• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

Fox318

I thought no saint's row game could be better than 2. I thought that volition had forgotten it's past games with the press that 3 got. I though that this was supposed to beer q cheap expansion pack.

I was so wrong.

Although I miss the talk stations from 1 and 2.

So is the consensus that it's a bit more than Saints Row 3.5? ;)

Loving the game so far. Almost done. WOn't be able to finish until Sunday though because I'm playing through the campaign with a friend and I'm out of town for the weekend.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Loving the game so far. Almost done. WOn't be able to finish until Sunday though because I'm playing through the campaign with a friend and I'm out of town for the weekend.
Depends on who you ask. I definitely think it's Saint's Row 3.5 that occasionally references 1 and 2 stuff, so people who liked 2 better will think 'oh it's like 2!' but it's nothing like it. Everything about this game just feels tacked on to me. The story, the characters, the abilities. And it seems insane to revisit one of the most lifeless open worlds ever created in a game.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
To me, the game is like a loveletter to SR 1-3, with all the reference and characters coming back (and rectifying issues from the past).

Finished the game late last night, really enjoyed the last run of missions (
From Keith's Betrayal to the End. Still held out the thought that the Earth's Destruction was a mind fuck with the character, but it seems to be completely true. Also would have thought they'd prepare the Earth via Time Travel, for the Zin, but instead they just kept on fucking with History :lol
).

All I know is, the game gave "The Touch" and "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" new life for me :lol

Had heard there were multiple endings?

iammeiam

Saints Row 3-2 for me, going by the FF numbering system. I'm loving it, and I think it has enough content to justify full price easily, but it still does feel a lot like a modified SR3 (and it inherits some of my irritants from 3 like no mission replay) whereas 1 and 2 and 3 all felt pretty different from one another.

Essentially it's a great game and a fun diversion, but I'd like to see the next numbered sequel change things up more than this one did.

Nymphae

Banned
Everything about this game just feels tacked on to me. The story, the characters, the abilities. And it seems insane to revisit one of the most lifeless open worlds ever created in a game.

This is the impression I get from everything I see, which is at odds with everything the media says about the game, I feel like they're describing something completely different.

I listened to the Gamer's With Jobs podcast last night and they were just gushing all over it. I'm constantly hearing things like it's just pure fun, there's so much to do, etc. The media said the exact same stuff about 3, ignoring the fact that the shooting sucks bigtime, the side missions/activites were shit, and the character creator was less comprehensive than the one from 2.

statham

canceled my preorder last night because it was released 3 days ago and the site still didn't deliver my code. Now I see nobody has it on sale. oh well. I'll wait a bit.

Caladrius

Well I know they are decent length, but that's not counting the loyalty missions right? Or do you mean 7 as in 7 main quests and they all have like 3-4 parts to them?

About 7 missions (but not quests) period, though the final one is a 3-parter with no saves in between. I'm not counting the loyalty missions. Don't take that as a hard number though because I was starting to zone out near the end.

Mrcapcom

Just got the DubStepGun last night and omg its so hilarious. I was playing coop with a friend and all we do is go around making people and cars dance. Love this game lol

Anyone got a Gif of the gun in action?

Just got the DubStepGun last night and omg its so hilarious. I was playing coop with a friend and all we do is go around making people and cars dance. Love this game lol

Anyone got a Gif of the gun in action?

protip: invest in upgrading the gun so it can go longer without running out of charge.

Mrcapcom

protip: invest in upgrading the gun so it can go longer without running out of charge.

O_O you can upgrade it? lol I haven't even gotten past like the first or second mission im too busy running around and jumping and freezing things with my friend. I upgraded the pistols a bit but ill definitely look into upgrading the dubstep gun lol Best Gun ever. Oh and I did a mission and used the black whole gun that was awesome too. Dubstep made me cry from all the laughing lol

Carm

So, I started my game over last night because I thought an upgrade changed my ability to do something but even without taking that upgrade it's still not doing it. My question is, in the simulation does using the push in right thumbstick move just not work at all? Punch in the nuts, melee weapon abilities etc. I assumed the super strength upgrade prevented it but no upgrades right now and the same thing. So The Rectifier from the season pass, doesn't work do any anal probing in the simulation? I just tend to super kick or punch now.

Edit: Well I feel a little stupid, I still don't know how to do nut punches, if you even can anymore, but I figured out The Rectifier holding right trigger sets it off instead of just pressing it.

Speaking of guns, I've never figured out how to buy them. In gun stores it only shows the weapons that I already have...and I did use the black hole gun in a mission but it's not in my inventory. What am I missing here?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The PC version could really beneift from some better textures. Still having a blast though.

Just finished Matt's loyalty mission. I can't help but try and clear all the side stuff before tackling the main story missions.

The PC version could really beneift from some better textures. Still having a blast though.

Just finished Matt's loyalty mission. I can't help but try and clear all the side stuff before tackling the main story missions.

its not something worth marathoning with how there is tooons of repeats of mission types...

and nearly all the side missions are terrible.

Best one for me are the upload virus ones or w/e they called where you fight waves of really broken character models lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So far, from looking at the internet, looking at possible endings

One where after sitting on the throne, Boss saids "We've got a Home World to settle/invade", and the ships start moving off into the universe. No Dance Party.

And one that matches mine, where the manservant comes out, says the Earth is gone, but you can go back in time and see it, then Dance Party. But it's different in the credits, because they don't show a bunch of drawings of various Saints doing stuff in History i.e. Giving Abe Lincoln a spike mohawk, walking on the moon first, etc. Mine did show these.

Wonder what determines these endings, and if there are more.

Matt

Did we ever get a consensus about which one was better between the 360 and PS3 versions? (yeah yeah get it on PC, I know, but need a console version too).

The activities in this game (like SRTT before it) just aren't a whole lot of fun. I like the main quests and the world traversal and the powers, but man... It's bumming me out.

atomsk

Party Pooper
started playing yesterday, is the NPC's glitching out supposed to happen? is that intentional?

like when they've got huge eyes, or super long necks, etc etc

Are there any challenges that should be tackled as soon as possible to avoid a painful post game grind? I read a bit above that the dub step gun fell into that category.

Fuck me, super-powered Insurance Fraud is some of the best fun I've had in gaming.

"We're really fucking high!!!"
Yeah, insurance fraud was already stupid fun in 3 but as with everything in this game, they cranked it up from 11 to 20.

It's amazing that, despite the premise, it's not as completely fucking stupid and an insult to one's intelligence as The Third was.

As I play this, I really wished Infamous had done superpowers in the same "fuck it, you're a god and can do anything" manner as this game, though. It's so conservative in comparison.

Trigger

lol, I love how ridiculous
Johnny Gat's rescue mission was. I haven't beat the game yet, so I'm hoping this isn't just one long dream scenario.
(late game spoilers)

Dresden

The side missions are lame and I only did the ones with rewards I really wanted (unlimited sprint, early dubstep gun access*, energy sword). Love the main missions and the super homie stuff, though.

*explosive wubwubwub upgrade is insane and I love it.

Just played for 45 minutes, that opening was so funny, the song had me nearly in tears!

Going to update my drivers get some food and then really get into the game!

dubq

I cant even get a bronze on insurance fraud. I just cant get a big combo. Help?

I just do a super jump and then ragdoll as soon as I land on a car.. from there, if your adrenaline is full, use the L stick to bounce your character around into other cars.. or on top of the same car over and over again. The higher the combo the faster you will get to the $ goal.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The side missions are lame and I only did the ones with rewards I really wanted (unlimited sprint, early dubstep gun access*, energy sword). Love the main missions and the super homie stuff, though.

*explosive wubwubwub upgrade is insane and I love it.

A full wub wub gun will make flashpoints and wardens trivial. A fully powered fire blast was already OP for flashpoints.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Easiest way to do insurance fraud is to hit multiple cars, bounce from one to the other.

The trick to mayhem mode is fences. Been that way since the first game.

Anyone else playing on PS3 and experiencing a crazy amount of soft locks and hard locks while pausing? Finished the game and had like five soft locks and one hard while going through, just tried to get all the collectibles and had to turn off the PS3 because it locked up again. Not gonna bother trying again 'till they release a patch.

Really enjoyed the game and was able to brush away the frustration while going though the singleplayer, but it's still unacceptable.

Top Bottom