• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Unicorn

Welp. I've had it for about a month and somehow on my way to work, in my front pocket, the screen got cracked. I haven't dropped it, never had a problem with my OG DROID in the 2+ years I had it, so never thought I needed insurance, I'm now feeling really down.

I honestly don't understand how this happened. It was fine right before I put in my pocket before driving to work, but once I got out of my car, I took it out of my pocket to text a friend and saw from the home button up it was all shattered.

I'm mad and don't know what's going to happen when I go into Verizon today, but I'm thinking I'll just get a different phone e depending on what they want to replace/fix this.

This is supposed to have gorilla glass, like the DROID, right?

Emily Chu

Banned
Welp. I've had it for about a month and somehow on my way to work, in my front pocket, the screen got cracked. I haven't dropped it, never had a problem with my OG DROID in the 2+ years I had it, so never thought I needed insurance, I'm now feeling really down.

I honestly don't understand how this happened. It was fine right before I put in my pocket before driving to work, but once I got out of my car, I took it out of my pocket to text a friend and saw from the home button up it was all shattered.

I'm mad and don't know what's going to happen when I go into Verizon today, but I'm thinking I'll just get a different phone e depending on what they want to replace/fix this.

dang.... did you use a case with it ?

Cr0wn0

I have a weird feeling they got some defective glass in a few of these phones. I keep hearing this same situation over and over. Phone is fine and then all of the sudden the glass is broken. Its either a defect or gorilla glass 2 really sucks.

Can someone tell me how to set my wallpaper so it rotates and fits properly in landscape mode like the stock wallpapers do? I feel like an idiot but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm using Nova launcher as well if that matters at all. All my wallpapers are fine in portrait but when rotated only show a rectangle in the center of the screen instead of filling it completely.

Quoting myself in the hopes of getting some help.

Unicorn

I have a weird feeling they got some defective glass in a few of these phones. I keep hearing this same situation over and over. Phone is fine and then all of the sudden the glass is broken. Its either a defect or gorilla glass 2 really sucks.
Think warranty will cover it? Any way for that to be known haha

Picked mine up over this last weekend. Was going to hold out for the next iPhone as I was previously using an ancient 3GS. Couldn't wait any longer though as applications were entirely unreliable and the battery life on the 3GS was practically non-existent at this point. So, I took the plunge on the SIII and on Android in general.

Absolutely loving it. Coming from the closed walled off system of iOS - the degree of customization is incredible. Loving the Widget idea too. Took me a day or two to really get my head around the concept of it, but now that I have I can't imagine loosing that functionality. The device it self is also really impressive. Super quick. The screen is beautiful. Thinner and longer than the 3GS I had it still fits in my pocket - even better than the 3GS to be honest.

Right now my only real complaint is that the battery doesn't seem exactly stellar. Left the house full charged this morning at 730am and now 8 hours later it is at 60% with just some Spotify use on the way in, and lunch time web browsing over Wifi. When I stopped at the gym yesterday after work and continued to listen to music streamed over the network - the phone was at 15% when I got home at 8. Granted that was almost 12 hours with some heavy use on the network at the end - but for a brand new phone I kind of expected to get a pretty consistent full day out of it without having to worry about usage of music streaming/web browsing.

Is this unusual? Possibly a bum battery? Or were my expectations out of line finding the rest of the device such a huge leap over what I had been previously using?

CrankyJay

Banned
Picked mine up over this last weekend. Was going to hold out for the next iPhone as I was previously using an ancient 3GS. Couldn't wait any longer though as applications were entirely unreliable and the battery life on the 3GS was practically non-existent at this point. So, I took the plunge on the SIII and on Android in general.

Absolutely loving it. Coming from the closed walled off system of iOS - the degree of customization is incredible. Loving the Widget idea too. Took me a day or two to really get my head around the concept of it, but now that I have I can't imagine loosing that functionality. The device it self is also really impressive. Super quick. The screen is beautiful. Thinner and longer than the 3GS I had it still fits in my pocket - even better than the 3GS to be honest.

Right now my only real complaint is that the battery doesn't seem exactly stellar. Left the house full charged this morning at 730am and now 8 hours later it is at 60% with just some Spotify use on the way in, and lunch time web browsing over Wifi. When I stopped at the gym yesterday after work and continued to listen to music streamed over the network - the phone was at 15% when I got home at 8. Granted that was almost 12 hours with some heavy use on the network at the end - but for a brand new phone I kind of expected to get a pretty consistent full day out of it without having to worry about usage of music streaming/web browsing.

Is this unusual? Possibly a bum battery? Or were my expectations out of line finding the rest of the device such a huge leap over what I had been previously using?

Aren't there apps that measure the battery usage by program or app so you can tinker with your settings and turn off the processes that you won't need?

Satyamdas

Banned
Battery sucks
I had the same reaction, especially coming from an iPhone where battery life is really good. Sounds like you are getting typical mileage from your battery so far.

First thing I did was buy a couple spare batteries (2300mAh each compared to the stock battery's 2100mAh), which also have the NFC stuff if that's important to you.

$25 @ Amazon

Then later I rooted and flashed my s3 with the Phantom Blaze rom, and immediately I noticed big battery improvements. I used to listen to some music at work, do light browsing during lunch, some texts and calls, and l'd get home with 30-40% left. Now with the same usage and my 2300mAh battery + custom rom, I have gotten home with as much as 70% battery life left. Really a night and day difference.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
If you haven't already, please go by your local McDonald's and use NFC to pay for some fries. The looks on the worker's faces when you tap dat paypass is well worth the 2 year contract lock down.

Weird. My battery life is amazing. And if I'm being a home body I can get three days out easily. Tethering watching big bang and streaming pandora ill get a full day. Much better than my 4s..

Kyoufu

Weird. My battery life is amazing. And if I'm being a home body I can get three days out easily. Tethering watching big bang and streaming pandora ill get a full day. Much better than my 4s..

How are you getting 3 days? Mine lasts a day if I actually use the thing.

edit: what is a home body

saunderez

I dunno if I can get 3 days but I can easily get 2.

i71oVW9B4TwRo.png

This was more of a standby test than anything but it shows I can easily get 2 days of light usage, 1 day of solid usage.

tokkun

How are you getting 3 days? Mine lasts a day if I actually use the thing.

edit: what is a home body

The reception on the phone is garbage, so battery life is going to be highly dependent on the signal strength in the places you spend the most time.

Unicorn

People with screens mysteriously cracking, was the phone and/or battery hot to the touch?
Hard to determine that since I live in Arizona and this week has been 106+ degree weather.
The reception on the phone is garbage, so battery life is going to be highly dependent on the signal strength in the places you spend the most time.
To add to this. My biggest gripes about this phone (mysterious cracking screens aside) is that it is absolutely dreadful at performing its function as a phone. Driving and talking is actually 100% unusable as calls break up so much (on Verizon btw and always have bars[previous phone never had these problems.]) and I can never hear, even with volume maxed and with the volume booster enabled. Speaker phone is laughably quiet (compared to OG DROID). Every single person I have talked to over the phone, everyone, has said they get feedback when talking to me. I have to turn my volume down past halfway for them to no longer experience that, so the microphone must be extra sensitive to cause that feedback.

Again the outside speaker sucks, so streaming music anywhere besides my bedroom is pointless. At least this phone hasn't randomly muted me, leading to people hanging up, like my DROID used to do. But, I'm so disgusted by the faults of the phone aspect that it overshadows all the other things this phone does so well.

Sagitario

I will probably get the SIII this week or next (international version).

What is this about cracking screens and bad reception? D:

rozay

Banned
It's currently set to 'Only when plugged in' which is fine as it does turn off when the phone goes to sleep. Only the issue is, is that when I use the phone again it doesn't matter how long I wait, the wifi (although it's on) doesn't actually connect. When I go to the wifi options, I can see that it's still scanning. It doesn't pick up ANY routers. I turn it off, then back on and they all appear again and it automatically connects to mine.

I had this at random times with my GS2 as well.
It's actually better on the battery to leave it to Always stay connected, because connecting/disconnecting constantly between 3G/4G/wifi will be worse on your battery than just leaving wi-fi on with a 3G voice connection in the background. If you're still getting that issue with it always on, it could be a problem with the wifi chip on your phone.

When you say it can't find any routers, do you mean that yours is the only one in range or there are multiple others that also disappear?

I've got a 9300 BlackBerry... thinking about grabbing this phone soon. Can't wait, it'll be nice to be able to use the internet without having to turn off images :D (and not worry about it still not loading 75% of the time).

Socreges

Banned
Using ICS+ as my browser. its great but I've got a couple questions. How can I jump to the top or bottom of a page? And is there any way to get rid of that stupid Yahoo bookmark?

Socreges

Banned
I've got a 9300 BlackBerry... thinking about grabbing this phone soon. Can't wait, it'll be nice to be able to use the internet without having to turn off images :D (and not worry about it still not loading 75% of the time).
i greatly miss my 9700 keyboard but I had the same issues as you and am so glad to have moved on. The Android OS is amazing

snoopen

Anyone else got the same copy and paste issue where copying causes the app to crash?

I got the case mate commuter case.. Recommended, quite solid and not too thick.

snoopen

Are you using SwiftKey? The only fix I have read is to reset the phone and start again. The issue only started once I installed chrome funnily enough. Has stuck around even after uninstaling

Shiggy

Are you using SwiftKey? The only fix I have read is to reset the phone and start again. The issue only started once I installed chrome funnily enough. Has stuck around even after uninstaling

Yes, I'm using Swiftkey Trial. But just tried copying in Firefox and it works. So it should be a Chrome bug.
(Nonetheless, I still don't know how to paste links into corresponding field.)

Do you like Swiftkey? Sometimes it doesn't let me delete words and adds letters if I press the delete button. Also, I have huge trouble going to a specific part of my text as SwiftKey often jumps back to some place it has underlined.

saunderez

google Now working brilliantly on my S3 at the mo, running on a rooted samsung ICS rom.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=29756226&postcount=2856

love it.

Thanks for that installing now.

Do you like Swiftkey? Sometimes it doesn't let me delete words and adds letters if I press the delete button. Also, I have huge trouble going to a specific part of my text as SwiftKey often jumps back to some place it has underlined.

I used to use it exclusively on my GS2 but it's been playing up on my GS3 so I've gone back to the shitty stock keyboard for now.

Gattsu25

Banned
That's happened to me, as well (the delete button adding text) on more than one occassion.

I have noticed that Swiftkey is getting better the longer I use it to the point where I prefer it over the Samsung keyboard now.

That said, the first day or so was one of the most frustrating times I've ever had with a touch keyboard. What an amazingly negative first impression.

It's actually better on the battery to leave it to Always stay connected, because connecting/disconnecting constantly between 3G/4G/wifi will be worse on your battery than just leaving wi-fi on with a 3G voice connection in the background. If you're still getting that issue with it always on, it could be a problem with the wifi chip on your phone.

When you say it can't find any routers, do you mean that yours is the only one in range or there are multiple others that also disappear?

I just have it at that setting as most of the time I'm out of my house (and most of that time, it's in sleep). And I only ever use 2g as 3G reception where I work is terrible.

Yeah, there would be no routers listed when usually there are around 5 or 6 (which made me think there was a problem with the phone). But it looks like changing my router settings to use any channel automatically instead of just 11, fixed the issue. Pretty strange really as my wifes phone didn't have the problem, and nor does my iPod touch or laptop.

Thanks anyway.

I dunno if I can get 3 days but I can easily get 2.

This was more of a standby test than anything but it shows I can easily get 2 days of light usage, 1 day of solid usage.

Wow. See, that's the kind of battery life I was expecting - easy to get a full day, and possibly more with light use.

Totally not a deal breaker, just surprised. Perhaps it does have to do with signal though? I used to put my iPhone in Airplane mode at my workplace because the signal reception was so terrible - but the SIII seemed better so I haven't bothered. (Now by better, I mean actually getting ONE bar of signal as opposed to none). Maybe I should try putting it in airplane mode as well and seeing how that works. Not like I'm using it for phone calls at work anyways.

surly

Banned
I just got prompted to update the firmware, which must be about the 4th update I've had for the phone since I bought it. The baseband version is now I9300XXLH1.

Red Mercury said:
I used to put my iPhone in Airplane mode at my workplace because the signal reception was so terrible - but the SIII seemed better so I haven't bothered. (Now by better, I mean actually getting ONE bar of signal as opposed to none).
That would almost certainly account for the difference!

There this deal over here on the GSIII: 30 euros for the Galaxy S3 on a 2 year contract. The contract is 24 euro's a month and includes 420 minutes and unlimited internet. Too bad I'm broke :(

Can a family member use their upgrade to purchase a GS3 for the 2 year contract price and give it to another family member or does it have to stay at the number of the upgraded?

surly

Banned
Can a family member use their upgrade to purchase a GS3 for the 2 year contract price and give it to another family member or does it have to stay at the number of the upgraded?
I don't know where you are, but in the UK the phone isn't tied to the number, but it may or may not be tied to the network.

Top Bottom