• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

rc213

Can a family member use their upgrade to purchase a GS3 for the 2 year contract price and give it to another family member or does it have to stay at the number of the upgraded?

On T-Mobile it doesn't have to stay on the number it was purchased on. You pay for the phone either way.

Ecto311

I'm in the US so its locked in to ATT. I know the number is on the SIM, but I wonder if its really as easy and switching them.

That would be a cross upgrade and it's easy. I did it my self and my wife did it from her mom's account to our account. If you call and the person doing it sounds unsure or puts you on hold a lot just end the call and call back. Being an employee of an att call center this is the best advice. I also test it all with them and if possible have another phone with you to make sure the voice mail is working.

TimeKillr

Anyone else got the same copy and paste issue where copying causes the app to crash?

I got the case mate commuter case.. Recommended, quite solid and not too thick.

My GF's phone has the problem.

The problem apparently seems to lie in corrupted data in some clipboard folder: if you do a factory reset, it'll clear the problem entirely.

Or, if you're rooted your phone beforehand, you can use root explorer, go into the clipboard folder, delete it, fix permissions with CWM and you're good to go. I have to do it for my gf's phone, but I need to root it first, and rooting it means she's losing all the crap she has on it right now :(

That would be a cross upgrade and it's easy. I did it my self and my wife did it from her mom's account to our account. If you call and the person doing it sounds unsure or puts you on hold a lot just end the call and call back. Being an employee of an att call center this is the best advice. I also test it all with them and if possible have another phone with you to make sure the voice mail is working.
Awesome. I'm glad I now have a name for it when i walk into the store.

Shiggy

I'm moving to Hong Kong next month. Will the Google Play Store also change its region or is that tied to my German firmware?

Just got home with my new SIII and I'm loving it. It's my first smartphone.

One thing I can't figure out is how to remove widgets. I hold down on the ugly weather widget and pull it down to the delete icon but nothing happens. Any help with this?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Just got home with my new SIII and I'm loving it. It's my first smartphone.

One thing I can't figure out is how to remove widgets. I hold down on the ugly weather widget and pull it down to the delete icon but nothing happens. Any help with this?

drag it to the trash can at the bottom until the widget turns red

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Still waiting for my S III to arrive, and I was just looking at the phone camera vs. real camera thread, which made me want to know if the camera on this is any good. From what I've seen, there's a lot of stuff in frame, but is it possible to make stuff look really good with it? Is it as good as the camera on the iPhone 4S?

Calamari41

41 > 38
This is my first ever smartphone, and I have what is probably a really dumb question. I can get onto the web browser and the app store and all of that just fine when I connect to WiFi, but for some reason I can't connect via the 3G or whatever when there's no WiFi available. It just says "No Connection" with the "Retry" button underneath.

I'm super embarrassed to be asking this, and I feel like somebody's grandma here, but is there something I have to do in the settings to enable this? I have full signal.

Still waiting for my S III to arrive, and I was just looking at the phone camera vs. real camera thread, which made me want to know if the camera on this is any good. From what I've seen, there's a lot of stuff in frame, but is it possible to make stuff look really good with it? Is it as good as the camera on the iPhone 4S?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1671115

Has a bunch.

I've read and experienced it to be just as good as the 4s. It's suppose to have the same sensor in it.

Husker86

This is my first ever smartphone, and I have what is probably a really dumb question. I can get onto the web browser and the app store and all of that just fine when I connect to WiFi, but for some reason I can't connect via the 3G or whatever when there's no WiFi available. It just says "No Connection" with the "Retry" button underneath.

I'm super embarrassed to be asking this, and I feel like somebody's grandma here, but is there something I have to do in the settings to enable this? I have full signal.

The "retry" thing in the Play Store has plagued all of my Android devices, however hitting the Retry button usually loads the stuff up.

If no app on your phone can connect to data while on 3G it sounds like your Mobile Data is shut off. I can't remember if that is one of the toggles in the Notification pane on the GSIII but another way to get to the setting is: Settings->Mobile Networks(Or More->Mobile Networks, can't remember GSIII Settings layout)->make sure "Data Enabled" is checked.

What carrier are you on?

Calamari41

41 > 38
The "retry" thing in the Play Store has plagued all of my Android devices, however hitting the Retry button usually loads the stuff up.

If no app on your phone can connect to data while on 3G it sounds like your Mobile Data is shut off. I can't remember if that is one of the toggles in the Notification pane on the GSIII but another way to get to the setting is: Settings->Mobile Networks(Or More->Mobile Networks, can't remember GSIII Settings layout)->make sure "Data Enabled" is checked.

What carrier are you on?

I just switched to AT&T yesterday so maybe the Data isn't activated yet for some reason.

When I go to the page in Settings that you're talking about, the only options are: Use Packet Data, Data Roaming, Access Point Names, and Network Operators. Data Roaming is currently off. Maybe that needs to be on?

VVVV I just checked in the "Data Usage" screen to check out if I had limits set up, and that is where the "Mobile Data" on/off is. It was and is currently on, and the limits are off, and I still get the "No Connection" thing. VVVV

Kozmo

I actually had a similar issue with my Galaxy Nexus for awhile. When I looked checked my Accounts sync statuses, my google account would have issues completely syncing while not on wifi.

It turns out (and I'm going by memory here) that I'd enabled mobile data limits on my phone, and then checked off "Restrict background data" on certain apps. If I'm right, disabling either this restriction, or the overall "Set mobile data limit" option in your "Data Usage" setting, will solve the issue.

Question: Has anyone considered the keyboard mod for the phone, as seen here: https://sites.google.com/site/galaxykeyboard/

I'm probably going to attempt it, with a few mods to my liking. I'll order a new back to the phone from eBay (About $10), attach the bluetooth sliding keyboard directly to that back, via drilling a hole and reusing the screws, and using metal glue to seal the two together. Should make for a really thin, almost unibody design that'll be worth it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I just switched to AT&T yesterday so maybe the Data isn't activated yet for some reason.

When I go to the page in Settings that you're talking about, the only options are: Use Packet Data, Data Roaming, Access Point Names, and Network Operators. Data Roaming is currently off. Maybe that needs to be on?

VVVV I just checked in the "Data Usage" screen to check out if I had limits set up, and that is where the "Mobile Data" on/off is. It was and is currently on, and the limits are off, and I still get the "No Connection" thing. VVVV

Also make sure you don't have airplane mode turned on.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Ok I just noticed a second WiFi Signal looking icon right next to the phone signal icon. I didn't notice it before because it was transparent (only one bar). It also has an orange down arrow and a green up arrow. I assume that this is the 3G signal, and that my problem is happening because I'm not getting a signal where I am right now. Is that right?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm probably getting this phone sometime soon. It's kinda hard to justify to myself spending almost a month's whole salary for a cellphone, but I want it so bad.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ok I just noticed a second WiFi Signal looking icon right next to the phone signal icon. I didn't notice it before because it was transparent (only one bar). It also has an orange down arrow and a green up arrow. I assume that this is the 3G signal, and that my problem is happening because I'm not getting a signal where I am right now. Is that right?

Next to the pone signal should be data signal. Here is mine showing 4G. The 3G icon is similar except it says 3G.

Screenshot_2012-08-10-12-25-06.png

You can also check your phone signal strength in the settings under battery usage.

Question: Has anyone considered the keyboard mod for the phone, as seen here: https://sites.google.com/site/galaxykeyboard/

I'm probably going to attempt it, with a few mods to my liking. I'll order a new back to the phone from eBay (About $10), attach the bluetooth sliding keyboard directly to that back, via drilling a hole and reusing the screws, and using metal glue to seal the two together. Should make for a really thin, almost unibody design that'll be worth it.

take photos of your progress, sounds like a nice idea. especially since you can easily swap back plates to have the kb or not!

Can someone tell me how to set my wallpaper so it rotates and fits properly in landscape mode like the stock wallpapers do? I feel like an idiot but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm using Nova launcher as well if that matters at all. All my wallpapers are fine in portrait but when rotated only show a rectangle in the center of the screen instead of filling it completely.

Asking one more time and then I give up.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I think I might be getting one of these soon, maybe.

I've had an absolutely horrible time with my Nexus S 4g on Sprint service. I went into a Sprint store last weekend and to make a long story short I was treated like I was a complete idiot. Employee accused me of downloading a bunch of 'junk' that made my phone slow before he even saw it. Then literally snatched it out of my hand like a thief on the street and started walking to the back with it while telling me "I'm going to reset your phone and get all this junk off so it will work right."

Little did he know I factory reset the thing 2 days prior to coming to the store.

Ummm... No. Took my phone back left the store and emailed their CS VP. His assistant called me back today. I politely requested that they send me a phone with a 4g network they currently and will actively support. Nexus S 4g is on their now defunct WiMax service.

She said they were going to look into it and will let me know by Monday. Honestly I'm not expecting much more than the continued apologies. We'll see.

Sagitario

Just got the phone. On blue, cause white was sold out.

This [probably] has been asked a bunch of times, but: any recommendations for cases/covers, screen protectors and perhaps other accessories? I am also thinking of picking up some extended batteries.

Cr0wn0

Just got the phone. On blue, cause white was sold out.

This [probably] has been asked a bunch of times, but: any recommendations for cases/covers, screen protectors and perhaps other accessories? I am also thinking of picking up some extended batteries.

I bought a skinomi screen protector, qcell extended battery( this was one of the only ones that supports NFC.) qcell also sells a cheap tpu case that works with the extended battery. I also have a dizztronic case for when I dont want to use the extended battery. I think everything was around 40$ shipped from amazon.

Edit, the batteries you linked are just regular batteries so its up to you if you want to swap them all the time or get the big 4300mah extended battery. I prefer the bulk that the extended battery gives and I love not worrying about battery life.

soultron

Banned
Frig. I've waited so long to get this phone that now I might hold out to see what the iPhone 5 is like if it's indeed being announced in Sept.

Cipherr

I think I might be getting one of these soon, maybe.

I've had an absolutely horrible time with my Nexus S 4g on Sprint service. I went into a Sprint store last weekend and to make a long story short I was treated like I was a complete idiot. Employee accused me of downloading a bunch of 'junk' that made my phone slow before he even saw it. Then literally snatched it out of my hand like a thief on the street and started walking to the back with it while telling me "I'm going to reset your phone and get all this junk off so it will work right."

Little did he know I factory reset the thing 2 days prior to coming to the store.

Ummm... No. Took my phone back left the store and emailed their CS VP. His assistant called me back today. I politely requested that they send me a phone with a 4g network they currently and will actively support. Nexus S 4g is on their now defunct WiMax service.

She said they were going to look into it and will let me know by Monday. Honestly I'm not expecting much more than the continued apologies. We'll see.

Jeeeeeeesus dude that sucks. But yeah... I dont see them giving you a new phone, WiMax or not. I think you are boned on that front. Probably time to switch carriers if the CSR's in the stores near you are that bad.

Sagitario

After playing with the phone and seeing all the carrier crap, I feel like rooting >_<

I bought a skinomi screen protector, qcell extended battery( this was one of the only ones that supports NFC.) qcell also sells a cheap tpu case that works with the extended battery. I also have a dizztronic case for when I dont want to use the extended battery. I think everything was around 40$ shipped from amazon.

Edit, the batteries you linked are just regular batteries so its up to you if you want to swap them all the time or get the big 4300mah extended battery. I prefer the bulk that the extended battery gives and I love not worrying about battery life.

Thanks for the tips! :)

An-Det

For the gps navigation, the default is to dim the music playing in the background while giving the turn-by-turn. That's annoying as hell and makes it tough to understand the directions, so is there a way to have it simply pause the music and have the nav play properly (like it did on my Droid X)?

I got one of those official Samsung flip cases for my phone. I bought a pebble blue one for my white phone, cause I thought it looked neat... but then I changed my mind and went back ten minutes later to exchange it for a white one, and they said no refunds/exchanges.

Darn.

Swag

Don't know how or from where, but my phone has a small scratch on it, have never dropped it. Quite disappointing as I'll have to put an ugly screen protector on it now.

Is the guerilla glass used in the S3 of a lesser quality then standard or something?

tokkun

For the gps navigation, the default is to dim the music playing in the background while giving the turn-by-turn. That's annoying as hell and makes it tough to understand the directions, so is there a way to have it simply pause the music and have the nav play properly (like it did on my Droid X)?

Mine pauses by default.

is this when you're connecting the phone to the car stereo somehow? or just music playing from the phone speakers? what I mean is, does the navigation voice go through your car speakers too? I don't have an fm transmitter or any place to plug an aux cable into my car stereo but that sounds cool

Unicorn

Don't know how or from where, but my phone has a small scratch on it, have never dropped it. Quite disappointing as I'll have to put an ugly screen protector on it now.

Is the guerilla glass used in the S3 of a lesser quality then standard or something?
This really needs to be further investigated.

Talked to a rep about my situation and they said they would reimburse me any repair costs since when FedEx delivered it the box was damaged.

It's suppose to be of a highe quality, it's version 2 of the glass.

I picked up the screen protector from xgear and it's pretty awesome. Slapped a white one on my blue phone. Ordered a white back so waiting for that to come in. White with a blue siding looks nice and I won't have to worry about scratches.

dqnp3l.jpg

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
For the sharing function that doesn't let the receiver save the files, can't they just do screenshots and save those?

And I'm still waiting on my S III. It arrived on Friday while I was at work, so I have to wait until Monday for it to be delivered again. The screen protector arrived, though. Huzzah...

EDIT: Don't know if it was already answered, but is there a way to disable the camera shutter sound without rooting? I don't want to void my warranty just to keep it from making a sound. Does covering the speaker with your finger work at all?

Toki767

For the sharing function that doesn't let the receiver save the files, can't they just do screenshots and save those?

And I'm still waiting on my S III. It arrived on Friday while I was at work, so I have to wait until Monday for it to be delivered again. The screen protector arrived, though. Huzzah...

EDIT: Don't know if it was already answered, but is there a way to disable the camera shutter sound without rooting? I don't want to void my warranty just to keep it from making a sound. Does covering the speaker with your finger work at all?

Technically yes. Though I guess they'd have to realize they can do that.

To disable sound, go into the settings in the camera app and scroll down to shutter sound. No need to be rooted.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
To disable sound, go into the settings in the camera app and scroll down to shutter sound. No need to be rooted.

I keep seeing that, but I also see people saying it doesn't work on the Sprint model (the one I ordered). Does it only work on certain models?

Kyoufu

It's suppose to be of a highe quality, it's version 2 of the glass.

I picked up the screen protector from xgear and it's pretty awesome. Slapped a white one on my blue phone. Ordered a white back so waiting for that to come in. White with a blue siding looks nice and I won't have to worry about scratches.

dqnp3l.jpg

Where do I buy one in the UK?

Top Bottom