• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

So I recently got the 'Use-two-apps-at-once" update on AT&T and it seems like you cannot use this feature with every app. Is there a way to make it work with any app or can I only use the app's in the list given?

YagizY

So is their some type of rooting for dummies procedure out there. I don't understand most of the jargon whenever its brought up in this thread. Can rooting get rid of bloatware on my phone? Will I still have s pen functionality if I root including s note? I'm afraid that I'm going to break something if I root.

I just came back from an electronics store and tried out the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. It's an incredible phone but I realized I wouldn't mind something even (a little bit) bigger. However, I also saw a Nexus 7 tablet and don't think I'd like to use something that big.

Are there going to be new phones with an intermediate size in 2013?

Merino

I'm becomming freakishly in love with this phone. Part of it must be switching from iOS to Android but goddamn this device is just perfect. I'm even using the sPen much more than I thought I would.

Can't wait to discover more about what I can do with it and how to customize Android to my preferences.

I do miss my iOS games though. Hopefully that becomes less and less of an issue in the comming years.

So is their some type of rooting for dummies procedure out there. I don't understand most of the jargon whenever its brought up in this thread. Can rooting get rid of bloatware on my phone? Will I still have s pen functionality if I root including s note? I'm afraid that I'm going to break something if I root.

First bit of advice, if you're not willing to read up on stuff for maybe an hour or so and understand the technical terms before rooting then DON'T DO IT.

with that said, yes, when you root, you have access to the system partition and you can get rid of bloatware. though, even without rooting, you can suspend some of that bloatware (Samsung Sync!!) in the app management menu.

rooting alone just gives you full access (superuser) privileges on the phone, it doesn't get rid of Samsung Apps such as S Note.

flashing a custom rom like CyanogenMod, MIUI or AOKP that's not based on the Samsung TouchWiz roms will get rid of the Samsung apps and some of the special S Pen functionality. however, you will still have S Pen support in the OS and pressure sensitivity in 3rd party apps that support it.

a little fear never hurt anyone, just read everything, re-read, and read some more, then do. and be careful!

I just came back from an electronics store and tried out the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. It's an incredible phone but I realized I wouldn't mind something even (a little bit) bigger. However, I also saw a Nexus 7 tablet and don't think I'd like to use something that big.

Are there going to be new phones with an intermediate size in 2013?
there's a 6.1" device on the way from Huawei, the Ascend Mate.

wait what is this exploit about ? I haven't done anything but install TW beans Custom Rom and unlocked the bootloader to my note.

exploit in Samsung Exynos Kernel memory drivers or something like that... pretty huge hole, Samsung is already patching, starting with UK GS3.

For any new note users like myself, I was able to root with the goal of making the device as close to what a stock non carrier specific device might be. I used whats called cfa auto root, which was incredibly easy and quick, theb I used titanium backup to freeze any app that has at&t in its name any app that refers to samsung sync.

Anecdotally, it feels like I increased my battery life by about 30% with all that crap disabled.

Going to roll like this for a while, at least a few weeks before I start exploring the world of custom roms

Happy to answer questions for fellow noobs

Zonar

For any new note users like myself, I was able to root with the goal of making the device as close to what a stock non carrier specific device might be. I used whats called cfa auto root, which was incredibly easy and quick, theb I used titanium backup to freeze any app that has at&t in its name any app that refers to samsung sync.

Anecdotally, it feels like I increased my battery life by about 30% with all that crap disabled.

Going to roll like this for a while, at least a few weeks before I start exploring the world of custom roms

Happy to answer questions for fellow noobs
Can you send me a link to the root? or the instructions?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
brown-samsung-galaxy-note-2-real-photo.jpg

brown-samsung-galaxy-note-2-gizchina.jpg

/not yours

Stryder

I am blown away by this phone.

After reading from a lot of reviews that the phone doesn't seem that bigger once you used to it I decided to take the plunge as that was the only thing holding me back. After using it for just a day holding my old galaxy s2 feels tiny, I have no problem at all with the size of the note 2.

The first thing I did was root, back up the efs and then install the latest wanamlite rom on it. Was nice to get rid of the bloat and enable the multiview.

Can I ask you guys, is it possible to do that video overlay thing with videos from YouTube or elsewhere?

Dead

well not really...yet
The S3 seems so fucking tiny in my hand after having my Note II for a few days.

I expectations have been warped for good

I am blown away by this phone.

After reading from a lot of reviews that the phone doesn't seem that bigger once you used to it I decided to take the plunge as that was the only thing holding me back. After using it for just a day holding my old galaxy s2 feels tiny, I have no problem at all with the size of the note 2.

The first thing I did was root, back up the efs and then install the latest wanamlite rom on it. Was nice to get rid of the bloat and enable the multiview.

Can I ask you guys, is it possible to do that video overlay thing with videos from YouTube or elsewhere?

try Stick It! or Super Video

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Subbed.

Still gonna get the GSIII over this, but I like reading about Android over all, especially everyone's experiences with the devices. ^_^

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
My girlfriend is getting steadily pissed at me laughing at her puny S3. Just a month or so ago I had severe smartphone envy playing with it briefly, but now going back to the hobbit world of phones feels impossible.

Whipped phone out in cinema during half an hour of adverts earlier and actually heard someone say "Holy shit, the size of his phone!". It made my willy tingle.

NFS Most Wanted doesnt half make my fucking phones backside toasty though. I try to only play it in 1-2 level bursts at a time.

By the way dudes, is it normal for like the absolute right half a centimetre of the phone's screen to be fairly dodgy ground for S-Pen? Thats fine since any drawing app worth its salt lets you scoot the canvas edge to the middle for more precision (fuck knows every Cintiq digitiser I've ever touched has the same issue), just... you know, I thirst for perfection.

darkwing

My girlfriend is getting steadily pissed at me laughing at her puny S3. Just a month or so ago I had severe smartphone envy playing with it briefly, but now going back to the hobbit world of phones feels impossible.

Whipped phone out in cinema during half an hour of adverts earlier and actually heard someone say "Holy shit, the size of his phone!". It made my willy tingle.

NFS Most Wanted doesnt half make my fucking phones backside toasty though. I try to only play it in 1-2 level bursts at a time.

By the way dudes, is it normal for like the absolute right half a centimetre of the phone's screen to be fairly dodgy ground for S-Pen? Thats fine since any drawing app worth its salt lets you scoot the canvas edge to the middle for more precision (fuck knows every Cintiq digitiser I've ever touched has the same issue), just... you know, I thirst for perfection.

dodgy? Are you using case for it?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I've read that cases with a magnetic clasp can cause problems for the S-Pen, so that's a great question.

Hrrrm. I was, but not anymore, Seidio Surface case now. Pretty sure the right most half a cm has always been a pretty inaccurate zone (the corners in particular) for the S-pen before I even case it. I mean its a zone I find on almost all digitisers to be a little lacking, hence why you never draw to the edge of the screen, you bring that edge to the middle.

I have an upgrade coming in a week and I'm still trying to decide what to get next. I've been a long time BlackBerry guy, and I'm currently using the BlackBerry Bold. These are what I'm considering right now...Note 2, Galaxy S3, Razr Max, DNA, and of course, the BlackBerry 10. What say you GAF?

snacknuts

we all knew her
I have an upgrade coming in a week and I'm still trying to decide what to get next. I've been a long time BlackBerry guy, and I'm currently using the BlackBerry Bold. These are what I'm considering right now...Note 2, Galaxy S3, Razr Max, DNA, and of course, the BlackBerry 10. What say you GAF?

This is a difficult question to answer without knowing what is most important to you in your next device.

Radec

All are very capable devices but the Note 2 has pen functions. So if you think it'll be useful for you, then go for it.

Size does matter.

Ocho

Master phone
Note 2
. If you're looking for good battery life and an awesome device, that is.

Merino

Ok couple questions after playing around with it for a while;

1. I've setup my phone already but am now thinking of rooting it and changing UI's and stuff. What way can I backup everything (messages/contacts/apps) and reinstall it afterwards? What is saved in the cloud and what isn't? I have a sms.db still from transfer from iPhone so if texts and apps are all I loose that might be worth the time investment in setting it up again from scratch
I guess if I ever want to do it I best just do it sooner than later?

2. Is there anyway to go to Stock Android or some other UI (like Coldfustion's Android 3D UI) and still having the benefits of the sPen, Multi-Window and other stuff that TouchWiz offers on the phone. I don't especially like the current look of my phone and am very impressed with youtube video's of other looks on the Note 2. I guess I still have to do some research on which look I like best and what way to approach it.
I've seen something called Launchers in the Store but I have no idea how these operate together with TouchWiz. Comming from iOS it's a bit weird to have Android Jelly Bean, with TouchWiz on top, with having something else on top of that. I'm a bit confused at how it all works honestly.

Ocho

2. Is there anyway to go to Stock Android or some other UI (like Coldfustion's Android 3D UI) and still having the benefits of the sPen, Multi-Window and other stuff that TouchWiz offers on the phone. I don't especially like the current look of my phone and am very impressed with youtube video's of other looks on the Note 2. I guess I still have to do some research on which look I like best and what way to approach it.
I've seen something called Launchers in the Store but I have no idea how these operate together with TouchWiz. Comming from iOS it's a bit weird to have Android Jelly Bean, with TouchWiz on top, with having something else on top of that. I'm a bit confused at how it all works honestly.

Can't really answer your first question since I've yet to root, but what you seem to want is a stock android launcher, which brings us to the second question. You can try a free launcher like Nova and see for yourself, really. It's simple, it works well over touchwiz, some features are disabled (like smart pages), but you can still use apps like S Note or whatever and use the S Pen with it. Nova launcher is more akin to stock android launcher, and it even includes some extra features of its own. If you don't like it, you can simply change launcher (android lets you control what launcher to use when you press the middle button) or uninstall, no big deal. Personally, I feel like you only need to try some of the launchers (nova, apex, etc) before rooting. Your next option would be to root and install a Custom ROM.

Ok couple questions after playing around with it for a while;

1. I've setup my phone already but am now thinking of rooting it and changing UI's and stuff. What way can I backup everything (messages/contacts/apps) and reinstall it afterwards? What is saved in the cloud and what isn't? I have a sms.db still from transfer from iPhone so if texts and apps are all I loose that might be worth the time investment in setting it up again from scratch
I guess if I ever want to do it I best just do it sooner than later?

there's supposed to be a way to use the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) to make backups, but i've never used it... if you root, you can use Titanium Backup or Rom Toolbox to back up all of your apps and data. if you flash a custom recovery like ClockWork Mod Recovery (CWM) or TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP) you can make a complete FlashROM (NANDroid) backup of your phone.

the Launcher is the 'main' app that leads you to the content on your phone. what you see when your phone starts up and you unlock it, that's the launcher. what you see when you press the home button to see your home screens, that's the launcher. what you see when you go to the app menu, that is the launcher.

different launchers have different functionality in the way they handle apps, widgets, lists, icons, themes, etc... the TouchWiz Framework is an extension to the regular Android Framework, it contains additions and changes that do various things. the TouchWiz Launcher is just one part of that, and replacing the launcher with a different one only replaces the Launcher related functionality, like Page Buddy. other TouchWiz Framework related functionality, like Smart Stay, will still work just fine.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is it possible on the GNote II to:
  1. Change the hardware menu button to a multitasking button and force the action overflow button to show up in properly designed apps?
  2. Replace Samsung's dialer, messaging and contacts apps with Google's dialer, texting and People apps?
via rooting, sideloading and modifying some system settings but without having to flash a custom ROM?

After receiving the Nexus 4 last month I was unhappy with the bluetooth issues and Chrome browser so I flipped it for a GNote II (titanium gray).

First mod I made after rooting was to get the navigation bar (on screen buttons) whnich has the benefit of also enabling the action overflow button.
The next mod I did was to resize that navigation bar so that's it's completely hidden. I still use the hardware buttons and the nice thing is that the menu button actually triggers the action overflow in properly coded apps.
Unfortunately some of Samsung's own apps aren't designed with an action overflow button in mind so I replace the Samsung dialer with exDialer.
I also installed Wave Launcher, GMD SPen Control, GMD GestureControl and LMT Launcher (Pie controls) so to lessen the use of Samsung's hardware buttons...

I don't have a custom recovery installed yet, I'm still looking for a decent emoji keyboard, messaging and contact apps. Any suggestions? And I haven't gotten the mutliwindow update yet :/ But I'm happy with this setup
until BB10 comes out

snacknuts

we all knew her
I got my VZW N2 on Monday and am pretty much loving it so far, but I am running into a couple of issues with the gallery and sharing images to social networking sites. I downloaded a pic from GAF to my phone and opened it in the gallery. I then tried to share it with Facebook, but every time I try to do so, the phone freezes for a few seconds and says Facebook has stopped working. I then tried to post the same image to G+; it technically generated the post, but the image that showed up is just a gray background with a circle with two arrows on it. The image itself never loaded. If I am in the Facebook app and try to post a picture, it only shows the Camera album out of my gallery.

I'm coming from a Galaxy S3, which runs basically the same software, and I did not have the same issue on that device. Any ideas?

forgive my ignorance but whats a good way to get into the emulator scene. never bothered with those but this phone was made for it as best I can tell. just love it.

I got my VZW N2 on Monday and am pretty much loving it so far, but I am running into a couple of issues with the gallery and sharing images to social networking sites. I downloaded a pic from GAF to my phone and opened it in the gallery. I then tried to share it with Facebook, but every time I try to do so, the phone freezes for a few seconds and says Facebook has stopped working. I then tried to post the same image to G+; it technically generated the post, but the image that showed up is just a gray background with a circle with two arrows on it. The image itself never loaded. If I am in the Facebook app and try to post a picture, it only shows the Camera album out of my gallery.

I'm coming from a Galaxy S3, which runs basically the same software, and I did not have the same issue on that device. Any ideas?

I would delete the Facebook app and reinstall. It's quite buggy, i've had uploading issues with Facebook as well, deleting and reinstalling solved it for me.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I would delete the Facebook app and reinstall. It's quite buggy, i've had uploading issues with Facebook as well, deleting and reinstalling solved it for me.

Thanks for the help. I tried this twice and am still having the same problem. The first time I just uninstalled and reinstalled. The second time I did a force stop, cleared data/cache, then uninstalled.

snacknuts

we all knew her

I've been playing around with this a little bit today and have determined that it is only images I have downloaded with the browser that are causing the force close. Sharing a picture I took with my camera from inside the Gallery works just fine.

Pie and Beans

forgive my ignorance but whats a good way to get into the emulator scene. never bothered with those but this phone was made for it as best I can tell. just love it.

For me personally, I truck with Robert Broglia's releases (all up on the store save for SNES but thats a google away) for the sole reason you can pair a Wiimote+Classic Controller to the Note2 through his emulators over bluetooth without any need for root. Get a case with a kickstand or whatever, and shit, this thing really is a mini-PC.

I've gone running with my note 2 a few times since I don't have another mp3 player since my iPhone broke. I'm still paranoid about it slipping out of my pocket somehow and it is a bit cumbersome having a massive phone swinging around in one pocket and not in the other.

So I'm thinking about buying a case in case (haw haw) my fear eventuates. Otherwise I don't really want to use a case except for this specific purpose. Any suggestions?

Or is it possible to get an armband ala iphones/I pods?

Cipherr

The Note2 is big. I dunno if an armband would be all that comfortable. Would probably be better to just grab a small Sansa or something.

I've gone running with my note 2 a few times since I don't have another mp3 player since my iPhone broke. I'm still paranoid about it slipping out of my pocket somehow and it is a bit cumbersome having a massive phone swinging around in one pocket and not in the other.

So I'm thinking about buying a case in case (haw haw) my fear eventuates. Otherwise I don't really want to use a case except for this specific purpose. Any suggestions?

Or is it possible to get an armband ala iphones/I pods?

i saw an armband on Amazon when i was looking at cases.

Top Bottom