• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sally Yates testifies before Senate subcmte re: Flynn/Russ today 2:30EST (livestream)

Someone enlighten me, how come a hearing that specifically focuses on the treason isn't possible? As I've seen and this and the other hearing it's always the republicans trying to shift focus on the real issue.

Because all congressional committees are bipartisan and one major party has no desire to investigate the possibility of treason, so it will dedicate its microphone time to distractions and trying to ferret out dissenters.

Ernest

Banned
Everyone screaming "this is huge", have you not been paying attention these past few months?

Nothing will come of this because the GOP won't let anything come of this.
Even if Flynn goes to jail (HUGE "if"), absolutely nothing will happen to Trump/Pence.

Vuapol

Clapper is just over this.

Q: Is it true that European agencies sent intel about Trump's associates to US agencies?
Yates: I can't answer that.
Clapper: Yes.

Fisty

Columbo wouldn't have asked such dumbass questions. He also would have focused on the important shit.

He would have asked stupid questions, but just to lull them into a false sense of security before tricking them into exposing themselves.

That being said, that guy was no Columbo

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The GOP is basically conspiring to hide evidence of treason live on television. And not subtly.

my gut says Grassley and Graham are doing more theater than they are actually colluding with the admin to hide treason. Gross, yes. But not criminally.

zou

Wait, is that the first time they confirmed that the Trump Campaign and Russia actually colluded?

I get this but is it not possible to bypass the compromised parties completely and have a hearing focus on the treason?

The FBI is probably doing that now if they haven't already, their investigation is probably our only hope of something happening unless another independent investigation is called for (not a chance in hell with GOP controlling house and senate though).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Clapper is just over this.

Q: Is it true that European agencies sent intel about Drumpf's associates to US agencies?
Yates: I can't answer that.
Clapper: Yes.

yeah, and he followed up with "and it's very sensitive"

I'm surprised he didn't wink at the panel.

Everyone screaming "this is huge", have you not been paying attention these past few months?

Even if Flynn goes to jail (HUGE "if"), absolutely nothing will happen to Trump/Pence.

There is a huge gap between 'nothing' and Trump and Pence being directly forced out of office over this.

For the umpteenth time, this is for public consumption and to give public light on information. The FBI is where this is going to end.

This is still important because of the public scrutiny and the hamstringing of Trumps administration to be constantly bogged down by this.

Magwik

Banned
The GOP is basically conspiring to hide evidence of treason live on television. And not subtly.

O0UjOJZ.jpg

Piggus

And how exactly will the GOP prevent anything from happening? We'll see what the FBI concludes.

It is you who hasn't been paying attention. Trump has already had a gigantic amount of setbacks. Hell, this very hearing is about their former security advisor having been ousted after 20 days, the fastest that has ever happened. And many WH officials are already implicated.

What's your precedent for "hugeness" not happening fast enough?

oti

Banned
This hearing is a hard to follow. The Republicans are only there to appease their boss, Clapper doesn't articulate his answers well enough and Yates isn't allowed to answer the juicy questions.

Sulik2

The good news about this, is if the Dems manage to win back the congress and senate in 2018 is there might be enough evidence to jail or hang some of the house/senators for obstructing treason investigations along with the Trump campaign's direct treason.

Maxim726X

This hearing is a hard to follow. The Republicans are only there to appease their boss, Clapper doesn't articulate his answers well enough and Yates isn't allowed to answer the juicy questions.

Would have gone down the same way were the roles reversed.

This needed an independent investigation, but the party in control wants no part of that. So here we are.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
my gut says Grassley and Graham are doing more theater than they are actually colluding with the admin to hide treason. Gross, yes. But not criminally.

that depends on what they know for sure, how involved they were (I think Graham is not directly tied to the shenanigans) and what they're attempting to obfuscate.

I get the feeling Graham has been approached and asked to buy the GOP time to get as much legislation through as possible before it blows up. But I think that in itself is collusion.

I get this but is it not possible to bypass the compromised parties completely and have a hearing focus on the treason?

Toeing the party line to this current extent was not anticipated by the founding fathers. There's way to just suddenly exclude one party from government functions when its unilaterally dedicated to obstruction.if the FBI investigation sends people to jail things might change.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Ahhh, another GOP stan is up... I wonder what kinds of questions he has...

Edit: Oh, blame Susan Rice for some other bullshit

Ernest

Banned
For the umpteenth time, this is for public consumption and to give public light on information. The FBI is where this is going to end.

This is still important because of the public scrutiny and the hamstringing of Trumps administration to be constantly bogged down by this.
I sure hope so, but we've been down this road already, with little to show for it, and this seems to be more of the same. I'd be happy to be wrong.

The good news about this, is if the Dems manage to win back the congress and senate in 2018 is there might be enough evidence to jail or hang some of the house/senators for obstructing treason investigations along with the Trump campaign's direct treason.
Anything that successfully undermines Trump and his cabinet is a good thing whether he gets led away in handcuffs or not, something embarrassing like numerous members of his cabinet or numerous advisors being implicated in collusion with Russia could seriously harm Trump's ability to get legislation through and his reelection chances.

Again, there is a large gap between nothing and Trump being throw in prison.

rambis

Banned

I've been paying attention to this since the initial Russian DNC leaks. It is absolutely huge the extent of which Yates tried to get the WH to act on Flynn repeatedly and they basically refused, tried to keep him and even deflect scrutiny from him. This Trump is a "lame duck" angle is growing thinner by the day.

Also, its not even assured that the GOP will hold power into the next term, this defeatism needs to die.

Top Bottom