• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godslay

Banned
I read that but many of us have gotten different answers from stores and even store managers. Mine said it was ok for off contract. Just wanted to know if anyone off contract actually got in on the deal.

Judging from what I've read on Slickdeals, you are going to have a tough time convincing them to sell you the phone.

Plus they added that verbiage I quoted on to the extended promotion period to avoid these issues, from what I understand.

As always YMMV and it's probably worth a shot.

Also it appears that some people are going into the post office to get a moving packet to get a 10% off Best Buy coupon specifically for this deal. Knocks the price down even further if you are looking to go this route.

goldenpp72

Is it possible to change the look of the OS in this? All of my text messages and such have an ugly blue background, otherwise nice phone so far :)

Ecto311

Looking into a new phone and some of the apps for drawing or sketching on the note. Is this a good device for that so I can leave the sketch pad at home? Are the apps decent and little to no lag on the note 4? Heard good things about the note 2 but never got my hands on one. Could I animate or export things from this to photoshop or sketchbook pro?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Is it possible to change the look of the OS in this? All of my text messages and such have an ugly blue background, otherwise nice phone so far :)
If you're using the default messaging app that came with the phone, you can change the background color by pressing the three dots in the upper right hand corner. Then go to display and you're able to change the background and the style of the chat bubbles.

goldenpp72

If you're using the default messaging app that came with the phone, you can change the background color by pressing the three dots in the upper right hand corner. Then go to display and you're able to change the background and the style of the chat bubbles.

Thanks for that, it didn't totally solve my problem as the top header is still that blue color, but it made the rest look better. Any ability to alter the header portions? It's in the contacts, etc as well.

Anyone's folders acting up in the app tray?

I keep making a "google stuff" folder and putting all the google apps in it, then coming back to find the folder empty and all the apps in the regular list of apps.

Zapages

Hey guys,

Is 65% left after 9 hour 50 minutes with wifi on stand by with no use (except for a few minutes) indicate good battery life?

I am just wondering?

Hey guys,

Is 65% left after 9 hour 50 minutes with wifi on stand by with no use (except for a few minutes) indicate good battery life?

I am just wondering?

So the phone was 100%, then 10 hours later (with no use) it was 65%?

No, thats not good at all.

I went to bed last night with about 90% battery. Woke up 8.5 hours later and I was at like 84%.

Zapages

So the phone was 100%, then 10 hours later (with no use) it was 65%?

No, thats not good at all.

I went to bed last night with about 90% battery. Woke up 8.5 hours later and I was at like 84%.

Yes, that is exactly what happened. The phone was 100% before I went to bed with the wifi on though.

I did use the camera a bit in the morning and do other simple things with the phone like to check a couple things. Also Google Play did some updates to apps in the phone, but nothing too crazy.

I was thinking, do you think S Health was using the battery during this time? Is there any way to have it not drain the battery.

Also I had Power save battery turned on as well.

cKo5OBv.png

bjscott05

Does anyone know the cheapest phone I can buy to qualify for the $200 trade in deal at best buy? They extended it to the end of the month and I don't feel like trading in my g2, since I might as well sell it.

kmfdmpig

Yes, that is exactly what happened. The phone was 100% before I went to bed with the wifi on though.

I did use the camera a bit in the morning and do other simple things with the phone like to check a couple things. Also Google Play did some updates to apps in the phone, but nothing too crazy.

I was thing, do you think S Health was using the battery during this time? Is there any way to have it not drain the battery.

I've heard that first update helps a lot with battery drain during standby. Have you installed that?

Layd Dly

Does anyone know the cheapest phone I can buy to qualify for the $200 trade in deal at best buy? They extended it to the end of the month and I don't feel like trading in my g2, since I might as well sell it.

I'm wondering this as well, so i can trade it into T-mobile for the Samsung promo, it has to have a minimum of $10 trade-in value.

Im trying to avoid trading in my wifes SIII since i can sell it free market for good coin.

I'm wondering this as well, so i can trade it into T-mobile for the Samsung promo, it has to have a minimum of $10 trade-in value.

Im trying to avoid trading in my wifes SIII since i can sell it free market for good coin.
I linked the trade-in value links for the big 4 somewhere in the thread, BRB, looking for post.

Edit:

http://www.t-mobile.com/DeviceRecovery/cell-phone-trade-in.aspx

https://www.trade-in.vzw.com/home.php5

https://tradein-program.att.com/index.php5

https://secure.sprintbuyback.com/cns/device_list

Here's all the apps that are in use since then:
What's your signal look like? Tap the battery graph.

Volotaire

Fixing up a OT like post, I'm not sure if it's any good. I think I will get a mod to replace this title and I'll replace the first post.

Please think of a name for the OT, witty or unwitty.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 |OT| On The Edge of Greatness

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 |OT| Edge Feeling Obtained

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 |OT| Living On The Edge

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 |OT| The Bleeding Edge of Technology

I ended up being able to do the best buy deal and got the note 4 in black pre-ordered.

Hopefully I'll be getting mine in the next shipment.

Brandwin

For those of you really bothered with the Bloatware, you can now "disable" those apps and it removes them from the app tray.

Gamechanger.
How does one go about doing that?

I've heard that first update helps a lot with battery drain during standby. Have you installed that?

Where would I check to see if there is an update?

The phone is great and like others have said, the screen and battery life is amazing. I came from 7 years of iPhone, so it’s going to take some getting used to, but I love it so far.

Where are you guys getting this stuff to customize and what Widgets or Apps are must have? What settings should be on or off?

I probably have most of the popular ones that I had on iOS.
Tapatalk
Pocketcasts
Pocket Reader
Fenix (my favorite Android Twitter app so far, but nothing compares to the greatness of Tweetbot)

I am using 1Weather and Hancent for messaging.

Any tips would be appreciated.

How does one go about doing that?
Where would I check to see if there is an update?
The phone is great and like others have said, the screen and battery life is amazing. I came from 7 years of iPhone, so it’s going to take some getting used to, but I love it so far.

Where are you guys getting this stuff to customize and what Widgets or Apps are must have? What settings should be on or off?

I probably have most of the popular ones that I had on iOS.
Tapatalk
Pocketcasts
Pocket Reader
Fenix (my favorite Android Twitter app so far, but nothing compares to the greatness of Tweetbot)

I am using 1Weather and Hancent for messaging.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Press and hold an app and there should be options that show up on the top, it will say "uninstall" or "disable."

The settings are up to you! coming from iPhone its a whole new beautiful world. So go in and out of every menu and explore.

As far as widgets and stuff, I like to browse the play store from work (play.google.com) and look through widgets and stuff. Then I can install them right from the browser onto the phone :)

1Weather widget is awesome. I love the way it looks.

I use Nova Launcher. It gives you FAR FAR more customization options than the stock samsung launcher does. You can still use the S Pen, multi window, etc. but you get all these new options like changing the icon size, grid size, icon themes, etc etc.

Best money I ever spent on an app. That and SwiftKey

I hope they fix the battery drain. It still very randomly happens with my Note 2. Happens for a few days then goes away for a long time. I remember one time it started again, I restarted my phone then when straight to sleep. Woke up 8 hrs later with 60% of my battery gone.

Homeboyd

NJ... I'm either picking this up or a i6+. Have used iphones since '07 but think I'm ready to jump ship. Went and checked out the note 4 yesterday and gaht damn it's gorgeous. Not sure how I'll take the eco-jump from ios to android. Is all the bloatware shit removable/hidable?

Ahhh really want to pick this up.

NJ... I'm either picking this up or a i6+. Have used iphones since '07 but think I'm ready to jump ship. Went and checked out the note 4 yesterday and gaht damn it's gorgeous. Not sure how I'll take the eco-jump from ios to android. Is all the bloatware shit removable/hidable?

Ahhh really want to pick this up.

Yes, you can uninstall or deactive any bloatware app that you want.

Dude this phone is great. I was running all iPhones from 1 to 5 and I had just had enough. I couldn't stare at those same rows of icons every day again and now they make a bigger screen but do absolutely nothing in the operating system to take advantage of it.

When I got my Galaxy S4 it was rough cause it was plastic as shit and laggy. This phone is a God to use. The screen makes you shit your pants and it has 3 gigs of ram! And you see about the battery how ridiculous it is.

Anyways, when I looked at how deep into the Apple ecosystem I was.... i really wasn't. Every app I wanted was free on Android. And the only thing I lose is AirPlay to my Apple TV ?? I can live without that.

All of the music in your iTunes library easily goes into your Google Play library and can be played seamlessly so you dont have to worry about that.

What else are you worried about?

Koppai

I still have not received my phone from best buy. I ordered the black one. Did anyone get told by best buy that the black ones were delayed?

Gritesh

I still have not received my phone from best buy. I ordered the black one. Did anyone get told by best buy that the black ones were delayed?
Greeeeat I'm in Canada and the phone isn't out until Friday but I preordered the black one through my carrier I'll be upset if I don't get it

Greeeeat I'm in Canada and the phone isn't out until Friday but I preordered the black one through my carrier I'll be upset if I don't get it

We were supposed to get stock starting the 17th. Its now the 20th and still nothing. I hope we get some for launch too.

Koppai

I haven't seen anything about a delay anywhere. Maybe best buy is trying to get out of the trade in promotion by delaying the phones...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My extra official battery and kit arrived today! For $25,its so worth it though I'm not really sure if I'll ever need to swap it since the battery life on this phone is already incredible!

Anyways, when I looked at how deep into the Apple ecosystem I was.... i really wasn't. Every app I wanted was free on Android. And the only thing I lose is AirPlay to my Apple TV ?? I can live without that.

All of the music in your iTunes library easily goes into your Google Play library and can be played seamlessly so you dont have to worry about that.

My music is all I'm really worried about. How easy is this move to Google Play? I don't have a Google account at the moment but I'm thinking of making a switch from iPhone.

Brandwin

My extra official battery and kit arrived today! For $25,its so worth it though I'm not really sure if I'll ever need to swap it since the battery life on this phone is already incredible!

I just swap my battery out every day. I charge the battery and in the morning I put a fresh one. Not sure if that's a good way to go about it or not. I don't think I've plugged my phone into a charger since the first day I got it.

Homeboyd

Yes, you can uninstall or deactive any bloatware app that you want.

Dude this phone is great. I was running all iPhones from 1 to 5 and I had just had enough. I couldn't stare at those same rows of icons every day again and now they make a bigger screen but do absolutely nothing in the operating system to take advantage of it.

When I got my Galaxy S4 it was rough cause it was plastic as shit and laggy. This phone is a God to use. The screen makes you shit your pants and it has 3 gigs of ram! And you see about the battery how ridiculous it is.

Not really worried so much as just knowing it will take some time to get used to everything again. Learning a new OS, etc... really want to make the switch though. Thinking about picking up a note 4 this weekend.

When do the new galaxy S-whatevers usually drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom