• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

Amagon

I was gonna wait to buy this game but fuck it, just bit on gmg.com, and shocked that it let me allow to buy something from there again. Haha. Always had account issues with that site, finally glad its resolved!

BRING ON THE DRAGON DILDO BATS!!!!

Will there be any perks for importing your sr3 character?

I think what you import is basically just your appearance from SR3, not your whole character (so none of the choices you made in 3 or built up money etc). It's done through the same Saints Row ID account you had in SR3. A bit dissapointing, but I'd rather have what they did in this one which was to pick a canon story route like choosing the
save Shaundi
ending from SR3 so they can tell whatever story they intend for SR4.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm really bummed about vehicles being useless.

A lot of my time in SR2 end-game was spent just stealing random cars and seeing how I could trick them out in the upgrade shop. Obviously I can still do that but what's the point if it's completely useless?

A lot of my time in SR2 end-game was spent just stealing random cars and seeing how I could trick them out in the upgrade shop. Obviously I can still do that but what's the point if it's completely useless?

When the time comes that the superpowers get slightly old (perhaps after the story for example), use vehicles to traverse between the activities and such.

GamerSoul

Because you enjoying doing it. There is not much to it.

Shahadan

Never played any SR. Looks fun, where should I start ? 2 or 3 ? Story and characters wise i mean.

Start with 3 or 4 and read about the characters on a wiki if you want to. Not really necessary, but still interesting to know who they are and get a few more jokes.

Mrbob

Anyone know the cheapest place to preorder? Platform doesn't matter.

Platform including PC?

You can get SR4 and a bunch of pre order bonuses for $44.99 through Steam if you own SR3. Or there is a 20 percent coupon at GMG to make it $39.99.

Not sure about console versions. Amazon would be my guess since they include a 10 dollar credit with purchase.

if possible, you should definitely go for PC since it seems to be more stable than the console versions from what I've heard, and it also is getting official mod support

GamerSoul

Never played any SR. Looks fun, where should I start ? 2 or 3 ? Story and characters wise i mean.

like others have said, try starting with 3 since you'll see the immediate connections when playing this one. You can always give SR2 a try down the road if you're interested in seeing first hand the more grittier yet still entertaining roots of the gang.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Last 20 minutes of GB QL is them playing PC. It's a huge difference and all three make constant comments about it. Mostly just higher res and a smooth 60fps. The Xbox version they played looked really janky frame rate wise in comparison.

No real spoilers unless you wish to see a lot of the weapon and power up variety. Jeff does show off some post game rewards and late game arsenal but that's the gist of it.

SlickVic

Volition currently doing a livestream of Saints Row 1. Nice background noise if you don't want to get spoiled on SR4 stuff.

Is there an archive of this? May be missing something obvious, but can't find it on that page.

I wanna watch the Quick Look. Has anyone seen it? Do you consider it spoiler-y?

I watched about 20 minutes of it. Nothing too spoilery unless you want to go into the game completely cold. I decided to stop watching after that though since I didn't want to see any story mission gameplay.

DrBo42

Absolutely loving what I have played of this so far. The writing is fantastic.
The PC port runs and looks great.

Review copy? :(

I didn't even realize this comes out Tuesday as well. Took the day off for Splinter Cell and now I get to slap people with tentacles as well.

After watching the Giant Bomb QL, I can't help but think it feels like they went too far. I understand the appeal of giving you so many powers and giving them to you so fast, but it seems like they've eliminated most of the risk/reward from the equation. Climbing that tower was a total joke. You also couldn't see anything from the top. Is the whole game really at night? Climbing the tower in Crackdown was absolutely nerve wracking because there was real consequence for falling and it took concentration and skill to make it to the top.

Also kind of reminds of turning on all the cheats in a GTA game. That's fun for like 10 minutes but then gets super boring and dumb real fast.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
After watching the Giant Bomb QL, I can't help but think it feels like they went too far. I understand the appeal of giving you so many powers and giving them to you so fast, but it seems like they've eliminated most of the risk/reward from the equation. Climbing that tower was a total joke. You also couldn't see anything from the top. Is the whole game really at night? Climbing the tower in Crackdown was absolutely nerve wracking because there was real consequence for falling and it took concentration and skill to make it to the top.

Also kind of reminds of turning on all the cheats in a GTA game. That's fun for like 10 minutes but then gets super boring and dumb real fast.

I am similarly concerned. The endgame for SR3 was great because you slowly got godlike. Nothing even seems challenging anymore. If anything, this makes me look forward to GTAV even more (and I have always preferred the SR series).

Ploid 3.0

Platform including PC?

You can get SR4 and a bunch of pre order bonuses for $44.99 through Steam if you own SR3. Or there is a 20 percent coupon at GMG to make it $39.99.

Not sure about console versions. Amazon would be my guess since they include a 10 dollar credit with purchase.

I got PC something something edition on amazon for $39.99. Amazon is good at matching prices.

It looks like they were playing on normal or easy. I was waiting for them to change the difficulty since they wanted challenge.

Truly hoping that the superpowers don't ruin it. I want some challenge. All the videos I've seen thus far show the player laying waste to everything with ease. Also, I didn't like Steelport nearly as much as Stillwater; shame they are using it again :(

I worked on the powers and can say that it was a balancing act. If you play on Hard, it still isn't going to be easy.

I'm going to start on hard, because once I get comfortable unlocking upgrades and stuff it'll be hard for me to take them off. For GTA 3s I always waited a long while before I started using codes for the fun. In SR3 I only got unlimited ammo at the point where I was done with a lot of stuff, and only for the grenades, pistol and SMG. It looks like you can disable some of the upgrades via menu. The super powers seem powerful but enemies will be using some powers too so maybe only adjust if they are stomping you into the ground. I'll see how things go before I make permanent upgrades, but my guy will be a full out super powers dude.

I kinda hope a modder makes a action RPG kind of system where you are limited in what you can upgrade like Diablo, or a game with a tech tree. So you'd be replaying to experiment with different builds or making specific kinds of characters. Leon RE4 with only weapons, modded to maybe only be able to call one saint at a time for that survival angle. Goku who only use powers, can fly and hover (mod) and can increase his power effectiveness when he's collected a crap load of nodes (100000 added via mod hidden cleverly around the map, made harder to see from a far distance). SSJ3 eats up meter fast, you can't get unlimited energy to use power, and after it's gone you are weakened for a few seconds.

I'm not sure if this mod type stuff will be possible, but I'm just thinking about skyrim mods that tweak the gameplay Skyre (link to mod page) https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UfR2Sts6jXM&t=219

Heck the above mod in skyrim perfectly describe what I was talking about. Limit you on what you can upgrade, but makes you a lot better at specific types of skills that you decide to pick so you won't be weak for the limitation.

dreamfall

While I heartily enjoyed SR3, I don't hesitate to say that the pacing and structure of the game felt a bit stunted. Like side activities comprised a lot of the Story missions, as some sort of introduction to the game. I completed it to 100% twice, so I did them all willingly, but it still took away from some of awesomeness of the game's story.

Is SRIV like this? I mean, I'm going Day one, and I love the franchise, but I wonder about it. I think getting a taste for superpowers in Trouble With Clones really invigorated a love for amazing traversal over the drab city design.

And as for the complaints about being "too Godly" in some of the reviews, this is exactly how I felt in SR3 and I loved it. It wasn't about challenging gameplay or tactical firefights, it was about slapping people in the face with dildos, leveling to the point of taking no bullet damage, and falling safely from unexplainable heights! The more Godly, the better.

Not really. That's the only way I played GTA up until GTA IV (and that was only because cheats disabled achievements). Nothing quite like enabling super jump, super punch, flying cars and just wreaking havoc in an airborne Rhino.

Enjay

Banned

You can't use cars?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Absolutely. Kind of reminds me of another certain THQ published game(at one point), Darksiders 2. Where it seems to want to be 10 things at once and just makes everything jarring. I'm still getting it to see for myself, but yeah, when they reboot, they need to either go entirely in one direction or another.

liftedly

While I heartily enjoyed SR3, I don't hesitate to say that the pacing and structure of the game felt a bit stunted. Like side activities comprised a lot of the Story missions, as some sort of introduction to the game. I completed it to 100% twice, so I did them all willingly, but it still took away from some of awesomeness of the game's story.

Is SRIV like this? I mean, I'm going Day one, and I love the franchise, but I wonder about it. I think getting a taste for superpowers in Trouble With Clones really invigorated a love for amazing traversal over the drab city design.

Apparently not:
There are 4 forced activities that are appended to the end of the tutorial-style quests:
1 Blazing
1 Platforming Rift
1 Mind over Murder
1 Super Powered Fight Club

These forced activities are spread out over the first third of the game, so it isn't as annoying as it was in SRTT.
http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/idolninjas-saints-row-iv-review.3133/

I counted about
20 to 25
main story missions (not counting optional sidequests or activities or the few tutorial missions at the very start) and I'm glad to say that unlike Saints Row: The Third, activities are not used throughout the game to fill in for story missions!
http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/minimauls-saints-row-iv-spoiler-free-review.3128/

Top Bottom