• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row The Third |OT| Oscar Worthy Gameplay

RotBot

I loved the Professor Genki episode produced by Tim & Eric as a trailer, but I think it was a missed opportunity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5O9x7aL7QE

The Professor Genki missions would have been much more interesting if instead of hiring Tim & Eric to make a trailer, the live-action content was integrated into the game as cutscenes before or after each Genki mission. Maybe the idea to do it came too late to be put into the game, but the Genkibowl DLC would have been the perfect place for it.

Mikeside

I loved the Professor Genki episode produced by Tim & Eric as a trailer, but I think it was a missed opportunity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5O9x7aL7QE

The Professor Genki missions would have been much more interesting if instead of hiring Tim & Eric to make a trailer, the live-action content was integrated into the game as cutscenes before or after each Genki mission. Maybe the idea to do it came too late to be put into the game, but the Genkibowl DLC would have been the perfect place for it.

holy crap, I never knew this existed until now - amazingly good!

Yeah, this really should have been dissected and put into the game somehow

Maybe I missed something but at launch, was Professor Genki suppose to be in the game? I have been playing this game for 70+ hours and before the DLC I only saw him once. It was my very first mayhem mission he came after me and kicked me in the crotch until I was dead. I retried the activity and he never show up again...ever. Was that a glitch and he wasn't suppose to be in the game or was I suppose to run into Professor Genki more often?

Maybe I missed something but at launch, was Professor Genki suppose to be in the game? I have been playing this game for 70+ hours and before the DLC I only saw him once. It was my very first mayhem mission he came after me and kicked me in the crotch until I was dead. I retried the activity and he never show up again...ever. Was that a glitch and he wasn't suppose to be in the game or was I suppose to run into Professor Genki more often?
It's totally random. I didn't see him until I beat the game, and then I saw him twice in one day.

Hixx

Snatch and Trafficking hard modes, the last 2 activities I have to do in the entire game, are sending me over the edge. Seriously draws out the very worst in the game (shit AI mainly). Is there a trick or is it seriously going to be pot luck on the stupid gits getting in the car without fucking dancing in Snatch and Pierce or whatever not completely zoning out and taking 2-3 mins to get back in the car when Trafficking??

Snatch and Trafficking hard modes, the last 2 activities I have to do in the entire game, are sending me over the edge. Seriously draws out the very worst in the game (shit AI mainly). Is there a trick or is it seriously going to be pot luck on the stupid gits getting in the car without fucking dancing in Snatch and Pierce or whatever not completely zoning out and taking 2-3 mins to get back in the car when Trafficking??
Pot luck.

If you have a buddy to do it with online, it helps in both activities.

Mik2121

I know I'm really late but... I bought the game yesterday and wow... the thread title couldn't be any more misleading. I'll try to stick around for a while, but the gameplay isn't really the best out there.

The cars control pretty badly. When you press the brakes if only for a second, it goes into full stop instead of slowing down slowly. It feels better than in Saints Row 2, that's for sure, but still not right to me.

The same goes for the character. I can't climb most stuff and because of that I've got stuck in a couple places already, with the only option to just jump down even though I should have been able to climb a wall (that wasn't taller than my character).

I won't get into the story and all that because it's meant to be kinda over the top and ridiculous, so it's alright. I also LOVE the customization for both the character and cars (though I expected a bit more for the cars, like decals and all that).

Anyway, I'm not saying the game is bad. It's good, but it would be way better if the characters and cars controlled a bit better. And the helicopters and planes too, yeah. I won't talk about what other game does it much better to me, because I don't wanna start a lame discussion, but yeah.. hopefully the next Saints Row will have better controls, that's the only thing missing in the game, for me. That and sandbox multiplayer with a bunch of people doing crazy stuff.

Edit: Oh, another thing that pissed me off a lot was how there was a bunch of stuff locked out for me because I don't have XBOX Live. Ugh...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Finished it yesterday. Had there been custom soundtracks, and had the world been as big as, or bigger than, GTA: SA, SR3 would easily have been better than any of the GTA games I've played.

Did anyone else really get into their SR3 character? I got really involved and kept updating her based on what happen in the story.

She started out looking like this:

As the story went along, I slowly changed her appearance. Added scratches, scars and other alterations as seemed appropriate, nothing silly. By the end of the game, she looked like this:

Hixx

Finished it yesterday. Had there been custom soundtracks, and had the world been as big as, or bigger than, GTA: SA, SR3 would easily have been better than any of the GTA games I've played.

I was actually thinking about this last night. In the end I decided the only GTA city I liked more than Steelport is Vice City, it (Steelport) has an almost perfect size imo. I just wish they had a better engine/hardware to do some of the more taxing areas justice. Hugely regret not buying the PC version.

I keep trying to play SR2 to get an idea of how much better the city is, but the control scheme and physics in 3 have really spoiled me.

I've never cared about achievements... well, ever, but this may be the first game I ever platinum because I actually want to. Actually for all I know, it may be the first game I've ever platinumed :p

Did anyone else really get into their SR3 character? I got really involved and kept updating her based on what happen in the story.

I have no shots to share, but my girl went from a busted gold plated stepford wife to a tatooed, gold plated version of Yul Brenner from Westworld.

Damn, you've got a lot of cash.

I have no shots to share, but my girl went from a busted gold plated stepford wife to a tatooed, gold plated version of Yul Brenner from Westworld.

Damn, you've got a lot of cash.

Awesome. If you get a pic to share I would love to see it.

As for my cash, I own all the properties in the game. I get like 46k every few minutes it seems. I've been playing this current game for 80+ hours. I really need to restart from the beginning and try another playthrough.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I am curious what people chose regarding
the zombies. Did you keep them or destroy the virus to get the mayor's help
?

OneLetter

I wanted to bump this for a reminder to the PS3 owners of SR:TT.

Each of you have until February 13th to redeem your Online Pass codes on PSN, which will give you a free digital copy of Saints Row 2. The last thing I want is people to miss out on a free game if they have the opportunity to grab it.

This applies to North America, Europe and Asia. I'm still checking on Oceania region (NZ/AU) just to make sure.

Combichristoffersen

Each of you have until February 13th to redeem your Online Pass codes on PSN, which will give you a free digital copy of Saints Row 2. The last thing I want is people to miss out on a free game if they have the opportunity to grab it.

This applies to North America, Europe and Asia. I'm still checking on Oceania region (NZ/AU) just to make sure.

I thought the offer was US only. Downloading SR2 now :D

finally finished the game.
really enjoyed it, but hampered by glitches.
i was expecting more of the final mission.

looking forward to Gangstaz in Space DLC (i think I saw that as one of the dlc)

Combichristoffersen

To get the gender equality trophy, do I need to start a new game as a female character, or can I just go to Image as Designed and change my male character into a female character and then play for two hours?

EYEL1NER

To get the gender equality trophy, do I need to start a new game as a female character, or can I just go to Image as Designed and change my male character into a female character and then play for two hours?

You can just change the sex at the IaD store.
I did that and changed from Male to Female and haven't ever been bothered to change back. I liked the male character I made, but I couldn't get him that close to my SR2 character, so I wasn't attached to him enough to keep him a guy.

Dead Man

Is SR2 for free some US-only promotion? I only got some Professor Genki stuff with my European SR3.

Also, for those starting the game, I found that the easiest way to complete the 'destroy 50 Emus' challnge was to find an Emu, drive it to your crib/garage, save it to your garage, retrieve it and blow it up. Rinse and repeat as needed until you've destroyed 50 of those little shits.

It will be in the PSN store for free, it is not a separate code or anything. That's how it worked for my Aus copy.

OG Kush

Finally got round to playing this properly. 16 hours in, really enjoying myself but its got to be said they've lost some of the good stuff that SR2 had. namely, the city. The city just isn't that good. In Sr2 I felt you could explore the city and have fun, find cool shit. In SR3 it's more about making your own fun by just blowing shit up and getting the cops/gangs on your tail.
I just miss that exploration and interesting city aspect.

Hey You

I hate that I had to earn respect before playing Missions.

Are we ever gonna get decent Mission DLC?, (Not trying to start anything here) but maybe on the scale of The Ballad of Gay Tony for SRTT?

I mean unless disk space was an issue, this should have been on the disk and available alongside the other activities.

Combichristoffersen

Are we ever gonna get decent Mission DLC?, (Not trying to start anything here) but maybe on the scale of The Ballad of Gay Tony for SRTT?

I mean unless disk space was an issue, this should have been on the disk and available alongside the other activities.

Probably not on the scale of Gay Tony, but there's the Gangstas in Space story DLC coming this week.

Combichristoffersen

Yeah, I haven't really look much into it. Is it atleast better than GBVII?

I don't really know anything about it, but wasn't GenkiBowl just a bunch of extra missions? Gangstas in Space is, from what I could gather, story DLC continuing on from the GiS ending to SR3, so I'd imagine the new DLC will be better than GBVII.

Facism

I already bought SR2, but i completely forgot about the online pass :/ Haven't redeemed it so i guess i've missed out on the online ;o

EYEL1NER

So the new DLC suck or what?

Hell no!. Just finished it/got all achievements.
Damn that was a good DLC pack. I mean, compared to expansions and new quests and stuff for other games, it wasn't huge or anything, but it was the best DLC so far from the SR series.
I enjoyed it a lot. I hope the next pack it also story missions like this as opposed to activities like the Genki pack.

The only part that sucks is now we have to wait for the next pack. I want it now...

Edit: It's 3 missions, but the missions are broken up into different sections. There is a mix of stuff like you encountered in the main story missions, so none of the things you do feel that 'new,' but they are all done well. I didn't find the story to be over-the-top funny or anything but I liked it.
The only thing I didn't like was that the new weapons introduced aren't unlocked at my crib or available at the gun store, so I assume we can't use them. I think some people may complain about the length, but I didn't have a problem with it.

I did encounter a glitch or something. I downloaded the pack from the SR main menu using the season pass and then booted up my game. Not only did it not load the new missions, but it didn't load any Genki stuff either. There were no completed Genki missions, Yarni homie, or unlocked gear at my crib. I ended up exiting and loading the game up again and the second time it worked.
Also, the 'land on the target with your parachute' achievement didn't pop the first time I did it. I landed right on the target and nothing. So I just destroyed my objective and tried again and it popped on the second try.

Top Bottom