• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

FireCloud

The app itself isn't horrible or anything, I'm just not a fan of the skinning job. Plus the default sms app is much more slick.

Not sure it will make a big enough difference but you can alter the way the default messaging app looks. If you haven't tried it open the Messaging app then go to Menu > Settings. From there you can alter the bubble style and the background style.

buhdeh

They replace the stock launcher with more options. You can get your launcher to look like a stock Nexus launcher or customize it to look like a HTC launcher. It's just a matter of personal choice. Like the samsung touchwiz launcher has folder icons that look god awful on the home screens. I could install Nova launcher and have a launcher that makes folders look like the way Google intended.

The 2 tablets I have run stock launchers so I just keep the TW launcher on the GS3 just to give my brain a rest from the norm.

Do launchers use up phone resources? Like would it run alongside TouchWiz or does it literally replace it so that TouchWiz no longer uses resources?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I want a full working version of Google Now on the GS3 :(

The voice is so pleasant. S-Voice has an attitude now. I say say hello and it responds by saying Yo.

itxaka

Defeatist
Rocking the Temasek Jelly Bean rom. Wow, I can't come back to ICS. So many improvements and smoothness. And i think butter is not in yet!

Everything works but the tetering and face unlock. They say it has a memory leak but it behaves the same than with ICS samsung rom so...no idea.

Can anyone recommend a cheap, unlocked android in USA that I can put a SIM into and put a 4.x preferably jellybean onto?

Wife loves my S3, but we don't want another contract and these suckers are crazy expensive unlocked/no contract

Swag

Is there a way to set a different notification sound for different actions similar to how iOS works? For example, a different sound for incoming e-mail, voicemail, SMS?

Husker86

Can anyone recommend a cheap, unlocked android in USA that I can put a SIM into and put a 4.x preferably jellybean onto?

Wife loves my S3, but we don't want another contract and these suckers are crazy expensive unlocked/no contract
Galaxy Nexus is $350 straight from Google. I don't think you'll get Jellybean on anything cheaper.

Cipherr

Galaxy Nexus easily.

EGM92

Got my SGS3 yesterday, loving it, much better than my Atrix but after a year and a half of using a 4" phone the jump in form factor is taking some really getting used to.

For those of you that have the phone rooted, what the best rom out there right now? I tried Diet ICS with Fauxs latest kernel and it works well but for some reason performance is a bit iffy. Suggestions?

Have any of you purchased any metal backings for the SGS3? preferably full metal backs, I'd like to know if it can act as a heat spreader.

buhdeh

Have any of you purchased any metal backings for the SGS3? preferably full metal backs, I'd like to know if it can act as a heat spreader.

I've heard that they can affect reception/GPS. Pretty sure they definitely affect NFC though (as in, it won't work).

rozay

Banned
Got my SGS3 yesterday, loving it, much better than my Atrix but after a year and a half of using a 4" phone the jump in form factor is taking some really getting used to.

For those of you that have the phone rooted, what the best rom out there right now? I tried Diet ICS with Fauxs latest kernel and it works well but for some reason performance is a bit iffy. Suggestions?

I can't speak for the GS3 metal backs, but the ones likely made in the same factories for the galaxy nexus were utter shit. Mediocre quality in terms of the material and the fit and finish, and they prevented NFC from working and probably affected reception too. Seeing as the GS3 back covers the whole device, it'll probably be worse in terms of reception degredation.

EGM92

I can't speak for the GS3 metal backs, but the ones likely made in the same factories for the galaxy nexus were utter shit. Mediocre quality in terms of the material and the fit and finish, and they prevented NFC from working and probably affected reception too. Seeing as the GS3 back covers the whole device, it'll probably be worse in terms of reception degredation.

Thats a shame, I don't undre NFC for anything but yea rather not have it screw with my radios. Thanks.

Ordered myself an Otterbox Commuter.

Aguirre

free SII on contract or pay £150 to upgrade to SIII

help me decide, pls! currently got a scraped, battered and bruised S1.

Gallery is absolutely killing my battery life and I have no idea why. Anyone else having this issue? It's taking up more battery life than cell standby.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Been a couple of weeks with thew handset and i'm loving it, best phone i've ever owned, only annoying thing is the battery isnt the best..but im considering getting a spare one, lasts a full day...which is ideal... as i charge it when i recharge :p also the speaker is a little tinny, but unless you're a nob who plays nonce-step on the bus i dont see that as a problem

torontoml

Really lucked out with upgrading my phone early. Was supposed to pay a $320 earlier upgrade device balance on my original S but it never showed up, so I checked it out online and they have it down as paid. Plus I'm still on my original plan which was also supposed to increase by a few dollars.

this_guy

Gallery is absolutely killing my battery life and I have no idea why. Anyone else having this issue? It's taking up more battery life than cell standby.

I noticed that too. Go to your Settings -> Accounts and Sync -> Google/Gmail settings, and turn off Picasa web albums. That was causing a wake lock for me but after I turned it off everything was back to normal.

RuGalz

I've been noticing some widgets can really eat up batteries on this phone even if you aren't actually using the widget. I installed Simi Clock Widget and Circle Clock last week, and my battery barely lasted 24 hours even after I removed the widgets from the homescreen and rebooted my phone -- Android OS or idle would show a big percentage of battery usage. After I uninstalled both, my battery is back to about 2-3 days with similar usage. Such a huge difference...

Does anyone have the issue with Wifi not connecting whenever the phone has gone to sleep?

Wifi will be on but when you go into the settings, you can see that it's just constantly scanning. I have to turn it off, then back on again for it to connect.

My GS2 had the same issue, but it was rare.

rozay

Banned
Does anyone have the issue with Wifi not connecting whenever the phone has gone to sleep?

Wifi will be on but when you go into the settings, you can see that it's just constantly scanning. I have to turn it off, then back on again for it to connect.

My GS2 had the same issue, but it was rare.
Go to settings->wi-fi, then press the menu button and there should be an advanced option. What's the wifi sleep policy set to?

Gattsu25

Banned
Outside of some annoyances during the first week I have to admit that I am really enjoying this phone. Now all I need is some money (paycheck don't fail me now) and I'll pick up some good apps.

Trying to create a list of things to hunt down... Anyone have any suggestions for good RPGs or Strategy games?

Socreges

Banned
Using apex launcher.... How can I change the layout of the lock screen? Would like to add a camera shortcut etc

Outside of some annoyances during the first week I have to admit that I am really enjoying this phone. Now all I need is some money (paycheck don't fail me now) and I'll pick up some good apps.

Trying to create a list of things to hunt down... Anyone have any suggestions for good RPGs or Strategy games?
there's an android games thread in the other forum. Try doing a search. I'd find it myself but I'm lazy

I don't know if it counts as one of those genres, but Game Dev Story is the only mobile game that ever held my attention for very long. It's incredibly addicting

surly

Banned
Using apex launcher.... How can I change the layout of the lock screen? Would like to add a camera shortcut etc
AFAIK, there are no Apex-specific settings for changing the lock screen, but you can change the icons in the regular settings menu under Security and lock screen - Lock screen options - Shortcuts. If you actually tap on the word "Shortcuts" you can change the 4 lock screen shortcuts there.

Can someone tell me how to set my wallpaper so it rotates and fits properly in landscape mode like the stock wallpapers do? I feel like an idiot but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm using Nova launcher as well if that matters at all. All my wallpapers are fine in portrait but when rotated only show a rectangle in the center of the screen instead of filling it completely.

Phoenix

I'm planning on getting one of these soon, with a 2 year contract with Sprint. I'm also going to get the Spectre tempered glass screen protector, and maybe a back cover with a decent color. I like this red one, but I heard metal can interfere with the NFC signal or something. Is it going to be a problem getting a good looking back cover?

Metal distorts/absorbs RF for NFC so yes it will be a problem. Samsung (and probably Apple) chose to house the NFC subsystem within the battery so anything between the battery and the NFC transceiver will be a pain in the ass for you.

Socreges

Banned
AFAIK, there are no Apex-specific settings for changing the lock screen, but you can change the icons in the regular settings menu under Security and lock screen - Lock screen options - Shortcuts. If you actually tap on the word "Shortcuts" you can change the 4 lock screen shortcuts there.
Awesome, thanks. I keep forgetting that I can tap on the word to open specific settings.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Metal distorts/absorbs RF for NFC so yes it will be a problem. Samsung (and probably Apple) chose to house the NFC subsystem within the battery so anything between the battery and the NFC transceiver will be a pain in the ass for you.

That sucks, because it's the only kind of cover I actually like. I just ordered the phone today, so I guess I'm going to have to deal with the crappy blue/black color.

Considering the SIII and the Incredible 4S as my next phone purchase. I'm a huge fan of the Incedibles, but am thinking the SIII would be nice. I am not a fan of larger phones though, prefer the sleek and smaller (hate things in my pockets). Advice?

Kyoufu

Considering the SIII and the Incredible 4S as my next phone purchase. I'm a huge fan of the Incedibles, but am thinking the SIII would be nice. I am not a fan of larger phones though, prefer the sleek and smaller (hate things in my pockets). Advice?

Fits into my pockets just fine while being big enough to enjoy the browser and other activities on the device.

It's also really thin so it doesn't feel like you have a brick in your pants. Good stuff.

I suggest trying it out at a local store or something. I'm happy with mine.

Go to settings->wi-fi, then press the menu button and there should be an advanced option. What's the wifi sleep policy set to?

It's currently set to 'Only when plugged in' which is fine as it does turn off when the phone goes to sleep. Only the issue is, is that when I use the phone again it doesn't matter how long I wait, the wifi (although it's on) doesn't actually connect. When I go to the wifi options, I can see that it's still scanning. It doesn't pick up ANY routers. I turn it off, then back on and they all appear again and it automatically connects to mine.

I had this at random times with my GS2 as well.

Angst

It's currently set to 'Only when plugged in' which is fine as it does turn off when the phone goes to sleep. Only the issue is, is that when I use the phone again it doesn't matter how long I wait, the wifi (although it's on) doesn't actually connect. When I go to the wifi options, I can see that it's still scanning. It doesn't pick up ANY routers. I turn it off, then back on and they all appear again and it automatically connects to mine.

I had this at random times with my GS2 as well.
Try changing security protocols and/or channel on your router, that did it for me on my gs2.

Wrayfield

I'm assuming then that you're not carrying your wallet in a trouser pocket, correct? Because I mostly don't. My SIII fits nicely in a jacket inside pocket, light and thin despite big screen.

I came from a Droid X and the Galaxy SIII, even with the bigger screen fits much better in my pocket because of how much thinner it is.

Emily Chu

Banned
A1To5l.jpg
2rCbXl.jpg

Younger 16 yr old bro just picked one up, on the verge of buying an ip4s until me and a sales rep told him that the ip4s was shit compared to this phone and for the same price of 199$ he can try it out for 14 days and if he didn't like it he can return it for an ip4s and pay a 35$ restocking fee.

but he's not gonna... : P

Kinda jelly from my galaxy nexus

They capped his data off at 2gb though

He used to have a shitty lg ally before that

So it must be amazing to him

Good for him though

Top Bottom