• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

goober

Get a case and screen protector. Your phone WILL crack to hell if you drop it even form 1 foot off the ground. IT's extremely fragile.

What do you recommend? I really want to show off the red color. That's the only reason I waited so damn long to get the phone.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
How exactly will a screen protector protect the screen from cracking after a fall? Seems to me they are just to prevent scratches, and completely unnecessary at that.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So the screen won't scratch without a screen protector (barring drops)?

That is what gorilla glass is best at, preventing scratches. It can still scratch, but I will take that possibility over having to deal with a screen protector. In my experience they look and feel horrible compared to the naked glass.

teiresias

If you want a protector that distorts your screen, maybe. If the screen has an oleophobic coating then still I don't think the difference wold be worth it.

I have the Steinheil Ultra Nano screen protector on my phone, it looks good, doesn't distort, and gathers fingerprints less than the bare screen did - though it doesn't prevent them completely, which it wouldn't since it's not billed as an anti-fingerprint screen.

Does the number show up when they call?

Nope.

There's your problem right there. Carriers block any information from being displayed on an incoming call (even if you have the number stored) unless you have CID. At least, that's how it was in my case. Call and (nicely) complain and you might get CID for free.

That is insane. If it's stored on the phone, they still make it show up as unknown? Is there any other way around it?

kehs

Banned
Nope.

That is insane. If it's stored on the phone, they still make it show up as unknown? Is there any other way around it?

Well the problem is that the carrier isn't passing the phone number to you, so there is no way for the phone to know who is calling.

It is total bullshit that its a desperate charge , but I always thought companies tossed right next to the taxes and misc charges and most people didn't notice it.

Was it something they explicitly asked if you wanted?

McLovin

Just got the red Galaxy S 3, looks a lot better in person.

Any recommendations for the screen protector?

I got the white s3, and bought a blue rugged body glove case, I also put one of those peal on screen protectors.

It looks like this but the case is dark blue, not black like in the picture.
http://www.blueshop.com/body-glove-dropsuit-rugged-case/4A54A11660.htm

on topic though I'm kind of pissed the us version is only dual-core, but its still an awesome phone. Its much much better then the evo 3D I had before. I'm on sprint so no 4g LTE yet, but the 3g is really good. So I can wait.

Also that screen dimming feature is kind of annoying. I turned it off but it made the battery life terrible. I had to turn it back on, I'll try to get use to it.

Nemesis_

Wow, the red looks great.

I have a white, but I wonder if there will be a way to purchase the Red backing.

I wouldn't mind a White and Red one *O*

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Can I just say that GAF has, by far, the best mobile site of any forum on the Internet? Using it in combination with the Galaxy S3 and 4G LTE feels too good. Yes, there's such a thing as too good.

reKon

Banned
Can I just say that GAF has, by far, the best mobile site of any forum on the Internet? Using it in combination with the Galaxy S3 and 4G LTE feels too good. Yes, there's such a thing as too good.

For GAF I don't really need 4g and I usually just stick to 3g except for those image heavy threads. Even on 3g, everything is incredibly fast.

McLovin

Wow, the red looks great.

I have a white, but I wonder if there will be a way to purchase the Red backing.

I wouldn't mind a White and Red one *O*

Actually they sell this cover that replaces the back of your phone. It has this flap on the side that covers your screen. I know they come in blue and white, but I'm guessing they're gonna make a red one.
edit- Its called a flip cover and its from Samsung.

VanWinkle

Agreed. The dark theme especially looks great (plus, it's better for battery life since the S3 has an OLED screen).

Gattsu25

Banned
Sticking with AT&T, begrudgingly.

They pulled some borderline fraudulent shit with my account yet I'm sticking with them mainly out of convenience due to my entire extended family + florida friends being on the network. *sigh*

Anyway, just ordered a red one. Should be here by ~Wednesday.

reKon

Banned
Dark theme? Tell me more.

Screenshot_2012-07-29-15-57-37.png

Go to preferences and change the theme. I love being able to do all this in less than a minute. Uploading screen shots to picasa is faster than anything else, especially when you need to resize images.

Well the problem is that the carrier isn't passing the phone number to you, so there is no way for the phone to know who is calling.

It is total bullshit that its a desperate charge , but I always thought companies tossed right next to the taxes and misc charges and most people didn't notice it.

Was it something they explicitly asked if you wanted?

Caller ID was included in the more expensive plan, but I really didn't wanna pay $60 dollars a month plus tax. It was hard enough to justify $50 + tax to myself. I was under the impression it'd operate like my old Pay-as-you-Go phone, where (while it at least displayed the number if it's an unknown person), it'd display the name of programmed contacts.

Purexed

Banned
Just made the switch from my iPhone 4S to the S3, what application or technique can I use to port over all the contacts and text messages from my old phone?

I was looking at using Easy Phone Sync, but it appears not to be working with the S3.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Appreciate it!

Now to get those darn text messages sent over too...

does iPhone have any sms backup apps that go to your gmail? That's how I've been backing up and restoring text messages before and after every rom flash.

Toki767

So I was at a dim sum restaurant today having lunch. I was just on my phone and this old Chinese woman who was carrying the food out saw my phone and stopped what she was doing to ask me if it was the Galaxy S III. I thought that was pretty awesome.

So is anyone else getting this symbol on the top left side of the status bar? Ever since I got the prompt to update my software (which I did) I'm not getting any more symbols on the status bar other than that one.

idDN8l.png

saunderez

So is anyone else getting this symbol on the top left side of the status bar? Ever since I got the prompt to update my software (which I did) I'm not getting any more symbols on the status bar other than that one.

idDN8l.png

Check your Quick Toggles in the notification bar, you have Notifications turned off.

saunderez

So I was at a dim sum restaurant today having lunch. I was just on my phone and this old Chinese woman who was carrying the food out saw my phone and stopped what she was doing to ask me if it was the Galaxy S III. I thought that was pretty awesome.

Product awareness seems rather high for the GS3. I went to a training course last week and the trainer walked past me whilst I was messing around on it and instantly said "You've got the new one". It probably helps that it's not easily confusable with other devices.

Haha and so you're right. Silly me. Thanks!

No probs I knew I'd seen that icon before and yes, it was when I accidentally disabled my own Notifications.

VanWinkle

Product awareness seems rather high for the GS3. I went to a training course last week and the trainer walked past me whilst I was messing around on it and instantly said "You've got the new one". It probably helps that it's not easily confusable with other devices.

No probs I knew I'd seen that icon before and yes, it was when I accidentally disabled my own Notifications.

I've shown it to three people today at work (and my brother who I don't see too often) and the were all instantly blown away, and knew of the phone. Two of them have iPhones and said they've been considering getting the S3 instead of the next iPhone when they are due for an upgrade.

Just going to echo you guys are saying. I have the white S3 and everyone I've showed it to is in love with it. It's just a really slick, fast, and gorgeous phone. Doesn't hurt that it has a crazy good screen.

Kyoufu

Just going to echo you guys are saying. I have the white S3 and everyone I've showed it to is in love with it. It's just a really slick, fast, and gorgeous phone. Doesn't hurt that it has a crazy good screen.

Showed it to my friend a few days ago. He messaged me today saying he's getting it on his upgrade. Heh. Pebble Blue version though.

TDLink

Only issue I have is that it logs me out after some time. I want to stay logged in :(

For some reason, for me, none of my calls through it are connecting (I tried it right next to a friend's computer with his skype open also) and it seems to randomly log me off and on again.

BFIB

After headaches with out AT&T service over the past year or so, me and my fiance got fed up and switched carriers, and picked up two S3's Saturday.

Overall, I really like it. Battery life is fantastic, even better than my 4S, which had a decent battery to begin with. I've had an iPhone since the original, so this is my first foray into a Droid phone. After getting the Nexus 7, I'm really impressed with the software.

suplex

So how does one get group texting working properly on the s3?

Any group texts from others or responses just get lumped into individual conversations and always come as a mms message which can be rather confusing at times. I would like any group texts sent to me plus responses to show everyone included on the text so I can have them separate from individual convos and I can also easily respond to all. Is there some setting I have to change or is there another messaging app I can get?

Husker86

So how does one get group texting working properly on the s3?

Any group texts from others or responses just get lumped into individual conversations and always come as a mms message which can be rather confusing at times. I would like any group texts sent to me plus responses to show everyone included on the text so I can have them separate from individual convos and I can also easily respond to all. Is there some setting I have to change or is there another messaging app I can get?
Get GoSMS and then go to settings and receive settings and check Enable Group MMS. They will always come and go as an MMS.

Top Bottom