• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

you know you can just copy and paste via switching between the apps using multitasking by holding the home button...

Yes I know, and that's how I've always been doing it on my Touchpad running CM9, but I much prefer doing it without completely switching apps (it's faster and less distracting). So far it's also the only practical use I could think of for me to use the multiview feature. I don't get the point of watching a video while doing something else for example (which is by far the most common usage scenario people seem to rave about)... I thought multiview was useless for me until I figured to use it for this, so I'm bummed that it's bugging out.

Another thing I dislike is having to hold the home button to access recent apps. I dislike using physical buttons all together, but then on top of that I have to HOLD IT, ugh. I'm compiling a list of tweaks I'd like to change and being able to access Recent Apps without using the home button is at the top of them.

Or there's custom roms and mods

hK42zQTl.png

Yeah I intend to delve into that soon, I'm still getting my footing around, haven't even gotten a case or screen protector yet!

Making webpage backgrounds black is be another coveted feature for me (is that a different browser or a chrome plugin specific for NeoGAF?)

XenoRaven

Gonna apologize in advance because I'm sure everyone asks this but how does it feel in your pocket? Is it bulky or restrictive at all? I've asked several stores if they have a demo version that isn't attached to a cable, but none of them do.

Yes I know, and that's how I've always been doing it on my Touchpad running CM9, but I much prefer doing it without completely switching apps (it's faster and less distracting). So far it's also the only practical use I could think of for me to use the multiview feature. I don't get the point of watching a video while doing something else for example (which is by far the most common usage scenario people seem to rave about)... I thought multiview was useless for me until I figured to use it for this, so I'm bummed that it's bugging out.

Another thing I dislike is having to hold the home button to access recent apps. I dislike using physical buttons all together, but then on top of that I have to HOLD IT, ugh. I'm compiling a list of tweaks I'd like to change and being able to access Recent Apps without using the home button is at the top of them.

Yeah I intend to delve into that soon, I'm still getting my footing around, haven't even gotten a case or screen protector yet!

Making webpage backgrounds black is be another coveted feature for me (is that a different browser or a chrome plugin specific for NeoGAF?)

black bg is a setting in the Neogaf Mobile site options

Gonna apologize in advance because I'm sure everyone asks this but how does it feel in your pocket? Is it bulky or restrictive at all? I've asked several stores if they have a demo version that isn't attached to a cable, but none of them do.
hahaha, you want to walk around with one in your pocket in-store?

hasn't been a problem for me.

dejay

Banned

I've had zero issues in this regard, but obviously you have to favour pants/shorts with larger pockets. Skinny jeans may be an issue.

kmfdmpig

I haven't had a problem with it. It certainly is noticeably larger, but not dramatically so. The "scary" size stuff goes away very quickly once you use one for about 2-3 days. After that you'll look at smaller phones and wonder how people get by with tiny screens. That's actually my one worry with the phone is that it will be tough to get a future phone that is not as big or larger.

Yeah thay torrent think seems to be connected to youtube links(?). Its strange as it doesn't even take setting utorrent up for opening any files.

Anyway am very very pleased with my purchase. It was a lot of money (oddly I have not yet been charged!). But once I've been using it I realised its worth the money.

My Nexus 7 is very sad though, its now kind of the cast out. Harder to type on, slower and with no memory option. Seems to me 7" was wrong for Google and they should.have gone the Note route.

Strikes me this size of device is just perfect for so many things. The s-pen is a small functiob but it actually makes editing a workable function on a touch device. The cropping copy thing was great too. Makes saving and accessing things so much easier.
I used it earlier to save a Sim City beta code a gaffer sent me.

So good stuff!

Merino

Recieved my SGP screenprotector and cover.

Screen protector application process was nerve-wrecking. Had a couple dust spots on the screen in the upper corner and it took all 4 dust removal stickers till I finally had all dust spots removed. The screen protector was placed slightly diagonally but fortunately it covers the entire screen albeit it being very close at the left-bottom-corner of the screen.

Unfortunately found out that it doesn't make the scratch dissappear that appeared on my screen during my first week of recieving the device. There's still this clearly visible rainbow effect right at the centre of my screen :(

Then I found out that I accidentally ordered a cover for the original Note. That was another huge dissappointment. Not only because I loved the look of the cover but I ordered it from another country on ebay and it's going to be a 10 euro waste of money to send it back to the seller.
I also put it up for sale but I doubt anyone is still in the market for original Note covers.

dudeguy24

It's not a problem for me because the phone is so slim (I don't use any ugly cases). I have some pretty naturally thick quads and wear 31x32 Levi's 511s.

I'm still having trouble finding just the right case for my note 2. I want something that can prop up and also fold around easily but those two things don't seem to go together :(

Guys - all of a sudden my note 2 battery is draining REALLY fast. its 3 months old, had NO problems so far. with heavy usage it usually lasts 1.5- 2 days, now im having to charge it twice per day and its still draining.

No new apps or processes - any ideas why?

Mine too, battery life has been total shit lately. Less than four hours screen time, dead by 5pm. Sucks.

Add another for the mysterious new shitty battery life pool. Dunno what happened.

My battery life also seems to have taken a hit, I have started putting the phone on aeroplane mode when I'm sleeping because the battery was draining faster then usual.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned in this thread that the official Samsung update to 4.1.2 is causing the battery drain for many people.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/01/17/galaxy-note-ii-software-update-n7100xxdll7-brings-battery-drain/

adelante

Bummer. Dunno what sparked this problem but I started having issues making and receiving calls/smses when I'm 4G/3G network about a week ago (phone works just fine when I switch to GSM-only network mode), so I got it sent for repair/exchange yesterday. Back on my iPhone4 for at least another day; this thing feels so puny.

qazqaNii

Hey, I am in need of a phone right now, and I was thinking of getting Note2, but the rumours are saying that Note3 will be released in Q1, so any advices if I should wait or buy it now?

CiSTM

Banned
Hey, I am in need of a phone right now, and I was thinking of getting Note2, but the rumours are saying that Note3 will be released in Q1, so any advices if I should wait or buy it now?

I don't see Note 3 being released in Q1. It was no show at CES and I doubt they will show it at Mobile World Congress later next month. Note 3 will be released in September or in October. Samsung has no need to alter their functioning galaxy cycle. There are also rumors that Note 3 would be a phablet so you might take that under consideration. It doesn't kill anyone to wait few months for more information but I doubt we will see any stellar improvements in the Note tech, it could also be that we won't get any details of Note until summer. Samsung kept the final specs of Note 2 themselves for a long time.

Cipherr

The Note 3 wont be released until like Q4 of 2013 man. I dont know who in the world told you Q1... They come about once a year around the same time. You can buy a Note 2 and be confident that it wont get a hardware sequel until late this year. And it will get the software updates and whatnot anyways, so even if you don't buy the Note 3 later this year, you will get all the updates on your Note 2.

Mook1e

I'm still having trouble finding just the right case for my note 2. I want something that can prop up and also fold around easily but those two things don't seem to go together :(
I have the incipio. It's pretty good. Rubbish for taking photos, though. I think all of the fold-around cases are, though.

I know it has probably been asked a million times but how do you carry this monstrosity around? Do you need to put it in a purse, or a murse? Does it fit in you jean pockets? Can someone take a pic of what it looks like in their pocket?

Mook1e

I know it has probably been asked a million times but how do you carry this monstrosity around? Do you need to put it in a purse, or a murse? Does it fit in you jean pockets? Can someone take a pic of what it looks like in their pocket?
It's been asked and answered like 10-20 times already. It fits in my pants pocket and I'm 5' 6". It fits in all of my pants from jeans to slacks.

I just got my Note II. I'm so happy about it. It's the first expensive phone I bought. The screen is just HNGGGH. I'm still at work so I can't play more with it.

I had no problems fitting it in my jean pocket.

Has anyone used this external battery? The seller gave me one for free.

Arucardo

Fuuuuuuu- my Note II is driving me mad. Mediaserver is keeping my phone awake almost 24/7 and draining quite a bit of battery. I've yet to figure out how to fix this. It's def. not corrupted media files, since I literally have nothing on the phone yet.

Fuuuuuuu- my Note II is driving me mad. Mediaserver is keeping my phone awake almost 24/7 and draining quite a bit of battery. I've yet to figure out how to fix this. It's def. not corrupted media files, since I literally have nothing on the phone yet.

What player are you using? I tried a few apps (FoobarCon and PowerAmp come to mind) that seemed to keep Mediaserver running. I also think there is a setting in Google Play Music that keeps that thread alive. Also, check if you have formats (flac, wmv) that are not supported by your music player.

Arucardo

What player are you using? I tried a few apps (FoobarCon and PowerAmp come to mind) that seemed to keep Mediaserver running. I also think there is a setting in Google Play Music that keeps that thread alive. Also, check if you have formats (flac, wmv) that are not supported by your music player.

I had spotify and BeyondPod installed (which I currently uninstalled to see if it's causing it) and it only has the "stock" music player on it right now.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Sucks that, while available on the Play Store, Vudu is not compatible with the Galaxy Note II.

Zizbuka

Banned
Sorry if this has been addressed, any way to replace the default MMS emoticons? They couldn't be any uglier, not sure why Samsung uses them. I don't really want to replace the app, just the emoticons.

Angst

Sorry if this has been addressed, any way to replace the default MMS emoticons? They couldn't be any uglier, not sure why Samsung uses them. I don't really want to replace the app, just the emoticons.

Pretty sure you have to root and replace Samsung's sms app with a modded sms app. If you're going down that road I'd rather just install another ROM.

Top Bottom