• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Has anyone noticed that their Note II has tiny scratches? I've had a flip cover on my phone since I bought it but in direct light I can see tiny scratches all over the screen. I'm slightly annoyed because I've paid for the phone outright and it's not been dropped or rubbed against diamonds etc. I think it might be the oleophobic coating that's scratched so any tips on buffing them out will be gratefully received.

dudeguy24

Has anyone noticed that their Note II has tiny scratches? I've had a flip cover on my phone since I bought it but in direct light I can see tiny scratches all over the screen. I'm slightly annoyed because I've paid for the phone outright and it's not been dropped or rubbed against diamonds etc. I think it might be the oleophobic coating that's scratched so any tips on buffing them out will be gratefully received.

I've used a screen protector on mine so it's still in perfect condition. I have read on the XDA forums that micro scratches do eventually up on the screen, as with all gorilla glass phones.

I've used a screen protector on mine so it's still in perfect condition. I have read on the XDA forums that micro scratches do eventually up on the screen, as with all gorilla glass phones.

Yeah I normally do use screen protectors but I couldn't find any for the Note II that looked decent so in the end I gave up. I appreciate that just because a phone has gorilla glass it's not scratch proof but I thought that it'd be a bit more scratch resistant then this?

sasimirobot

how closely are you looking for scratches? I have had mine for a few months, naked (no protection of any kind), dropped a few times, and no scratches that I notice. I toss it in and around like whatever. I believe that I own objects, they don't own me, and have found that the less you care about something (I don't mean use it as a beer coaster, or let your dog chew on it), the less tiny imperfections will bother you.

how closely are you looking for scratches? I have had mine for a few months, naked (no protection of any kind), dropped a few times, and no scratches that I notice. I toss it in and around like whatever. I believe that I own objects, they don't own me, and have found that the less you care about something (I don't mean use it as a beer coaster, or let your dog chew on it), the less tiny imperfections will bother you.

I'm not going out of my way to look for them, it was only when I was using it next to a really bright light that I noticed the first scratch. Since then I've been keeping an eye on it because I'm really funny about keeping my devices in pristine condition, I'm not saying that it's OCD but I do have something. The scratches are not where I swipe the screen to scroll so they can't be caused by my finger nails. I'm just disappointed, I've had iPhone's and they never got micro scratches and they were treated a lot worse then my Note II.

f@luS

More than a member.
Same for me. Flipcover since Day one no screen protector and a lot of tiny scratches. My iphone 5 has no screen protect just a flipcover-like and is mint

Same for me. Flipcover since Day one no screen protector and a lot of tiny scratches. My iphone 5 has no screen protect just a flipcover-like and is mint

Are they deep scratches? Mine aren't, it's almost like the oleophobic coating is somehow getting scratched.

dudeguy24

The inside of the official Samsung flip cover isn't abrasive and my scratches are straight.

I think he probably means that there are micro dirt particles that are caught in the inside of the cover that rub up against the screen when the cover is closed. The same thing happened to me with my ipad and smart cover.

I think he probably means that there are micro dirt particles that are caught in the inside of the cover that rub up against the screen when the cover is closed. The same thing happened to me with my ipad and smart cover.

I dunno, dirt can scratch gorilla glass? Stranger things have happened I guess.

TheContact

My friend got this a couple weeks ago, it's BIG lol. He has trouble carrying it around so I never see it in his pocket but the screen is nice when watching shows or playing games. It might just be a little _too_ big though

Guys - all of a sudden my note 2 battery is draining REALLY fast. its 3 months old, had NO problems so far. with heavy usage it usually lasts 1.5- 2 days, now im having to charge it twice per day and its still draining.

No new apps or processes - any ideas why?

darkwing

Guys - all of a sudden my note 2 battery is draining REALLY fast. its 3 months old, had NO problems so far. with heavy usage it usually lasts 1.5- 2 days, now im having to charge it twice per day and its still draining.

does it heat up more now? have you checked the battery info to see which process is draining the battery the most? probably the battery

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Mine too, battery life has been total shit lately. Less than four hours screen time, dead by 5pm. Sucks.

Al-ibn Kermit

If your battery life is suddenly dropping, try taking the battery out and spinning it on a table. If it spins easily, then it has a small bulge where the cell burst meaning you have to get a new battery.

Clipse

Just got the VZW GN2 today (my first Android phone) and have a question. Am I able to delete all these stock apps that are installed already or do I have to root? the phone first?

Just got the VZW GN2 today (my first Android phone) and have a question. Am I able to delete all these stock apps that are installed already or do I have to root? the phone first?

you can disable some, but to remove any you would have to root. and you have to root to get rid of that infamous wifi notification.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I got my VZW N2 on Monday and am pretty much loving it so far, but I am running into a couple of issues with the gallery and sharing images to social networking sites. I downloaded a pic from GAF to my phone and opened it in the gallery. I then tried to share it with Facebook, but every time I try to do so, the phone freezes for a few seconds and says Facebook has stopped working. I then tried to post the same image to G+; it technically generated the post, but the image that showed up is just a gray background with a circle with two arrows on it. The image itself never loaded. If I am in the Facebook app and try to post a picture, it only shows the Camera album out of my gallery.

I'm coming from a Galaxy S3, which runs basically the same software, and I did not have the same issue on that device. Any ideas?

Just in case this comes up for anyone else, I did a factory reset and the problem went away. Inelegant and annoying, but effective.

Carton

Guys - all of a sudden my note 2 battery is draining REALLY fast.
Mine too, battery life has been total shit lately. Less than four hours screen time, dead by 5pm. Sucks.
Add another for the mysterious new shitty battery life pool. Dunno what happened.

It may be one of the Samsung services constantly trying to pull data. It seems to be a problem many users have encountered on the GS3. I received my Note II 6 days ago, and have very little installed, but find it drains about 1.5% per hour on idle. I've just disabled the following apps in the application manager:

ChatON
S Voice
Samsung account
Samsung Apps
Samsung Backup
Samsung Backup Provider
Samsung Browser SyncAdapter
Samsung Cloud Data Relay
Samsung Contact SyncAdapter
Samsung Push Service

The phone is charging now, but i'll update later regarding any difference.

On another note, Rengoku in the Nexus 4 thread posted about the new Chrome beta performing much better in real world performance and on sunspider. I just installed it, and my sunspider score dropped to 873.3 vs Chrome 1200, and it is noticeably faster when scrolling through certain sites (I often use the standard version of www.afl.com.au as a test page).

Ocho

It may be one of the Samsung services constantly trying to pull data. It seems to be a problem many users have encountered on the GS3. I received my Note II 6 days ago, and have very little installed, but find it drains about 1.5% per hour on idle. I've just disabled the following apps in the application manager:

ChatON
S Voice
Samsung account
Samsung Apps
Samsung Backup
Samsung Backup Provider
Samsung Browser SyncAdapter
Samsung Cloud Data Relay
Samsung Contact SyncAdapter
Samsung Push Service

The phone is charging now, but i'll update later regarding any difference.

On another note, Rengoku in the Nexus 4 thread posted about the new Chrome beta performing much better in real world performance and on sunspider. I just installed it, and my sunspider score dropped to 873.3 vs Chrome 1200, and it is noticeably faster when scrolling through certain sites (I often use the standard version of www.afl.com.au as a test page).

I experience 10% discharge during sleep time (7-8 hours). I've disabled most of samsung apps but still. I need to investigate further.

My battery life also seems to have taken a hit, I have started putting the phone on aeroplane mode when I'm sleeping because the battery was draining faster then usual.

Stryder

For those having battery issues, there might be an app or service that is keeping your phone awake when it should be asleep.

Install this app: BetterBatteryStats

Keep it running as you use your phone throughout the day and have a look at it after some time has passed. You want to select the "Partial Wakelock" option to see which apps or services have been chewing through your battery, you can set to view it from a particular point in time too (Since charged, Since unplugged, etc.).

The next task is working out how to solve these wakelocks, let us know what you guys find and I'll see if I can suggest something.

Clipse

Man, I am super salty right now. Did some research before I bought this phone and found the only way to turn off 4G is to use an app called "Phone Info." Well, installed it today and after almost an hour of research, discovered the app no longer has the function to toggle 4G on and off.

This is honestly almost a deal-breaker for me. I had the iPhone 5 for about 3 months and had it on 3G mode almost 90% of the time because I'm perfectly fine with 3G speeds when I'm not on Wi-Fi.

Ocho

Man, I am super salty right now. Did some research before I bought this phone and found the only way to turn off 4G is to use an app called "Phone Info." Well, installed it today and after almost an hour of research, discovered the app no longer has the function to toggle 4G on and off.

This is honestly almost a deal-breaker for me. I had the iPhone 5 for about 3 months and had it on 3G mode almost 90% of the time because I'm perfectly fine with 3G speeds when I'm not on Wi-Fi.

How's your battery life with 4g on?

(oops double post)

mackattk

So I might have a chance on trading my Nexus 4 for a Note 2. My only qualm is that I use Tmobile, the Note 2 is on the AT&T network. I would assume it would be easy to unlock the phone to get it on the Tmobile side, right?

Ocho

Today's my first day with a full charge, so we'll see. My main reason for wanting 3G is because I share 6GB's of data with 2 other people and 4G LTE tends to eat a lot of data.

I fail to see how it would use more data. That's a new for me.

Skyzard

Banned
Some good apps to cut back on battery wastage or just cutting back on the bloat (pretty sure they all need root):

App Quarantine to disable applications (especially stock apps) that you aren't 100% sure you want to delete but don't want constantly running in the background.

AutoStart Manager to disable receivers for various apps and system processes for various phone activity (eg on startup or when the power is connected or connectivity is changed).

AdFree

-==-==- Just other good apps
Rotation Locker (has an auto mode - need to set it to persistent with NII- and choose a wider picture for the background (fill out those side-brackets in the wallpaper selection screen)) if you want to use your phone in landscape mode sometimes.

Audio Manager Pro is also awesome for setting custom profiles such as "Silent, Vibrate, Night/Day" and toggling between them easily.

URLy - uploading pictures (and also shortening links).

iTag for getting album art..one by one - also never choose "set as art for album" when you are browsing "All Songs" :p

ColorNote lets you have a readable note widget

SeriesGuide works well for telling you upcoming/recent favourite tv shows

If you are in the UK, TVCatchup lets you watch all the live digital tv channels

Oh and before I forget (I got my 32GB today) - GL to SD - to save space from large games:
---This lets you move files (similar to app2sd - which doesn't work with note 2) to your SD card. Mainly used with gameloft games but also shows SOME others like GTA III, Max Payne, Splice, Metal Slug, Mini Motor, the Sonic games, JSR etc. But you have to launch them from the list in the app itself. Also make sure to choose "Unmount and Exit" from the options when you are done otherwise I think other normal apps will start writing data to the external card instead of the main one, which isn't great -not entirely sure how heavy multitasking would affect it but seems to work fine. It auto mounts when running the apps. It will transfer the data files too if they are already there (which is how I've been doing it). You may see duplicates in the list.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
My sister and I have iPhone 4's and we just purchased two unlocked Note 2's from Amazon. They will be arriving today (in the next two hours)

I'M SO EXCITED TO BE BACK ON ANDROID

notsol337

marked forever
I just ordered the orange flip cover and a set of screen protectors from Amazon. I'm always really, really nervous about scratching my screen. I had an invisible shield on my old Thunderbolt, but I've read too much about the stylus not working well on them. Here's to hoping orange and grey look good together D:

Mesoian

The next sale....The next damn sale.

My stupid upgrade took place the day after all the holiday sales were over, and I simply cannot justify a 300 dollar phone on my budget. 200 would have been fine. Hell, 250 would have been fine.

::Shakes fist::

dudeguy24

I just ordered the orange flip cover and a set of screen protectors from Amazon. I'm always really, really nervous about scratching my screen. I had an invisible shield on my old Thunderbolt, but I've read too much about the stylus not working well on them. Here's to hoping orange and grey look good together D:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2095253
That link has a video with those two color combos together. As for the screen protector, the clear (not matte) Tech Armor ones have been working great for me both in terms of maintaining screen clarity and stylus compatibility.

Any word when Note III will be launched? Is there info if it'll still be the same size as II?

http://m.techradar.com/news/mobile-...e-3-could-pack-a-huge-6-3-inch-screen-1119021

This is the only rumor/news that I've seen. Itd be amazing if true.

Ok this is getting annoying now, does anybody know why my phone bleeps when I put it on charge? The volume is right down to vibrate, system noises are disabled but it still makes bleeping noises and water drop noises occasionally.

Top Bottom