• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For me it's down to one of these two Notes (kind of like the Edge) or the 5.5" iPhone 6. We'll see what Apple shows on the 9th and I'll make a decision. My plan is up in two weeks with Verizon.

Bgamer90

Banned
Didn't even occur to me that the Edge will be even harder to use if you're left handed.:

Bwna9s9IAAAChgH.jpg

mnannola

Why oh why did they not go with capacitive buttons for the Edge? Now if you are left handed the home button is stuck on the top. Design failure.

KevinRo

If you're complaining about using a phone with your left hand, a phone that no doubt requires two handed operation, then this phone isn't for you. Not only that, I doubt it was in your near future list of phones that you would even buy. You can tell the forum is skewed weird when the Sony conference thread has more posts than the Samsung Note one.

Damn. Note 4 is sexier than I was expecting... And that stylus looks legit improved.

Why can't anyone other than Samsung make this phone? I have a Note 2, and while I love the stylus for a use-anywhere sketchpad, I loathe Touchwiz, and I'm tired of rooting my phones just to make them more functional and less ugly. Also, fuck that hardware/capacitive button combo.

Raistlin

Chances aren't you wouldn't really be using that part of the screen when holding it regularly, so I don't see the fuss.
Think of it this way. I prefer a swipe-based keyboard. I am far more comfortable and fast using my left hand. That means I'm holding it with my right hand. That means I'm blocking the strip, or worse if it doesn't have smart rejection.

Even if it doesn't have any reject issues, I would still need to completely re-position my hold any time I need to use those buttons. This isn't some kind of internet bitching, it's realistic ergonomic issues.

Koppai

The curve looks ugly. Sorry but if Apple doesn't surpass this which they may or may not then I will probably upgrade to Note 4.

My upgrade is in October. Any pics of the other colors?

I'm a bit disappointed that it's rocking a 16MP camera though...

Note 4 looks nice. The Edge looks ugly because of that curve on the side. It would look a lot better if it were symmetrical with a curve on both sides.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
For the first time in my life, I actually want a Samsung phone :O

I hope HTC makes a phone with an edge screen.

Koppai

Hey so I heard that Sony chip makes the phone even faster than Snapdragon 805. Why do we get shafted?

No blue, wtf?

Ugh. Just noticed the Note 4 still has the speaker on the back. Could have sworn I saw a picture with it on the bottom. Must have been a mockup.

Damn. Note 4 is sexier than I was expecting... And that stylus looks legit improved.

Why can't anyone other than Samsung make this phone? I have a Note 2, and while I love the stylus for a use-anywhere sketchpad, I loathe Touchwiz, and I'm tired of rooting my phones just to make them more functional and less ugly. Also, fuck that hardware/capacitive button combo.
Ditching TouchWiz is fairly easy for the most part. I use Nova on my Note 3 and it alleviates most of my issues with the phone. Or you could always just use the Google Now launcher.

Both phones look good, even though I'm left handed I hold the phone in my right hand and jab it with my left so the Note Edge wouldn't be a problem.

- J - D -

The Edge looks great, but I can't imagine there will be a ton of apps that use the extra curved screen space unless the concept takes off. Or will it just keep the menu bar when an app is fired up?

Hatty

I dunno the edge curve feels like a useless "LOOK AT ME" feature that samsung always likes to use then throw away when its not successful like the galaxy round
But it may be useful I would have to get my hands on one to decide though

That only solves a small part of the touchwiz-ness. Notification screen/menu and settings menu's are still plagued with it no matter the launcher used.
I hear you, but I can live with that kind of stuff so long as tapping the home button twice doesn't launch their stupid Flipboard clone.

CronoShot

Wait, US carriers are getting the Edge too?

Decisions, decisions...

Come to think of it, how are cases and screen protectors gonna work with the Edge?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
ooh saw the "alarm clock" mode on Verge. Slick! Basically you can see the edge screen while laying down in bed.

yogloo

The edge is stupid. That's not how you innovate.
A lot of companies seem to be stuck with trying to claim the first to do something mindset. In reality, what matters is being the first to do something well.

nib95

Banned
The edge is stupid. That's not how you innovate.
A lot of companies seem to be stuck with trying to claim the first to do something mindset. In reality, what matters is being the first to do something well.

How do you know if it works well or not?

ZeroX03

Banned
- 5.7-inch, Quad HD Res (1440 x 2560 pixels) AMOLED display 515ppi

1440p on a smartphone screams overkill to me, even at that size. 1080p is 386ppi and that's already darn sharp.

and holy shit that edge gimmick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom