stories) seeing Usagi and her friend in a few panels. If you were to read Sailor V first without any Sailor Moon knowledge you would think it's just some random character in the background

Overall thoughts on 90s anime: The 90s anime brings a lot of visual charisma, voice acting, and music to the table. I enjoyed R the best because it had my favorite villains and didn't constantly focus on stealing something from anyone. The characterization was inconsistent at times, and by S I was starting to get really annoyed by the resetting of Usagi's personality. It also bothered me that the villains were mostly just getting redemption in the later parts, but I think the latter seasons still had their moments. I'm gonna take about a week break, then start up Golfdish Warning. Could be an interesting watch, since the directorial flair is similar to the 90s SM anime from what I have seen.

I love the 90's anime. Honestly Sailor Moon Crystal is just garbage in comparison (ugly art, terrible version of the feisty Sailor Mars, show lacks souls, etc.). I know you mention you didn't like how most villains were just getting redeemed. There was one where I was extremely glad it happened. My absolute favorite set of episodes are from 167 to 172. That's the first 6 episodes of Stars where Nehelenia returns. She's my favorite villain in the series and I was SOOOO happy with how her story ended :)

MikeMyers

Hmm, I wasn't trying to give the impression that I disliked the 90's anime. I wouldn't be watching Goldfish Warning! soon if I didn't like the original anime. It's just that there happens to be things about it I really like, and things I don't like, so both get talked about when I post. Like the villains redemption thing. I don't hate the idea of it, but personally it felt like it was getting played up too much in later arcs. Of course, you can feel free to disagree with me.

Oh, and I love the Sailor V manga too, and also agree with your criticisms on Crystal too.

Cheerilee

I thought it was really neat reading through Sailor V for the first time (I bought the new English versions of the mangas volume 1-12, both volumes of Sailor V and both volumes of Short Stories) seeing Usagi and her friend in a few panels. If you were to read Sailor V first without any Sailor Moon knowledge you would think it's just some random character in the background

AFAIK, "Sailor V" is where everything started, and then it's first few chapters sold well, so Naoko Takeuchi was asked to drop that small-time project and start work on the more-ambitious "Sailor Moon" in a bigger magazine from the same publisher, which quickly sold even better than Sailor V and pushed Naoko Takeuchi to new heights of stardom. But then she wanted to give back to the fans and character who helped get her there, so she continued making Sailor V in the smaller magazine as a side project.

So by the time Usagi appeared in Sailor V, most fans should have known who she was, and appreciated the cameo.

If you went into Sailor Moon blind and someone told you to read Sailor V first, then you probably wouldn't notice Usagi, but almost everyone with any desire to read Sailor V today has been introduced to Sailor Moon already, so the reference kind of works as it was always intended.

MikeMyers

Finished Volume 9. Honestly, people say the Pegasus story was very Chibiusa-centric in the anime, but I find that way in the manga too. Although I did notice the Dream arc is that there is a lot of character building for everyone, where as the SuperS arc these characters were mostly neglected.

Finished Volume 9. Honestly, people say the Pegasus story was very Chibiusa-centric in the anime, but I find that way in the manga too. Although I did notice the Dream arc is that there is a lot of character building for everyone, where as the SuperS arc these characters were mostly neglected.

Well, that's the thing. Even while it is Chibiusa focused in many ways everyone else gets their time too. It may actually be my favourite manga section for that reason.

MikeMyers

It seems to be everyone's favorite manga arc, while the anime version of it seems to be the least liked. I'll probably wait to I finsh Stars to rank the manga arcs, but I really enjoyed Black Moon and Infinite on my reread. Dark Kingdom still comes across as a bit rushed, even though I do enjoy it.

So I just caught up with all the episodes on Hulu. I don't remember if it was always like this, but...it kinda feels like they resorted to a lot of McGuffins to get outta hairy situations. "Oh here's object or ability X that we didn't really mentioned before that you totally can utilize to save your ass btw." I mean, is it mostly cause Usagi has no recollection of herself as Queen Serenity and all that she can do and posses? I'm hoping they'll calm down on this as she becomes more "awake" as her Sailor Moon self.

Anyway, I was giddy as fuck when the whole Chibi-Usa ball drop happened. So much nostalgia!

John Blade

Just wondering now that you can get sailormoon on blue ray, I was wondering if the old DVD set is still worth it. Right now, saw a majority DVD set which have 3 of the series and was wondering if its worth it.

Cheerilee

Just wondering now that you can get sailormoon on blue ray, I was wondering if the old DVD set is still worth it. Right now, saw a majority DVD set which have 3 of the series and was wondering if its worth it.

Maybe, depending on which sets. Also, are you looking for the Japanese audio or are you nostalgic for the old English dub, or do you want to try the new dub?

The first two sets (Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R, blue boxes from ADV) have "okay" picture and very low quality Japanese audio. They have no English dubs. They were amazing when they came out (in the legal sense, not quality), but there's probably not much point in buying these today. If you liked the original dub, ADV had a separate release for that (a stack of single discs).

The second two sets (Sailor Moon S & SuperS, from Pioneer aka Geneon) have okay picture and sound, and have the old dub as well as the Japanese audio (these episodes were visually uncut so the DVD is dual-audio). If you have any nostalgia for the original dub, then you probably want these.

The Japanese remastered DVDs have excellent picture and sound.

Fansubs are free and have the highest quality. And they might fit your ethics if you buy any of the above.

The new DVDs and Blu-rays are based on the Japanese DVDs, but Viz messed up the picture and they've been quite dishonest about it. Their Blurays are slightly inferior to the Japanese DVDs, and their DVDs are a mess. They might fix the problems in the future though (with other sets, they're not going to fix the ones they broke). Or they might continue to break them. If you want to try the new dub, Viz is your only option (until the fansubs get around to pirating the new dub).

If you're looking for an English dub (one or the other), your choices are clear. If you're looking for Japanese audio, it's hard to recommend either ADV or Viz, because they both have problems. If Viz's problems persist, the Pioneer sets will be a good idea. If the problems get fixed, Viz will become a better idea.

Sailor Moon R 28

That time when Luna and Artemis came up with a worse plan than Usagi...

So, Rubeus doesn't just want to win, he wants the ones who loses to suffer as well. He gets his comeuppance in this episode though. More Black Moon Clan characters appears, so there's still enemies to fight. Oh, and there's a sped up version of the THX logo sound for some reason as well :p

Conan-san

First time ChibiUsa starts to pull her weight too.

That said, if only Rubius had used that machine to
Train
then Sailor Moon would be a different, shorter story.

Oh well.

Bladenic

Sailor Moon R 27

Emotions run high. Almost some slapping there.

People get abducted by an UFO, Mamoru plays with dolls and Chibi-Usa does some parachuting so there's plenty of interesting stuff happening.

Really wish stupid Mamoru would've let Usagi slap the ever loving shit out of that little bitch.

MikeMyers

Anyone hear of Madman Entertainment? I heard recently they were doing a remaster of the 90s anime. Cant be worse than Viz, right?

So I just caught up with all the episodes on Hulu. I don't remember if it was always like this, but...it kinda feels like they resorted to a lot of McGuffins to get outta hairy situations. "Oh here's object or ability X that we didn't really mentioned before that you totally can utilize to save your ass btw." I mean, is it mostly cause Usagi has no recollection of herself as Queen Serenity and all that she can do and posses? I'm hoping they'll calm down on this as she becomes more "awake" as her Sailor Moon self.

Anyway, I was giddy as fuck when the whole Chibi-Usa ball drop happened. So much nostalgia!
Hmm, isn't McGuffin when they are looking for something but the narrative as a whole loses focus on that? Sounds more like deus ex machina you are describing, but yeah, a lot of plot points in the anime do feel like they were pulled out of nowhere. Gets more noticeable later on.

Anyone hear of Madman Entertainment? I heard recently they were doing a remaster of the 90s anime. Cant be worse than Viz, right?

They're the primary anime distributor here in Australia. They mostly licence shows from the big American companies so they'll likely just be releasing Australian region versions of Viz's stuff.

Yeah, I've just been and read and you're right that it does sound like they're doing their own version of things. Though on the point of Bluray it's a bit more of a "wait and see" statement so it might not eventuate beyond DVD.

Can't really remember the last time they did something like this rather than just straight up localising American versions and throwing their own trailers on. I remember the uncut DBZ DVDs being dub only through like the Saiyaman era and stuff because they were rushing ahead of Funimation so subtitle tracks weren't available yet, and we got the first set of Dragonball episodes that were held up in the US because of rights stuff for a while.

Then again I really don't watch that much anime so it might be a lot more common than I realise and I'm speaking from a place of ignorance/limited experience.

Cheerilee

Madman sub-licenses anime from whatever company owns the American rights, and releases it in Australia/New Zealand.

Late last year, they picked up Sailor Moon from Viz. They've got all 200 episodes, all the movies and specials, and Sailor Moon Crystal, just like Viz.

They're streaming the Japanese versions of Sailor Moon Original and Crystal, and some people have said it's the same stream as Viz's stream, which is based on Viz's Blu-rays.

They announced that they were going to be releasing Sailor Moon Original on DVD/Blu starting in 2015, and Crystal whenever Viz gets around to making the dub for Crystal, which is after they're done with Original.

Today, Madman announced...
http://www.madman.com.au/news/an-update-on-our-sailor-moon-release/

Greetings! Many of you have been asking about our release plans for Sailor Moon, when it will be available to buy, what masters we are using, etc… well, on the first point, we can now confirm that the first collection – consisting of 24 episodes – is currently planned for a DVD and paid digital platforms release on April 15, 2015. The first print run of the DVD will also include bonus materials, to be confirmed at a later date.

In an effort to deliver the best possible product we can – and in consideration of your feedback on the quality of other versions of the series available internationally – we have created our own release from scratch using high quality, remastered standard definition materials.

At this stage there are no true HD (high definition) materials available for Sailor Moon and we cannot confidently create a Blu-ray release that we feel would measure up to the high standards that fans of the show deserve.
Hopefully this will be addressed in the not too distant future.

We are looking forward to finally bringing fans in Australia and New Zealand a remastered Sailor Moon release!

Madman knows that Viz's DVD release is broken, so they're paying to make their own DVD that's not broken. And they've cancelled the Blu-ray, because it's not a real Blu-ray. That's pretty awesome.

Hmm, isn't McGuffin when they are looking for something but the narrative as a whole loses focus on that? Sounds more like deus ex machina you are describing, but yeah, a lot of plot points in the anime do feel like they were pulled out of nowhere. Gets more noticeable later on.

MacGuffin is a writing term for a device that moves the plot forward, because the characters want it for some reason. MacGuffins are used in just about every kind of story, sort of like how most stories have a "character arc", but when they're poorly written it's a common insult to start referring to a MacGuffin by it's generic description instead of it's given name.

It's like, do you remember in the first season of Sailor Moon, how the Sailor Senshi fought Bad Guy #1, Malachite, Zoisite, Kunzite, Queen Beryl, and Big Bad? Two of those are insults.

It's weird that feedback would be enough to make Madman go back to the drawing board and do it themselves instead of just using Viz's DVDs. Like, they looked at Funimation's Dragon Ball Z orange brick season sets and said "yeah, this is a good thing that we can sell" so.

Cheerilee

Madman said:
In an effort to deliver the best possible product we can – and in consideration of your feedback on the quality of other versions of the series available internationally – we have created our own release from scratch using high quality, remastered standard definition materials.

At this stage there are no true HD (high definition) materials available for Sailor Moon and we cannot confidently create a Blu-ray release that we feel would measure up to the high standards that fans of the show deserve. Hopefully this will be addressed in the not too distant future.

I just realized that "Hopefully this will be addressed in the not too distant future" means that Madman doesn't believe Viz's statement that "film version of Sailor Moon does not exist." Toei is not currently making it available, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Maybe it does exist, maybe it doesn't, but Madman doesn't believe that Viz and Toei have proven that the film has been destroyed by Toei and that no true Blu-ray will ever be made.

Top Bottom