• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

Thinking about Redboxing this game tonight. Will I be able to pick it up and start having fun within, like 30 minutes? Or do i have to wade through training segments and unlock parts of the city before it gets really nuts? THANKS PEOPLE WHO KNOW

Turfster

Thinking about Redboxing this game tonight. Will I be able to pick it up and start having fun within, like 30 minutes? Or do i have to wade through training segments and unlock parts of the city before it gets really nuts? THANKS PEOPLE WHO KNOW

You start having fun the second you boot the game, and it starts off nuts.

This was my first Saint's Row game and I loved it from start to Platinum.

A few annoying things here and there like the vehicle deliveries on some of the vehicles and a couple annoying glitches but I enjoyed it all. I'm on board and waiting for SR4 now because this game was fun.

This was my first Saint's Row game and I loved it from start to Platinum.

A few annoying things here and there like the vehicle deliveries on some of the vehicles and a couple annoying glitches but I enjoyed it all. I'm on board and waiting for SR4 now because this game was fun.

You should download SR2 and continue the fun if u haven't. :)

So what's the consensus round here on SR2 vs SRTT?

I feel like SR2 was the better game, especially in terms of activities and things to see, but SR3 has better mechanics.

CheapyD's an awesome homie but he's almost impossible to hear. I really hope they patch the game and make his volume at the same level as the player character, otherwise it's too easy to miss the things he says.

You should download SR2 and continue the fun if u haven't. :)

So what's the consensus round here on SR2 vs SRTT?

I feel like SR2 was the better game, especially in terms of activities and things to see, but SR3 has better mechanics.

SR2 had a better story and more content. SRTT has better graphics and some improved mechanics over the previous entries. For me, SR2 with SRTT's updated game engine would be the ideal combo. I had a lot of fun with SRTT, but I couldn't help but notice all the missing content from the previous game. Both have amazing co-op but still fall way short of the amazing versus multiplayer of SR1. I personally like SR2 the best out of the series, just so much to do and the best world out of the 3 games. When I can't even wear a hot dog suit in SRTT, I just could never give it the edge over SR2.

Trigunner

SR2 with the new engine would be the ultimate sandbox game. Who knows if we'll ever get one so feature rich and content packed again. The PC version is still light years ahead of the console ones, but it's a shame that even on my GTX570 i7 rig I have a decent amount of slowdown/frame rate issues, especially in indoor areas.

Lima

This makes me a sad panda. That part looked great.

Yeah I mean the stuff looks great. The panda looked kinda cool and this whole idea was so stupid to begin with that it really fits into this game. The execution was kinda lacking though. Controls were my main concern.

Has anyone been having occasional serious framerate drops in the PC version for no apparent reason? I'm running the game at 1080p with all settings maxed and usually getting 60fps, but randomly the game will freeze up for a second and then the framerate drops to almost nothing (I'd swear it's sub-1fps but I've never managed to have FRAPS open to check when it occurs). I can still move and the game plays but trying to turn even 90 degrees takes a couple of minutes, all the while the music plays normally.

The strange thing is that when it happens I can't pull up the Steam overlay or pause, but if I Alt+Tab out and back the game is up to full 60fps again.

Aselith

I just beat the Genki Bowl DLC and while it wasn't too long, it was fucking awesome! The Sad Panda game and the Sexy Kitten game are fucking so awesome, I hope they add more of them later even as extra paid DLC. I'd be down with paying a premium to have more of those.

Fitz

I didn't have any issues with the panda flight controls personally, just kept W held down the whole time, letting go and tapping S a little when I needed to slow down and lose altitude. Got the achievement for flying through all the rings on my first go.

I thought the controls were fine, I just didn't think the activity itself was much fun. And I generally love Pilotwings-style fly-through-rings type deals. The airplane 'races' in SR2 were much better.

Aselith

Yeah, I didn't have any problems with them. Are you trying to do all the rings or something? Because if you use the balloons to boost back onto buildings you can get the money target easily without going through them all. They're a little imprecise but I didn't find that I couldn't get them to go where I needed to go and consider what you're doing there, I don't think they should be super precise. It makes it a little more challenging if you have to account for your own acceleration when turning.

Lima

The controls are not hard. The activity itself was super easy and the controls were too. It is just that it was super crappy. I too played some Batman before and the flying controls are perfect in that.

Edgeward

The intro and end scene for Genki bowl was hilarious, would've liked more of that. And I really enjoyed Sad Panda, controls were easy and great to control for me and was great to see a completely new activity. There should've been more activites since that's all the dlc is. It's too short.

Aselith

The controls are not hard. The activity itself was super easy and the controls were too. It is just that it was super crappy. I too played some Batman before and the flying controls are perfect in that.

So why ask about the controls?

Calling in a Ball of Yarn homie is just hilarious.

Isn't suggesting to people they download SR2 (on the PC) a crime?

I wish they'd do a remake/port to the SRTT engine. (I can dream. Let me dream.)

He said Platinum, so I was assuming he had the PS3 version which has SR2 for free.

But yeah, the PS3 version of SR2 isn't something to write home about either, but its still fun enough.

Thrakier

So is the PC port shitty or what? I have to turn most settings to low to get stable 60FPS (even then it drops, 560ti@950mhz, i52500k@4.2ghz, 1080p). And the game isn't exactly nice to look at... :(

Also I noticed that there is a lot of micro stutter going on as soon as you drop some frames. Only 100% locked 60FPS are smooth, everything else is plagued by stutter.

thebeeks

Banned
So I just finished the story and now I'm wandering around Steelport doing activities for the hell of it. Is there anyway to get the city
to return to the way it was pre-STAG
? No
raised bridges
, no
smoldering aircraft wreckage
, no
zombies
, etc.

Hopefully there's some sort of mod out there that does all this and doesn't mess with the cribs/property I've got, I just haven't come across it yet.

So is the PC port shitty or what? I have to turn most settings to low to get stable 60FPS (even then it drops, 560ti@950mhz, i52500k@4.2ghz, 1080p). And the game isn't exactly nice to look at... :(

Also I noticed that there is a lot of micro stutter going on as soon as you drop some frames. Only 100% locked 60FPS are smooth, everything else is plagued by stutter.

Weird. It's generally thought of as one of the best ports of the year. The only major graphics issues were with AMD on launch.

Edgeward

So I just finished the story and now I'm wandering around Steelport doing activities for the hell of it. Is there anyway to get the city
to return to the way it was pre-STAG
? No
raised bridges
, no
smoldering aircraft wreckage
, no
zombies
, etc.

Hopefully there's some sort of mod out there that does all this and doesn't mess with the cribs/property I've got, I just haven't come across it yet.

The mission select mod returns the world to the state the mission should be in, so just pick an early mission and the places return to that state permanently until you select a later mission.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
He said Platinum, so I was assuming he had the PS3 version which has SR2 for free.

But yeah, the PS3 version of SR2 isn't something to write home about either, but its still fun enough.

Is SR2 for free some US-only promotion? I only got some Professor Genki stuff with my European SR3.

Also, for those starting the game, I found that the easiest way to complete the 'destroy 50 Emus' challnge was to find an Emu, drive it to your crib/garage, save it to your garage, retrieve it and blow it up. Rinse and repeat as needed until you've destroyed 50 of those little shits.

Aselith

You might want to update those drivers. I'm running on a stock AMD Quad-core 3.2ghz and with 560ti and the game plays 60fps always for me at max 1080p. How much RAM ya got?

Hanmik

I just got this game for PS3.. never played a SR game before.. and knew nothing about this game, except that it is a GTA style fun game.. So imagine the look on my face after the first 10 minutes.. WAUW.. that´s some crazy stuff.. fun and wild.. just up my crazy alley..!

Just made me an account on the site.. saintsrow.com .. but I cannot link that account to my PSN account.. has anybody expirienced that ..?

Thrakier

You might want to update those drivers. I'm running on a stock AMD Quad-core 3.2ghz and with 560ti and the game plays 60fps always for me at max 1080p. How much RAM ya got?

I have the newest beta drivers installed. 1GB. Which settings are you using? All DX11 feeatures? That would be weird, at max settings 1080p I can't get more than 45 FPS.

Fitz

I have the newest beta drivers installed. 1GB. Which settings are you using? All DX11 feeatures? That would be weird, at max settings 1080p I can't get more than 45 FPS.

You've got 1GB of RAM? I'm surprised the game even loads, the minimum requirement is 2GB, 4GB recommended.

Thrakier

You've got 1GB of RAM? I'm surprised the game even loads, the minimum requirement is 2GB, 4GB recommended.

1GB VRAM of course...I got 8GB Ram gerenic RAM. I get 60FPS with 1080p, 4xMSAA, first three options set to high and then the DX11 options set to low. With everything on Max I'm in the thirtys while driving and fourties while running around, indoors it can get up to 60. How you get locked 60FPS with everything on max @1080p with the same card but a slower processor is beyond me.

Aselith

Yeah, I have everything set to max. Preset Ultra. Game runs perfectly for me no hitching or anything ike you were mentioning, I can't definitely testify that it's running exactly 60FPS always as I haven't tested it but it certainly feels like it is.

275D0719E4A3E97A23D197CB513CEA2A695C484F

0D4C2CFA0338F99B6C8170D17E776C0F29A5B161

39011A136C59EF742BCE6C4519873E253940D5E2

Thrakier

Yeah, I have everything set to max. Preset Ultra. Game runs perfectly for me no hitching or anything ike you were mentioning, I can't definitely testify that it's running exactly 60FPS always as I haven't tested it but it certainly feels like it is.

Yeah, ok, that is that. I can tell you now that it's not running at 60FPS. Jeeeez, Gaf, sometimes...

I'm on the last mission right now and I don't want it to end. Everything about this game is just pure fun and reminds me of why I loved games in the first place. Easily my Game of last year.

Finally finished. That last mission was pretty long, but worth it for that awesome song.

I'm surprised they kept Gat dead though. I thought for sure he was going to pop up somewhere since you never see a body. And that one mission when Viola joins the Saints, I was sure they were hinting he survived during the cut scene. While they're talking there's a guitar player in between them. You never see his face and when they mention Gats death, he acts shocked and stops playing. I may have misread the scene though, since it never really went anywhere.

Fitz

Finally finished. That last mission was pretty long, but worth it for that awesome song.

I'm surprised they kept Gat dead though. I thought for sure he was going to pop up somewhere since you never see a body. And that one mission when Viola joins the Saints, I was sure they were hinting he survived during the cut scene. While they're talking there's a guitar player in between them. You never see his face and when they mention Gats death, he acts shocked and stops playing. I may have misread the scene though, since it never really went anywhere.

I reckon they'll probably cover it in one of the DLC, until then you'll just have to make do with
Zombie Gat. The scene with the guitar player was very random though, as it didn't go anywhere.

No it's not. Your framerate is unlocked, therefore you get microstutter. You just don't see it, that's fine. Read this thread if you want to know more: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459807

Microstutter does not happen with single GPU's. What you are referring to is tearing. The only game I've seen with noticeable high FPS 'stuttering' is Crysis 1/Warhead/2. DX:HR also has stuttering due to the game engine.

Microstutter does not happen with single GPU's. What you are referring to is tearing. The only game I've seen with noticeable high FPS 'stuttering' is Crysis 1/Warhead/2. DX:HR also has stuttering due to the game engine.

Just don't engage dude, it's for the best. He's either the most picky gamer I've ever met, or an eternal pessimist who is determined to make himself regret his purchase of a gaming PC. Either way, it's a trainwreck.

Edgeward

I reckon they'll probably cover it in one of the DLC, until then you'll just have to make do with
Zombie Gat. The scene with the guitar player was very random though, as it didn't go anywhere.

They already hint at it with the Genki bowl dlc in the intro scene
at the bottom of the news ticker there is a headline about a rumor of Gat being not dead
So it must be addressed in probably the last dlc Gangstas in Mars I would think. At least I really hope it is

Aselith

Just don't engage dude, it's for the best. He's either the most picky gamer I've ever met, or an eternal pessimist who is determined to make himself regret his purchase of a gaming PC. Either way, it's a trainwreck.
Yeah, check the post history. Literally thread after thread of him complaining of it for any conceivable game. I made a mistake by talking to him about it.

Q8D3vil

finished it yesterday with a friend.
it wasn't a bad game, i give it a 7/10

the shooting mechanics are very bad, driving was great and melee was fun.

the main issue with me was the bugs/glitches, there was just too many of them.

i played the pc version btw.

Thrakier

Microstutter is microstutter. It's an expression for "stutter, but only a tiny amount". I don't care if anyoned defined it as "SLI only". It describes what's happening when you play with an unlocked framerate. Same is happening in Saint's Row, though it's just a bit more noticable than in some other games. BF3 hides it pretty well most of the time f.e. - maybe the blur helps a bit, who knows.

I know what tearing is and no, I'm not referring to that.

Don't be so arrogant and polemic. I'm enjoying my PC very much now and with Portal 2 and TW2 I had some of my best gaming time in recent years. Still, there are issues. And yes, I am picky. But in a world there guys claim "it's a locked 60FPS at max settings" without even CHECKING the framerate (and certainly not beeing even close to 60) almost everyone seems picky.

Yeah, check the post history. Literally thread after thread of him complaining of it for any conceivable game. I made a mistake by talking to him about it.

No, you made a mistake by claiming your game runs at 60FPS while it's more like average 38. You even wanted me to install new drivers without even checking your framerate once. That's certainly not my fault.

Top Bottom