• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Angst

Hey guys,

My father just got a S3 not too long ago, and was wondering how would I be able to sync all his information from his iPhone 4 to his latest S3?

From my understanding, there is the "Easy Phone Sync" application but apparently the application is only available to those who are located in the UK.

What are some other solutions that can make this transition seamless and smooth?

Thanks!

If by "information" you're thinking about contacts, wouldn't the easiest be to setup gmail sync on the iphone, sync contacts etc to gmail, then use the same gmail account on his new phone?

Edit: like this: http://iphone-contacts.blogspot.no/p/transfer-contacts-from-iphone-to.html

If he wants to transfer his music library there's an app for Android called Airsync or something like that from DoubleTwist. He needs to have the music on his PC/Mac though.

Shouldn't be that fragile. You might try formatting the sdcard to see if that helps. If not if you have another you might try it to see if the problem persists. If so it could be the phone. If the problem stops when you try another you might have a bad sdcard.

I hope not, I paid lots of money for this thinking it was a good card.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ok, today my wallpaper is diagonal. Is this a bug? Its the stock S3 dynamic wallpaper.

Also, is it supposed to fade out/in when you go to sleep or into apps? The other dynamic ones don't do it.

Screenshot_2012-08-01-10-32-05.png

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Ok, today my wallpaper is diagonal. Is this a bug? Its the stock S3 dynamic wallpaper.

Also, is it supposed to fade out/in when you go to sleep or into apps? The other dynamic ones don't do it.

Screenshot_2012-08-01-10-32-05.png

yup, both those things are suppose to happen

RiverBed

Banned
My screen keeps fading out and locking while I am reading the news. Isn't the phone supposed to recognize that it is being looked at and thus keep the screen from shutting off? Or do I have to manually enable that feature?

Gattsu25

Banned
I know this is getting a little out of hand (my requests for apps) but are there any good RPGs out there for Android?

Games that are more western style (and cyberpunk is a definite plus) and have a bit of strategy behind them are appreciated.

buhdeh

Anyone have the official slim case (specifically for the pebble blue)? Wondering how it looks and if it's any good... it's quite expensive at $20ish CAD

upandaway

This arrived today, finally I can be a little rougher with the device

JAXWI.jpg

Feels good man, I really prefer this to all the silly cases I've seen on everyone. I don't like to use my phone while moving around anyway, and I want it naked when I use it, so this is perfect.

Also, it's a pretty tight fit so don't assume you can double it up with a slim case. I don't even know if it could take an extended battery (probably).

My screen keeps fading out and locking while I am reading the news. Isn't the phone supposed to recognize that it is being looked at and thus keep the screen from shutting off? Or do I have to manually enable that feature?
If you didn't already then yeah, it's somewhere in the preferences. And if it doesn't work there's a new app that claims to do the same thing I think.

Socreges

Banned
Got my GS3 a few days ago. Loving it, but I'm new to Android so it's still a bit overwhelming.

I'm using the Apex Loader as a bunch of people recommended, but is it really not possible to move widgets to the home screen unless I've got root access? Or is it just that I can't move them from the "drawer"? Is there another way to get my widgets onto the home screen with Apex?

Also, if I were to hook it up to my 50-inch TV with an HDMI cable, would it look alright? I'm interested in using my phone (with a 32 GB SD card) to watch videos on my TV. Also maybe using it to browse online.

Socreges

Banned
Also, could someone point me to the thread where people post about their smartphone customizations? Could've sworn I saw a thread like that, but now I can't find it.

upandaway, what case is that? Might be interested in getting something just like that.

sun-drop

This arrived today, finally I can be a little rougher with the device

JAXWI.jpg

Feels good man, I really prefer this to all the silly cases I've seen on everyone. I don't like to use my phone while moving around anyway, and I want it naked when I use it, so this is perfect.

Also, it's a pretty tight fit so don't assume you can double it up with a slim case. I don't even know if it could take an extended battery (probably).

If you didn't already then yeah, it's somewhere in the preferences. And if it doesn't work there's a new app that claims to do the same thing I think.

nice, what pouch is that. my sena ultra slim is almost too tight...has taken a good month of use to get usable

Angst

Got my GS3 a few days ago. Loving it, but I'm new to Android so it's still a bit overwhelming.

I'm using the Apex Loader as a bunch of people recommended, but is it really not possible to move widgets to the home screen unless I've got root access? Or is it just that I can't move them from the "drawer"? Is there another way to get my widgets onto the home screen with Apex?

Also, if I were to hook it up to my 50-inch TV with an HDMI cable, would it look alright? I'm interested in using my phone (with a 32 GB SD card) to watch videos on my TV. Also maybe using it to browse online.

My GSII outputs 720p via MHL and the videos run stutter-free, so you shouldn't have any issues with the GSIII.

As for browsing (and I'm basing this on my GSII) the output is portrait-only - it works, but only uses a tiny part of the screen. This of course does not apply to videos.

Kauwn

Neo Member
Going to have to check this out in a store. The only thing that's putting me off is I think it might be slightly too big and I'm not really feeling the rounded corners, much prefer the S2 rectangular shape. To the phone store!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Just long press on the homescreen and choose widgets to choose which one you want to place.

Bought mine for AU$720 outright last week, love it. Got a nice leather flip-case for it as well... unfortunately I got white and it's already filthy, so I'm going to have to buy a black one.

So... what are some good android apps for this thing? First thing I did was reactivate Grindr, lol.

upandaway

upandaway, what case is that? Might be interested in getting something just like that.

nice, what pouch is that. my sena ultra slim is almost too tight...has taken a good month of use to get usable

That's a nice case. Might I ask where you got it from?
Sorry for not putting the name in the post, it's this: Spigen Crumena Leather Pouch
It looks like they ran out of black and white colors, but I got mine off eBay (lots of brand new ones there).

demented

Guy selling s3 10 days old, has screen protector and been in case since he bought it and is selling it for a nice price, should I go for it?
He say's his bored of it(probably came from iphone), what should I check on it? Has year warranty, full package etc.

Socreges

Banned
Thanks!

Any Canadians care to direct me to the best place to order/pick up a 32GB SD card (class 10 maybe, although I don't totally understand the class distinctions)? Or another S3 battery?

Still slowly getting my bearings. Deceivingly powerful phone. The USB host stuff is ridiculous.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Thanks!

Any Canadians care to direct me to the best place to order/pick up a 32GB SD card (class 10 maybe, although I don't totally understand the class distinctions)? Or another S3 battery?

Still slowly getting my bearings. Deceivingly powerful phone. The USB host stuff is ridiculous.

Ncix, memory express, or Canada computers.probably have good cheap ones. Futureshop and best buy sell them at ripoff prices.

Socreges

Banned
Ncix, memory express, or Canada computers.probably have good cheap ones. Futureshop and best buy sell them at ripoff prices.
Times like this I wish I was still in Vancouver and not Victoria. Each of those stores is a ferry ride away. Ah well.

Watching this video right now about the S3's connectivity options and I've marked down another few accessories that I'll have to buy. Yikes.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm getting really annoyed by the bullshit apps that Samsung/ATT&T has shat onto this phone

So I have a few questions: How do I change samsung's shit messaging app to something more usable and hopefully developed by Google?

Toki767

I'm getting really annoyed by the bullshit apps that Samsung/ATT&T has shat onto this phone

So I have a few questions: How do I change samsung's shit messaging app to something more usable and hopefully developed by Google?

You'd have to root it if you want the AOSP messaging app. Otherwise, install GoSMS or Handcent and those will do the trick.

kehs

Banned

You can disable any app you want. Settings > Apps > App > Disable.

When you download another messaging app you'll get a prompt to use that as default messaging apps.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I actually like the Samsung sms default app better than the HTC default sms app :x

VanWinkle

Yeah, I really wish Samsung didn't change the default apps so much, or would have at least had holo design guidelines for their apps. Contacts looks far worse than the People app (and doesn't look like an ICS app at all) messaging looks far worse than the stock messaging app, the calendar looks terrible compared to the ICS calendar, etc. I actually like [most] things about the launcher, but the default apps are not good at all to me aesthetically.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah, I really wish Samsung didn't change the default apps so much, or would have at least had holo design guidelines for their apps. Contacts looks far worse than the People app (and doesn't look like an ICS app at all) messaging looks far worse than the stock messaging app, the calendar looks terrible compared to the ICS calendar, etc. I actually like [most] things about the launcher, but the default apps are not good at all to me aesthetically.

Yeah, it won't be long before I root and go back into the Rom scene. I loved pretty much everything about Slim ICS on my Galaxy S, so I have to start looking into some good ones for the S3.

One thing I really hate is the quick toggles in the notification bar and how you can't customize them and how it always swipes to the left upon opening the notification slider.

Or how when you have something plugged into the audio jack, it adds a row of icons to the notification slider.

Or the fact that on my Tmobile S3 there is no Brightness control in the notification window (I know that there is a patch for this supposedly coming to all devices at some remote time).

The look of the SMS and Contacts are terrible.

Lots of little things.

Maybe I will put CM9 on there. Still have to root though. Pain in the ass.

Toki767

The one thing Samsung did right that ICS was lacking in though is their camera app. It's much better than the default ICS one and I love that I can simply say cheese or capture and it'll snap a picture for me.

McLovin

I don't like the weather app that's attached to the default clock widget. Anyway to have it link to the one they use on sense phones?

Gattsu25

Banned
Thanks for the help, all..

I'll make sure that I get a nexus next time :O

It took a little doing but I'm pretty happy with the phone now. I'm surprised at how bad the Samsung apps are versus the stock Android apps.

What exactly do these launchers do? Like Apex Launcher, Go Launcher, Nova Launcher... I'm still unsure as to what they do.

Also, where do you guys download cool wallpapers from? I'm looking for neat textures wallpapers or something.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
What exactly do these launchers do? Like Apex Launcher, Go Launcher, Nova Launcher... I'm still unsure as to what they do.

Also, where do you guys download cool wallpapers from? I'm looking for neat textures wallpapers or something.

They replace the stock launcher with more options. You can get your launcher to look like a stock Nexus launcher or customize it to look like a HTC launcher. It's just a matter of personal choice. Like the samsung touchwiz launcher has folder icons that look god awful on the home screens. I could install Nova launcher and have a launcher that makes folders look like the way Google intended.

The 2 tablets I have run stock launchers so I just keep the TW launcher on the GS3 just to give my brain a rest from the norm.

Top Bottom