• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Phoenix

So... maxy payne mobile isn't compatible with the S3?

It will be, give them some time to test. A crazy amount of testing has to go into making sure that various bits and settings don't break software (or allow it to work on a particular device). For example here is my current development/testing bench:

A2F9EFAB-890C-4624-BCEB-E6DE8728303C.JPG

This is JUST for Samsung Galaxy class devices. Whomever thought that fragmentation wasn't a big issue is smoking crack - or just doesn't develop for the platform.

Finally eligible for an upgrade so I went ahead and ordered a 16GB Pebble Blue S3 off Amazon Wireless. Can't wait. It should come on Thursday. I was originally going to get the 32GB version from the Sprint store, but that would mean paying an extra $100 thanks to Amazon's pricing on the 16GB version.

You served me well Epic 4G, but I'm afraid I must move on.

Have you hopped on board yet Faceless?

LogicStep

So what the hell is causing this for me? Two days now I plug in my phone to leave it charging over night and I find my phone with the screen on and super hot.

A.Romero

So what the hell is causing this for me? Two days now I plug in my phone to leave it charging over night and I find my phone with the screen on and super hot.

In the developer menu there is an option for keeping the screen on when on usb.

Check if it's activated.

Sappy113

Maybe one of you guys can give me a quick piece of advice? Would be much appreciated.

I'm looking to, finally, upgrade my old HTC Desire. Now, price IS an issue for me, so I'm looking for pointers whether to go with the cheaper Galaxy Nexus or if I'd be better off, now and in the long run, shelling out extra for the S3?

As I said, price is an issue, but not so much of an issue that I can't disregard it, if the S3 is a massive upgrade compared to the Nexus.

Thanks!

Finally eligible for an upgrade so I went ahead and ordered a 16GB Pebble Blue S3 off Amazon Wireless. Can't wait. It should come on Thursday. I was originally going to get the 32GB version from the Sprint store, but that would mean paying an extra $100 thanks to Amazon's pricing on the 16GB version.

You served me well Epic 4G, but I'm afraid I must move on.

Have you hopped on board yet Faceless?

not until December.

i'll survive on CM9, plus CM10 nightlies are going out, an alpha/beta can't be far off, i'll survive!

also hoping for Sprint to surprise me with a Note 2 announcement...

Maybe one of you guys can give me a quick piece of advice? Would be much appreciated.

I'm looking to, finally, upgrade my old HTC Desire. Now, price IS an issue for me, so I'm looking for pointers whether to go with the cheaper Galaxy Nexus or if I'd be better off, now and in the long run, shelling out extra for the S3?

As I said, price is an issue, but not so much of an issue that I can't disregard it, if the S3 is a massive upgrade compared to the Nexus.

Thanks!
what cost difference are you talking here? contract/subsidy?

beje

Banned
Hmm. I don't know. That does not sound very good. I keep it on auto brightness. Here's my usage this morning, 12 percent and about 40 minutes of screen time already in 3.5 hours off the charger:

Screenshot_2012-09-02-10-39-28.png

Screenshot_2012-09-02-10-39-35.png

That cell standby is not looking good. I'm pretty sure you have poor 3G/4G reception in your area (or the particular building you're in) and the phone is constantly jumping between all bands which kills the battery life. I leave mine constantly at 2G (GSM/EDGE) which is more than enough for sync, IM, mail, mobile-formated web, twitter, etc... and only activate 3G/UMTS when I'm doing some data intensive task like Youtube. And yes, it can impact the battery life even when you're surfing on Wifi.

mantidor

The phone heating up while charging is normal, if its still hot after fully charged then there might be a problem.

Also check the router fuction, it might be activated and it makes your cellphone a router hub, that heats up phones like nothing else, and I think it doesn't show in the battery breakdown since is part of the OS.

As a last resort, disable wi-fi, data and all conections, if its still draining battery and overheating there might be a problem with the phone itself.

Kyou

That cell standby is not looking good. I'm pretty sure you have poor 3G/4G reception in your area (or the particular building you're in) and the phone is constantly jumping between all bands which kills the battery life. I leave mine constantly at 2G (GSM/EDGE) which is more than enough for sync, IM, mail, mobile-formated web, twitter, etc... and only activate 3G/UMTS when I'm doing some data intensive task like Youtube. And yes, it can impact the battery life even when you're surfing on Wifi.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

That's why my phone lasts forever on weekends and can barely make it through a day at work

mike23

The cell standby number is a bug in the firmware. If I remember right, it's configured as 30 watts instead of 3 or something like that. So it just skews the graph, not the actual battery usage

LogicStep

The phone heating up while charging is normal, if its still hot after fully charged then there might be a problem.

Also check the router fuction, it might be activated and it makes your cellphone a router hub, that heats up phones like nothing else, and I think it doesn't show in the battery breakdown since is part of the OS.

As a last resort, disable wi-fi, data and all conections, if its still draining battery and overheating there might be a problem with the phone itself.
It started doing this 2 days ago.
In the developer menu there is an option for keeping the screen on when on usb.

Check if it's activated.
It isn't. I'm guessing it's hot because the screen is on for hours since I wake up and it's like that.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The cell standby number is a bug in the firmware. If I remember right, it's configured as 30 watts instead of 3 or something like that. So it just skews the graph, not the actual battery usage

This. Some versions have had patches to have that fixed, US Verizon has not yet been patched, so I am still on the old glitchy display version. I dont even pay attention to the percentages screen, its the details screen that matters.

snack

I youtube'd the Galaxy SIII promo vids and only noticed buddy sharing. Right now, I am waiting for what Apple has up their sleeves for their Sept. 12th unveiling. If they don't surprise me with anything I don't already know, I'm thinking about jumping ship to Samsung and purchasing a SIII possibly. What are the pros of the SIII though? I only really know of its media buddy sharing thing.

Altazor

I youtube'd the Galaxy SIII promo vids and only noticed buddy sharing. Right now, I am waiting for what Apple has up their sleeves for their Sept. 12th unveiling. If they don't surprise me with anything I don't already know, I'm thinking about jumping ship to Samsung and purchasing a SIII possibly. What are the pros of the SIII though? I only really know of its media buddy sharing thing.

if you haven't read any reviews, I recommend reading this one from GSM Arena. It's fairly thorough and you can skip to the end if you're bored.

As for me, I love this phone. I love how thin, light and fast it is, especially compared my OG Galaxy S. Also, DAT SCREEN.

snack

if you haven't read any reviews, I recommend reading this one from GSM Arena. It's fairly thorough and you can skip to the end if you're bored.

As for me, I love this phone. I love how thin, light and fast it is, especially compared my OG Galaxy S. Also, DAT SCREEN.

I'm gonna give this review a read. Thanks!

What cases do you SIII users use? And from my understanding... there seems to be many versions of the SIII out there. What version is highly recommended?

Emily Chu

Banned
It will be, give them some time to test. A crazy amount of testing has to go into making sure that various bits and settings don't break software (or allow it to work on a particular device). For example here is my current development/testing bench:

This is JUST for Samsung Galaxy class devices. Whomever thought that fragmentation wasn't a big issue is smoking crack - or just doesn't develop for the platform.

looking at this pic makes me think it won't be too far fetch for a slimmer bezel 7" phone ala Nexus 7 to make an appearance....

Anyone running custom ROM?

I'm still running Speed Rom based on CM10 8/20 which was excellent but the lack of updates is killing me. Honestly XDA-Devs kind of confuses me because the SIII section seems so unorganized. Never been this confused in my Win6.x days.

Angst

I'm still running Speed Rom based on CM10 8/20 which was excellent but the lack of updates is killing me. Honestly XDA-Devs kind of confuses me because the SIII section seems so unorganized. Never been this confused in my Win6.x days.

I prefer to stick with CM proper so I don't have to wait ages for updates. (I have the SGS II though, so memory leak is a non-issue for me)

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'm gonna give this review a read. Thanks!

What cases do you SIII users use? And from my understanding... there seems to be many versions of the SIII out there. What version is highly recommended?

There are many cases, what type do you prefer, whole phone, thick, thin, bumper style, flip cover?

And there are really only two versions. Outside US with a quad core and 1GB of ram and inside US with dual core and 2 gb of ram. They seem to perform equally, so its just a matter of where you are in the world. The phone is the same across all providers. Oh, there is also the 16gb/32gb choice, but it has a SD slot, so its not as important of a distinction ultimately.

snack

There are many cases, what type do you prefer, whole phone, thick, thin, bumper style, flip cover?

And there are really only two versions. Outside US with a quad core and 1GB of ram and inside US with dual core and 2 gb of ram. They seem to perform equally, so its just a matter of where you are in the world. The phone is the same across all providers. Oh, there is also the 16gb/32gb choice, but it has a SD slot, so its not as important of a distinction ultimately.

I prefer a thin bumper style case/whole phone case. I'd love it to be as skinny and thin as possible. That'd be the best!

pr0cs

nice looking case but not for $89 + shipping.
Really there are a bunch of decent cases from china for the device, most can be had for < $10, you can buy a lot of them for 89 and likely find one you can live with.

HildyB

I'm running WanamLite on my ATT S3. Just gets rid of some of the AT&T bloatware and tightens up performance a bit with a tweak here and there. I get around 16hours till I hit 30% or so. Not bad for being in an LTE area as well.

I do flash to CM10 from time to time, but it still has many little hitches that prevent me from staying on it (like phone and camera issues).

I just ordered a case, there's a coupon code that takes off 27 dollars. Makes it a little bit more doable.

F2TOGMC5TU7 if anyone is interested.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
Currently have an iPhone 4 but with the leaks of the iPhone 5, I'm considering moving back to Android for many reasons. Is this the phone to get, or is there something new for Android coming out in the near future?

see5harp

That looks incredibly stupid to me.

kaskade

So how easy is it to root this and put cyanogen mod or a stock rom on it? I'm leaning towards the phone since it looks like T-Mobile isn't getting the iPhone but I'm not the biggest fan of having a custom android.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So how easy is it to root this and put cyanogen mod or a stock rom on it? I'm leaning towards the phone since it looks like T-Mobile isn't getting the iPhone but I'm not the biggest fan of having a custom android.

Easy. Flash a rooted stock rom with Odin, install CWM, and flash away. CM10 is excellent now.

Ricky_R

Ok I'm going to keep this simple. I've been having some reception issues with my S3. Interception in middle of many calls, calls dropped, text messages won't be received or sent. Anyway, general reception/signal issues.

I started doing some reading on the web and, to my surprise, it's a known issue. So my questions are... Is there an update out, to fix this issue? Is anybody here having the same issues? etc, etc. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom