• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Got one of these for Christmas, it's the most amazing device I've ever witnessed.

Everyone at work laughed at the size, played with it, became amazed. A group of managers even decided to put a powerpoint together to convince the owner to switch from iPhones to Notes for company phones (not likely to work because the owner is not very tech savvy and also a huge Apple fan).

This phone, so good.

dejay

Banned
Got one of these for Christmas, it's the most amazing device I've ever witnessed.

Everyone at work laughed at the size, played with it, became amazed. A group of managers even decided to put a powerpoint together to convince the owner to switch from iPhones to Notes for company phones (not likely to work because the owner is not very tech savvy and also a huge Apple fan).

This phone, so good.

I've had mine for a number of months. I have the whole office trying to get their managers to expense them one, even though our official company phone is the GS2. I got offered a phone and I said just give me a chip - I laugh at everyone at work hunting for chargers during the day.

Emily Chu

Banned
I've had mine for a number of months. I have the whole office trying to get their managers to expense them one, even though our official company phone is the GS2. I got offered a phone and I said just give me a chip - I laugh at everyone at work hunting for chargers during the day.

nwccC.png

FUCKING GLORIOUS WHEN I GET 7-8HRS ONSCREEN TIME with 4G unlimited on VS THE 1-2 on my old now sold off galaxy nexus.

MASTER RACE

So my iPhone 4S just sold on eBay and I'm looking for a new phone. I think I'm over iPhone and iOS and this is probably the phone that I've seen come up the most when looking for the new hotness.

Sell me! Why should I get this phone? also, I have a Nexus 7 32gb that I just got, which I really like, so I'm totally happy with Android. I would sell off my Nexus 7 if the two devices serve the same purpose.

So my iPhone 4S just sold on eBay and I'm looking for a new phone. I think I'm over iPhone and iOS and this is probably the phone that I've seen come up the most when looking for the new hotness.

Sell me! Why should I get this phone? also, I have a Nexus 7 32gb that I just got, which I really like, so I'm totally happy with Android. I would sell off my Nexus 7 if the two devices serve the same purpose.

get an Apple 5. they have the Google Maps now.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/edzitron/2012/12/28/galaxynote2/

Alcibiades

Really digging the screen size on this thing. I've even had the "can't believe how small everything else is" moment when I looked at my dad's iPod Touch. I used to have one and even used it for reading a couple of ebooks and I can't believe I used a screen that small for that.

Emily Chu

Banned

I did just that and sold off my N7 before I even had this phone

Its just an all in one package

What I really wanted was a huge as screen phone with amazing battery life on 4G

S-pen is really the icing on the cake

And niether my galaxy nexus and nexus 7 had none of those seperately

I sold both my gnex and n7 and got a note 2.

Mesoian

Alright, I'm picking mine up tomorrow.

Really wish there was a deal going on tomorrow...

I have big hands. This'll be fine, right?

Merino

Got one today. It's huge but it also has everything that was missing on my Iphone3GS.

Since it's my first android device I can use some good advice on setting my device up the way I want to. Comming of the extremely restrictive IOS platform I'm a bit swamped in options suddenly.

Despite it being a size in between the smartphone and mini-tablet I'll probably will also get an iPad mini with the next release simply to gain back access to the ios appstore. Too bad there's so many games and apps that do not get a release on Android.

Cipherr

Got one today. It's huge but it also has everything that was missing on my Iphone3GS.

Since it's my first android device I can use some good advice on setting my device up the way I want to. Comming of the extremely restrictive IOS platform I'm a bit swamped in options suddenly.

Welp, to start, just use it a while. There's tons of options and things you can change, but you don't have too. I recommend using it, and making a mental note of anything you try to do and cant, and a mental note of things you dislike. Once you have owned it a bit, toss us your list and we can point you to the options/apps that will fix those things.

It may turn out that you are fine with it just the way it is. In that case, no need to really tinker unless you are curious.

Mideon

Friends at work laughing at me about the size. Every other phone feels tiny now. Loving this phone regardless of the people at work the screen size is perfect for me.

snacknuts

we all knew her
A friend of mine got one of these a few days ago and I got to play with it. I have to have one. I'm probably just going to order it off contract from Amazon for $699 unless you guys know of a better price somewhere (I need a Verizon model).

Dead

well not really...yet
This thing + galaxy pack live wallpapers = staring into the eye of the universe

how did I ever survive with a phone smaller than this

Why is the headphone jack on top? : S

Heck I'm using the phone upside down right now with all rotations enabled :p

Yeah this bugged me too when I got it. It just makes too much sense for the headphone jack to be on the bottom for anybody else to do it, I guess. I got so used to having it on the bottom on my old Galaxy Nexus. Since then Apple has moved the headphone jack to the bottom on the iP5. Maybe Samsung will copy Apple copying them and move it to the bottom again on the Note III.

Carton

My Note came to an unfortunate end after a friend dropped it, so now i have one of these bad boys on the way. I'm especially looking forward to the amazing battery life as it wasn't a rare occasion where i'd have to sacrifice screen brightness or be a little more conservative than i'd have liked (especially web browsing) in order to see the original Note through a long day.

Ugh! Something is really screwing with my battery life today. I'm losing about 1 percent power for about a minute of use!

It wasn't like this yesterday :(

The Galaxy S3 is the greatest phone I've owned.

Today I took a leap of faith a upgraded to the Note 2.....Sweet Jesus, its GLORIOUS. It's probably one of my best electronic purchases ever!

So my friend got this. My iPhone 5 seems like something out of 2004 compared to this. So outdated; Apple's interface is...

Wait until he shows you how you can have apps running on Android with any limits until physical memory is exhausted, with all apps running in at once for true multitasking. Or how any app can share it's data with any other app using Android's Intents system. Or how any app can be set as the default app to be launched by any other app to handle any data type.

Also, the Android launcher and home screen blows static grid of icons away. You can customize it and put anything on it you want. And yeah, widgets.

Then he might show you the Multi-Window feature that lets you run two apps at once with split-screening. And then he might pull the S-Pen out and draw you something or jot down a quick note while he's on a phone call. It's like he's living in the future compared to an iPhone.

Emily Chu

Banned
fuck, I think I need a new Otterbox defender case

I spent a couple of hours at starbucks and now the case reeks of bitter coffee... : (

Bleh

Merino

Ok this sucks. Only had the device for a day and already it's not working properly.

When connecting the Note 2 with the official usb cable my windows computer says USB device not recognized.

I've googled the problem and tried every suggested sollution but haven't gotten it to work yet.
Yesterday evening everything was fine and I was able to copy a movie onto the phone by having it hooked up through USB.

Anyway familiar with this issue?

Wait until he shows you how you can have apps running on Android with any limits until physical memory is exhausted, with all apps running in at once for true multitasking. Or how any app can share it's data with any other app using Android's Intents system. Or how any app can be set as the default app to be launched by any other app to handle any data type.

Also, the Android launcher and home screen blows static grid of icons away. You can customize it and put anything on it you want. And yeah, widgets.

Then he might show you the Multi-Window feature that lets you run two apps at once with split-screening. And then he might pull the S-Pen out and draw you something or jot down a quick note while he's on a phone call. It's like he's living in the future compared to an iPhone.

Yep. I saw all of it. All of it! I want it! NOW!

Merino

Ok a friend just came over with a spare microUSB-USB cable and that one actually did work.

So clearly the usb cable that came with the device is faulty. Will probably drop by the store tomorrow afternoon during break from work to get a replacement cable.

Crisis averted.

So, it's day 2 for me living in the future. Coming home from work yesterday, some young kid in the elevator goes "Oh my god, is that a phone? COOOL"
"That's right little man, its my new toy."

Some questions:

Can I split-screen two chrome tabs, and if so, how?

What are some uses for NFC in the wild now (and does keeping it constantly enabled drain battery)?

Can I make Google Play my default or another app my default audio program that pops up when headphones are plugged in?

Enron

Banned
What are some uses for NFC in the wild now (and does keeping it constantly enabled drain battery)?

You can get a pack of those samsung tec-tiles, program them to perform a specific action, and then stick them places in your house/car/office - for example, if you don't want to use up data when you are at home you could program a tectile to turn on your phone's wi-fi, then stick it inside your front door's frame so everytime you walk by it, it will automatically switch your phone over to wi-fi. Things like that.

Amazing.

My battery feels like its draining super fast, whats the best way to task manage and how can I identify what bloatware att garbage to delete?

After doing some research, it looks like the AT&T bloatware that came pre-loaded on my phone is likely the culprit for the battery draining so fast and my best (and perhaps only certain) option to get rid of that garbage is to root the phone.

Onward to adventure in abusing my fancy new electronics and hoping i dont brick it!

kmfdmpig

After doing some research, it looks like the AT&T bloatware that came pre-loaded on my phone is likely the culprit for the battery draining so fast and my best (and perhaps only certain) option to get rid of that garbage is to root the phone.

Onward to adventure in abusing my fancy new electronics and hoping i dont brick it!

I tried to root using the normal methods and had lots of problems. Then I found this which made it easy to root:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2050297&nocache=1

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I used to laugh at the Note series but I've recently been fantasizing about owning one.....

phone rooted, at&t "apps" deleted via Titanium Backup Pro, hopefully this will improve my battery life. There was some AT&T navigation app that was constantly on which I was able to get rid of, hopefully that was the culprit.

CoilShot

There are apps for syncing to iTunes. For music, it shouldn't be copy protected and you can also just copy them right onto the phone. For movies there is still DRM and I don't think you can play them on anything other than iDevices. Dat ecosystem lock-in, it's why I only buy movies on shiny round discs. Content you can only play on certain devices is never good.

Sorry for the very late reply but I don't understand this. I didn't buy the movies on Itunes I bought my movies with digital copy and then they are uploaded to Itunes so there is no way to get them on my Note 2?

Top Bottom