• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

RdN

So my phone too its first dive today. Since I use it without a case, I was very worried.

It dropped from about 1.5m, flat on its back, which was very lucky. Fortunately, no scratches, glass is good and buttons too.

kmfdmpig

Does anyone know of a good/easy way to boost the volume for a Note 2? For most uses the volume is great, but I have a few videos that must have a low volume already as in MX player max volume is not quite loud enough.

I have Root if that makes a difference.

Is there a specific screen protector that is regarded as the best?

Walked into an at&t store today and they had the imoshi for $25, which I thought was extremely pricey for a screen protector. Looks like its the same price on amazon

Arucardo

Ordered one of these today, looking forward to going from my Desire HD to this. Played around with both the S3 and the Note 2 at a store today and the S3 didn't seem like a significant enough upgrade. Even for my smallish hands the Note 2 was surprisingly comfortable.

Any recommendations for a case or shell? My Desire HD didn't really need one since it's a solid aluminium shell but I'm a little worried about the whole plastic shell and how it'll cope for the next two years or so.

darkwing

Ordered one of these today, looking forward to going from my Desire HD to this. Played around with both the S3 and the Note 2 at a store today and the S3 didn't seem like a significant enough upgrade. Even for my smallish hands the Note 2 was surprisingly comfortable.

Any recommendations for a case or shell? My Desire HD didn't really need one since it's a solid aluminium shell but I'm a little worried about the whole plastic shell and how it'll cope for the next two years or so.

i have this

32642-1.jpg

has a screen protector too included

Just upgraded to a Note 2 today after being with BlackBerry for four years. Man its like a whole new world. Loving it so far. I have a lot to figure out, learn and experience but so far so good.

LEGGZZZZ

Ok gaf, so I have a question. Currently I am stuck in a 2 year contract with tmobile, won't expire for a while, but I can't wait any longer and feel like picking up the note 2. Currently I have a galaxy S2, and I've already researched how to handle making my sim card and micro sim card for the note 2.
My question though, is it really as simple as just buying a unlocked Note 2, and putting in my sim card to be able to use it as a new phone? I'm still new to smart phones in general, but was kinda surprised that everything I've read so far makes it seem so simple, or are there any extra steps to take as well?
If not, I'm probably buying the note 2 this week, and will start to use it as my new phone, thanks!

Edit: did some more research, looks like I would have to set up a APN for tmobile on the unlocked phone, any other steps?

There are so many versions of Note II. Is there any significant difference between them aside from internal storage? I saw a 32GB SHV-E250L for $450, which is a model for Korea. Which version should I be looking for?

edit: I live in the Philippines.

CiSTM

Banned
Ok gaf, so I have a question. Currently I am stuck in a 2 year contract with tmobile, won't expire for a while, but I can't wait any longer and feel like picking up the note 2. Currently I have a galaxy S2, and I've already researched how to handle making my sim card and micro sim card for the note 2.
My question though, is it really as simple as just buying a unlocked Note 2, and putting in my sim card to be able to use it as a new phone? I'm still new to smart phones in general, but was kinda surprised that everything I've read so far makes it seem so simple, or are there any extra steps to take as well?
If not, I'm probably buying the note 2 this week, and will start to use it as my new phone, thanks!

Edit: did some more research, looks like I would have to set up a APN for tmobile on the unlocked phone, any other steps?

I don't know if US phones work differently but I rest my APN every now and then because I get offered cheaper contracts. It takes few minutes to check and set correct APN settings (google will tell you, or just call custom service). There shouldn't be any other settings, some phones have seperate MMS settings but with Note 2 you should be set and done just with correct APN notes.

edit. Don't live in US so I have no idea if sim cards come with all the essential settings. Here I just need to set APN. SMS center number and such are always preset in new contracts here.

I've had to sell my Note II, I have Cerebral Palsy and holding it was cramping my hand. I've gone to the Galaxy III which I've had briefly before.

Goodbye Note II, you were awesome.

Humm, although i have the pure international us version, i think that my SIM is keeping me away from the update.

Both KIES and OTA says im already with the latest (4.1.1) update.

LEGGZZZZ

I don't know if US phones work differently but I rest my APN every now and then because I get offered cheaper contracts. It takes few minutes to check and set correct APN settings (google will tell you, or just call custom service). There shouldn't be any other settings, some phones have seperate MMS settings but with Note 2 you should be set and done just with correct APN notes.

edit. Don't live in US so I have no idea if sim cards come with all the essential settings. Here I just need to set APN. SMS center number and such are always preset in new contracts here.

Thanks for your help, anyone in America have advice? I might just start a new thread on it.

Humm, although i have the pure international us version, i think that my SIM is keeping me away from the update.

Both KIES and OTA says im already with the latest (4.1.1) update.

What is an international US version? When you go to the About page in Settings, does the model number say GT-N7100?

If so, I am on 4.1.2.

ReconPeon

I just sold my iphone 5 and boought this phone. I have only been using it for an hour and I already like it soooooo much more. 4 inch screens should become extinct on smartphones.

Tex117

Banned
Yo! I just recently switched over from Apple to the Note 2 and I am LOVING this device.

I do have a few questions as I am not near as tech-savy as you guys (and I cant root my phone due to security reasons with work).

Is there a way to get the GoSMS widget on the lock screen so I can see if there are any text notifications?

Is there an app like Go Launcher Pro I should use? Something Similar to customize and make it all look cool?

Any apps that are "musts" for a android newbie like me?

Thanks alot for your help. I love the phone, but it can get you turned around real quick with so many options!

kmfdmpig

I got my free flip cover for signing up for their free rewards package. It's orange, so I'm not sure I'll ever use it, but I have it at least.

So I think my problem with battery life was Dolphin. Too bad, because it is way better than Chrome.

The Dolphin beta does seem to be a bit of a battery hog, but it's such a good browser that I stick with it anyway.

I-hate-u

For some reason I cannot access the multi-tasking window where you hold the back button. My phone is on the latest firmware and my carrier is telus (Canada). Any tips?

Enron

Banned
So at some point in December my Google Account got hacked. They didn't do anything but add a bunch of garbage apps into my "order" history, no doubt in the hope that I would download them not thinking about it and infect my phone. Might want to check your Order Histories on the play store from time to time to make sure some russian asshole hasn't compromised your shit.

RdN

Tried :(

Also the "about" menu clearly says 4.1.1 and GT-N7100.

I guess i can only wait :(

4.1.2 hasn't been pushed in Brazil yet. Samsung BR is one of the last to release updates, and never by OTA, just KIES.

If you care about updates and want them fast, I recommend flashing a stock ROM from an European country (like Poland or Germany) and changing the CSC.

I'm basing this on your avatar, btw..

Ninja Dom

I had a bad experience with the Galaxy Note 2 the other day. I work in a big phone store in London and sold one to a customer.

Dude comes back in two days ago with a look of frustration on his face. I immediately think "he's got a problem, he's gonna return the phone". Returns seriously affect our sales targets.

What the guy does is write out text messages advertising what's going on at his church and then send these text messages out to around 150-200 people. These texts are around 400 characters in length so it's a "long text", the equivalent of 3 or 4 texts stitched together. He told me this when he came back frustrated not earlier at the time of the sale.

First problem we discover, the Galaxy Note 2 can only send texts to a maximum number of 20 people at a time. Not a big deal as then you send to 10 groups of 20. But then do the maths, 200 people x a long text of 4 texts stitched together = 800 texts for each advert he sends every week. His price plan is fine as he has Unlimited Texts.

BUT the Galaxy Note 2 couldn't handle it, much to both of our surprise when he showed me what he does. After about 2 mins of the Note 2 trying to send these messages an error pops up saying the phone is unable to send these and having difficulty. The dude saw this error earlier but kept on retrying and retrying and eventually came back to the store to complain. Now the phone DOES send out some messages as people reply. But the whole process ends up failing.

Now here's the fucked up part. The Note 2, for some unknown reason, converts SOME groups messages into MMS (Multi Media Messages) which is not included in the dudes plan. So dude has been getting charged for sending some of these long texts that manage to get through.

"I bought the worlds most powerful phone and it fails tragically at sending out text messages to groups of people?? Something my previous phone did with ease??"

It was a bit embarrassing.

But by comparison, an iPhone 5 on 6.0.2 can only send texts to a maximum of 10 people at one time. Although an iPhone 1 (2007) on earlier iOS 2.0 could send texts to as many people as you liked at once. I used to use that to text my team of 37 colleagues at once no problem.

Enron

Banned
I had a bad experience with the Galaxy Note 2 the other day. I work in a big phone store in London and sold one to a customer.

Dude comes back in two days ago with a look of frustration on his face. I immediately think "he's got a problem, he's gonna return the phone". Returns seriously affect our sales targets.

What the guy does is write out text messages advertising what's going on at his church and then send these text messages out to around 150-200 people. These texts are around 400 characters in length so it's a "long text", the equivalent of 3 or 4 texts stitched together. He told me this when he came back frustrated not earlier at the time of the sale.

First problem we discover, the Galaxy Note 2 can only send texts to a maximum number of 20 people at a time. Not a big deal as then you send to 10 groups of 20. But then do the maths, 200 people x a long text of 4 texts stitched together = 800 texts for each advert he sends every week. His price plan is fine as he has Unlimited Texts.

BUT the Galaxy Note 2 couldn't handle it, much to both of our surprise when he showed me what he does. After about 2 mins of the Note 2 trying to send these messages an error pops up saying the phone is unable to send these and having difficulty. The dude saw this error earlier but kept on retrying and retrying and eventually came back to the store to complain. Now the phone DOES send out some messages as people reply. But the whole process ends up failing.

Now here's the fucked up part. The Note 2, for some unknown reason, converts SOME groups messages into MMS (Multi Media Messages) which is not included in the dudes plan. So dude has been getting charged for sending some of these long texts that manage to get through.

"I bought the worlds most powerful phone and it fails tragically at sending out text messages to groups of people?? Something my previous phone did with ease??"

It was a bit embarrassing.

But by comparison, an iPhone 5 on 6.0.2 can only send texts to a maximum of 10 people at one time. Although an iPhone 1 (2007) on earlier iOS 2.0 could send texts to as many people as you liked at once. I used to use that to text my team of 37 colleagues at once no problem.

Must just be the shitty samsung texting app. That piece of junk can't even send group messages - all my ios buddies and I have been group messaging for years, then all of a sudden I don't recieve them anymore and for a week everyone thinks I am dead. GoSMS would solve that dude's problem pretty quickly.

LEGGZZZZ

Just made my purchase to join the master race. Bought the N7100 international version unlocked, should be here Wednesday, hopefully everything works out. I want to root it for the multi-window mod, will be my first time doing so. Any other recommendations? I saw changing the screen to 240 dpi earlier, what difference would that make?

I guess that guy never heard of email, you know, the long form method of digitally communicating text to multiple recipients, its absurd that hes using a consumer grade stock text app to mass text people, theres marketing software out there that will do it for you and for a nominal cost

Top Bottom