• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saganator

Kind of annoyed with T-Mobile. On the 15th I ordered a Note 4 and Sony Z3, Note is my room mate's and Z3 is mine. When I placed the order, the T-Mobile website said my order would be ready on the 17th (which I confirmed with one a T-Mobile Live Chat rep), a Friday. I check my order status around dinner time of the 17th and it's still being processed. I decided to call T-Mobile to see if any of the phones are on back order. I'm told by a representative everything is there, a shipping label needs to be printed and once that happens, the phones will be on their way. The phones could even be shipped that day and I could have my phones as early as Monday or Tuesday. Monday rolls around, I check my order status and it's still being processed. I call T-Mobile again. This time, I'm told the Note 4 is on back order and it will be up to 2 weeks before I get my phones. What the fuck? Like 3 different people told me the phone was there and ready to be shipped to me, now it's not? A big reason I did the purchase through online is because I thought I'd get my phones relatively quickly and not have to wait weeks. To top it off, T-Mobile won't send the Z3 to me until the Note 4 is ready. Not off to a good start with T-Mobile, part of me just wants to cancel the order and stick with AT&T.

Kind of annoyed with T-Mobile. On the 15th I ordered a Note 4 and Sony Z3, Note is my room mate's and Z3 is mine. When I placed the order, the T-Mobile website said my order would be ready on the 17th (which I confirmed with one a T-Mobile Live Chat rep), a Friday. I check my order status around dinner time of the 17th and it's still being processed. I decided to call T-Mobile to see if any of the phones are on back order. I'm told by a representative everything is there, a shipping label needs to be printed and once that happens, the phones will be on their way. The phones could even be shipped that day and I could have my phones as early as Monday or Tuesday. Monday rolls around, I check my order status and it's still being processed. I call T-Mobile again. This time, I'm told the Note 4 is on back order and it will be up to 2 weeks before I get my phones. What the fuck? Like 3 different people told me the phone was there and ready to be shipped to me, now it's not? A big reason I did the purchase through online is because I thought I'd get my phones relatively quickly and not have to wait weeks. To top it off, T-Mobile won't send the Z3 to me until the Note 4 is ready. Not off to a good start with T-Mobile, part of me just wants to cancel the order and stick with AT&T.

I once worked in a TMobile phone prep & shipment place. New big product launches sometimes get extremely hectic. In fact there's a unit completely dedicated to taking calls from people whose shipments get kind of 'lost in the shuffle'. Call them and they'll likely hook you up with some discount or swag. Make up a scenario where you dont have a phone and rely on the phone for business on craigslist or something.

Not really worried so much as just knowing it will take some time to get used to everything again. Learning a new OS, etc... really want to make the switch though. Thinking about picking up a note 4 this weekend.

When do the new galaxy S-whatevers usually drop?

April.

Saganator

So my post earlier today ranting about my Note 4 not being shipped when they said it would can be disregarded. The guy I talked to on the phone must've been wrong or something, because this morning I got an email saying my phones have shipped! Should have them in a few days.

Same. Waiting on a black Sprint version.

:D

G8AvV8m.jpg
Noy8fXb.jpg
lMdq2z6.jpg

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've been debating whether or not I should buy a case for this phone. I love the way it feels naked and the way the metal feels too. I feel that throwing a case on it will ruin this. Then I see the other side of the coin, why not protect it just in case? It's already an expensive phone so why not be cautious?

What are some good cases?

Schlep

Love the battery life on this! Battery right now at 61% and been off the charger for 18 hours. :)

Some of y'all must not use the phone at all, and/or sit inside all day. Yesterday I was at home nearly all day, so I got to 18 hours with 4 hours screen on time by the time I hit 7%.

However, the other day while I was out most of the day, I got to just over 14 hours with 2.5-3 (can't remember) screen on time before the phone died.

Right now I'm at 6h 51m with 1h screen on at 65%. Been on WiFi all day except for an hour at the gym.

Don't get me wrong, battery life is miles better than the S4, but moderate to heavy users should still charge occasionally throughout the day.

I like the note edge but don't like the fact that it has a cheaper battery, 3000mhA instead of 3200mhA like the note 4. And the fact that you cant remove the battery is a deal breaker. :/

And it seems to be almost the same price.

I guess I can just go with the note 4 but a couple friends already have it. But then again Samsung comes out with the S brand every 6 months and can possibly wait till then as my phone (S4) is still fairly relevant.

I've been debating whether or not I should buy a case for this phone. I love the way it feels naked and the way the metal feels too. I feel that throwing a case on it will ruin this. Then I see the other side of the coin, why not protect it just in case? It's already an expensive phone so why not be cautious?

What are some good cases?
OtterBox

Got my Note 4 finally. I dunno, it actually feels like it might be a little too big for me. Maybe I just need to get used to it. Probably would have held out for the S6 if my power button didn't get jacked up on my S3.

Also, damn Sprint and their spark icon. That shit is annoying.

Sid

You can't pause downloads from the Play Store on this thing? WTH,I'm unable to turn off the vibration on the stock dialler as well,can't do this on this phone either?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
OK finally gave in and put Nova. It's beautiful with the Android L look and animations. <3

JambiBum

Funny thing happened, I traded in my old phone and ended up getting a 200 dollar gift card for best buy without having to put anything towards the phone. The girl who helped me said that they were having issues with the cards going to the phones so she gave me the phone for free with my new contract and let me keep the 200 for the trade in.

Allforce

Funny thing happened, I traded in my old phone and ended up getting a 200 dollar gift card for best buy without having to put anything towards the phone. The girl who helped me said that they were having issues with the cards going to the phones so she gave me the phone for free with my new contract and let me keep the 200 for the trade in.

LOL so they gave you a 300 dollar phone, AND a 200 dollar gift card? Motherfucking bank error in your favor!

I got my Note 4 this morning, come to find out after playing with it that Themer doesn't seem to want to play nice with it. I get a "your phone has an unrecognized screen resolution". Too large? I'm going crazy having to stare at this TouchWiz interface, it's so...spastic.

I really thought I was done with the whole Nova/Apex launchers and doing all the manual setup of icon packs and whatnot. I might be diving back in though if Themer support isn't up to snuff. I've been spoiled by being able to hit two buttons and completely change the layout and look of my phone for a year now.

I'm so excited to get my phone! Won't be getting it until tomorrow though since I am going to a concert tonight. Don't wanna have a cracked screen on the first day lol.

Entropy912

Neo Member
OK finally gave in and put Nova. It's beautiful with the Android L look and animations. <3

Does installing a different launcher like Nova mess up any of the stylus support? Do you still get the same menu and apps when you hover the stylus over the screen or push the button?

Allforce

Does installing a different launcher like Nova mess up any of the stylus support? Do you still get the same menu and apps when you hover the stylus over the screen or push the button?

I tested it on Nova (just the free version). The little quick-note menu pops right up when you pull the stylus out just like normal.

The only things that seem to get affected are widgets. A few of the Samsung widgets can't be used with Nova. Unfortunately, that affects pinning a quick note to your home screen since it's actually a Samsung widget. That's the only real noteworthy loss I've heard about though.

Gritesh

Got my phone and i love it but the one thing that bothers me is that in the Samsung SMS app (the basic messaging app) its displaying messages weird.

The senders all show up at the top, and mine all show up at the bottom instead of showing one after another as they go through, if someone knows what i mean and knows how to change this please share

Pein

Banned
Goddamn t-mobile, called the store to check if they had a note in stock, they say that they do, walk my ass down there. Before arriving I reset my s4, get to store and they say it sold out yesterday.

What dicks, now I gotta redownload all my crap and enter in my info.

JambiBum

LOL so they gave you a 300 dollar phone, AND a 200 dollar gift card? Motherfucking bank error in your favor!

I got my Note 4 this morning, come to find out after playing with it that Themer doesn't seem to want to play nice with it. I get a "your phone has an unrecognized screen resolution". Too large? I'm going crazy having to stare at this TouchWiz interface, it's so...spastic.

I really thought I was done with the whole Nova/Apex launchers and doing all the manual setup of icon packs and whatnot. I might be diving back in though if Themer support isn't up to snuff. I've been spoiled by being able to hit two buttons and completely change the layout and look of my phone for a year now.

Basically yeah lol. I was just like well alright then, thanks for the free money and walked out.

As for themer, I actually tried doing the same thing today and found out that it's because themer doesn't support the resolution for the note 4 yet. I emailed their support and they got back to me pretty quickly and said that they should hopefully support the note 4 within the next few weeks. Touch Wiz isn't as bad as it used to be but I still really miss themer.

Koppai

So apparently Best Buy doesn't even have our correct phone number listed and we never received an email. I was able to call mobile support and give my preorder number and the lady told me that it says it is ready for pickup. She also kindly have me the order number for the phone. So hopefully I can just go in tomorrow and get it. Been waiting so long for a new phone ugh!

MrJames

So apparently Best Buy doesn't even have our correct phone number listed and we never received an email. I was able to call mobile support and give my preorder number and the lady told me that it says it is ready for pickup. She also kindly have me the order number for the phone. So hopefully I can just go in tomorrow and get it. Been waiting so long for a new phone ugh!

Called and they said my order is still "awaiting inventory" so the wait continues.

OraleeWey

I want to get this phone I've decided. However, I don't know if I should wait a little bit longer. Would this phone be discounted late Nov/early Dec? If so then I can wait.

So something happened with this phone yesterday that used to happen all the time with my Galaxy S4.

I was at work in a store with really horrible wi-fi and cell connection in the back meeting room. So I had to turn wi-fi off while I was in the meeting for ~8 hours.

Battery life was not good, as anticipated since it was searching for a signal all day.

I got home and turned wifi back on and connected to it fine. But over the next few hours the phone was bleeding battery percentage. I noticed it warmer than usual during that time period also. I went to bed with 80% battery, woke up to about 60%. WTF!!

Got to work (my normal store) and restarted the phone. Back to glorious heaven battery.

When my S4 used to do that it would get so hot you could fry an egg on it. When it was happening with the Note 4 it was nice that it was only a hair warmer than usual.

So something happened with this phone yesterday that used to happen all the time with my Galaxy S4.

I was at work in a store with really horrible wi-fi and cell connection in the back meeting room. So I had to turn wi-fi off while I was in the meeting for ~8 hours.

Battery life was not good, as anticipated since it was searching for a signal all day.

I got home and turned wifi back on and connected to it fine. But over the next few hours the phone was bleeding battery percentage. I noticed it warmer than usual during that time period also. I went to bed with 80% battery, woke up to about 60%. WTF!!

Got to work (my normal store) and restarted the phone. Back to glorious heaven battery.

When my S4 used to do that it would get so hot you could fry an egg on it. When it was happening with the Note 4 it was nice that it was only a hair warmer than usual.

Sounds similar to some issues I had with the Note 3, I had to create a Tasker profile that restarted my phone everyday at 3 AM to make sure the battery life was as good as possible everyday.

In your battery stats, do you see unusual battery usage for Android OS and Android System?

Got my Note 4 yesterday. Really like what they did with the new materials, using actual metal instead of fake chrome plastic bullshit. Screen is excellent. Camera is amazing...in lit conditions. As is the case with I think every other phone currently in existence, no matter how good, low-lit conditions still cause problems.

Not sure what's going on with the battery. Phone was 100% about 14 hours ago. With no usage, it's now down to 60. WiFi is on but location services are off.

Sounds similar to some issues I had with the Note 3, I had to create a Tasker profile that restarted my phone everyday at 3 AM to make sure the battery life was as good as possible everyday.

In your battery stats, do you see unusual battery usage for Android OS and Android System?

Nah, everythings fine otherwise, something just screwey with the cell connection being bad all day.

Got my Note 4 yesterday. Really like what they did with the new materials, using actual metal instead of fake chrome plastic bullshit. Screen is excellent. Camera is amazing...in lit conditions. As is the case with I think every other phone currently in existence, no matter how good, low-lit conditions still cause problems.

Not sure what's going on with the battery. Phone was 100% about 14 hours ago. With no usage, it's now down to 60. WiFi is on but location services are off.

Ok, weird: went down 40% in 14 hours with no usage but in the last like 5 hours it has only gone down 1% with no use. lol i dunno

Cad-Monkey

Neo Member
Picked mine up yesterday and it's such a huge upgrade over my gs3. Love it! Anyone know where I can get some high res wallpapers to make proper use of this screen? Preferably video game related!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom