• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaiku

Kinda disappointed that they didn't trim down the Note 4.
Love my Note 3, smaller screens just don't cut it anymore, but overall, its size is pretty much the limit for comfort.

Hoping they trim down Note 5 next year.

nib95

Banned
Wanna bet?

Based on what? Subjective opinion? The last 4 or so Samsung products that I've used have all worked very well to exceptionally well. I have no doubt this one will work well too. Just matters if you desire the side tab or not, otherwise it's basically a Galaxy phone with an extra corner of screen real estate.

Kinda disappointed that they didn't trim down the Note 4.
Love my Note 3, smaller screens just don't cut it anymore, but overall, its size is pretty much the limit for comfort.

Hoping they trim down Note 5 next year.
Agreed. If I had a preference, I'd even take as much as a half inch drop in screen size along with some tight bezels. I like my Note 3, but it's pretty edged up on the maximum usable size.

No new Note 10.1 (2015 edition)? I am hoping that they have it at the show, but it is just a minor refresh so didn't need to talk about it at their press conference.

I basically want the new Tab S...but with the S-Pen

thefit

I like that edge. Case designers are probably scratching their heads right now on how to protect that curve.

Still on the fence between the Note 4 and the LG G3.

I have a Galaxy S4 now and I can't say that I'm sick of it or I can't stand it anymore. So I'm looking to go for something that is significantly better. Going with the G3 would be just for the sexy look and the .5" bigger screen. But I'm not completely convinced that getting a .5" bigger screen is enough "change" for me.

So that leaves me with the Note 4. I can't think of a million things I'd like to do with the pen, but I'm on my phone now a ton. Maybe I will love it, I love messing around with things and spending time on my phone, so that may be the "change" i'm looking for in a new phone.

I dont know, just some inner monologue here, but I'm leaning towards the Note 4.

ZeroX03

Banned
Always strive for better.

I dunno about that... higher screen resolution means more pixels rendered, requiring bigger specs and more juice required. I mean you could do a 4inch, 2160p phone but do you really want that sort of atrocious battery life when you can barely perceive the sharpness difference (550ppi to 1100ppi)? I think past 1440p we're seriously hitting diminishing returns on smartphones.

CrankyJay

Banned
Still on the fence between the Note 4 and the LG G3.

I have a Galaxy S4 now and I can't say that I'm sick of it or I can't stand it anymore. So I'm looking to go for something that is significantly better. Going with the G3 would be just for the sexy look and the .5" bigger screen. But I'm not completely convinced that I need a .5" bigger screen.

So that leaves me with the Note 4. I can't think of a million things I'd like to do with the pen, but I'm on my phone now a ton. Maybe I will love it, I love messing around with things and spending time on my phone, so that may be the "change" i'm looking for in a new phone.

I dont know, just some inner monologue here, but I'm leaning towards the Note 4.

You probably need to use the S-Pen to get the most out of the phone feature-wise, but it's still an almost full-featured phone without it.

Business

This edge phone is awful. The classic case of we have this technology, what can we do with it, instead of we want to do this, which technology do we use. As always with the first case, the result is terrible.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I dunno about that... higher screen resolution means more pixels rendered, requiring bigger specs and more juice required. I mean you could do a 4inch, 2160p phone but do you really want that sort of atrocious battery life when you can barely perceive the sharpness difference (550ppi to 1100ppi)? I think past 1440p we're seriously hitting diminishing returns on smartphones.

Not for Asian scripts.

CrankyJay

Banned
This edge phone is awful. The classic case of we have this technology, what can we do with it, instead of we want to do this, which technology do we use. As always with the first case, the result is terrible.

It seems plenty of people disagree with you.

At least they offered up the Note in two variants so you aren't forced into something you don't want.

Sid

For me the Edge is a gimmick which can turn into 'pretty cool' if given the right use,that alarm clock is a step in this direction.

kyongwon

Banned
AT&T releasing Note 4, Edge, and Gear VR.

my-body-is-ready.png

Majine

Banned
Is the point of the Edge that you're sleeping beside your phone and want a quick at-a-glance view without picking the phone up?

Because I'm not seeing anything else...

eznark

Banned
Is the point of the Edge that you're sleeping beside your phone and want a quick at-a-glance view without picking the phone up?

I'm guessing the initial concept challenge was "how can we make navigating large phones easier for small hands/women"

Looks to me like a potentially interesting idea and potentially greatly improves usability for a large portion of the population.

NH Apache

Banned
Is going beyond 550ppi and the effect it will have on battery life and performance really worth the improvement to readability for Asian scripts? Is it that substantial?

We have no idea how performance and battery life will be impacted. You're speculating.

What isn't speculation is that the processor is better to handle the performance aspect. And the screen is going to look amazing.

nib95

Banned

Edge indicated messages, alerts, menu's, buttons, scroll bars, tabs etc. Remember Samsung phones have split screen multitasking which has the task bar on one side, Edge basically just allows it to be there constantly instead of popping in and out.

Not writing it off until I try it myself, but I do agree the application does seem somewhat novelty, but it might be a nice addition for many.

I feel like I will bump that edge thing constantly and I think it will be a place that the phone chips first.

That being said, my Note 2 and Note 3 are the best phones I've ever had. Is the only difference between the Note 4 and the Note Edge the beveled edge thing? Weird announcement - I don't understand why Edge wouldn't be called Edgeless, and just listed as a feature on the Note 4. To call it a seperate product is confusing to me.

ZeroX03

Banned
We have no idea how performance and battery life will be impacted. You're speculating.

What isn't speculation is that the processor is better to handle the performance aspect. And the screen is going to look amazing.

I am speculating, but it's a pretty fair leap to make. A lot of the smartphones from the 720p to 1080p jump weren't ready for it and there were weak/uneven gains to performance and battery life as a result. Unless there's massive breakthroughs, other areas could end up getting shafted in pursuit of pixels (and I already think we've reached that point point). I just don't see the benefits to a 600ppi+ phone being worth what's required of it in other areas.

Even more speculation: the great specs will be hampered by shitty TouchWiz.

El_Chino

All things being equal, sure.

If it means poorer GPU and battery performance ... the argument is no longer so black and white.
Well it's also competition with the LG phone releasing in the same resolution and they say Samsung has improved battery life by 7.5%. Also, aren't snapdragon chipsets energy efficient?

Edit: also
But with a more energy-hungry, Quad HD display, the Note 4 should take a hit in battery life, won't it? We actually expect that Samsung will maintain the battery longevity from the Note 3 for a couple of reasons: first, the Super AMOLED display could have improved efficiency, and secondly, the same improvement in efficiency should come with the Snapdragon 805.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-4-and-Note-Edge-battery-life-and-size_id60160

El_Chino

How's the LG doing battery life wise? And well I'm sorry to break it to you but this just the beginning, in another few years or so I believe we will start seeing 4k screens on smart phones.

Lemonte

That's insane resolution for a smartphone. My note2 already has good enough ppi. But I don't mind since developing these screens just makes oculus rift better and cheaper.

Hiko

Banned
I see no point in the Note Edge. I already get lock screen notifications. So now I can see them by only taking the phone partially out of my pocket? Samsung is running out of ideas here.

Damn. Note 4 is sexier than I was expecting... And that stylus looks legit improved.

Why can't anyone other than Samsung make this phone? I have a Note 2, and while I love the stylus for a use-anywhere sketchpad, I loathe Touchwiz, and I'm tired of rooting my phones just to make them more functional and less ugly. Also, fuck that hardware/capacitive button combo.
I have been asking that question for years.

elyetis

I agree about that.

But for the sake of VR/oculus rift, psst let them do.

jstripes

Banned
That Samsung Note Edge looks like a college student concept render wank job.

It's a neat idea, but I wonder how practical it is.

How's the LG doing battery life wise? And well I'm sorry to break it to you but this just the beginning, in another few years or so I believe we will start seeing 4k screens on smart phones.

And with screen tech evolving like it is, we won't see much of a degradation in battery life. We will see when the Galaxy Alpha comes out what a low res screen + new super AMOLED will do for battery life and performance, but the answer seems to be 'not much'.

ZeroX03

Banned
I agree about that.

But for the sake of VR/oculus rift, psst let them do.

VR's a whole different ball game. I tried DK1 and that pixel density was awful. It'll see much greater returns from a 4k screen (with little/no battery concerns

Not talking about Samsung's silly thing though. Dedicated VR headsets.

I'm currently waiting on the iPhone 6 to see what it's like, but I'm having a hard time deciding between that, a G3, or Note 4 for my next device. It's nice to have so many good options, but the G3 in particular is pulling at me.

I don't get the Edge hate. I mean, like, why are people borderline angry lol

Sounds really useful for things like multitasking or checking small notifications. I'm also however afraid that I might drop it, and I'm the kind of person that doesn't like phone cases or screen protectors so that's a double whammy.

Syriel

You know what would be awesome?

A left handed version of the Edge.

FUCK YOU SAMMY

Eh, flip it over. :p

Thinking about it a bit, but the Edge is a great idea, but executed wrong.

Wrong as in, it would be great as a quick info/shortcut screen, on the top or bottom of the phone.

At the bottom would be best, if you put it down on a table or next to your bed, you can put important notifications and the clock on the edge, so you can see stuff on it right there. And when you put it in your pocket (I reckon I'm not alone in having the bottom up when I slide it in my pocket), it could be read by just opening your pocket a tiny bit. Phone buzzes, quickly check why and find out if you need to take it out or not bother.

Would be a great addition. Shame they put it on the side really.

Samsung already did this with the Galaxy S Continuum. No one bought it.

Biggest flop of the Galaxy S line.

samsung-continuum-i400-galaxy-s-dual-band-cdma-android-smartphone-verizon-factory-refurbished-24344.jpg

CronoShot

1440p on a smartphone screams overkill to me, even at that size. 1080p is 386ppi and that's already darn sharp.

and holy shit that edge gimmick
There's actually an advantage for AMOLED displays with a pentile pixel arrangement. Otherwise, as an LG G3 owner, I would agree.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Galaxy Edge is so based. I'm not kidding. It looks pretty cool and is different. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom