• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

I guess that guy never heard of email, you know, the long form method of digitally communicating text to multiple recipients, its absurd that hes using a consumer grade stock text app to mass text people, theres marketing software out there that will do it for you and for a nominal cost

i can see why he would want his new phone to be able to do what he could easily do on his previous phone. that's why i went with Android after WM6 got EOL'd. i couldn't imagine NOT being able to run an IRC client as a background task on my phone when i did it on my previous device. plus, depending on the crowd, they may not even use email...

LEGGZZZZ

Man I hate all the flip cases, but this thing is damn sexy: The SPIGEN SGP Note2 Valentinus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JWoJv4M3o

IMG_01351.jpg

SGP-Valentinus-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-how-much.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

^^^ Pics are from the Note 1 Version, but it looks about the same.
It doubles as a wallet/case, and works pretty well since the Note is so large, allows the
case to carry 4+ cards and some cash. What does Gaf think? I need a new wallet anyway.

Only thing that bothers me is actually taking calls with it, I guess you would just fold it back, even though everyone
could then see your wallet in doing so, or just take the phone out completely, seems a bit counter productive at that point
though. Interesting.

LEGGZZZZ

Man I hate all the flip cases, but this thing is damn sexy: The SPIGEN SGP Note2 Valentinus

IMG_01351.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

It doubles as a wallet/case, and works pretty well since the Note is so large, allows the
case to carry 4+ cards and some cash. What does Gaf think? I need a new wallet anyway.

Only thing that bothers me is actually taking calls with it, I guess you would just fold it back, even though everyone
could then see your wallet in doing so, or just take the phone out completely, seems a bit counter productive at that point
though. Interesting.
I have a Note II and a case very similar to this one. I only keep my essential cards and a small amount of cash in it and since I never talk on my phone without the bluetooth, I fell in love with the case (and ditched my more expensive official flipcase).

Cronee

IMG_01351.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

though. Interesting.

I'm not really big on the idea of keeping my ID, credit, or bank cards with my phone. I like keeping those hidden and out of sight, mostly so I'm not tempted to swipe that plastic, which is why I ordered one of these. It's practically the same thing.. minus the snap strap and the card holder, by the looks of it, is flush with the inside of the cover. Plus, those cases with snap straps remind me of purse wallets my wife buys. Also, I cant help but thinking I'd end up putting it in my back pocket and sitting on the damn thing.

“Samsung Canada announced today the upcoming availability of the latest update for the GALAXY Note II smartphone, which offers Multi Window allowing users to interact with two separate applications simultaneously.

The OS update (Android 4.1.2) gives customers the ability to personalize and customize their smartphone experience and interact with two apps at the same time. Samsung Canada now allows GALAXY Note II customers to change app positions within the Multi Window in addition to having the capability of using Pop Up Video while using Multi Window.

Also, included in this software update is the inclusion of both simplified and traditional Chinese language support. Easily accessible from the device’s settings menu, the software can change the language for most menus and applications and also support handwriting of Chinese characters to be transposed into text.”

Shit, i was wondering why I couldnt change the shit on my friends galaxy note 2. Just makes me more amped to get my own when it comes out at the discounted price. Bell ain't helping a brother to get one right now, thats fo sho :(

Merino

I've just been trying out ScummVM with the Note 2 and it's absolutely amazing.

Latest ScummVM build includes S-Pen support (with the button working as right mouse click) and it works just as well as a mouse would.

Playing Curse of Monkey Island right now and I would have never believed point and click adventure emulation could be so good on a phone.

Loving it!

Ok so what are some good note 2 cases? Good timing as bell is finally hooking a broher up with a note 2.

Max I want to spend is around 30. I need a good phone where the case can fold out to prop the phone up, but is also not so rigid that I can't fold the phones case completely behind the phone. I hate having to talk on ky girlfriends iPhone and having the flap sticking out.

I'm scrolling through this threads archives but any quick recommendations would be great.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I got my free Samsung flip case and tectiles in the mail from that promotion a few weeks ago. I don't get the draw of flip covers at all.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yep, I got the Spigen Metallic Ultraflip for my Note II. It's fantastic; I really wanted a flip case with no strap. I also don't need to carry anything else with me because I just have my license and Amazon Credit Card in the card slot.

Enron

Banned
I got my free Samsung flip case and tectiles in the mail from that promotion a few weeks ago. I don't get the draw of flip covers at all.

Yeah, I dont even want my flipcase or the tectiles. Was hoping to swap them for something somewhere.

Zizbuka

Banned
Wife and I got Note IIs yesterday. Amazing phone. I've been using Android for a couple of years (Inspire before this), but man there's so much new stuff to play with.

It updated to 4.1.2 yesterday, is that the latest? I've heard people say the stock Jelly Bean launcher is really nice, but I didn't see a difference really from my old Gingerbread. I may stick with Go Launcher.

One thing that's really bugging me; did they remove the App2SD functionality? Why would they do that?

Settings -> Display -> is there a multi window option below notification panel option?

No =/

4.1.2 hasn't been pushed in Brazil yet. Samsung BR is one of the last to release updates, and never by OTA, just KIES.

If you care about updates and want them fast, I recommend flashing a stock ROM from an European country (like Poland or Germany) and changing the CSC.

I'm basing this on your avatar, btw..

Youre right, but the strange thing is that i bought it in the US in november, and then brought it to brazil. Wierd.

What is most wierd is the rom n7100ubali8 of it.

RdN

No =/

Youre right, but the strange thing is that i bought it in the US in november, and then brought it to brazil. Wierd.

What is most wierd is the rom n7100ubali8 of it.

Man, you're really out of luck.

Samsung updates in the US are as slow as in Brazil. Like I said, if you want fast updates, you have to switch your ROM and CSC to Europe.

Alright, I just got this bad boy.

Is there any mandatory things I should do to the phone to increase performance?
(Without rooting of course)

What are some absolute must have apps for this thing?
Dolphin? Note taking apps?

Also, is there a way to draw on pictures? The phone is only letting me draw on the back of them

RotBot

I've just been trying out ScummVM with the Note 2 and it's absolutely amazing.

Latest ScummVM build includes S-Pen support (with the button working as right mouse click) and it works just as well as a mouse would.

Playing Curse of Monkey Island right now and I would have never believed point and click adventure emulation could be so good on a phone.

Loving it!

The S-Pen button triggers the lasso screenshot function for me. How do I disable it?

Wife and I got Note IIs yesterday. Amazing phone. I've been using Android for a couple of years (Inspire before this), but man there's so much new stuff to play with.

It updated to 4.1.2 yesterday, is that the latest? I've heard people say the stock Jelly Bean launcher is really nice, but I didn't see a difference really from my old Gingerbread. I may stick with Go Launcher.

One thing that's really bugging me; did they remove the App2SD functionality? Why would they do that?

they changed the way they map memory out. the full ~11GB of free space can be used for apps, and you can put photos, videos and music on your SD card. there's also an app available that will put the large data for some popular games and apps on the SD.

Man, you're really out of luck.

Samsung updates in the US are as slow as in Brazil. Like I said, if you want fast updates, you have to switch your ROM and CSC to Europe.

Hummm, speaking with the seller, it appears that my N2 is actually from Malasya !

So ill have to wait for their update,

Those of you who have the Verizon Note II, DO NOT ACCEPT THE OTA UPDATE BEING PUSHED OUT TODAY! If your bootloader is unlocked it will relock it and if you're running a modified ROM it will soft brick your phone!

To stop the forced update, use Titanium Backup to freeze or uninstall SDM 1.0.

LEGGZZZZ

So gaf, I have a bit of a problem with my note 2. I decided to root my phone, used a tutorial that seemed easy enough. The only problem is that for some reason, I can not boot to my recovery screen, it just flashes Samsung, and then the message suddenly starts flashing and getting glitchly before becoming just a black screen. Now it sounds like a bricked my phone, but when I turn it back on, everything works normally, I am able to use titanium pro to back everything up. So basicly, I rooted my phone, but can't flash any mods because I can't see the recovery screen, and can't update my phone because of it being modified. Any help from experienced phone rooters, I would be extremely grateful, thanks

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So gaf, I have a bit of a problem with my note 2. I decided to root my phone, used a tutorial that seemed easy enough. The only problem is that for some reason, I can not boot to my recovery screen, it just flashes Samsung, and then the message suddenly starts flashing and getting glitchly before becoming just a black screen. Now it sounds like a bricked my phone, but when I turn it back on, everything works normally, I am able to use titanium pro to back everything up. So basicly, I rooted my phone, but can't flash any mods because I can't see the recovery screen, and can't update my phone because of it being modified. Any help from experienced phone rooters, I would be extremely grateful, thanks

Flash using Odin.

what tutorial?

Got my Note II today (titanium grey) after weeks of thinking and comparing, reading and watching numerous reviews (bizzarely it didn't occur to me to read this read, which I'll be rectifying soon), until I became certain that it is the absolute best phone available right now for me, and ran out and grabbed it.

Having spent a few hours with it today I cannot express how much in love with it I am already... Erica here does a good job of relaying my excitement. (With that said, formatting that embedded URL on the Note II was a big ordeal... we're still aways from replicating keyboard and mouse ease of use. But then again I think this particular issue might be the Android browser's fault; why does it make the cursor jump all over the place when trying to paste text at an exact location? But I digress)

This is my first smartphone ever, in fact it's the first cell phone that I ever chose for myself, all my previous phones were hand-me-downs from my sister... so yeah I'm pretty damn excited about this quantum leap in this pocketable computing :)

A Note 2 from Spain or Germany thats unlocked/Sim Free should work fine on UK networks like giffgaff, right? No sort of region lock on handsets?

Skyzard

Banned
I'm not 100% sure but my international one from Dubai works fine with giffgaff.

This thread keeps triggering u torrent though -_-
Actually lots of pages do..arghh

I'm not 100% sure but my international one from Dubai works fine with giffgaff.

Awesome. Its an Amazon seller from Portugal (I could get it cheaper from Germany but I'd get charged for the Euro exchange so not quite worth it); so I should be protected since its attatched to Amazon's product page for the device.

This thread keeps triggering u torrent though -_-
Actually lots of pages do..arghh

Wha-?
Like automatically, did you accidentally chose that to run for some other function?
V. Strange.

Skyzard

Banned
Awesome. Its an Amazon seller from Portugal (I could get it cheaper from Germany but I'd get charged for the Euro exchange so not quite worth it); so I should be protected since its attatched to Amazon's product page for the device.

Wha-?
Like automatically, did you accidentally chose that to run for some other function?
V. Strange.

You know.. double check the model number with the seller if you can - I'm pretty sure you can root other devices to unlock them and it would work fine too but yeah it would be slightly more reassuring if it was international - table with the model numbers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Note_II#Table_of_variants

It should be fine even if it is just rooted and unlocked though but phones can be dodgy. Some people are even having trouble with the international version here: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/He...NO-SIM-message-on-SAMSUNG-NOTE-2/td-p/6861028

If you have a backup option to return it then yeah that will be safer to go through with... Also I read something about O2 selling it for about £465 unlocked on the giffgaff site if that is comparable to how much you found it for.

Btw about the torrent stuff - I wasn't do anything weird, just browsing on neogaf and had certain threads triggering utorrent (something about android_asset//webkit) - no other settings to change...no receiver settings to turn off...might just be my version..tried clearing internet cache and also emailed the dev.

At least it works, before the torrents wouldn't start up (other people had the same issue...I tried it again down the line even though there were no new updates and it just started working). There is an alternative app but it limits it to 250KB/s unless you pay £2.50 or so. Pretty damn useful to download with my phone since my connection is spotty at home/in my room.

Also I'd recommend this micro sd card: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009HPFT14/ It's class 6 but works really fast. Like, no complaints at all here. There is a class 10 out there, I think for £10 more, but I'm not sure how reliable they are and I'd also advise to look for one only sold by amazon.co.uk with all the fakes out there.

LEGGZZZZ

Just rooted my phone, downloaded Omega custom rom, and red pill kernal. This phone is even better now, battery life/performance is impressive. I'm in phone heaven.

Had a sudden phone reboot just now. Was copying text from this thread in Chrome and just as I was to paste it into an open Google Drive document (using multiWindow), the screen went dark and phone rebooted. Freaked me out for a second. Anyone experience entire-OS crashes like that on stock rom?

Edit: Fuck it happened again! Wth? I was doing the same thing as before (copying in multiWindow from Chrome to stock browser), could this be a hardware issue (faulty ram)? Or probably software?

This happened with power saving mode on both times, wonder if that's related. Only other factor I can think of is having the auto adjust display tone option enabled, which normally only works in stock browser but not in Chrome, except when you switch to multiWindow the dimming effect carries over from stock browser into Chrome as well.

I often need to copy and paste text from Web pages into Google Drive, and since the Drive app doesn't work in multiview I'm opening Drive inside the browser.

My mom is upgrading her work phone and asked my advice. (Her employer uses Verizon exclusively.)

I recommended the S3 or the Note II. I really think she'd enjoy the Note, especially the stylus and the versatility it provides. And I told her she'd almost certainly be a trendsetter at her job, which she seemed to enjoy. (Almost all of her co-workers are getting iPhones, which seems stupid to me because they've switched over to Gmail and are increasingly relying on Google services.)

I told her to be sure to play around with it at the store to make sure it's something she'd like, but I have little doubt that she'd go nuts for it. Honestly, it strikes me as a very work-friendly device, specifically a very middle-aged-working-woman-friendly device.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
“Samsung Canada announced today the upcoming availability of the latest update for the GALAXY Note II smartphone, which offers Multi Window allowing users to interact with two separate applications simultaneously.

The OS update (Android 4.1.2) gives customers the ability to personalize and customize their smartphone experience and interact with two apps at the same time. Samsung Canada now allows GALAXY Note II customers to change app positions within the Multi Window in addition to having the capability of using Pop Up Video while using Multi Window.

Also, included in this software update is the inclusion of both simplified and traditional Chinese language support. Easily accessible from the device’s settings menu, the software can change the language for most menus and applications and also support handwriting of Chinese characters to be transposed into text.”

Shit, i was wondering why I couldnt change the shit on my friends galaxy note 2. Just makes me more amped to get my own when it comes out at the discounted price. Bell ain't helping a brother to get one right now, thats fo sho :(

I need this NOW!

Metal-Geo

Had a sudden phone reboot just now. Was copying text from this thread in Chrome and just as I was to paste it into an open Google Drive document (using multiWindow), the screen went dark and phone rebooted. Freaked me out for a second. Anyone experience entire-OS crashes like that on stock rom?
I've had this on my Galaxy Nexus 3 times over a span of, what, 9 months or so. And I think also once with my Note II (which is on my possession for 4 months now.) I've heard similar stories of friends with HTCs other Samsungs. :/

I've had this on my Galaxy Nexus 3 times over a span of, what, 9 months or so. And I think also once with my Note II (which is on my possession for 4 months now.) I've heard similar stories of friends with HTCs other Samsungs. :/

I edited my previous post, it happened again within an hour or so :(

Gonna try doing the same but without power saving and/or screen dimming on and see if happens again. I'm still on 4.1.1 didn't update yet. Only had the phone for a couple of days.

Edit: Fuck it happened again! Wth? I was doing the same thing as before (copying in multiWindow from Chrome to stock browser), could this be a hardware issue (faulty ram)? Or probably software?

This happened with power saving mode on both times, wonder if that's related. Only other factor I can think of is having the auto adjust display tone option enabled, which normally only works in stock browser but not in Chrome, except when you switch to multiWindow the dimming effect carries over from stock browser into Chrome as well.

I often need to copy and paste text from Web pages into Google Drive, and since the Drive app doesn't work in multiview I'm opening Drive inside the browser.
you know you can just copy and paste via switching between the apps using multitasking by holding the home button...

Or there's custom roms and mods

hK42zQTl.png

Top Bottom