• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Emily Chu

Banned
That xhamster site was stuttery. It was also sluttery. Tee hee. Why don't you just watch the mp4 versions of the videos?

Try the main Ingress site: www.ingress.com
There is a 1080p version of the game trailer, it runs smooth for me.

ahh fuck it your right

the MP4 HD versions of the videos work perfect in firefox 17.0.1 with the plugins disabled

so w/e I guess :p

best phone ever.

also does Force GPU rendering help or destroy battery life ? always wondered that

Leave Force GPU Rendering off, all it does is break apps which aren't ICS-aware.

Amusingly enough, it fucks up scrolling in Samsung's own Email app. I like Samsung's email app but come on, update your shit!

moramo

Banned
Hello Guys

i want to get a Case for my note 2 so i'm searching right now which is the best Samsung official Flip case or should i search for another Case?

Thanks

sasimirobot

2012-12-23-04-38-45_zps12617f58.png

change shit up.

wildfire

Banned
quick question since I plan on getting one fairly soon on T-mobile, should I just get the normal tmobile version or should I try to get an international one? don't know if there's any difference at all(I'll be paying full price for either) except maybe faster updates on the international one? cause I thought these were mostly the same across the board.

There are differences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Note_II#Table_of_variants

Your only choice for a peace of mind is a T-mobile version SGH-T889

If you are shopping around and are frustrated in being unable to get that one your only possible alternative is ATT's version SGH-i317

I just purchased a T-mobile phone recently but I was looking at various kinds for compatibility purposes and I've only heard about one possibly working hack here.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2026569

Keep in mind that all GSM phones work on T-mobile but the ability to get HSPA+ or even 3G speeds is broken. So far only the software development community on ATT's version seems to have made something that fixes this issue.

Mook1e

So I'm seriously about to pull the trigger on this thing. I almost bought it on contract with Tmobile today. Should I just get the thing on contract for $369 or whatever and pay the extra $15 or so dollars a month over buying it full price ($649) and going month to month on Solavei or some other provider? I'm also trying to get my wife off of Sprint (hate the molasses slow 3g and no 4G or even plans for 4G in our area) with a new S3. I could move us both to Tmobile and get her phone for pretty cheap as well. I've been pretty dead set on getting off contracts for a while, but if the benefits are minimal, idk?

Enron

Banned
I like the stock camera app on this thing. I like all the effects and whatnot you can apply to the photos.

From the xmas lights show at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens, used the "Blue Point" effect on the stock camera.

8302140023_42822195de_c.jpg

darkwing

So I'm seriously about to pull the trigger on this thing. I almost bought it on contract with Tmobile today. Should I just get the thing on contract for $369 or whatever and pay the extra $15 or so dollars a month over buying it full price ($649) and going month to month on Solavei or some other provider? I'm also trying to get my wife off of Sprint (hate the molasses slow 3g and no 4G or even plans for 4G in our area) with a new S3. I could move us both to Tmobile and get her phone for pretty cheap as well. I've been pretty dead set on getting off contracts for a while, but if the benefits are minimal, idk?

do it

XLNC

Got this phone a couple days ago after I canceled my order for the Nexus 4. $50 on a three-year contract plus a $100 credit was too good to pass up.

darkwing

I thought about it. But, the thing is, I actually really like the Note 2 and some of the issues with the Nexus 4 (battery life) have kinda turned me off on it.

it's tough to kill the battery on this thing, I even have a live wallpaper now without fearing it will die on me during the day lol

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Loving this phone so much.

I do enjoy how much people freak out about the size. I kinda ruin their fun when I join in on making fun of the size and me obviously overcompensating for something.

Ocho

I always tell them their perception of the right size is wrong. They then use the phone, and completely understand.

Coverly

That's what we did. We were both on sprint and switched to tmobile. Bought both phones (Note 2 and S3) and got a $90/month value plan($101 after taxes and fees). Our sprint bill was about $150 with a 27% discount included, still expensive. The 50 bucks a month saved pretty much pay for the phones in 2 years. So free phones basically and right now if you're switching providers you can get $150 extra back from a mail in offer. The only thing I didn't like about the value plans is that it still locks you into a 2 yr contract.

Even though I chose the value plan, I would recommend the gosmartmobile 35 or 45 dollar plans so you don't get locked in a contract if you can live with less than 5gigs of 4g a month.

Hey guys,
I'm a Sprint user, my contract was up as of last month but I'm looking to renew (I'm not looking to move away from Sprint thats not an option).
I've got my eyes on this phone wheres the best place to get it?
I saw on Amazon its going for 199.99, does Best Buy price match? How about a Sprint store?
Where can I get this phone for the best price?

Hey guys,
I'm a Sprint user, my contract was up as of last month but I'm looking to renew (I'm not looking to move away from Sprint thats not an option).
I've got my eyes on this phone wheres the best place to get it?
I saw on Amazon its going for 199.99, does Best Buy price match? How about a Sprint store?
Where can I get this phone for the best price?

Sprint store doesn't price match.

Check Amazon, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Wirefly.com and Letstalk.com. Don't think Walmart/Sam's Club sells it yet...

Loving this phone so much.

I do enjoy how much people freak out about the size. I kinda ruin their fun when I join in on making fun of the size and me obviously overcompensating for something.

I just tell people who make the overcompensating joke that the big phone fits well in my big hands, and you know what they say about people with big hands. That generally shuts them up.

Random Hard Lessons Learned of the Day on this Christmas Eve:

DO NOT put a microSDXC formatted with exFAT accidentally in another device which does not support exFAT. microSDXC is technically backwards compatible with microSDHC so the non-exFAT supporting device will happily accept the card, not understand the file system, and utterly destroy it. I don't know who designed exFAT but I want to fucking kill them right now, because unlike all other file systems including original FAT, exFAT does NOT store a backup file allocation table. If you fuck your file system up, there's a good chance all your shit is gone. And all you need to do to fuck exFAT up is stick it in a device which doesn't understand it. Fuck you, Microsoft. Even when I use Android you still find a way to fuck up my day. Now I'm running data recovery utilities to see if anything can be recovered from my microSDXC. I hope to God I still can recover some photos I want. The rest of my data might be gone forever.

Gambit61

Anyone watch anime here? I can't seem to get 720p MKV h.264 videos to play smoothly. I know If I convert them to MP4 it'll play back fine but I'd rather just drag and drop. I've tried MX Player and DicePlayer with no luck :(

Edit:
Weird, guess it might just be the groups using a weird transcode setting. I tried another show and it plays fine.

Emily Chu

Banned

DO NOT put a microSDXC formatted with exFAT accidentally in another device which does not support exFAT. microSDXC is technically backwards compatible with microSDHC so the non-exFAT supporting device will happily accept the card, not understand the file system, and utterly destroy it. I don't know who designed exFAT but I want to fucking kill them right now, because unlike all other file systems including original FAT, exFAT does NOT store a backup file allocation table. If you fuck your file system up, there's a good chance all your shit is gone. And all you need to do to fuck exFAT up is stick it in a device which doesn't understand it. Fuck you, Microsoft. Even when I use Android you still find a way to fuck up my day. Now I'm running data recovery utilities to see if anything can be recovered from my microSDXC. I hope to God I still can recover some photos I want. The rest of my data might be gone forever.

wait can you even ever format back to Fat32 anymore or is the card messed up ?

once you formatted to exFAT and is stuck in exFAT ?

Emily Chu

Banned
Anyone watch anime here? I can't seem to get 720p MKV h.264 videos to play smoothly. I know If I convert them to MP4 it'll play back fine but I'd rather just drag and drop. I've tried MX Player and DicePlayer with no luck :(

try MXplayer and use hardware decoding not HW+ though just HW decoding

even 1080p anything works

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I just tell people who make the overcompensating joke that the big phone fits well in my big hands, and you know what they say about people with big hands. That generally shuts them up.

"How does that fit in your pocket?"

"Fits pretty well see, not like there is anything else in my pants to take up space OHHHHH!" I then go for a high five.

Cipherr

I'd ideally like to get it for 199 if possible. Amazon looks like my best bet

I would go with Amazon if they have it cheaper than Sprints website. Just remember, with Amazon, in order to get those lower prices, you agree to pay your bill timely, and not make any major changes to your plan for the first 6 months. After that 6 months you can do whatever.

wait can you even ever format back to Fat32 anymore or is the card messed up ?

once you formatted to exFAT and is stuck in exFAT ?

No, I don't want to format the card at all until I've gotten my data off it!

The key, it turned out, was custom recovery. None of the various data recovery tools on Windows could even understand the file system. Windows itself just asked me if I would like to format it, I was like FUCK YOU NO. Android asked me the same thing, "Your SD card is damaged, you want to format it?" and I was like AM I GOING TO HAVE TO CHOKE A BITCH?!

However, in desperation I rebooted the device into my custom recovery, in this case it's TWRP. I opened the SD card in the recovery's File Manager and gee whiz, all the files are there! So why the fuck can't Windows and Android see the fucking SD card?! The solution then presented itself: clearly the file system itself wasn't corrupt. Instead, I managed to only fry the boot sector, which is normally required to mount an NTFS or exFAT file system. This is probably why Windows and Android refused to accept it. TWRP for whatever reason ignores the boot sector and there's all my stuff just sitting there like nothing's going on.

From there, it was just connect the phone via USB cable to my PC, connect to the phone using ADB, and attempt to manually pull all the files to my hard drive directly. Wish me luck.

Swag

Saw this thing in stores, originally thought it would be too big, but dat screen. Thinking of going to buy one next week, but then I'll have to figure out what to do with my S3.

Question for Note and note II owners. What's the biggest difference between the two? I was thinking I would get galaxy 3 but since I got used to the big screen, I don't know if I can go back to "normal" size. Also I like to draw when I'm bored. So is it worth upgrading to Note II?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Weren't you the one telling me SD cards are simple and any issues I have with them can just be chalked up to me being dumb? Seriously, fuck sd cards. They're not enjoyable to use and an overall pain. I consider myself tech savvy and I would just rather not deal with these asshole cards.

Hope you got your data recovered.

Weren't you the one telling me SD cards are simple and any issues I have with them can just be chalked up to me being dumb? Seriously, fuck sd cards. They're not enjoyable to use and an overall pain. I consider myself tech savvy and I would just rather not deal with these asshole cards.

I wasn't. I never said SD cards were simple and I never said anyone who didn't like them was dumb. Someone else probably said that though, but it wasn't me. I don't particularly love or hate SD cards but since manufacturers refuse to give us decently sized storage (outside of Apple overcharging for 64 GB iDevices), there aren't any other options for people who still want to carry large amounts of media with them. So I strongly prefer the option to have them as opposed to being stuck with 16 GB of pitifully small non-expandable storage like in the Nexus 4 or the DROID DNA. Nobody said you have to use the SD card slot in your device if you don't want to, but I like having the option there, because I'll use it.

The problem I had wasn't even a problem with the SD technology. It was with exFAT, a proprietary Microsoft file system which they have purposely developed as a closed-source, patent-encumbered design so people have to pay licensing fees to use it. That's why Android doesn't support exFAT by default, it's something Samsung added to their own kernels. Which would be fine, except it seems that exFAT uses the NTFS boot sector and devices don't know what the fuck to do with that since NTFS is also a proprietary file system. It would be nice if the device that didn't understand exFAT didn't shit all over the boot sector while trying to read it and failing, but oh well. I tried a bunch of PC data recovery software tools and they all thought I had an NTFS partition on the thing and then shit themselves when they couldn't read it, because it wasn't fucking NTFS! There has to be something better than FAT32 for large flash memory media, but since only Windows can read NTFS that's not an option. Too bad, because NTFS works great for everything from mechanical hard drives to SSDs. But exFAT certainly isn't better than FAT32 when it counts. I won't be using exFAT anymore, Microsoft can go suck it.

adb pull successfully pulled all the data off my SD card while I took a shower. Then I pulled the SD card out of the phone, stuck it back in my PC, and finally accepted Windows's request to format it. This time I decided to use FAT32, that means no >4 GB file support but it also means I don't have to go through this Nightmare Before Christmas ever again if I do explode the file system down the road. Then I copied all the data pulled from my SD card back to the SD card. I finished this process around 11:55 pm. You could say I literally saved Christmas for myself with just 5 minutes to spare. All's well that ends well and a valuable lesson learned about inserting my SD cards deeply into strange foreign devices. My SD cards get strange diseases when I insert them into devices they just met.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
At least you got all your data back, you futuristic motherfucker.

antispin

Question for Note and note II owners. What's the biggest difference between the two? I was thinking I would get galaxy 3 but since I got used to the big screen, I don't know if I can go back to "normal" size. Also I like to draw when I'm bored. So is it worth upgrading to Note II?

I went from N1 to 2. There are a lot of small differences which add up, I am quite happy with the upgrade. The biggest difference would be RAM, the N2 offers a good deal more; the size, though bigger is more comfortable to use, the screen is miles better than my Note 1 too, just from a sharpness and quality point of view (I don't have those black smudges for one, so videos late night are a joy to watch). This followed by the software stack -- TW. Lots of improvements here -- this is the first Galaxy device on which I haven't immediately replaced TW with another launcher. But I believe the new TW stack might be available for Note 1 at this point.

If you get a good exchange price against your Note 1, like I did, go for the upgrade!

pretty sure that was me.

and my images and videos get backed up to the cloud.

~exFAT stuff~
the problem is some devices being coded to automatically do stupid shit to cards that are inserted for no good reason.

and my images and videos get backed up to the cloud.

What do you use for cloud backup? Suddenly I'm really interested after my near miss.

the problem is some devices being coded to automatically do stupid shit to cards that are inserted for no good reason.

I think there's plenty of blame to go around. They should really fix this before microSDXC and exFAT become prevalent, right now people who have these kinds of SD cards are still on the bleeding edge. If people constantly get their shit fucked up all the time like I did, they are going to start shooting/slicing each other.

What do you use for cloud backup? Suddenly I'm really interested after my near miss.
Google+ and Dropbox automatic upload and Jottacloud, plus i also manually backup with Box.

I think there's plenty of blame to go around. They should really fix this before microSDXC and exFAT become prevalent, right now people who have these kinds of SD cards are still on the bleeding edge. If people constantly get their shit fucked up all the time like I did, they are going to start shooting/slicing each other.
they can't make other devices not do stupid crap to inserted media.

Bboy AJ

I use Box. I got a 50 GB account for free awhile back. I just back up everything on there with Solid Explorer wirelessly. It's great.

Emily Chu

Banned
Google+ and Dropbox automatic upload and Jottacloud, plus i also manually backup with Box.

they can't make other devices not do stupid crap to inserted media.

heck... even testing a custom rom like PA on the note II dicked up my XD 64GB card
glad there was nothing that was on there that wasn't also on my hdd though...

can you even format the card back to FAT32 if it's in exFAT in windows ?

I've only seen two options in the windows dialog box NTFS and exFAT : /

heck... even testing a custom rom like PA on the note II dicked up my XD 64GB card
glad there was nothing that was on there that wasn't also on my hdd though...

can you even format the card back to FAT32 if it's in exFAT in windows ?

I've only seen two options in the windows dialog box NTFS and exFAT : /

yeah a flash drive larger than 32GB is only going to have NTFS and exFAT options in Windows.

you either have to use the command line or a 3rd party app like the HP USB Format Tool

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Bastard fam dug out the ol' Wii box, hid Galaxy Note box inside, and wrapped it up. They got me good.
Thing is incredible. Pen is so responsive it even makes my old Cintiq feel a bit behind. Theres like one bottom corner of the screen where it goes skewiffy, but thats the way with all digitisers really.

Beasted the thing with a live wallpaper or two and NFS Most Wanted since it was like 79p so what the fuck eh? Will dig into what between Sketchbook Mobile (no Pro is dumb, get on it and make a Note exclusive version Adobe), LayerPaint and Infinite Painter is the best app for my sketchin' desires.

Whats the best way to install Flash on this beast? And what else do I do. CHRISTMAS GADGET. MUST TINKER.

Bastard fam dug out the ol' Wii box, hid Galaxy Note box inside, and wrapped it up. They got me good.

Thing is incredible. Pen is so responsive it even makes my old Cintiq feel a bit behind. Theres like one bottom corner of the screen where it goes skewiffy, but thats the way with all digitisers really.

Beasted the thing with a live wallpaper or two and NFS Most Wanted since it was like 79p so what the fuck eh? Will dig into what between Sketchbook Mobile (no Pro is dumb, get on it and make a Note exclusive version Adobe), LayerPaint and Infinite Painter is the best app for my sketchin' desires.

Whats the best way to install Flash on this beast? And what else do I do. CHRISTMAS GADGET. MUST TINKER.
congrats on having a BEST FAMILY!

Flash (scroll down): http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

Top Bottom