• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Got mine last Thursday, in red. Love it.
The 4x4 grid was killing me, so much wasted space. So i bumped it up to 6x4.
ibbc5q16qBUvv1.png

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Jeeeeeeesus dude that sucks. But yeah... I dont see them giving you a new phone, WiMax or not. I think you are boned on that front. Probably time to switch carriers if the CSR's in the stores near you are that bad.

Yea, we'll see what happens they keep telling me they will cut me a deal on a new phone by giving me 75 bucks for my Nexus S and me paying the difference on the contract price by extending my contract. However, I keep telling them I don't want to give sprint more money for a phone that does what the other one should have.

Push comes to shove I will likely take their original deal if they won't give me one outright since it would be something like 120 bucks for the phone that way.

It probably sounds silly for anyone without an anxiety disorder but I feel very intimidated and uncomfortable if I would have to step in that sprint store again and that one is the only one relatively close that isn't just a sales kiosk.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Ugh, my S3 has developed a problem over the last few days. I'll suddenly stop receiving any text messages that contacts send me, which of course I don't know is happening until I attempt to send one myself, whereupon I get an error message saying the text can't be sent. Upon rebooting my phone, I get all of the messages that hadn't arrived previously, plus my own then go through.

Anyone seen anything like this? No idea what's causing it, it's happened twice in the last week. This is my first Android phone and so far it's not exactly behaving as I'd hoped...

Cr0wn0

Do any of you have a bunch of family plan lines open to upgrade yearly? A Friend of mine told me he and his wife have 4 lines and just upgrade to whatever the hot phone is each year. He says its only 20$ a month more plus he sells the old phones as he upgrades. I want to do this also but I'm worried I'm missing something and figured you guys might have some insight. I know its off topic but since many of you just upgraded to this phone figured Its a good place to ask.

An-Det

is this when you're connecting the phone to the car stereo somehow? or just music playing from the phone speakers? what I mean is, does the navigation voice go through your car speakers too? I don't have an fm transmitter or any place to plug an aux cable into my car stereo but that sounds cool

Yeah, I use an adapter (3.55 mm headphone jack to cassette player). Not sure how it is when it isn't plugged into anything. The music plays through the car speakers, and when turn-by-turn starts, the music volume dims while the nav speaks (still through the car speakers).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got one today! It's white, as it's the only one released in my country. As my first Android phone, what apps and themes and stuff do you recommend, GAF?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Finally got one today! It's white, as it's the only one released in my country. As my first Android phone, what apps and themes and stuff do you recommend, GAF?

First thing I did was move my Google Authenticator over to my new phone. After that, it was side loading the Amazon App store. They offer a free app of the day, so definitely check that out. Next thing I did was get Swype because the default T9(?) is horrendous.

I purchased Beautiful Widgets, a while ago and I think it's great, grabbed Chrome (but it's not working with the GB site all that well for videos right now)

Set up your music player (it's Amazon for me), podcast player be it something free or maybe a good paid one.

There's so much of a personal preference, it's hard to say.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Have you guys decided on the best option for a case? I'd like something durable that'll protect it should I drop it, but I'd also like to not have that stupid screen protector. Stuff just makes me irritated and it's generally unneeded

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Was getting alot of gapps issues yesterday. For some reason it constantly was failing to sync up my bookmarks and breaking my phone. To fix it I had to uncheck the sync internet option in my Accounts. But that sucks not having sync'ed bookmarks anymore. Anyone experienced this too?

Tess3ract

Banned
What's "USCC" and why no ROMs?
What color did you get?

I'm loving the phone too. So fast! I only wish it hat 2GB of RAM instead.
US Cellular. There's no CM10 or CM9 for SCH-R530U (my version) and PA is on CM10 so until CM10 is for my model, I got nothing like that.

It's a white 32gb version (though formatted to 25gb)

got a 32gb mSD in the mail too.

Also you wish it had 2GB of ram? Mine has 2GB of ram...

Sagitario

US Cellular. There's no CM10 or CM9 for SCH-R530U (my version) and PA is on CM10 so until CM10 is for my model, I got nothing like that.

It's a white 32gb version (though formatted to 25gb)

got a 32gb mSD in the mail too.

Also you wish it had 2GB of ram? Mine has 2GB of ram...

I got a 16GB blue one + 32GB mSD.

And yeah, 2GB of RAM. I only got 1GB (international quad core).
I hate when I go back to the browser and it has to reload everything because the OS couldn't keep it in memory (specially cause I have limited data or sometimes a bad wi-fi signal and I can't load a thing). Some times it doesn't even save the tabs (Chrome).

I guess that's a tradeoff because the version I have has 2gb of ram or so but only a 1.5 Dual Core processor

That dual core in the NA version, is a newer CPU, with faster per core performance. It's real world performance is just as good as the quad core in the International version. Just because one thing is a dual core doesn't automatically make it slower or worse than another thing with a quad core. It's not that simple.

rozay

Banned
That dual core in the NA version, is a newer CPU, with faster per core performance. It's real world performance is just as good as the quad core in the International version. Just because one thing is a dual core doesn't automatically make it slower or worse than another thing with a quad core. It's not that simple.
It's better to look at it as a tradeoff between the better RAM in the american version and the better GPU in the international version, though more people will benefit from the former. It's nice to not have the browser have to reload pages when you're using a lot of apps at once.

Hopefully the next nexus has more than a gig of ram...

edit: add my friend to the list of people with broken screens :(

kitch9

Banned
It's better to look at it as a tradeoff between the better RAM in the american version and the better GPU in the international version, though more people will benefit from the former. It's nice to not have the browser have to reload pages when you're using a lot of apps at once.

Hopefully the next nexus has more than a gig of ram...

edit: add my friend to the list of people with broken screens :(

The new firmware pretty much fixed the browser reload though... Samsung set priorities wrong that's all.

Gattsu25

Banned
So does anyone have a control list for the Galaxy S3 headphones?

I know that:
+/- increase/decrease controls.
The main button pauses/plays
Pressing the main button while getting a call picks up the phone
Pressing the volume buttons while getting a call mutes the ringtone

What I'm mainly looking for is a way to use these to initiate phone calls. The main thing that I used my headset for on the iPhone was to hold the main button, say "Call <contact name>" and then talk to the person. Is there any way I can do something similar with these?

Socreges

Banned
Camera/Wallpaper question:

I'm trying to set a picture I took as the desktop. ie., all five pages contain the picture, so when I scroll left and right I see more of the image. Every wallpaper I download from Zedge has this feature. So how come when I try to 'Set picture as Home screen wallpaper', it forces me to crop the image so it only fits the main home screen??

suffah

Does maths and stuff
So does anyone have a control list for the Galaxy S3 headphones?

I know that:
+/- increase/decrease controls.
The main button pauses/plays
Pressing the main button while getting a call picks up the phone
Pressing the volume buttons while getting a call mutes the ringtone

What I'm mainly looking for is a way to use these to initiate phone calls. The main thing that I used my headset for on the iPhone was to hold the main button, say "Call <contact name>" and then talk to the person. Is there any way I can do something similar with these?

You can double click main button to go to next track.

Dunno how to initiate a call though, sorry.

A.Romero

Camera/Wallpaper question:

I'm trying to set a picture I took as the desktop. ie., all five pages contain the picture, so when I scroll left and right I see more of the image. Every wallpaper I download from Zedge has this feature. So how come when I try to 'Set picture as Home screen wallpaper', it forces me to crop the image so it only fits the main home screen??

set the wallpaper from within quickpic. It did it for me.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
First thing I did was move my Google Authenticator over to my new phone. After that, it was side loading the Amazon App store. They offer a free app of the day, so definitely check that out. Next thing I did was get Swype because the default T9(?) is horrendous.

I purchased Beautiful Widgets, a while ago and I think it's great, grabbed Chrome (but it's not working with the GB site all that well for videos right now)

Set up your music player (it's Amazon for me), podcast player be it something free or maybe a good paid one.

There's so much of a personal preference, it's hard to say.
I'll definitely check the Amazon App store, and take a look at that Swype thing. Don't plan on using Chrome, I'm loyal to Opera till death do us part :p

And regarding the music player, the native one seems good enough for me, at least not worse than the one my old Nokia 5800 had, but I won't lose anything by taking a look at the one you mentioned.

So my Vodafone S3 prompted for an update yesterday. Don't really notice any difference other than the browser which has thankfully had its refresh button placed on the right side of the url bar and closer to the middle of the screen.

turnbuckle

I had 2 screen breaks on my Galaxy S2 in the past 4 months. Instead of constantly paying $100 deductibles to get it repaired I decided to buy this instead. The first time my S2 screen cracked was completely my fault; the second time...I'm not even sure how it happened. I mean, I know it happened when I dropped my phone; but it wasn't a very high drop (less than 3 feet) and the phone looks like a truck ran over it.

From what I read it was supposed to be pretty durable. I had an iphone 3G that took a lot more abuse, and my EVO was a tank. Now I'm nervous with the S3 and looking to find a case to go with it. I don't want anything too big or bulky, but I do want some piece of mind. I went with the blue model as my roommate has the white one. I think I prefer the blue one's aesthetic but it might be harder finding a case that looks attractive with it compared to a white one.

So after only a month of use, my phone is really slowing down :( I don't even have that many things running in the background(I think).

Whats worse, it doesnt seem like my apps quit properly. I have to go in an manually Force Stop my parking app so I can pay for my spot the next day. This has never happened with my previous phones.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I had 2 screen breaks on my Galaxy S2 in the past 4 months. Instead of constantly paying $100 deductibles to get it repaired I decided to buy this instead. The first time my S2 screen cracked was completely my fault; the second time...I'm not even sure how it happened. I mean, I know it happened when I dropped my phone; but it wasn't a very high drop (less than 3 feet) and the phone looks like a truck ran over it.

From what I read it was supposed to be pretty durable. I had an iphone 3G that took a lot more abuse, and my EVO was a tank. Now I'm nervous with the S3 and looking to find a case to go with it. I don't want anything too big or bulky, but I do want some piece of mind. I went with the blue model as my roommate has the white one. I think I prefer the blue one's aesthetic but it might be harder finding a case that looks attractive with it compared to a white one.

Yeah get a case. I am a cellphone destroyer and the S2 is the first phone that has lasted more than 6 months (10 so far) in like 7 years. Though the power button suddenly failed for a few hours the other day.

Wrayfield

So after only a month of use, my phone is really slowing down :( I don't even have that many things running in the background(I think).

Whats worse, it doesnt seem like my apps quit properly. I have to go in an manually Force Stop my parking app so I can pay for my spot the next day. This has never happened with my previous phones.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Nope. FYI, I always quit my apps by holding the Home button (or whatever it's called) and quittiing them all so as not too charge it too often. Perhaps you can return yours?

Top Bottom