• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note II (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

snacknuts

we all knew her
I had to get rid of my Note 2 to find a better solution for what I had originally purchased it for (supplementing school notes with hand-written notes and drawings). I ended up begrudgingly getting an iPad (because I couldn't find an Android equivalent of Notability) and holy crap do I miss the Wacom digitizer.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I had to get rid of my Note 2 to find a better solution for ... hand-written notes and drawings... I ended up begrudgingly getting an iPad

This... doesnt make a lick of sense. I mean if you wanted more screen estate, theres the Note 10.1, but then also all the pen based W8 tablets circling the Earth right now too.

Arucardo

Found out what was keeping my phone awake with mediaserver and draining battery like crazy: Puzzle & Dragons (game on iOS and android, there's a big thread for it on the gaming side). As long as I kill it after I'm done and stop any activity from it I'm golden.

Is there a list of updates for Note II? A version hitosry, change logs, anything. I'm really wondering because the latest update supposedly adds multiwindow, but when I check for an update it starts downloading one.

Unless you are using an International Note II, the update notes won't mean a whole lot to you. The regional and carrier-specific update releases are all different, only people who are using models GT-N7100 and GT-N7105 will have any kind of meaningful update progress lists.

Yup I have the international version. I've been googling a lot but I still can't find a good list. This is the latest update which my phone had when I bought it, but like mentioned it still lets me get an update.

I believe there have been several updates in quick succession for the International model recently. Samsung released 4.1.2 and has been fixing bugs they found. One of the updates is also for closing the Exynos Abuse exploit.

tigerin

i got a theory, wouldn't putting on a case be bad for the phone due to the case holding in the unreleased heat making it hotter?

i got a theory, wouldn't putting on a case be bad for the phone due to the case holding in the unreleased heat making it hotter?
Hypothetically it's possible. This phone doesn't exactly get very hot though. I've left Epic Citadel running the Guided Tour about a half hour before and the phone barely gets warm to the touch with my case on it. Most phones don't get very hot.

One of the things I was envious about the 920 was the ability to use it wearing gloves. It took me about a week of being dense and pulling off my gloves before I realised that I can use the stylus.

One of the things I was envious about the 920 was the ability to use it wearing gloves. It took me about a week of being dense and pulling off my gloves before I realised that I can use the stylus.

LOL, that the opposite of my experience. The first week or so with the phone I was almost exclusively using the stylus for everything (and I don't wear gloves). Not out of a conscious or deliberate decision to use the stylus; I just found myself automatically pulling it out for anything I wanted to do on the phone (menu navigation, browsing web, etc.)... It's only recently days that I started using my fingers more.

Hello all. Held one of these in my hand today and think it's about time I jump on the Note train. I've got a couple of questions. Where's the best place to buy this thing unlocked online? Can I get it hooked up to a no contract provider?

Hello all. Held one of these in my hand today and think it's about time I jump on the Note train. I've got a couple of questions. Where's the best place to buy this thing unlocked online? Can I get it hooked up to a no contract provider?

Dang..guess I'll venture into the wild..alone :(

If you are going to go the unlocked route, what plan are you looking at? There are a few options available but I have only looked into T-Mobile Prepaid and StraightTalk. (Through straightalk, you can be on either T-Mobile or AT&T's network.)

If you are going with T-Mobile (direct or through StraightTalk), you can either buy the T-Mobile unlcoked Note 2 or the International Note 2(N7100).

With the N7100, you won't get 3G in all locations. Look at this website to determine if you are in an area that will give you 3G. www.airportal.de.

The T-Mobile version (Called the SGH-T889) should work fine except that it will have T-Mobile bloat ware.

The international version is on newegg. The T-Mobile version should be available in any T-mobile store.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
My old man paid full price for the phone ($650 at Wireless Toyz) and went the non-contractual plan via T-Mobile. He pays $50 a month for unlimited talk, text and data. For the $50, you get 100 MB of 4G with it dropping to 3G after that. I think the $60 plan was 2GB of 4G. Pretty much worth it if you're willing to drop around $700 for the phone itself.

If you are going to go the unlocked route, what plan are you looking at? re are a few options available but I have only looked into T-Mobile Prepaid and StraightTalk. (Through straightalk, you can be on either T-Mobile or AT&T's network.)

If you are going with T-Mobile (direct or through StraightTalk), you can either buy the T-Mobile unlcoked Note 2 or the International Note 2(N7100).

With the N7100, you won't get 3G in all locations. Look at this website to determine if you are in an area that will give you 3G. www.airportal.de.

The T-Mobile version (Called the SGH-T889) should work fine except that it will have T-Mobile bloat ware.

The international version is on newegg. The T-Mobile version should be available in any T-mobile store.

My old man paid full price for the phone ($650 at Wireless Toyz) and went the non-contractual plan via T-Mobile. He pays $50 a month for unlimited talk, text and data. For the $50, you get 100 MB of 4G with it dropping to 3G after that. I think the $60 plan was 2GB of 4G. Pretty much worth it if you're willing to drop around $700 for the phone itself.
Thanks to you both. Guess I'll go the tmobile route then.

Anyone else find the screen overly sensitive to touch sometimes? Some times it registers an input without my finger actually touching it; just hovering closely above it. Also I often accidentally activate a button on the edge of the screen (like the Shift key on keyboard) just by the bit of flesh from the inside of my hand tightly griping the phone.

On a positively awesome note, I just discovered the green "Reader" button that appears on the address bar in the stock browser when a blog page fully loads. That thing is the best thing ever! It's like Evernote Clearly, removes everything on the page except the article itself, giving you big clear don't on a plain white page with no distractions. Can't believe I never noticed this feature before, it's our stock Android or done by Samsung?

Do you need many minutes? I'm on the tmobile plan for $30 a month which is:

100 minutes
Unlimited text
Unlimited data (first 5 gigs are 4g)

If you go over your allotted minutes, it's ten cents a minute extra.
Man, that's pretty good..but I'm sure I'd end up needing more minutes than that. Appreciate the info!

I wish I could change the color green in status bar and toggles in notification pane to Holo blue, without losing any s-pen touchwiz functionality.

I just installed SwiftKey Flow beta and set the Holo theme for the keyboard, and of my god this keyboard is stunning both aesthetically and in functionality; its prediction and interactivity design are nearing on perfection (once you tweak a couple of settings). Magic is all up in this bitch.

multi window

ibkxKNjEwBDpkr.gif

commissar

I was going to upgrade my pc, but somehow ended up getting a Note 2.
It is really really nice so far, fits in my pocket ok but seriously this thing is fucking huge D:

I'm kind of intimidated.

Break It Down – How Does The S Pen Work?

Who knows what we’ll see unveiled at Mobile World Congress, but with its recent purchase of five percent of Wacom, Samsung has shown that it believes there is a future in the S Pen.

And why not? It’s a nifty piece of hardware that allows users to do some very interesting things. The popularity of the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 isn’t entirely thanks to the S Pen—a long way from it, actually—but it certainly didn’t suffer because of it either.

Whether you like to use it or not, you may find yourself wondering how the S Pen works. Well that’s what we’re here for.

If you’re in a hurry, check out the three sentence summary, or watch the video.

http://www.androidauthority.com/break-it-down-how-does-the-s-pen-work-154435/

nice article

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Did you recently get the phone? I thought that update was a couple weeks ago or at least my dad's phone got it then.

I got the phone just 2-3 months ago. But I am in Canada though.

Also how the hell do I get this Google Now thing? I thought I had it but the chick don't talk to me!

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I got the phone just 2-3 months ago. But I am in Canada though.

Also how the hell do I get this Google Now thing? I thought I had it but the chick don't talk to me!
Hmmm.... I didn't know about this until you mentioned it. Where do I find this? I can't find it on the Play Store.

Edit: Nevermind. I found it on the phone. It was pre-installed but I had to activate and update it. It goes under the name "Google" with a blue box around it, which is why I had a hard time finding it at first.

Ocho

I accidentally dropped my Note 2 while exiting the car, fortunately nothing mayor happen, only some scuff marks in the lower corners of the chrome edge or whatever it is. I don't really like that chrome stuff, easy to scratch, like the back of an ipod touch.

Top Bottom