• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

saunderez

Well then, this phone is awesome

If you care enough the Cell Standby percentage is fixable. It is really using around 19% on my phone but was misreporting as high as 70% prior to the fix. Since it's just a cosmetic problem theres no real need.

Can someone point me to good live or normal wallpapers for the S3?

What are you after? I've got a pretty sweet Breaking Bad wallpaper at the moment. All you need is something sufficiently high resolution (at least 1280x1440).

iZ9Q3FcRdTi90.png

goober

If you care enough the Cell Standby percentage is fixable. It is really using around 19% on my phone but was misreporting as high as 70% prior to the fix. Since it's just a cosmetic problem theres no real need.

Oh I was being serious, not sarcastic, sorry if there was a misunderstanding. I really really like this phone.

And is the fix easy? I'd like to know

saunderez

Oh I was being serious, not sarcastic, sorry if there was a misunderstanding. I really really like this phone.

And is the fix easy? I'd like to know

Thats cool I didn't think you were being sarcastic! Just thought I should confirm that its only a cosmetic fault and it can be rectified.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1732722

There's the details for the fix for the i9300. If you have an American or Canadian GS3 the instructions may vary slightly but as long as you back up your power_profiles.xml before replacing them you should be fine.

Cr0wn0

Went to the mall this afternoon and saw that radio shack had the s3 on sale for 150$ and the guy said he could even get the activation waived. Went to the AT&T corp store in the mall and the CSR said he would rather me return the phones then give me a credit. Called customer service and they gave me a 100$ credit and waived the activation on both lines. Figured I would let you guys know!

goober

Thats cool I didn't think you were being sarcastic! Just thought I should confirm that its only a cosmetic fault and it can be rectified.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1732722

There's the details for the fix for the i9300. If you have an American or Canadian GS3 the instructions may vary slightly but as long as you back up your power_profiles.xml before replacing them you should be fine.

Sweet, thanks! Also, I've been looking at custom roms and stuff (I tried a couple on my SGS1), what's this stuff about a flash counter?

Anything else I should know about?

Cr0wn0

Sweet, thanks! Also, I've been looking at custom roms and stuff (I tried a couple on my SGS1), what's this stuff about a flash counter?

Anything else I should know about?

I put CM10 on my phone today and it ran great. I'm going to wait until its a bit further along but it will be my daily most likely soon. Flash counter can be taken care of with triangle away from what I understand.

suplex

Get GoSMS and then go to settings and receive settings and check Enable Group MMS. They will always come and go as an MMS.

Thanks, the setting was actually in the send settings, there was nothing about that in receive.

The group texting works now, but the program does some wacky stuff. When I get a response to a group text, I get two notifications (I did turn off notifications on the stock messaging app) I think one is for the individual convo and the other is for the group text because when I go to the message list the individual convo will be at the top of the list even if I haven't got an individual text from that person in a while. If I click on that convo and then exit, it goes back down the list. Really weird but I guess it will work for now. Maybe it works better in conjunction with the go launcher?

Also I lose the lock screen notification that says how many texts I missed. Any way to get this back? I couldn't find anything in the settings.

RiverBed

Banned
Help!
On the main screen, the thing that shows the weather and time disappeared; how do I bring it back up? I looked in settings but only found 'wallpapers' which do not do the trick.

Any suggestions?

RiverBed

Banned
Yes (thank you for that). I only found 'small screens' showing time, but not the original sexy one that takes 2/3rd of the top screen.
I just want the original screen I got the phone with.

VanWinkle

Help!
On the main screen, the thing that shows the weather and time disappeared; how do I bring it back up? I looked in settings but only found 'wallpapers' which do not do the trick.

Any suggestions?

Are you on the Touchwiz launcher? Because it doesn't show up on other launchers.

TrounceX

Man this sucks, I bought my Galaxy S3 today and the camera is fucked up right out of the box. There's this black smudge on the corner of the screen when looking through the camera lens which obviously shows up in pictures/video too. Must be a scratch or something :(

Husker86

Thanks, the setting was actually in the send settings, there was nothing about that in receive.

The group texting works now, but the program does some wacky stuff. When I get a response to a group text, I get two notifications (I did turn off notifications on the stock messaging app) I think one is for the individual convo and the other is for the group text because when I go to the message list the individual convo will be at the top of the list even if I haven't got an individual text from that person in a while. If I click on that convo and then exit, it goes back down the list. Really weird but I guess it will work for now. Maybe it works better in conjunction with the go launcher?

Also I lose the lock screen notification that says how many texts I missed. Any way to get this back? I couldn't find anything in the settings.
Yeah that behavior is what happens. Unfortunate we have to resort to a messy fix, hope Google adds support eventually. Not sure how to fix the notifications.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
welp that sucks. looks like my wifi is broken and the phone now has to be returned.

edit: does anyone know how to get itunes purchases on the S3?

bjaelke

What are you after? I've got a pretty sweet Breaking Bad wallpaper at the moment. All you need is something sufficiently high resolution (at least 1280x1440).
How did you manage to add the bar with games, media, reading etc. to your start screen? Has it replaced the default bar which allowed you scroll through screens?

EGM92

I'm looking to grab a SGS3 because of all of the development. I have the option of getting a 16gb international version or a 32GB Bell SGS3. Performance wise will the Quadcore version drain more power?

saunderez

How did you manage to add the bar with games, media, reading etc. to your start screen? Has it replaced the default bar which allowed you scroll through screens?

That was achieved by using Nova Launcher. They're just labelled folders (Grid folder preview and Platform folder backgrounds in settings). I just set the desktop grid to be 6 wide and dropped apps on each other above the dock to create the folders. They aren't present on page 1 or 3 of my screens because I use those pages for big informational widgets.

bjaelke

That was achieved by using Nova Launcher. They're just labelled folders (Grid folder preview and Platform folder backgrounds in settings). I just set the desktop grid to be 6 wide and dropped apps on each other above the dock to create the folders. They aren't present on page 1 or 3 of my screens because I use those pages for big informational widgets.

This changes everything, cheers! I'm completely new to Android/Samsung, so I'm learning new stuff all the time.

Yo Gaf, I have a question but might be offtopic: my microSD card says its damaged, my phone wont accept it anymore. This is the 2nd time its happening, first it got damaged after playing some songs, now it happened right after I took a picture, are they that fragile? Its a class 10 from Samsung. :/

saunderez

This changes everything, cheers! I'm completely new to Android/Samsung, so I'm learning new stuff all the time.

No probs. The best part of getting a new Android phone is messing around with different launchers. I've stuck with Nova Launcher since the Galaxy S2, it's fast and the dev is constantly adding features.

sun-drop

god i love this phone ...been ages now but every day i almost can't wait to pick the thing up.

one weird issue ive had with s-planner tho ... calendar events ive noticed are duplicating when syncing with my work's exchange server.

seen it mentioned a few times on the net ...wonder whats up

goober

is it that dark or is it brighter in person?

Dude seriously? It depends on the lighting. Those videos are accurate in what I see when I've look at my phone.

What more do you want

Go to your local AT&T if you want a better look

AndyD

aka andydumi
Any suggestions for a cheap charge dock? I want to buy one each for work and home. No media needed, just charge.

anyone having their wifi turn off and on randomly? im in a chat with samsung right now about the concern.

That happened to me. It was a glitchy phone so Verizon replaced it. Now I have a few issues with the screen locking up. Also, if I have wifi turned on and there's no wifi available it has trouble switching to 3g or 4g. It's like it doesn't know what to do until I turn off the wifi.

Other than that, it's very cool.

BFIB

anyone having their wifi turn off and on randomly? im in a chat with samsung right now about the concern.

Mine did this yesterday. I noticed that my 3G was on and wi-fi was off. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but I'm concerned if others are having the same issue.

Niks

Just wandering what everyone was using. Its kinda hard to find 1440px tall images.

I'm looking to grab a SGS3 because of all of the development. I have the option of getting a 16gb international version or a 32GB Bell SGS3. Performance wise will the Quadcore version drain more power?
About the same. I think the quadcore is slightly better, but not by much.

FireCloud

Yo Gaf, I have a question but might be offtopic: my microSD card says its damaged, my phone wont accept it anymore. This is the 2nd time its happening, first it got damaged after playing some songs, now it happened right after I took a picture, are they that fragile? Its a class 10 from Samsung. :/

Shouldn't be that fragile. You might try formatting the sdcard to see if that helps. If not if you have another you might try it to see if the problem persists. If so it could be the phone. If the problem stops when you try another you might have a bad sdcard.

RiverBed

Banned
How to I initiate the 'search' function on the app/widget pages? Currently, I manually slide throw the app pages, but there has to be a search function, right?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
How to I initiate the 'search' function on the app/widget pages? Currently, I manually slide throw the app pages, but there has to be a search function, right?

It's 3 different app drawer settings.

I use the Rolodex settings with the alphabets on the side. It makes going through the apps quick and painless.

You could always long press the menu button, bring up search, and type in the app if you're looking for...that is.. if you still have local search on your phone.

RiverBed

Banned
Okay, I have to say; I am not confident in Samsung products due to bad experiences with them in the past. I had a Samsung microwave and air conditioner failing me HORRIBLY!
I had an LG phone in the past that got me so frustrated I literally smashed it on the ground while trying to use it (LG and Samsung being relatively similar in hardware/software design). I really, REALLY, didn't want the S3 due to the Samsung name. I've been using the S3 phone for a few days and I must say; this product is FUCKING AMAZING! I still can't believe how thin it is whilst creaming all that advanced tech! I absolutely LOVE intuitive design. The S3 has that. OMG, I snicker at the fact that a yer ago, I had the audacity to think the HTC Thunderbolt was the end all product (hardware wise, it was good, but it falls horribly on the software part).

I look at my extremely thin, yet extremely large and crisp screen of the S3 and can't help think to my self 'WTF?! in my hands right now, this thing looks like a shopped ad photo of the device!' It actually looks that good.

I was waiting on either the S3 or the iPhone 5 to serve my techie/nerdy mobile gadget fetish, and now I think I made the right choice. I doubt if iPhone 5 can offer enough to make me ditch the S3, but I'll still give it a fair shot.

To anybody that have the option, I really think the S3 is the phone they had imagined when they first heard of 'smart phones' or 'Android' how ever many years ago.

I love how technology moves so fast, and I love innovative and 'yes, that's what I expected' smooth design flow of forward thinking. I am now seriously considering buying a Samsung smart TV due to that. Until now, I only had a Sony smart TV as an purchase candidate. Plus, Samsung is continually overtaking Sony in the hardware design department. I always revered Sony design as it is always breath taking. But currently, Samsung TV designs are absolutely amazing.

To sum up:
S3 is slim, has a gorgeous big screen and intuitive software. I don't know if the latter point is due to Samsung software design or the latest Android or both, and I don't care; it's all about the results- and the S3 delivers.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hey guys,

My father just got a S3 not too long ago, and was wondering how would I be able to sync all his information from his iPhone 4 to his latest S3?

From my understanding, there is the "Easy Phone Sync" application but apparently the application is only available to those who are located in the UK.

What are some other solutions that can make this transition seamless and smooth?

Thanks!

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Mine did this yesterday. I noticed that my 3G was on and wi-fi was off. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but I'm concerned if others are having the same issue.

Samsung has no answer currently for this other than factory reset. Factory reset does not fix the problem so I will return mine tomorrow to get a replacement. Love the phone :)

demented

Dropped to 450eur without contract but seen some for ~420 week or two used hm.
I'd probably buy it if I had my money from work I did -_-
Maybe it's better that I don't so I have to wait a bit longer and buy it for 400 euros lol. But can't wait to have it, my phone is annoying as fuck.

Top Bottom